PDA

View Full Version : Surge Comeback?

BATBL18
03-28-2005, 03:24 PM
There has been much commotion at savesurge.org after Coca-Cola refused to produce Surge in response to a campaign in which Walmart said they would support the drink and purchase the required quantities. Since then it was discovered that Surge got its patent re-applied for. Wanting to know more information a savesurge member contacted the lady who applied for the patent. Unofficially, the news from her is that Surge will be coming back sometime this year. This is promising news, although it is not official yet. What do you think about Coca-Cola coming out with Surge? And what about Coca-Cola's planned summer rollout of Vault? After all, we know that Mello Yello is gone for good. Regional or limited availibility for one of them? :D :D

http://www.karks.com/surge/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2805

JMHX316
03-28-2005, 07:00 PM
I've already posted this on Savesurge.org's board, but I think it might be better to have the same soda under a different name. Either way, I'm thrilled that it's (possibly) coming back, even if it's in limited sizes (TaB). I'll most definitely stock up this time around.

JMHX316
03-28-2005, 11:49 PM
Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

teamtitan512
03-29-2005, 01:32 AM
Surge coming back potentially? Awesome. If Wal-Mart is leading the charge for this (highly doubted), give them some credit then.

Robot
03-29-2005, 01:44 AM
wow, if walmart does this, i gotta give them some credit!

if walmart wants something done, it gets done.. so if surge does comeback because of walmart, its 99.99% because of walmart.

if its just a temporary thing, ill stock up.. it was tasty stuff.

fusion
03-29-2005, 02:06 AM
I think people need to get over Surge.

I agree with TeamTitan. I highly doubt that Wal-Mart is a Surge supporter.

ecliptic
03-29-2005, 07:47 AM
Well Walmart listens to its customers. If there is a push from the customer end, there will be a push from Walmart to get it back.

PhillySteve
03-29-2005, 12:08 PM
I think it's more likely that Wal-Mart was looking for an exclusive deal.

fusion
03-29-2005, 01:33 PM
I'd like to know the whole story.. Who did they talk to, and what did this person say to them?

Somehow I doubt anyone talked to anyone at Wal-Mart who had any authority. The kid who's filling the Sam's Choice section can't tell Bentonville what do do.

:D

ramonazo
03-29-2005, 06:24 PM
Beat, the mexican version of Surge and Mello Yello is gone too... :(

Mello Yello Luver
03-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Coke Should Pick One store and put Surge in it (Like Wal*Mart). That will make the Surge Fans happy. They should at least make some of it since there are a lot of Surge fans out there.

fusion
03-30-2005, 07:37 PM
In my experience, there weren't a lot of Surge fans. It may seem like there are, because of sites like savesurge, but the stuff tended to just sit on the shelves. Not to mention the graphics were quite hideous.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-31-2005, 12:17 AM
when i worked at a convenience store near two schools, i remember the huge "rush" for surge. literally, it was out of control. we had small coolers and only one row for coke, but we had three rows for surge 20oz, two rows for surge 1Liters etc... and then it started to die. in less than a year, it was petered out. i liked the stuff on occasion, and i thought the guerrilla marketing campaign with cd's and everything was pretty cool. it made kids feel special or whatever, but the soda just couldn't match the marketing.

i sympathize with the cause though, and wish all the best!

KevinGrevey
03-31-2005, 05:17 PM
When I was in high school, I drank Surge like it was going out of style. I actually had a mini-fridge in my bedroom that was always stocked full with Surge. I would love for it to make a comeback

NRGChick
03-31-2005, 05:19 PM
Surge was pretty good. Reminds me of mello yello actually. Kinda similar.

KevinGrevey
04-01-2005, 02:39 PM
You remember those Surge commercials where the kids were fighting to get to the top of a mountain or somethin to get the Surge. I alwasy liked those.

iluvsurge220
04-04-2005, 11:23 PM
You know what, I really like Mello Yello. I drink it a lot, but only because they don't make surge anymore. Surge was just so unique and it tasted so great. The way it was advertised was so much different than any other pops advertisements. If surge comes back out, I will load up in case it disappears once again. I love SUUUUUUUUUUUUUURGE!!!!!!!!

gregmech26
04-05-2005, 02:07 AM
I prefer mountain dew to mello yello or surge.

mickstafa
04-05-2005, 04:04 PM
I always thought dnL tasted a lot like Surge... mmm, I'm gonna have a dnL, now that I'm thinking about it!

KevinGrevey
04-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Was dnL that weird 7up thing that came out a while back?

iluvsurge220
04-06-2005, 11:56 PM
yea it was like some kind of fruit flavored 7up and it was actually pretty good. I don't really care for plain 7up but dnL was great.

It's too bad those cats lost man. I bet you're feeling the pain I feel now.

karks88
04-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Wow, I haven't been on the board for awhile and I had no idea you all were still talking about SURGE smile.gif

I think the best way to explain the whole situation with Wal-Mart can be found here:

http://www.savesurge.org/surge/special_crisis.shtml

For those who don't follow the link, basically what happened is that we were asked by someone we've been working with at Coke to try and get a large retailer on our side. He thought it might help our cause. We did just that. Wal-Mart received a whole lot of requests for SURGE to come back for a limited time run and they contacted Coke directly (not to mention store managers personally calling SURGE fans!). Apparently, Coke turned them down.

Whether it was because Coke has people that don't want to see SURGE back or because of some issue with exclusively selling a brand in just one chain, things didn't work out.

It was very disappointing but the fans aren't giving up. We are going to be featured in an AP article very soon smile.gif

[ 04-12-2005, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: karks88 ]

halloaaryn
04-12-2005, 04:28 PM
What do you think about Coca-Cola coming out with Surge?I think they can keep trying but any knock-off they produce will never be as good or perform ANYWHERE NEAR as well as Mt Dew does.

ecliptic
04-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
I'd like to know the whole story.. Who did they talk to, and what did this person say to them?

Somehow I doubt anyone talked to anyone at Wal-Mart who had any authority. The kid who's filling the Sam's Choice section can't tell Bentonville what do do.

:D There's a place on Walmart's website to send them your product requests.

USF SPAMMER 1
04-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Surge was nasty. I don't know anyone who likes it and it's stunning that people miss it.

I guess people would miss head lice too if they were eradicated from the planet.

halloaaryn
04-19-2005, 04:52 AM
I cant believe you ppl actully made the news like you said .....

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050419/ap_on_bi_ge/saving_surge

karks88
04-19-2005, 04:20 PM
It's been great for the site so far, lots of new visitors!

turtleboy
04-20-2005, 07:56 PM
http://www.beverageworld.com/beverageworld/headlines/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000891719

KevinGrevey
04-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Franz Hemingbeck:
Surge was nasty. I don't know anyone who likes it and it's stunning that people miss it.I absolutely loved Surge. I used to have a mini-fridge stocked with it at all times.

USF SPAMMER 3
07-06-2005, 12:10 AM
I miss it. I bleed red white and Surge!