View Full Version : New Coca-Cola Blak

WhiteSword
03-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Inspire Your Mind. Refresh Your
Mood. Experience Coca-Cola Blak

http://www.coca-colablak.com/us/index.jsp

Guess Who
03-28-2006, 11:03 PM
oh finally, i've been waitin for that drink since a coco-cola salesmen came to my class back in february or march, whatever the day was that they released vault.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-28-2006, 11:06 PM
http://www.bevnet.com/bevboard/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003654;p=1#0000 17

:D

WhiteSword
03-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Ramón Coca-Colero:
http://www.bevnet.com/bevboard/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003654;p=1#0000 17

:D sorry for the double post

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-29-2006, 12:37 PM
No problemo! :D

jmur
03-29-2006, 08:58 PM
i found this today @ parkway drugs. they come in 4-packs, and were 2.99. they were not cold, so they are in my fridge, so i havent tried one yet. so if anyone in the utica area is looking for this, its out.

Green River
03-29-2006, 11:49 PM
So does it hit stores april 1st?

fusion
03-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Official launch date is the 3rd.

jmur
03-30-2006, 11:27 PM
yeah, if you go to blak's website theres a countdown to it. im not really sure why this store put it out early. its funn cause when i went to cash out, it wasnt even in the system yet, so they had to call a manager to give me the price and add it into the system, lol.

JordanE
03-31-2006, 03:11 PM
I'm actually looking forward to trying this probuct. I've olny had one other coffe-cola type drink befour but I really liked it, hopfully coke did a good job with this one.

Green River
03-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Did anyone try Pepsi Kona when it was around,and remember the taste?

redcremesoda
04-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Saw this today at the Super Target at the corner of Rt 59 & Irving Park Road. It's on an end cap and it's listed as $5.99 for a 4-pack but it's "on sale" for $4.99!

WTF??? I thought it was supposed to be closer to $2.99. I want to try it but not for $5.

CStoreCatMan
04-03-2006, 05:08 PM
I'm surprised to see Blak retail for that much! Especially right out of the gate. From what I'm seeing, Coke is trying to position Blak as an RTD coffee based on shelf placement and pricing. However, I think if Coke tries to chase Frappuccino with their new "fusion beverage," they will be VERY disappointed with the sales (or lack thereof)...

Mr Zabe
04-03-2006, 05:35 PM
If $4.99 is the roll out average sale price, and that where it stays for any duration, one can expect Coke Blac to tank even if it tastes good.

At $5.99 for a 4pk, Coke/retailers must think it's all that good. One would think a single bottle roll out priced at $0.99 would at least get the mass public to try it. I'll wait and see but at $4.99,even me a soda pop freak will not spend that much on a new brand.

[ 04-03-2006, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-03-2006, 05:49 PM
I would! Just to try it! :D

[ 04-03-2006, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

CStoreCatMan
04-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
If $4.99 is the roll out average sale price, and that where it stays for any duration, one can expect Coke Blac to tank even if it tastes good.

One would think a single bottle roll out priced at $0.99 would at least get the mass public to try it. That would be ideal...and although I haven't seen or heard about any single bottle pricing yet...I know the suggested retail is supposed to be $1.59 to $1.79 for a single bottle.

whotony
04-03-2006, 07:46 PM
no one around me has it yet.
our coke guy gave me a bottle to try though.

popologist
04-03-2006, 11:20 PM
looks like coke is bungling another launch.

jblaviback
04-03-2006, 11:24 PM
This is stupid America get's the glass bottle with plastic cap, while France get's the cool aluminum bottle and metal cap.

Mr Zabe
04-03-2006, 11:38 PM
IMO One of the lame things, about these so far isolated roll out stories, is that Coca Cola spent big bucks to advertise during some big event TV shows including American Idol.

At least for us soda pop freaks we had an expectation for a roll out done with uniformity and class. So far it appears that we are in for a Coke Zero/Vault sort of roll out. Haphazard at best.

Gee Coke Blac has enough of an up hill battle to get us to want it and this apparent roll makes it harder to do so. Getting a bottle in the hand is the best sort of advertising possible. Selling 4 pks is like try to throw a grain of sand at a pane of glass in the hopes of putting a hole in the glass. Yeah....up hill LOL

[ 04-03-2006, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-04-2006, 12:27 AM
I still want to try it. tongue.gif :D

[ 04-04-2006, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

redcremesoda
04-04-2006, 01:08 AM
They roll out Blak nationwide, yet they leave Barq's Floatz, which I believe would have a MUCH greater nationwide appeal, in regional limbo.

Robot
04-04-2006, 02:41 AM
my local grocery store just got drpepper berries in cream, in regular, 12packs only.. nobody else has it yet..

asked the manager, they said they get coke blak on thursday..

this is in chicagoland.

ROX Girl
04-04-2006, 11:42 AM
SC- 5.99 per 4 pk. Tried it. Wasn't impressed. I love Coke Zero. And, I'm a coffee fan. But, all other iced coffees have a cream base. I'm not sure how this will read with the general public. It wasn't that bad. But, the slight carbonation threw me off. Anyone else try it yet?

Mr Zabe
04-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Oh no,I have yet to try it but I agree with your thought that the general public may not go the Coke Zero base. I so wanted a lite cream base and a coffee with a Coke Classic high light.

It could have been a really tasty treat. I do not think a coffee soda pop that is expensive will go over at all. IMO

[ 04-04-2006, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Doug
04-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Bought some today, it's good, not great...

Mr Zabe
04-05-2006, 12:02 AM
Ok, now you guys and gals have got me thinking.
Approximately per unit cost and whole sale cost do you think it costs Coca Cola to produce Coke Blac. In consideration of normal profits with media costs ect, it would be interesting to see if the high retail cost has a direct relation to higher costs or if the higher retail cost is a marketing ploy to keep Coke Blac's image of that of the premium coffee drinks.

I hope I did not get too confusing? smile.gif

[ 04-05-2006, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Doug
04-05-2006, 12:33 AM
I'm gonna have a Blak when I wake up tommorrow. I think that's really where it could be successful. I don't really like coffee, I usually drink a soda when I wake up, or an energy drink...Coke Blak could be a nice alternative to coffee for people like me

SplitLevelP
04-05-2006, 12:37 AM
I found some tonight in South Utica NY Price Chopper.It's cooling right now.The suprise of a 5.99 retail at the counter was a bit much to start a new product at.most folks already think of coke and coffee as a yucky for lack of a better word concept and seeing six buck insures it's place in the grave yard before the opening gun unless it really catches.Truth be told the fact it is in glass is it's primary saving grace to someone like me who searches out obsqure items and packaging to try.that being said I really hope I like it and plan to post a reply once I have decided.

Mr Zabe
04-05-2006, 06:57 AM
FYI to all those in or about Chicago.
Starting tomorrow on 4/6/06 for one week,the local Safeway Food Store chain Dominick's will have Coke Blac 4pks on sale for $1.99. The sale's add said that the normal price is $5.99.

At this price point I will pick up some tomorrow. If I fall head over heals in love with it, I will go back and pick a nice supply depending on the use by date.

I hope your local stores have a similar sale.

[ 04-05-2006, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Technocratic
04-05-2006, 09:31 AM
I found it at Target here in Asheville NC. I do like it, but I'm a little disappointed with the aspertame aftertaste, which always stands out severely to me. But, maybe I'm weird, I've always really liked coffee colas.

That said, I still feel that Pepsi did it best with Pepsi Kona. Coke Blak reminds me more of some of the other lesser known coffee sodas; it almost seems like they just took some Coke, and stirred in a little instant coffee, even losing some fizz in the process. Kona was definitely more of a coffee flavored soda... sweet, properly fizzy, good taste. It would be nice if this spurred Pepsi to reconsider Kona again, but I guess that's unlikely.

CStoreCatMan
04-05-2006, 11:36 AM
How long ago was Pepsi Kona? I've been working for Pepsi here in SoCal for about 8yrs and never saw it...

Also, I think Coke made a slight mistake with what Blak was conceptually "supposed to be" and what it really is. Here's what I mean: they present this product as an indulgence, an experience, etc. However, then to make the calorie count low...they used the Zero/Diet base for the cola. Is it just me or does that take away from what could be a full flavored, sweeter, more indulgent beverage? Just my opinion...

Mr Zabe
04-05-2006, 11:43 AM
I so agree with you!
I made a similar point a few weeks ago.
I said that Coke Blac should be a "reward" kind of drink with a creamy coffee base,light carbonation and a nice cane sugar sweetness to it. I would not feel reluctant to pay for that kind of coffee drink. Granted I have not tried Coke Blac yet, but from what our fellow board mates have said, Coke Zero and coffee (brewed or instant) seems to miss the mark big time. :(

[ 04-05-2006, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Technocratic
04-05-2006, 12:20 PM
CStoreCatMan, Pepsi Kona was only test marketed regionally as far as I know. I am originally from SE Pennsylvania, and the Philly area was a test market location. This was around summer 1996.

Oh yes, cane sugar could help out Blak a lot in my opinion. Besides the weird taste of Aspertame, I worry about the health effects. Yes, I did see that recent report that says it's not a risk... but I still trust mother nature over chemical concoctions.

[ 04-05-2006, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Technocratic ]

SplitLevelP
04-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Going in with high hopes After the first half bottle they were shot down swiftly.The aftertaste of asperdeath nails the coffin closed i will be adding the others to the bottle collection for novelity purposes and later sales.like the packaging so it's a shame it wasted.a once a year kosher coke in a 8 oz screw top bottle would have been a more marketable choice.

CStoreCatMan
04-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Zabe - I remember that comment you made...so I didn't mean to rip you off! LOL...I just found it odd that Coke tried to create an indulgent drink but ALSO made it a point to have it be low calorie. If I'm going to "indlulge" in something...I know its probably not going to be good for me...and I don't care!

SplitLevelP - I felt the same way when I tried it...I didn't even finish the tiny 4oz sample I was given!

killjimmy
04-05-2006, 06:39 PM
I found some 4 packs at Target today for 3.99, it isn't bad but probably not something I would buy once the introduction sale is gone....a dollar a bottle is enough. It's a decent drink and I would probably continue to buy it at a decent price. I think they should do away with the fancy bottles (although they do look cool), put it in cans and market it as a regular soda. It couldn't really cost that much more to make.

SURGE
04-05-2006, 09:49 PM
This really seems like a pretty bad overall launch and marketining angle. I agree with the other posters that making this coffee/cola diet was a dumb and against the very concept of a premium soda. I do like the bottle and the ads are nice but this seems like a product that is mostly style and little substance. I wonder how the quality of the other formulations around the world are and how they will/are doing sales-wise. I looks like Coke might have had its 3rd major flop at launch this year after TaB and BCVC (VAULT is undoubtibly more well receieved than these though to early to say for sure)

Robot
04-05-2006, 10:34 PM
okay, went to target and they had them for $4.99 at my chicagoland target.. (instead of regular price $5.99 according to sign)..

had a room temperature coke blak, and really enjoyed it.. weird, and i am notsure if it was more than just a weird one time thing or not, as it will take 1 or 2 more at cold temps to really say.

but initial reaction was favorable..

outside of the fact it would have obviously tasted alot better without being based on a mid-calorie formula.. and it bums me out that its mid-cal, as if its cancelled, they'll go bad much quicker than they would have if it was full cal.. a full cal coke blak in glass bottle would have stayed good for ages! the current c2-ized coke blak will taste like crap a couple years down the line i'd imagine.

whotony
04-06-2006, 01:00 AM
i think the bottle package is odd because it's just a standard 8 oz. glass bottle with a coke blak plastic full cover label on it.
almost like they took some leftover 8oz and used them for this.
seems more like a prototype then the final product.

the taste. not so good.
too much aspertame flavor.
this should be a premium soda product that used real, full sweetener and not half of a sweetener.

bought at target. 4.99 a pack and 1.49 a single.

Cokeologist
04-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by whotony:
i think the bottle package is odd because it's just a standard 8 oz. glass bottle with a coke blak plastic full cover label on it.
almost like they took some leftover 8oz and used them for this.
It's not a "standard" 8 oz glass bottle. Coca-Cola's standard 8 oz glass bottles have a crown cap. Coca-Cola Blak has a black plastic twist-off cap, same as a PET bottle. So these are different glass bottles than the standard.

mr jones
04-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Even though the cap is different, I see Whotony's point...it does seem like they had a bunch of 8oz glass left over and needed to do something with it! But it actually works out for them since most "coffee" drinks are in small bottles.

redcremesoda
04-06-2006, 11:31 AM
FYI to all those in or about Chicago.
Starting tomorrow on 4/6/06 for one week,the local Safeway Food Store chain Dominick's will have Coke Blac 4pks on sale for $1.99. The sale's add said that the normal price is $5.99.Thanks, Zabe! Got mine this morning. BTW, you can get up to 4 for that price. I'll weigh in later on how it tastes.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-06-2006, 11:37 AM
1.99 is a great peice when coming down from 5.99! im gonna be near woodmans today, so im gonna check them out

Mr Zabe
04-06-2006, 12:12 PM
I was going out at 6am to get a 4pak. I got delayed so I will go out around 1pm. All I want is a 4pak of Blac and a Fridge pak of DPBC.

redcremesoda
04-06-2006, 02:46 PM
OMG, that was disgusting! :( Anyone want to by three bottles of Blak from me?

SOOOO glad I didn't by it for $4.99.

Mr Zabe
04-06-2006, 02:58 PM
Pray tell...more details please.
Did you have to go the ER for IV fluids? LOL

Robot
04-06-2006, 05:27 PM
i had a second one todya that was cold, I really like it.. it could be better, but I do enjoy it..

went and picked up 2 cases of it at $1.99 a 4pack at dominicks today.. so i gots tons!

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-06-2006, 05:41 PM
i love it, but i had to pay 4.99 for it... :( we dont have dominicks here...

someguytyping
04-06-2006, 07:23 PM
I want to make this clear the cokeologist guy is right this is a different bottle than the normal 8 oz glass bottle. all the coke bottlers didn't just happen to have left over 8 oz bottles and decided to have a little fun and mix coffee extract with coke classic, I did try it, it was ok wouldn't buy it again, I know for a fact that the cce sales centers arent pushing this as much as they pushed vault, vault is the product they really want to catch on, and are banking on it to push their sales numbers higher. they are sending 80 cases at a time into higher sales chain grocery stores.

The King
04-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Just came back from Vons and was able to snag a 4-Pack of Blak for $1.99 and a 12-Pack of Dr. Pepper Diet Berries & Cream for $3, so I've got a couple of new taste discoveries ahead this evening.

I don't expect to like Blak, as I'm not a coffee drinker, but I figured for $2 I'd give it a shot.

redcremesoda
04-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Pray tell...more details please.
Did you have to go the ER for IV fluids? LOL No ER visit but 8oz seemed to last FOREVER. I was determined to finish it and I did. That's more than I can say for Moxie.

Coca-Cola? Why this product and not Barq's Floatz? Seriously!

xJABBERWOCKx
04-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Did anyone try Pepsi Kona when it was around,and remember the taste? Yes, sir, I remember trying out that stuff back when I was a lowly 6th grader. It was nice and sweet going down, but the bitter aftertaste left a lot to be desired. It wasn't so bad to my unrefined 12 year old palate, but I only had one can in my life. This was in the South Jersey area, in case anyone's interested in that. I'm still going to try Blak when I get the opportunity. April 3rd was back to school for me, so I've been too busy lately.

xJABBERWOCKx
04-07-2006, 01:00 PM
The pictures of the Coke Blak packaging I've seen before on these boards look a lot different than the ugly one in the BevNet review. Who puts a blastic cap on a glass bottle? And it's DIET? Ugh. This better not be in only 4 packs.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-07-2006, 01:29 PM
That's true! Why don't they sell it in individual bottles?

CStoreCatMan
04-07-2006, 02:00 PM
They will singles in the c-store channel. Everyone on here has been talking about grocery stores, mass stores (Target), etc. Someone on this thread already mentioned seeing a single bottle for $0.99...

CStoreCatMan
04-07-2006, 02:12 PM
[/qb][/QUOTE]No ER visit but 8oz seemed to last FOREVER. I was determined to finish it and I did. That's more than I can say for Moxie.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

I'm with you! I had what was a dixie cup sized sample of Blak...I didn't have any desire to finish it!

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-07-2006, 02:38 PM
I've tried it, I really like it.

DJHS

The King
04-07-2006, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't say it's diet...it has Aspartame and Ace-K, but it has more HFCS, as the other two are the last two listed ingredients while HFCS is second on the list.

That being said, it's not what I would cal a refreshing, easy to drink kind of beverage. Like others have said, it's not easy to get through.

It's not horrible, maybe it would be alright to drink when you're getting going in the morning. A breakfast Coke if you will. I dunno, but I won't be buying any more, it's just not my kind of drink.

Mr Zabe
04-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Is this a good analogy?

I drank mainly Bush and Red Label beer during my freshman year of colledge. When I moved out of the dorm and had a car for my junior year I started to buy/drink Alzburger Dark. At first I was drinking it slow but the funny thing is the beer tasted awesome with cold sub sandwiches. LOL

Soon I grew to enjoy drinking it as party beer as it had a nice sweet finish to it.

My point is I learned/trained myself into enjoying dark beer. Coke Blac from what I have heard so far does not appear to be an acquired taste. :(

Techne
04-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Anyone know if this Blak is available in the Southwest yet?

Techne
04-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Oh, and with the macron over the 'a', wouldn't 'Bl?k' be pronounced 'Blake'?

Robot
04-08-2006, 03:39 AM
had a few people try blak today..

all 3 enjoyed it.. one said it was good but didnt seem to think he'd ever buy it.. one girl said it was "delicious".. the other person thought his first blak was "weird" and then it grew on him and he ended up buying two cases of it.

ecliptic
04-08-2006, 04:24 PM
I did like it but it was not worth the price. I paid $4 for for the 4 pack onsale. This was definitely a one time buy.

It's definitely not diet. Unless you consider 12 carbs of sugar diet.

[ 04-08-2006, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: ecliptic ]

nWoAssassin94
04-08-2006, 06:05 PM
My best friend bought it in Harlan, KY yesterday and both of us took a sip of it. That was some nasty stuff!

Techne
04-09-2006, 07:17 AM
It's a curious beverage... I love it because it tastes exactly like this cheap Korean scorched rice & coffee hard candy I used to enjoy as a kid. That description alone probably explains why so many people hate it, and I might've too, if it weren't for the nostalgia factor.

Then the aspartame kicks in. I don't have a problem with diet sweeteners, as I primarily drink diet soda, but here it seems really, really, really out of place.

I agree with Mr. Zabe. This should be a rich, creamy, smooth indulgence--a Vanilla Coke for the evening, perhaps. Aspartame is too sharp, and this would possibly be the absolute one instance where I would suggest Splenda if they insisted on keeping it mid-cal. Otherwise, cane sugar would both make it taste luscious and feel decadant.

[ 04-09-2006, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: Techne ]

popologist
04-09-2006, 07:42 AM
from the early reports, i predict this beverage is going to flop. though i'll withhold final judgment until i actually taste it (if it isn't discontinued before then). ;)

jmyjunk
04-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Been off line for a few days, but I did manage to get Coke Blak.

I will have to say this is an intriguing beverage.
The coffee flavor is nice with the coke. I do detected a bit of creaminess in the flavor. I can barely taste the aspartame, and it goes down pretty smooth.

This is a sipping beverage, not a slam down the throat drink like coke classic.
If you take it as an easy drinking beverage, this should do ok.
But I still do not see why this was not made with full sugar. I think it would be a huge hit if it was.

yankees26mlb
04-10-2006, 03:24 PM
to me it tastes crap. It was difficult to finish the bottle. The only other drink that was more difficult to finish was the holiday spice

David J.
04-10-2006, 03:53 PM
I really liked it, but the price kind of prevents me from buying it on a daily basis.

xJABBERWOCKx
04-10-2006, 05:27 PM
GUHH!!!

At least the gas station store I went to sold this atrocity in single bottles! Tastes like coffee flavored hubba bubba gum or something. Never again.

upinarms
04-10-2006, 08:32 PM
I like it. Right now I'd had four so far. Initially, I didn't care much for the taste but now I'm starting to like it. Ive only had a few "coffee sodas" that I vaguely remember as tasting terrible.

However, I can say I like this one. It has the familiar Coke taste at first with some sharp coffee notes than linger in the aftertaste. The finish is fairly smooth, considering that it is a soda with coffee in it. With that in mind, manages to go down well.

Its definately decent, but the prices of $1.99-$2.29 I am seeing makes it really unappealing. Its good, but not that good, and only 8 oz.

whotony
04-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by someguytyping:
I want to make this clear the cokeologist guy is right this is a different bottle than the normal 8 oz glass bottle. all the coke bottlers didn't just happen to have left over 8 oz bottles and decided to have a little fun and mix coffee extract with coke classic,.... i didnt say that coke did used left over 8 oz bottles.
i said it seemed like thats what they did,
and yes these bottles have a plastic cap.
other then that it's the same size and shape of the 8 oz with metal cap.
right down to the molding of the glass.

besides so what. i was just saying it was similar anyhow.

so you certainly did make it clear.
we wouldnt want to get the coke bottles mixed up.

:rolleyes:

anyhow, the taste wasn't great, but it's grown on me a little.
still too much for a bottle or 4 pack.