PDA

View Full Version : Coke with Lime. Is the end near?

jmyjunk
03-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Just a light hearted discussion about the future of this product.
I was at my local supermarket last night having a look down the soda aisle, and noticed that the packaging for Coke with Lime has not been updated to the new fridge pack design. Heck, C2 has been, but not Coke with lime.
The shelves are getting crowed, and it seems to me there's not a loyal following like there was with Vanilla Coke.
The product itself was not that great. The lime was just a hint, and more artificial tasting.
I don't see as many 20oz any more as well.
Thoughts?

[ 03-28-2006, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: jmyjunk ]

mjb1124
03-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I'm not that crazy about Coke with Lime either. I think Pepsi did a better job with their lime colas.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-28-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by jmyjunk:
The product itself was not that great. The lime was just a hint, and more artificial tasting. I agree, the lime taste of Coke with Lime is too artificial, nothing compared with the natural lime taste of the disappeared mexican Coca-Cola Citra and Coca-Cola Citra Light, that is also disappearing very slowly...

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Pepsi did better with all of the flavored colas in my opinion.

The only reason I've noticed that the Coke w/ Lime packaging hasn't changed is because it's EVERYWHERE.

It would be hard for me to believe that it's not popular, because I see just as much of it lying around(in all sizes) as Coke Classic.

DJHS

popologist
03-28-2006, 05:24 PM
instead of wasting everyone's time and money with flavored versions of coke that never really taste how we want. coke/pepsi should just sell pints of flavored syrups--vanilla, cherry, chocolate, etc.

that way, people could flavor their soft drink to taste... and WHEN they choose.

the profit margins for syrups would be just as high as the soft drink itself, if not higher. and it would save coke a lot of money on researching, developing, promoting, and ,ultimately, cancelling it's sub-standard flavored colas.

the syrups could come in a pint-size glass bottle... with a pump on the top. smile.gif

popologist
03-28-2006, 05:37 PM
i just submitted my idea to coca-cola.com. ;)

jmyjunk
03-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by popologist:
instead of wasting everyone's time and money with flavored versions of coke that never really taste how we want. coke/pepsi should just sell pints of flavored syrups--vanilla, cherry, chocolate, etc.

that way, people could flavor their soft drink to taste... and WHEN they choose.

the profit margins for syrups would be just as high as the soft drink itself, if not higher. and it would save coke a lot of money on researching, developing, promoting, and ,ultimately, cancelling it's sub-standard flavored colas.

the syrups could come in a pint-size glass bottle... with a pump on the top. smile.gif That's not a bad idea.
Though the flavor syrups are out there already. I use a raspberry syrup to flavor my diet coke.

Coke should jump on that band wagon. But the only down side to that is America consumer culture. "You have to buy two product just to get Cherry Coke, I'm too lazy, just make it for me"
;)

[ 03-28-2006, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: jmyjunk ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-28-2006, 07:20 PM
also about that pump idea, you would have to purchase another product, therefore needing for money. and what about 20 oz bottles? when grabbing one for a quick drink, i wouldnt want to have to add in some suryp when im in a hurry. just my 3.14 cents

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-28-2006, 07:25 PM
coke/pepsi should just sell pints of flavored syrups--vanilla, cherry, chocolate, etc.Coke actually did it... Flavor Rage... but in packets... although like jmyjunk says, it would be a good idea to release new flavors like raspberry tongue.gif YUMMY!

[ 03-28-2006, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

popologist
03-28-2006, 07:44 PM
ok, so instead of flavor pumps, maybe coke could just implant a microchip into our heads, and... when we want raspberry coke... we just "will it"... and our brain will trick us into thinking we're drinking raspberry cola. ;)

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-28-2006, 09:45 PM
That's not a bad idea.
Though the flavor syrups are out there already.True, but the big soda behemoths have the ability to distribute it to the mainstream. It'd be nice to buy a dozen ounces of syrup for a reasonable amount of money in the grocery store than to buy a liter of the stuff from Starbucks at 10 dollars a bottle.

DJHS

Mr Zabe
03-28-2006, 09:53 PM
popologist,
Maybe not in our life time but it will not surprise me in the lest that in a hundred years or longer from now that there will be the technology to alter taste via brain implants or other devises.

Back a hundred years ago the micro wave oven and other electric devices were not even thought of.
So,today's wonderment is tomorrow's reality.

Glass soda pops are and will always be the universal best method of soda pop delivery. No science will change that. smile.gif

[ 03-28-2006, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

fusion
03-29-2006, 01:36 AM

I was at my local supermarket last night having a look down the soda aisle, and noticed that the packaging for Coke with Lime has not been updated to the new fridge pack design. Heck, C2 has been, but not Coke with lime.
Actually, our Coke w/ Lime boxes got a new bucket/tab design long before the rest of the boxes changed.. but they haven't gotten the new big can look, though.

But neither has Fanta Orange, Fanta Grape, Lemonade, Pink Lemonade, Fruit Punch, or Nestea (any flavor) in our area. But Light Lemonade just changed over the other day.

Fresca has the cans on the back like the new look, but the front is the same old look).

CStoreCatMan
03-29-2006, 02:35 PM
I think many of the cola extensions have become tiresome to the public. I think both Coke and Pepsi's Lime extensions fizzled pretty quickly compared to previous cola flavors like Cherry's or Vanilla's. Perhaps its time to do something really new and different...what hasn't been done yet? And I don't just mean more cola extensions...

I just thought of a drink I used to have all the time as a kid and I could only get it "made" in a restaurant. I'm talking about a Shirley Temple...those are tasty.

SURGE
03-29-2006, 11:09 PM
I totally agree it seems that Cola-xtensions are getting less and less popular with each iteration. BCVC seems to be following this trend as well.

DMC
03-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Fanta is going to get a new graphical design this summer, that's why their box hasn't changed. I'm surprised to see Sprite's box change though, as their new logo will also appear this summer. early designs show the fridgepack being all white, with the new sprite logo, same as the 2-liters and 20oz.

As far as Coke w/Lime, i don't know what CCE plans on doing, but i know we've yanked the last of the 20's in all of our C-stops, and are only selling Coke with Lime 12 packs.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-29-2006, 11:16 PM
My question is, why the Vanilla, Lemon and Lime extensions are being discontinued... while the cherry extensions have been in the market for more than 20 years!?

[ 03-29-2006, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

DMC
03-29-2006, 11:18 PM
for a flavor extension, cherry coke sells incredibly well, in my area anyways.

golee1
03-29-2006, 11:33 PM
We're selling more Diet Cherry than we are cherry these days.

We had discontinued Coke w/lime altogether, but we got force-fed two pallets about a month ago that we have yet to get rid of.

popologist
03-30-2006, 12:55 AM
the reason cherry coke has survived is because it actually tastes pretty decent.

all of the other coke extensions that i've tried tasted rather artificial. and i usually had any of them more than once... if i even finished the first one.

i still say that multi-packs would be a way to give the consumer what they want. but some of you made that sound impossible. but NOTHING'S impossible when there's money to be made.

popologist
03-30-2006, 01:04 AM
I just emailed Coke about the multi-pack thing.

Sure, they probably won't do it, but I really think they should.

It would give people a chance to try new drinks without buying a whole 2-liter or 12 pack of something they may or may not like.

Plus, not everyone in a family drinks the same beverages. Dad might like Classic. Mom might like Diet Coke. Sister likes Sprite. And little bro likes Cherry Coke.

They should just do this already!

mr jones
03-30-2006, 03:27 AM
cherry colas do very well here too...cherry pepsi is one of my favorites

someguytyping
04-06-2006, 08:55 PM
I used to put actual cherries in the bottom of a glass of vanilla coke and it tasted great, but that black cherry vanilla coke doesn't taste as good as that did. the main reason why they keep coming up with new ideas and products is to bulk up profits and keep the shareholders happy. I know for a fact before they came out with vanilla coke , coca cola did extensive market research and saw flavors being added to snacks, like lime to corn chips . and vanilla to cookies. and vanilla coke was to be just the start of brand new products, now coca cola comes out with dozens of new products each year if not more, hoping that a few will catch on, coca colas. biggest target is the enegry drink category. expect new enegry drinks. in the future.

someguytyping
04-06-2006, 09:02 PM
I also think cherry coke is most successfull flavor extension ever. it's been around for a long time ,and sells very well. and tastes great. I don't think wild cherry pepsi even comes close, the fact they changed the formula tells that maybe coca cola already has it's mountain dew, it's called cherry coke. also in a way I don't think sierra mist will ever take down sprite. just like vault or anything else coca cola comes up with similar will never out sell mountain dew.

pepsidew
04-06-2006, 09:19 PM
they probably have a ton of old coke w/ lime packaging to burn up

doulasc
05-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Just a light hearted discussion about the future of this product.
The shelves are getting crowed, and it seems to me there's not a loyal following like there was with Vanilla Coke.
The product itself was not that great. The lime was just a hint, and more artificial tasting.
I don't see as many 20oz any more as well.
Thoughts? Thats funny,Diet coke with lime has the newe fridge pak but Regular Coke with Lime does not.
Is coca cola going to drop Coke with Lime but
keep Diet coke with lime on?

Doug

Rob The SURGE Drinker
05-11-2006, 11:46 AM
coke and diet coke with lime is still kicking here, they both have the new fridgepack design, with the promotions on it, and they mysteriously have come back into 20 oz bottles, also with the promos on it... i havent had a lime cola in a trillion years... i think i will get some next time around

CStoreCatMan
05-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by someguytyping:
I also think cherry coke is most successfull flavor extension ever. it's been around for a long time ,and sells very well. and tastes great. I don't think wild cherry pepsi even comes close, the fact they changed the formula tells that maybe coca cola already has it's mountain dew, it's called cherry coke. Cherry Coke and Wild Cherry Pepsi sell at about the same rate here. Cherry Pepsi is definitely in our top 10...probably lands at about #6 or #7 in our SoCal CSD portfolio...

BTW, Have you tried the reforumlated Wild Cherry Pepsi? Pretty good...they did a great job with the Diet version too.

popologist
05-11-2006, 02:19 PM
i read an article a few weeks ago that said that coke zero is selling about the same as cherry coke (approximately 1% market share).

in my opinion, cherry coke tastes way better then that vanilla stuff.

Originally posted by someguytyping:
I also think cherry coke is most successfull flavor extension ever. it's been around for a long time ,and sells very well. and tastes great. I don't think wild cherry pepsi even comes close, the fact they changed the formula tells that maybe coca cola already has it's mountain dew, it's called cherry coke. also in a way I don't think sierra mist will ever take down sprite. just like vault or anything else coca cola comes up with similar will never out sell mountain dew.

Zap
05-11-2006, 04:01 PM
I couldn't agree more... I have put syrups in my soda for a long time, and the vanilla syrup (made with cane sugar, too, of course) was always better than the VC. I think Coke has gone astray by changing the Cherry Coke formula, and I don't honestly care for it as much anymore either.

SURGE
05-11-2006, 07:24 PM
i read an article a few weeks ago that said that coke zero is selling about the same as cherry coke (approximately 1% market share).
Thats pretty much what I hear. Zero and Cherry CoKe are about even though Diet Cherry does well too (maybe 2/3rds). Cherry Coke seems about 2x what Cherry Pepsi though Diet Cherry Pepsi seems to do quite a bit better an is only maybe 10% behind. Nationally the Cherries have been pretty stagnant lately though- most likely due to all these lame new cola extensions.

yankees26mlb
05-11-2006, 08:59 PM
who cares. Coke lime tastes like crap

Skynet
05-12-2006, 08:44 PM
I think it is some kind of curse for them getting rid of the only good new flavor they had, Vanilla Coke, now the rest will fall flat on their face smile.gif

popologist
05-13-2006, 07:28 AM
vanilla coke is a good idea... in theory... but it tasted awful... so artificial.

and that's been the same problem with ALL of coke's flavored colas.

i'm not sure if they're using cheap ingredients or what, but surely they could do better.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
05-13-2006, 03:45 PM
vanilla coke is a good idea... in theory... but it tasted awful... so artificial.If you could tried the mexican, it was really great...(sigh)

METAL HOUSTON
06-07-2006, 02:03 PM
When i first tried Lime Coke, I loved it so much that I went a few weeks without touching a Mello Yello - but now have gone back to my favorite.
I thought Lime Coke was the best thing Coke made since Mello Yello though still not as good.

doulasc
06-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Coke with Lime in Columbus Ohio can still be
found mostly in 12 packs at major grocery store
chains like Kroger and Giant Eagle.
Most conveinient stores do not carry coke with lime.

popologist
06-18-2006, 11:59 PM
if you want lime in your coke... just buy a real lime for a quarter and squeeze in a slice. geesh! ;)

Mr Zabe
06-19-2006, 12:01 AM
Well said!!!!!

Ram0n C0keah0lic
06-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Put the lime in the Coke you nut... :D
(That jingle is funny!)

Skynet
06-19-2006, 01:27 AM
Yeah the ads were funny. smile.gif Coke with Lime was ok but i knew it wasn't gonna last, heck you would have thought they were going to kill this before they would have thought to kill all the others they killed in the past years. They just can't ever make up their minds flavor wise can they?

[ 06-19-2006, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Skynet ]

nWoAssassin94
06-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Today at Wal-Mart, I saw Coca-Cola with Lime in the new style 12-packs. I guess it is here to stay!

pitch_spice
06-23-2006, 05:26 AM
Coke with lime > Black Cherry Vanilla Coke. I still wish coke made a regular version of the diet coke with lemon.

fusion
06-24-2006, 12:01 AM
I saw the "big can" graphic 12 pack Coke with Lime today as well.