PDA

View Full Version : Coke Zero

RC Yeah
03-21-2005, 03:05 PM
The new Coke Zero actually seems appealing. Its wierd that theyre Ebaying a sample of it though.

Robot
03-21-2005, 03:23 PM
what do you mean? i checked ebay and didnt see any "coke zero" ??

RC Yeah
03-21-2005, 04:29 PM
They are going to sell a sample on ebay in early april.

Here is the press release:
Coke Zero Press Release (http://www.cocacolazero.com/press.html)

http://www.cocacolazero.com/press.html

Robot
03-21-2005, 04:45 PM
AWESOME! exactly what I want!

RC Yeah
03-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Yeah....pretty design (I know, the word pretty is a little girly but it is pretty)......much better than anything they have done in the last few years.....i wonder if the Ebay thing is the test marketing...i hope they do test market it elsewhere..........

mjb1124
03-21-2005, 07:32 PM
I'm sorry, but I fail to understand Coke's logic in this case. First they're going to launch Diet Coke Sweetened with Splenda, which is presumably based on the Diet Coke/New Coke/Coke II formula. Then they're going to launch Coke Zero, based on the Coke Classic formula and sweetened with aspartame and Ace-K.

Now come on, certainly I'm not the only one who thinks it would've been a MUCH better idea to kill two birds with one stone, and launch a product based on the Coke Classic formula and sweetened with Splenda.

First of all, it's going to cause mass confusion if Coke launches two alternatives to regular Diet Coke in such short succession. Coke will then have FOUR different diet colas in their portfolio (including Tab), plus the mid-calorie C2. I just don't feel that there's enough room for all these products.

Secondly, I don't see a lot of people being satisfied with these two new products. Most of the diehard Diet Coke drinkers probably aren't going to switch to the Splenda formula, and the people looking for a diet cola that tastes like Coke probably aren't going to be too attracted by something that contains Aspartame.

Coke could have enjoyed at least moderate success if they just released a Splenda-sweetened version of Coca-Cola Classics. Instead, they're going to clutter the market with two new diet colas that are both probably going to appeal to a minimal amount of people. I just can't see either of these products sticking around in the long run.

Bag on Pepsi all you want, but I think they made the much better decision in the zero-carb wars - simply relaunching Pepsi One with Splenda and leaving Diet Pepsi alone. Granted, Diet Pepsi was always based on the same formula as regular Pepsi, and there may be some diehard fans of the original Pepsi One (or as one person on Salute To Soda called it, "Pepsi 1.0"), but overall, I see them having the bigger success in this case.

Of course, I am going to give all the new products a fair chance.

[ 03-21-2005, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Mountain Dew Or Crab Juice? ]

Robot
03-21-2005, 07:49 PM
i thinke coke zero sounds like a great idea..

diet coke with splenda, i dunno, it might eb confusing, but there are ALOT of diet coke fans, they might like this version better.

fusion
03-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Personally, I think it is possible that the Diet w/ Splenda could eventually replace Diet Coke.

Coke's been reformulating their diet drinks, and adding Ace-K to the flavored colas, plus Diet Sprite (Diet Barq's, too.. I think). It really cuts down on the aspartame aftertaste.

I don't see Coke Zero having a lot of legs, though. They should have put Splenda in it. I could see C2 dying off if Zero does well, though.

Also, I'm not quite sure that Diet Pepsi is based on Pepsi. I think it's a different formula, like Coke and Diet Coke.

SamC
03-21-2005, 09:12 PM
IMHO,

Some of this is the "Strawberry-Banana Jello" theory of marketing. (Stores have X amount of space to devote to any product type, so market leaders make so many versions that alternative brands are pushed out).

But this product has a shot. Diet Coke is not really Diet Coke, its Diet New Coke. Always has been. So the company finally makes Diet real Coke.

As to Diet Coke with Splenda, clearly it will only be sold along side Diet Coke with Nutra Sweet for a limited time, eventually it will replace the older version.

fusion
03-21-2005, 11:13 PM
Shelf space, at least from what I have seen, remains fairly constant over time. I can't remember picking up space in any major chain accounts, and only in one independent did we gain space in the past few years.

It's getting to the point where it is just getting rediculous. You can only cram so much into a twenty foot section. Fridgepacking helped, because you could "shotgun" the slower flavors, but even with that, so much new stuff has come out, that it's all pointless at this point.

In my opinion, you need at least 28-32 feet of shelf space just to carry all the brands and properly represent them. This goes for Coke as well as Pepsi.. possibly 3rd tier if they've got a Dr Pepper franchise and do well with their other brands.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-22-2005, 01:10 AM
yeah right now it's getting pretty crazy. it seems as though coke, or a strong third dist like ABC, has the most packages but i could be wrong.

teamtitan512
03-22-2005, 01:39 AM
The thing is Pepsi continually beats Coke in shelf-space wars. This, IMO, is Coke's strategy to take an advantage in many areas they lose these battles. In some areas, they sell more product in less shelf space than Pepsi, which can be misleading. It also helps them have more exposure in weaker areas (Westcentral PA for example...strong Pepsi and ABC territory).

I don't know if this is quite the right way to expand shelf space. Instead, I'd offer more variety (i.e. more flavored sodas, instead of 50,000 versions of Diet Coke).

turdferguson
03-22-2005, 07:58 AM
there is absolutely no reason for this product to exist. dont they already have diet coke?? does coke really think this is going to make a difference?? coke c2 completely bombed, i just dont get who they are appealing to. what i suspect is that they dont really have a plan for this, if it sticks, great, if it doesnt, oh well. how many versions of diet coke do they need?? confuse the consumer more coke, good job.

NRGChick
03-22-2005, 08:20 AM
I personally think that the "Carb Conscious" aspect of drinks is getting out of control. You have drinks that have zero carbs, 15 carbs, or whatever. How many versions of a "Diet Soda" do you really need? Stick with the original diet's, and try some different flavors. There's an Idea! Then again it's just an opinion, and yanno what they say about those! tongue.gif

fusion
03-22-2005, 10:51 AM
The low-carb super expensive fad foods have long since reached their peak. I've seen cartfulls of the stuff on clearance before, and Food Lion around here clearanced out their Atkins racks and took them off the floor.

I haven't tried Zero, but I do know that Coke and Diet Coke are from a different formula.. so if they can take Coke, lower the calories, and come up with something that works, they might have a big success on their hands. It appears the idea is similar to Pepsi One.. create a "man's" diet drink.

Only time will tell if it actually succeeds.

RC Yeah
03-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Yeah well it seems like Coke is gonna put a lot of its marketing dollars behind this product. That much effort on Cokes part usually means a blunder product........kinda like C2 last year........
two new diets in a row doesnt sound too great...i think they should nix the Diet Coke with Splenda and keep the Coke Zero (I like the name)..........
and whats up with the Zeros at Coke....first Sprite Zero now Coke Zero......whats next? Barq's Zero.......

Kyle101
03-22-2005, 02:57 PM
umm... i haven't heard of it. But I guess that's expected if I only watch like 1 hour of TV a week, and that's just recorded shows and i fast forward through commercials.

NRGChick
03-22-2005, 03:00 PM
T.V? What's that? I learn what I know through work, word of mouth, or this wonderful message board. LoL I think some of these soda co's, like coke, pepsi, are running out of ideas, and don't want to fall by the way side. They seem to be grasping at straws! (excuse the punn) ;)

fusion
03-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Zero is the "new" diet word. Diet, Light, and now Zero.

Failure to market has created more failures than overmarketing, Mad River and Planet Java are two cases in point.

XLS_04
03-22-2005, 06:03 PM
Okay short but simple.

Diet Coke with Splenda (the new Diet Coke) will be the main product within a few years.

Coke Zero is basically a teenager version of Diet Coke, actually I would not be surprised if it is the same formula as Coke C2.

The graphics on both products are nice but I think Coke should focus on flavored cola's instead of 9 or 10 different versions of diet colas.

Overall Coke Zero will be targeted more towards the younger crowd and Diet Coke with Splenda will basically be the old Diet Coke's replacement.

Robot
03-22-2005, 07:12 PM
i like diet coke, but it was an acquired taste.

id love to have a second option that tasted more like coca-cola classic, as that is my favorite cola of them all (diets/regulars.)

ecliptic
03-24-2005, 05:29 AM
I am glad they are doing this. I get to try 2 different diets and decide which I like better. I am in the number that can't stand regular Diet Coke.

I hope one tastes like Coke C2.

Maybe I will even try mixing them together. smile.gif

[ 03-24-2005, 05:30 AM: Message edited by: ecliptic ]

monsterdogg
03-24-2005, 07:19 AM
I'd hope that one of them would taste like coke as diet coke taste sucks. carb consious consumers will always be around. with the escalating new cases of diabetes and the correlation to carbs and HFCS most consumers will be aware. the over-priced atkins products and atkins wannabes will go away, but lower priced alternatives will thrive. if all you learn is from work, word of mouth and message boards you will have limited knowledge. uh....just my opinion, duh.

NRGChick
03-24-2005, 07:50 AM
Understood. Believe what you want. Everyone's entitled to there opinions! :D

Markito
03-24-2005, 08:28 AM
What are they gonna do with "Diet Coke with Lime (& Lemon)"? Will those soon have Splenda? Or will they keep aspartame?

"Diet Coke with Lime" is my #1 addiction. I personally hope they put Splenda in it.

Tannerman
03-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Markito:
What are they gonna do with "Diet Coke with Lime (& Lemon)"? Is Diet Coke with Lemon even still around? Hardly ever see it on the shelves these days. Has Coke pulled it?

XLS_04
03-24-2005, 05:17 PM
yes both lemon and lime versions of Diet Coke are still made and sold across the country.

devo99
03-24-2005, 07:10 PM
When are you people South of the 49thParallel going to figure it out that Coca Cola Industries is just a front organization for The CIA.

With the second largest truck fleet in the world next to the US Army and operatives in every corner of the world they get to do their nasty little deeds hiding behind gallons of obesity pushing, tooth-decaying and diabetes inflicting products.

Since your education system and media formats are far inferior and more censored than in Canada, you are suffering from a lack of vital information.

In case some of you are too young to remember, Communist Russia would only allow Pepsi behind the Iron Curtain because they knew of the Coke/CIA connection.

Also don't you find it a little strange that Atlanta, Georgia is the home office of Coca-cola and the centre of the universe for CNN(Controlled Nazi News).

Get off your ingnorance couch and boycott all Coke products!!!!

fusion
03-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Maybe you should get off of yours first.

Wal-Mart has the largest fleet of trucks.. in the world. And a computer system more powerful than the Pentagon.

Not to mention that Coke doesn't own any of the delivery trucks. The bottlers do.

I say we boycott ignorance and misinformation.

[ 03-24-2005, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

monsterdogg
03-25-2005, 09:26 AM
CCE, the name says it all! :mad: CCE has the most vehicles in the world!

Markito
03-27-2005, 07:10 PM
That's all fine and well you paranoid (but humorous) freaks, but I am still looking for the answer to my question:

"What are they gonna do with "Diet Coke with Lime (& Lemon)"? Will those soon have Splenda? Or will they keep aspartame? I personally hope they put Splenda in it."

mjb1124
03-27-2005, 07:17 PM
They're probably going to wait and see how Diet Coke with Splenda does before making any decisions on the Lime and Lemon versions.

KevinGrevey
03-31-2005, 05:14 PM
I just asked in another thread if Zero was the one with Splenda. Looks like I found my answer. I'm a little taken aback right now by all the lawsuits and info out there about Splenda. Not sure what to think.

fusion
04-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Diet Coke with Lemon is on life support at this point. In Maryland, we only carry it in 12 packs now. We used to have 2 liters, 20oz, 16.9oz 6 packs, and 24 pack cans. They're all gone.

I can't even find it from ABARTA Coke in Pennsylvania, either.

Looks like Lime won the citrus flavor war.

XLS_04
04-02-2005, 02:46 PM
looks like Pepsi beat Coke on the lemon cola's.

mjb1124
04-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Diet w/ Lemon is still easy to find where I live (Central NJ).

KevinGrevey
04-06-2005, 04:50 PM
So, is Coke Zero the one with Splenda or is it not? I'm a little confused right now. Splenda gives me bad cramps and headaches, so I want to avoid it if possible.

BottleBoss
04-07-2005, 08:35 AM
Is this still around? How is it selling? Because it tastes terrible.

ramonazo
04-07-2005, 09:53 AM
You're right, both lemon and lime versions of Diet Coke tastes are awful, If someone is going to visit Mexico, you must try Coca-Cola Citra Light, it has a better lime taste with low calories.