PDA

View Full Version : Name that Soda !

Damon
03-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Well I thought this would be a great place to get some suggestions for my best friend. He has decided to come out with a new line of Soda's made with real sugar. The flavors are Lemon Lime Bitter, Vanilla Cream, Orangesicle, and Crispy Cola.

All suggestions welcomed.

fusion
03-11-2005, 12:56 AM
Bitter isn't something that comes to mind as being a good adjective to describe a soda.

Also, why the mainstream flavors? Why not something really original or different? Everyone does lemon lime, cream, orange, and cola.

Damon
03-11-2005, 02:15 AM
Good point what would you suggest?

Kyle101
03-11-2005, 05:43 AM
why come out with something new and different if you can plug into a drink that's already here successful and popular, don't fix what's not broken

Damon
03-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Who is offering great tasting sodas in a variety of flavors in glass made with real cane sugar?

Christian Prickett
03-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Does Sum Poosie? Mmm, I bet it does.

Damon
03-11-2005, 08:40 PM
What flavors would that be Dr. Pepperman? Are they in glass?

fusion
03-11-2005, 10:20 PM
What a shame.. You aren't even familiar with Dr Pepper West Jefferson? They are legends around here.

Yes, they make their stuff in glass.

Damon
03-12-2005, 12:45 AM
What brands and flavors do they make at this fine establishment?

Is everything they make made with real sugar?

teamtitan512
03-12-2005, 01:40 AM
Dr Pepper, Mountain Dew (They're one of 2 non-Pepsi bottlers to have it....the other is Royal Crown of Winchester, VA), Nehi, A&W Root Beer, RC, and some other DPSU products.

Hacksaw
03-12-2005, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Damon:
Who is offering great tasting sodas in a variety of flavors in glass made with real cane sugar?

Whooppee Soda makes some fine flavor in glass with real cane sugar.

I think Fanta is the only one doing a Currant Soda, & that's only in Africa. Fanta also does a Squash Punch, but that may not go over too well. tongue.gif

Damon
03-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Doesn't seem like there is much out there in the way of variety. Sounds like a new brand with a variety of flavors would do well. Any suggestions for the new BRAND Name?

bigbottom
03-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Forget a bout it! If anything there are to many flavored sodas floating around and NOOOOOOOO Margins for the manufacturers! It use to cost a $1.00 to ship a case, now it cost closer to $2.65 to ship and of course I am speaking about going LTL. No one is buying in truckloads anymore I don't care what brand it is. Minimal inventory and lower the overhead. The glass has increased, the sugar, the caps and the syrup has all went up. However the Distributor, retailer and final consumer will not pay more and it has become a losing proposition across the board for manufacturers for the most part. Look at Jones for instance. Yes there sales were up 56% and they did close to 30 million but made NOOOOOOO profit so in essence they are taking money from there left hand and putting it in there right hand. Hi margin items are getting more and more to be an illusion as Distributors, Retailers live and breath the Wall Mart mentality. Ouch!!!!!!!!!! Jones gummies, lip balm and now freeze pops anyone?

Damon
03-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the info bigbottom you make a strong case for not using quality ingredients and making a really fine product. However, my friend still believes strongly that a throw back product made the way it was in the 50's and 60's will do well. Any suggestions for a brand name?

By the way we buy SP in truckloads every month!

Startup Dude
03-13-2005, 08:52 AM
what about 'Energydude's Juice'?

boodoo
03-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Damon,

One would do well to heed the advise from bigbottom! I am one who absolutely loves a high quality, pure cane sugar product but a start-up manufacturer is pushing a rope uphill.

Tell e-dude...uhh...I mean "your friend", that he better do his homework and then do it again before jumping on board.

Damon
03-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Will the market not support a quality style Soda Drink?
Will people not buy great flavors made with sugar and bottled in glass? By the way how come no one can come up with a single name? Does no one have an idea for a new quality brand made the old fashioned way?

drpep
03-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Whoops, I forgot my vow not to reply to any of Edude's posts. I deleted the one I made above.

[ 03-13-2005, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]

Damon
03-13-2005, 06:51 PM
Glad to see everyone is so full of great ideas! Can anyone offer a few ideas for a cool brand name for an old style soda?

boodoo
03-13-2005, 10:24 PM
Perhaps our silence speaks volumes.

Damon
03-14-2005, 08:43 AM
Perhaps it does. Seems like everyone on this board is afraid to exchange ideas and thoughts because they will be ridiculed. Comments are just comments and easily dispensed, seems ideas and thoughts are a little harder to come by.

Kyle101
03-14-2005, 12:19 PM
I don't think it's that. I think it's the fact that when someone put's their opinion out there, someone else attacks the person and not their opinion. They don't look at it objectively they just say no your wrong and here's why.

The Truth
03-14-2005, 01:26 PM
There are a lot of good cane sugar drinks out there.

RC Cola, Nehi, Woopie, Boylans.

Just look at any of the ****** soda stores.

Christian Prickett
03-14-2005, 02:13 PM
I don't think you could market a glass bottle with real cane sugar and be as successful as they were in the 50's and 60's. That time has passed. It is better to market a drink as a tea, fruit juice, or something other than cola.

I have a client now that is looking at making a drink and to turn profits, the raw materials for the drink, bottle, and cap needs to cost less that 70 cents to make. At that rate, if you sell your beverage for $1.00, after shipping costs, your looking at 10 cents apiece profit, not very much. I imagine that if your using quality ingredients and a glass bottle, some would consider charging around $1.50 to $1.89 for a finished product due to quality and cost for that quality. If that is the case, I can't see it being in the soda market with Coke who sells at less than a dollar.

Specialty products are where it is at (tea, energy drinks, fruit drinks) cause of the market control of soda is dominated by a few and it doesn't give room for very many others to compete. Look at the shelf space for soda in your local 7-11, Sheetz, etc and see that most spots are already taken by the companies that are established.

I'm not saying that anyone can't come up with a successful soda, but I think that the challenge in the soda-pop market is greater than any other field. Too many established names mean the there are not alot of space for new ones. I wish you luck Energy Dude, but bigbottom has it right.

Damon
03-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Once again, anyone have a few interesting new brand names that might catch on? People will pay for quality, maybe not in a Walmart but maybe a Whole Foods store!

DaveR
03-15-2005, 07:01 AM
Why's everybody reluctant to suggest a name. It doesn't mean you would pony-up the money for a risky product.

How about My Friends Old Time Soda Pop, just to get the ball rolling?

NRGChick
03-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Not that I know too much, but I'd have to suggest "Fountain 50's", or something to that affect. New to this so go easy on me! *smiles*

Damon
03-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks guys two very good suggestions. something with a 60's feel to it is a great idea the 60's and 70's bring back a lot of good memories for all of us.

How about Mom's Old Time Soda Pop !

Keep them coming!

stinkfinger
03-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by DaveR:
Why's everybody reluctant to suggest a name. It doesn't mean you would pony-up the money for a risky product.
Because the guy is Energydude or his puppet, thats why.

Damon
03-15-2005, 10:14 PM
So somehow I am dirty because you don't like the man I work for? Is your boss a great guy??

NRGChick
03-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Now Now Now guys... No need to get brutal.. Just some harmless convo... Opinions are a$$holes.. Everyone's got one.. So lighten up! :D

DaveR
03-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Yeah, seems like everybody's got a bone to pick with somebody, and they let it kill their creativity.
Another suggestion.
"Psychedelic Soda" with the tag line Old Time Soda Waters. :cool:

NRGChick
03-16-2005, 11:51 AM
That's a great one DaveR... So many good Ideas, why not throw em out there! ;)

Damon
03-16-2005, 07:27 PM
I like the idea of like a tie die label... a 60" kind of thing going on ... thanks!!!

ScottyLibido
03-18-2005, 08:17 PM
I think the reason is that your friend should do his own research, offer it to us and let us HELP him move the idea forward. You come in here and say "Gimme and name and some flavours! Do it now!"

That would be like coming on and saying, "I am thinking of opening a store. Someone tell me what to call it and what to sell." It's your business, come up with 20 names and we will'vote' and come up with 20 flavors and we will 'vote' Don;t come on here full of piss and vinegar and yell at everyone for not helping. Geez...

drpep
03-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by ScottyLibido:
Don;t come on here full of piss and vinegar and I think you offered a couple of names. ;)

longsean
03-20-2005, 09:27 PM
squash punch is the ****. they have that in seychelles as well. i totally forgot about it until it was mentioned in the thread.

Damon
03-27-2005, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the help Scotty.