PDA

View Full Version : Fountain Dr. Pepper...

Rob The SURGE Drinker
11-25-2006, 09:27 PM
i just noticed this today and it confuses me. In my area, Pepsi distributes dr pepper in cans, and bottles, but on fountain, it can be found on both Pepsi fountains and Coke ones. How is this?

fusion
11-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Fountain contracts are different than bottle/can contracts.

David J.
11-25-2006, 11:25 PM
When I was at BK, the Dr. Pepper had a different nozzle... it was the same one that Pepsi uses. And Coke bottles/cans DP here, so I found it odd.

But we never got our beverages directly from coke or pepsi. So I think Pepsi deals with fountain DP in my area, because BK is the *only* place that has fountain coke that has DP... everyplace else has Pibb Xtra. I take that back, I think Mcdonalds might have Dr. Pepper, but I doubt it.

fusion
11-26-2006, 05:46 AM
With the chains, the bag in box or tanks come right off the same truck that delivers everything else. And other places get theirs from their foodservice distributor.

The local bottlers do sell a good bit of bag in box, though. We carry a pretty good variety of the well known brands.. Coke, Sprite, Diet Coke, Nestea, etc.. plus a line of Master Pour mixers for bar guns. For some reason, I think we also had Fanta Ginger Ale instead of Master Pour Ginger Ale for a short time as well.

doug1885
11-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Ah, that might explain how certain sites of the big restaurant chains manage to have Dr Pepper that is SO MUCH BETTER than other places in town. It almost made me think that they were using less HFCS, and more sucrose (do the chains have control on that aspect of the production process?).

-Doug

mofizz
11-27-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by doug1885:
Ah, that might explain how certain sites of the big restaurant chains manage to have Dr Pepper that is SO MUCH BETTER than other places in town. It almost made me think that they were using less HFCS, and more sucrose (do the chains have control on that aspect of the production process?).

-Doug It's all about the brix, or the ratio of syrup to soda water. The brix on soft drinks should be 5 parts water to 1 part syrup. I work for a Pepsi bottler and we used to have Dr. Peppper fountain. We would always go a bit heavy on the Pepper syrup and still do on the Pepsi. Its what makes it taste so much better. Chains have absolutely no control over the prodution standards or specs. Most major chains get product via foodservice truck while local format accounts get theirs off the Pepsi or Coke truck depending on who has the rights.

JACK
11-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Great information. Why did your company drop Dr. Pepper?? What did you replace it with?? Were customers upset??

The best fountain drinks depend on the brix, quality of water, quality of ice and cleanliness of the fountain equipment.

Remember when you pour a fountain drink you are mixing the drink right there and unlike bottle can sometimes factors affect the quality of the drink.

mofizz
11-29-2006, 03:57 PM
We only had Dr. Pepper fountain, no bottle and can. We dropped for many reasons. Our cost on it was high, we recieved no support or funding from Dr.Pepper/Seven-Up for equipment, and on top of it Pepsico paid us a lump sum to drop it and take on Dr.Slice which they later dropped. We now have Cheerwine fountain, bottle, and can. This replaced Dr.Slice. Some customers were upset, however they understood the situation and not one customer switched to Coke.

Also, it is thought throughout the beverage world that fountain is designed to boost bottle and can brand loyalty. We compete directly with Dr.Pepper in bottle and can so it didn't make much sense for us to push it when we could help our own cause with Wild Cherry Pepsi, Cheerwine, Dt.Dew, etc...

[ 11-29-2006, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: mofizz ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
11-29-2006, 09:58 PM
cheerwine on fountain? that is awesome... i would like to find some of that.

fusion
11-29-2006, 10:33 PM
When I visited NC, plenty of places had it on fountain.

doug1885
12-20-2006, 04:59 PM
mofizz wrote:
>It's all about the brix, or the ratio of syrup to soda water. The brix on soft drinks should be 5 parts water to 1 part syrup. I work for a Pepsi bottler and we used to have Dr. Peppper fountain. We would always go a bit heavy on the Pepper syrup and still do on the Pepsi. Its what makes it taste so much better.
-----
I've done some experimenting, and I'm not sure that's all it is. With Dr Pepper, increasing the standard 1:5 proportion by 10-15% makes it better, but not as good as what I've had at certain fountains (usually at *particular* locations of fast food restaurants). Around 30% enriched it starts tasting "syrupy" to me :).

Maybe it's something to do with the CO2 and water part of the mix. Could they be forcing the water to hold more carbonation somehow?

-Doug

mofizz
12-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Maybe it's something to do with the CO2 and water part of the mix. Could they be forcing the water to hold more carbonation somehow?

-Doug [/QB]This is true, particularly with newer fountain machines that have Intellicarb technology. It is supposed to help make a fountain drink taste as if it were out of a fresh bottle. I don't know how Intellicarb works, but all new Pepsi machines have it from Cornelius.

Mr Zabe
12-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Sure it could be that or a few other things.

1. Quality of water(ultra filtered/non filtered).

2. Quality of daily maintenance of fountain (nozzles).

3. Quality of ice due to quality of water.

4. Taste differences due to seasoning of food served. (Just my arm chair insight of eating at many different kinds of fast food resturants.

[ 12-20-2006, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

doug1885
12-21-2006, 03:45 PM
mofizz wrote:
>This is true, particularly with newer fountain machines that have Intellicarb technology. It is supposed to help make a fountain drink taste as if it were out of a fresh bottle. I don't know how Intellicarb works, but all new Pepsi machines have it from Cornelius.

There's some documentation at cornelius.com. Apparently it delivers chilled water to the carbonator to get as much CO2 into the mix as possible. (There's an associated portable CO2 measurer that sounds interesting -- you shake a container and measure the pressure as the CO2 leaves the soda. I wonder how hard it would be to make one of these.)

I wonder if Intellicarb is responsible for some "bitterer" fountain Dr Pepper I've had recently. Maybe they should be increasing the brix to compensate for the higher CO2.

-Doug

mofizz
12-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Good info.

CitrusCola
12-23-2006, 11:30 AM
With the outstanding lineup of drinks that Cadbury Schweppes has, you would think that they would offer fountain drinks, but that does not seem to be the case -- at least not around central North Carolina.

Mr Zabe
12-23-2006, 02:06 PM
I have seen in my travels in the Chicago and greater metropolitan area of Chicago about 3 or 4 CS fountains. There is one in Vernon Hills,Il located in Burrito Restaurant. It's maintained ok. The other fountains were dirty and were not drinkable IMO.

Yes, CS fountains in the Chicago are rare.

[ 12-23-2006, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Blue Efficacy
12-23-2006, 08:47 PM
What drinks did the CS fountain have?

Mr Zabe
12-23-2006, 11:26 PM
RC,7up,Diet Rite Cola,Diet 7up...I'm not sure if there was DP or not. Also Sunkist Orange.

My memory is not 100% but this is my recollection. smile.gif

CitrusCola
12-24-2006, 10:24 AM
I sure would like to see that fountain lineup available around here!

mofizz
12-26-2006, 09:57 AM
I have the best of both worlds here. My local fountain lineup includes both sundrop and cheerwine (on the pepsi fountain of course). Both selections really help us beat up coke around here when it comes to fountain.