PDA

View Full Version : To those of you in and around West Jefferson

01GTB
03-26-2006, 03:07 AM
I am still amazed at the fine product you guys have available. But I still have a few questions. I didn't get a chance to stick around when I was there to ask or observe.

How are the 12 ounce glass bottles sold around there? Just loose individual bottles in convenience stores, or can you buy six-packs at the supermarket? Can you find coin operated machines with these in them? Restaurants...can you walk in and get a BBQ sandwich and bottle of Cheerwine, Mountain Dew, Nehi Grape, etc?

drpep
03-26-2006, 10:11 PM
I've never been to West Jefferson but in nearby areas I've only seen the product sold as singles.

nWoAssassin94
03-26-2006, 11:53 PM
I've been to West Jefferson several times, but I never really paid attention to the drinks they had there. I'm going back there on Friday (3/31) so I'll let you know something when I get back!

01GTB
03-26-2006, 11:59 PM
It would be cool of you to scout that out. I also am envious of those of you who can just "head over to WJ." :D I hope to find a reason to get back up there in the next month or two to get a "few" more cases. I am taking the truck this time ;)

[ 03-26-2006, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: 01GTB ]

Cheer-wined
03-27-2006, 10:08 PM
C-stores sell singles, some supermarkets (notably Lowe's) sell 6-packs. You can find mom & pop stores that stock enough to sell you a case. There are plenty of small restaurants around NC where you can get a bottle with your meal. That's pretty common.

The only place I've seen the longnecks in modern vending machines are at the DPWJ bottling plant and at the warehouse on 163. If you've been in the warehouse you've seen the vending machine - it's different.

Almost every "regular" vending machine in town is Dr Pepper-branded. There are a couple of Mountain Dews and a 7Up but 90% is DP. You will also notice that Coke and Pepsi vending machines are rare up here. Fountain service at local restaurants is often RC, Cheerwine, Mountain Dew, Dr P, Welch's.

I'm just used to it - people around here don't think twice about seeing a visi-cooler full of glass.

DPWJ produces so many different brands, most c-stores can't stock them all. For example one store might carry Nehi orange but another one always has Crush or Sunkist. Same with Welch's and Nehi grape. My favorite c-store carries as many as 20 different glass bottles in the summertime.

The "new look" bottles for C-S brands are out now. They're pretty plain, white lettering only, colors are gone - 7up and A&W, for example. The new Nehi bottles are an exception - they have a green background - looks kinda strange.
http://home.triad.rr.com/coolmoon/DPWJ_new.jpg

DPWJ also recently started making Big Red, but it's HFCS. It looks like they've recently gained territory in bordering counties in TN/VA from ABC and All-American. Both of those bottlers had Big Red so maybe DPWJ was obligated to continue with the brand.

http://home.triad.rr.com/coolmoon/Crush_Big_Red.jpg
[old Crush, new Crush, Big Red from DPWJ]

And if that's not enough - DPWJ also carries Dr Enuf & TC's from Tri-City. Nesbitt's lemonade in glass also appears to be coming from TC.

One thing you won't find in a normal retail outlet around here is Sundrop in glass bottles. Sundrop is with CCBCC and they don't buy from DPWJ. So buy that one at the warehouse if you have a chance.

OK, so it's a rambling post, but what do you expect on a Monday...

[ 04-30-2006, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Cheer-wined ]

Cheer-wined
03-27-2006, 10:50 PM
ps for those of you who don't want to drive all the way up here ... a place I forgot to mention is the Abbott Farms store at exit 83 off I-85 near Spartanburg SC. They sell DPWJ product by the case ($22, no DP or MD though) and their own brand of root beer Kangaroo Jack. Case sales are so popular here they've got a billboard on I-85 advertising it.
http://home.triad.rr.com/coolmoon/Kangaroo%20Jacks.jpg
If you do come to WJ though, I would recommend a stop at 163 Grocery, a mom & pop c-store between the DPWJ warehouse and NC 16. They always have an odd assortment in glass - today they had different flavors of Izze, GuS, Pangelheimer's, Red Rock, Blenheim (1903 and #5), Nehi, some of the scarcer Cool Mountain flavors like root beer, and other longnecks. They also sell single cans like Nehi peach, Brownie, etc.

[ 04-18-2006, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Cheer-wined ]

Mana211
03-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Darn, I'm 200 miles from West Jefferson and exit 83. And for those of you checking a map I'm in TN not
Sanford, NC.

01GTB
03-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Cheer-wined, thanks for the detailed reply. One thing I totally missed when I was at the warehouse was the vending machines. I had heard about it before and totally didn't see them. I was so surprised that they welcomed me in after they were technically closed, that I made a beeline to what I needed so I could get out of their hair. Not that they ever acted like I was causing them the least bit of trouble.

Do the Lowe's food stores have them in the cardboard totes like old returnables? They sell for about $5 a six-pack or so? That's pretty interesting about the place in Spartanburg. Too bad no DP though.

Thanks again for all the info. I have a lot of questions about this kind of stuff :D It would be so cool to walk in and get a burger and a longneck DP. I guess it's only strange to me because we don't have it here. My mom is retired and hints that one day she would like to open a small sandwich shop or eatery. I think bottled soda would be a great way to seperate her place from any other.

The Truth
03-28-2006, 11:21 AM
6 pack cartona are available for RC, NEHI AND CHEERWINE.

The Truth
03-28-2006, 03:15 PM
My understading is that the BIG RED is cane. Thats all they do.

Cheer-wined
04-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by 01GTB:
Do the Lowe's food stores have them in the cardboard totes like old returnables? They sell for about $5 a six-pack or so? Yes they are in cardboard totes. RC, Moutain Dew, Cheerwine, Nehi (all 3), and once in a while A&W - root beer is not a big seller here. Assortment varies but usually at least 3 kinds. Price is around $4.50.

BottleBoss
04-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Did you say that they have Nesbits Lemonade in glass there now?

Cheer-wined
04-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by BottleBoss:
Did you say that they have Nesbits Lemonade in glass there now? Yes - it's shown up in the last month, in c-stores. Very good product IMO. The plant code on the bottle is TC, which should be Tri-Cities Beverage in Johnson City TN.

01GTB
04-16-2006, 12:43 PM
West Jefferson doesn't bottle their own two-liter Dr Peppers do they? So no cane sugar to be found there?

dahojo
04-16-2006, 02:18 PM
TriCities is doing Nesbits Orange & Lemonade plus Nugrape, also 19 flavors of Boylans.

Cheer-wined
04-16-2006, 09:05 PM
I haven't seen the orange or NuGrape yet. I will be in Johnson City within the next couple of weeks so I'll look for it.

DPWJ doesn't run anything but glass. The cans and PET come from IBC or Carolina Canners.