PDA

View Full Version : R.C. Cola?

Croc
04-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Is R.C. not the most under-utilized brand of cola? Why? It tastes so good!

Look In The Tunk
04-06-2006, 10:49 PM
I'll agree with you on that. I'll also throw Jolt in there too. I think Jolt is the best tasting cola out there. Both are pretty under-utliltized.

mjb1124
04-06-2006, 10:51 PM
I think RC is just as good as Coke and Pepsi. All three are good in their own way if you ask me. I've never tried Jolt.

01GTB
04-07-2006, 01:14 AM
RC with cane sugar in glass...mmmmm. I could kick myself for not buying more of it. It's not Dr Pepper, but it's a darn good cola ;)

Mr Zabe
04-07-2006, 01:16 AM
I'm brain washed. I get cravings for a vanilla moon pie and a bottle of RC. YUM

Android
04-07-2006, 04:57 AM
Actually, while glass is the best, RC is the only cola I that I think also tastes good out of a can. So that means RC and Cherry RC are about the only colas I drink anymore.

-Andy

Lepke
04-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Here in Jersey you can get RC on the fountain in quite a few places.

Mr Zabe
04-07-2006, 07:32 PM
In all my travels in and about the Chicago Land area,speaking of restaurants and fast food joints; I have only seen two RC/Diet Rite/7up soda fountains.

Croc
04-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Cherry RC?? I thought that was discontinued long ago...

Mr Zabe
04-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Cherry RC is still available is some areas. I manage to find it in one of my local stores, only in 12pks.

turtleboy
04-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
I'm brain washed. I get cravings for a vanilla moon pie and a bottle of RC. YUM If you like RC and moon pies you'll love this place.
http://www.bellbucklechamber.com/moonpics05.html

nWoAssassin94
04-08-2006, 11:25 PM
I bought another 12-pack of Cherry RC while I was in Harlan, KY yesterday. I really hoped that I would find it in another packaging, but no luck!

Speaking of RC Cola, remember RC Edge? I used to LOVE that stuff!

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-08-2006, 11:59 PM
RC Cola tried to enter to the mexican market to be the No. 3, but according to a class I had today about advertising, the response of the people who tried the mexican RC Cola (including me) didn't like it because it didn't taste like Coke or like Pepsi... I don't know if it's still on sale... but Cadbury Schweppes still has it in their mexican product lineup, maybe it's available in some places...

Mr Zabe
04-09-2006, 12:24 AM
turtleboy,
That was a cool website. smile.gif
I sure would have enjoyed celebrating with
those fun loving folk.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Lepke
04-09-2006, 01:03 AM
If you want to kill a perfectly good brand, let a big multinational beverage corporation buy it.
RC cola was a staple soda when I was growing up. Even on an episode of All in the family Meathead clamed he could tell the difference between coke. Pepsi and RC.
As a kid I didn’t know RC was a smaller brand it was RC, like coke was coke and Pepsi was Pepsi.

popologist
04-09-2006, 05:39 AM
wasn't RC a contender in the 1970s... with coke and pepsi?

i'm not even sure the last time i even saw the brand somewhere. it might be as long as a decade... or longer?

and, are they owned by cadbury-sweppes (dr. pepper/7up) now? and is that a british company?

SamC
04-09-2006, 09:17 AM
IMHO, if I were running C-S, I would find 200 disgruntled middle management account managers from KO and PEP and their bottlers and double their pay.

Then I would make it my goal to take 20% of the restaurant and c-store fountain business from the Big Two. With RC, Diet Rite, Nehi, 7 UP, Dr Pepper, etc, etc, etc, I would have a full line to offer restaurants and c-stores.

Then I would make in my next goal to get the full line of my brands in every soda isle in major supermarkets and in every c-store cooler.

There is no reason that RC and its brands cannot be a major bidder for restaurant business.

popologist
04-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by SamC:
IMHO, if I were running C-S, I would find 200 disgruntled middle management account managers from KO and PEP and their bottlers and double their pay.

Then I would make it my goal to take 20% of the restaurant and c-store fountain business from the Big Two. With RC, Diet Rite, Nehi, 7 UP, Dr Pepper, etc, etc, etc, I would have a full line to offer restaurants and c-stores.

Then I would make in my next goal to get the full line of my brands in every soda isle in major supermarkets and in every c-store cooler.

There is no reason that RC and its brands cannot be a major bidder for restaurant business. i agree.

however... what would be their "flagship" brand? dr. pepper is their strongest brand (it's actually #1 in texas) but it's not a cola... though, maybe that doesn't matter.

also, CS could aim for the "nostalgia" market... with RC, Crush, 7Up, etc. in other words, re-connect with babyboomers, etc.

of course, coke and pepsi would come down hard on C-S then. and i think pepsi would have a little more to lose... if only because coke is entrenched in more restaurants.

Lepke
04-09-2006, 12:48 PM
ADVERTISING SLOGANS - ROYAL CROWN COLA

1939 Royal Crown is Tops in Taste
1941 Best by taste test
1956 Better Taste Calls for RC!
1959 RC - the fresher refresher
1962 Royal Crown is made fresher to taste fresher
1963 Go fresher with RC: "Overnight - Americas Number One"
1964 Go fresher - Go RC!
1965 Who's drinking all that Diet Rite - America's No. 1 Low Calorie Soda - Everybody!
1967 Escape - Come on over to RC Cola the one with the mad, mad taste
1967 Diet Rite tastes so good... even non-dieters drink it
1970 We cool off hot towns
1972 The one you loved is back
1974 RC - its just right for you
1975 Me and my RC
1975 No, No, Yes, Yes
1977 Say yes to Diet Rite Cola: One big delicious Yes!
1980 Here's to fun
1981 Taste the one that won
1984 Cola lovin' woman, Cola lovin' man
1984 Everybody's Gotta Diet Rite
1985 Some people go out of their way for the taste of RC
1988 Decide for yourself
1989 New look, same great taste
1990 Take the RC Challenge
1994 Shake things up
1998 Be Free, Drink RC

I remember the diet rite jingle from when I was a kid. “Everybody likes it….diet rite cola…..everybody likes it…. And you know why cause it taste so good.”

And the “me and my RC” campaign from the 70’s also stands out in my memory.

popologist
04-09-2006, 01:23 PM
"me and my rc" rings familiar. but, like you said... that was THIRTY years ago!

that's a long, long time.

for RC (and other cadbury drinks) to become a contender again, C-S would have to commit a ton of cash to the effort.

and the ads would have to be really GREAT. otherwise, they'd just be wasting their money.

since RC is the underdog, they could be a little more adventurous than coke and pepsi.

it'd be interesting to see them try, at least.

if i wander upon any RC here in NYC, maybe i'll pick up a can/bottle... just to see how it tastes.

billygtexas
04-09-2006, 03:57 PM
RC is firmly entrenched as America's 3rd most well known brand of cola. It's been around as long as Coke & Pepsi, and has a very loyal following in the Midwest and Deep South. That in many stores RC 2 liters are usually priced around 10-15 cents lower than Coke & Pepsi doesnt hurt either.

Still I agree RC needs a image upgrade with a new ad campaign. The last time I saw any agressive promotion of RC was with the RC Edge cola. And I agree a sugar version of RC would be a nice addition, though not a big seller.

[ 04-09-2006, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

popologist
04-09-2006, 04:53 PM
like i said, CS should go for the "nostalgia" angle of their products. a lot of their products are still very familiar with people above 20 years of age.

i think a humorous, underdog ad campaign would be their best bet (though not the mean-spirited kind that pepsi does--personally, those are a turn-off to me).

instead, they could play on the fact that they're a distant third, and promote the "alternative" angle.

maybe do a spoof of the famous "me and my RC" ad, where the girl is on roller skates... except, make her an old woman now.

it's the kind of high school humor that people remember and appreciate.

it couldn't hurt. after all, it's only soda. ;)

Lepke
04-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Cadbury Schweppes has no love for soda or nostalgia. They just love money. They don’t want to spend anything to promote any of their brands. Put them out as cheaply as possible and make as much as possible. The only investment they want to make in a brand is the cost of acquiring it.

popologist
04-09-2006, 05:22 PM
but they're running their products into the ground!

it doesn't make good business sense.

why buy something and destroy it?

honestly, it'd be better for dr. pepper and 7up to be bought by coke or pepsi. though, american monopoly laws would probably forbid it.

also, has pepsi ever had a product to compete with dr. pepper?

Mr Zabe
04-09-2006, 05:42 PM
It does make one wonder how good to great brands like 7up and RC seem to be left blowing in the wind. What gets me thinking is the on slot of Dr Pepper and Diet Dr Pepper TV and Print adds that were on during before and after the Christmas season.

Maybe it's me but I do not recall any 7up adds or other CS brand adds. It appears that Dr Pepper is their USA cash cow.

****Off Topic***
I just got a new 7up fridge pack today. Would someone kindly explain the "natural" packaging? Was there a change in the ingredients. Forgive me if this has already been brought up.

[ 04-09-2006, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

fusion
04-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Cherry RC is available in different areas in the South. I even found it in cubes in some areas! It's darn good stuff.

Around here, RC is spottily available. Canada Dry Potomac makes it, and Canada Dry Delaware Valley (sister company) gets it from them. In many chains, it's not part of the main 7Up/Sunkist/Canada Dry/A&W ads. Cherry RC disappeared a long time ago.

Potomac still runs 3x4s, so it looks weird to see a whole set of Cool Packs, and then there's RC and Diet Rite at the end in 3x4s. Diet Rite flavors are pretty much impossible to find around me, though they are more plentiful near Baltimore.

[ 04-09-2006, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

popologist
04-09-2006, 07:41 PM
dr pepper is still a world-class brand. 7Up is fading fast. and RC is pretty much an also-ran.

CS could turn it around if they truly wanted to, but it seems they're content on milking Dr Pepper by coming out with different varieties. however, that will only go so far. only so many people like dr pepper (or its varieties).

if coke and/or pepsi fully developed a dr pepper-like drink... beyond the half-hearted push of pibb... dr pepper and CS would be in trouble... since they could shut dr pepper out of restaurants and fountains.

Lepke
04-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Just got back from the supermarket again.
Saw RC and Diet Rite six pack cans for $2.49.
They also had 2 liter bottles of diet rite.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Here's the mexican RC Cola:

http://www.cadburymexico.com.mx/images/rc_shot.jpg

and here are two print ads...

http://www.cadburymexico.com.mx/images/RC_cola1.jpg http://www.cadburymexico.com.mx/images/RC_cola2.jpg

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-10-2006, 12:11 AM
RC Cola is also on sale in Israel
www.rc.co.il (http://www.rc.co.il)

In Brazil:
www.rccola.com.br (http://www.rccola.com.br)

In Bangladesh:
www.partexbeverage.com (http://www.partexbeverage.com)

In Kuwait:
www.alsayeronline.com/asdf/carbonateddrinks.asp (http://www.alsayeronline.com/asdf/carbonateddrinks.asp)

In Korea:
http://global.kita.net/marketing/mkt_files/company/i/ilhwa/img/simg_3_CA00140785.jpg

and in Egypt:
http://www.varian.net/dreamweavn/dreamfeast/rc/egypt-rccola.jpg

International:
www.rccolainternational.com (http://www.rccolainternational.com)

[ 04-10-2006, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

Robot
04-10-2006, 01:48 AM
to the person that said they should develop a sugar-free version..

there is a Diet R/C and its made with splenda, I see it here in Chicago all the time...

also, Cherry R/C is still available in Illinois, though I dont really see it in Chicagoland, I see it in central IL.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-10-2006, 03:02 AM
dang, there is no cherry rc up in southern wisconsin... i want to try some

SamC
04-10-2006, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Ramón Cokeaholic:

International:
www.rccolainternational.com (http://www.rccolainternational.com) Interesting that RC outside the USA is a seperate company, part of Cott. The website does not seem to have been touched in four years.

I read somewhere that RC's best market is the Phillipines, where it is #2 to Coke, due to past business practices of Pepsi bottlers.

Lepke
04-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Israel

http://www.rc.co.il/

Mr Zabe
04-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Outstanding!!!
I enjoyed that for sure.
Very cool and hip. smile.gif
Tks
MrL

Lepke
04-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Zabe my friend, If you like that you will like this as well.

http://pepsi.co.il/

Mr Zabe
04-10-2006, 08:14 AM
Gosh it's so awesome to see these websites. They bring back so many found memories. What a real treat. I wish my Hebrew was a little sharper.LOL

Tks again, you made my day, smile.gif
Zabe

Lepke
04-10-2006, 08:21 AM
I’ve been studying Hebrew for years and still cant read these web sites. I can read it in a book with vowels but no vowels it’s hard.
Well I can pick out a few words here and there.

One more
http://www.cocacola.co.il/

[ 04-10-2006, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

Mr Zabe
04-10-2006, 08:25 AM
I'm pretty much like you.
To to an Israeli when I speak Hebrew I must sound like a 6 year old. LOL

My heart yearns to end up living on a kibbutz or Moshav. One day....

[ 04-10-2006, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Lepke
04-10-2006, 08:33 AM
Me too Zabe. But my wife says it’s out of the question.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-10-2006, 10:49 AM
MrZ. have you been in Israel before? How is it?

Mr Zabe
04-10-2006, 11:03 AM
I lived there for just about 9 months back in 1978 and part of 1979. MrR it's was hard not to fall in love with the heart warming people of Israel. I spent the summer learning Hebrew and touring from all corners of the land.

One can feel the deep history of how the ancient civilizations lived. I enjoyed every part of my stay. The food was awesome. I learned so many things about myself. The biggest thing I learned is that my life in the USA was so good, so bountiful. My eyes saw a lot of struggles to get food and pay routine bills. My host family's Father had a heart a attack 4 day before I arrived. Needless to say the family was in a state of shock.

I had a more real experience as I was not a traditional tourist. I tried to blend in as much as I could. Yes I drank at least 4 ice cold bottles of glass Coke a day. LOL

[ 04-10-2006, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Wow! MrZ. what a wonderful journey! Is great to know other cultures, other customs... I can imagine whan a great time you had in Israel.

BTW How is now the father of your host family, Is he OK?

And another questions... what interesting sodas are available in Israel?

Mr Zabe
04-10-2006, 11:32 AM
MrR,
I never kept in touch with my host family. :(

When I was there, Coke in a glass bottle was the most popular soda pop. I never saw anything but Coke. Granted this was many years ago. LOL Red Box Marlboro cigarettes were like gold. Israelies loved American products.

popologist
04-10-2006, 11:45 AM
does anyone know when and how high RC's market share peaked? i'm guessing it was in the 70s.

just curious.

Mr Zabe
04-10-2006, 12:32 PM
I'm guessing around 1977 or so. I sort of remember the shelf wars between Coke and Pepsi starting to get cut throat. Brands that were not as national were loosing the battle for shelf facings.

Does this seem to make any sense?

[ 04-10-2006, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

The Truth
04-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Yes, in the 80's new ownership and down hill.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
MrR,
I never kept in touch with my host family. :(

When I was there, Coke in a glass bottle was the most popular soda pop. I never saw anything but Coke. Granted this was many years ago. LOL Red Box Marlboro cigarettes were like gold. Israelies loved American products. MrZ. I hope that your host family's Father is OK and with good health... my best wishes...

I see why you drank four glass bottles of Coke a day :D Coke is expensive or cheap there?

Mr Zabe
04-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Coke at that time was about $0.45 US for a 12oz bottle. The green back went very far back then.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Cool! Has the same price of a Coke glass bottle here smile.gif

about RC Cola, I didn't know that RC cola has a citrus soda called KICK...

http://www.rccolainternational.com/img/r_pop_bottle_kick.jpg

and Cola with energy called RC Edge...

http://www.rccolainternational.com/img/r_pop_bottle_rc_edge.jpg

www.rccolainternational.com (http://www.rccolainternational.com)

I wonder how those sodas taste...

[ 04-10-2006, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

The Truth
04-10-2006, 04:47 PM
DSPU killed RC EDge when they took over and kick about 2 years ago.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Wow! in this case, the RC site is really forgotten...

[ 04-10-2006, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

whotony
04-10-2006, 09:44 PM
what was the rc cola out about 10 years ago that was made with pure cane?

also wasnt royal crown archie bunker's favorite soda?

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I thought Kick and RC Edge were from Canada...

The Truth
04-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Draft RC was great. I was pre DPSU buy out.

01GTB
04-11-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by whotony:
what was the rc cola out about 10 years ago that was made with pure cane?

I guess they still might sell it in Australia and New Zealand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Crown_Cola)

the saint
04-11-2006, 02:33 PM
I would say that the France site is a good link about RC Draft but I am just a dumb american and can't read a word of it. LOL. The bottle looks cool though with the stopper instead of a lid.

[ 04-11-2006, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: the saint ]

Swifty
04-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Oh. RC Draft. I have fond memories of purchasing that at the Winn Dixie near my college in Greenville, SC. In fact, when I first tried to buy it, they carded me. (I had to point out that it was a non-alcoholic beverage. It took more convincing than you would believe).

It came in a glass bottle with this fancy star seal on the label. And the taste...it was....heavenly. Ah. The pure cane sugar. It was almost pure happiness in a bottle.

I later found out that a high school classmate's father was involved in the formulation of it. Alas, this was after it had been discontinued. I even went to the Columbus, GA bottling plant one summer to see if I could score some from them. Alas, no.

Wow. I miss my RC Draft.

01GTB
04-12-2006, 07:26 PM
I am not sure how West Jefferson RC compares to RC Draft (never tasted one), but WJ RC is a darn fine tasting cola smile.gif Cheer-wined said you can score most West Jefferson stuff off I-85 in Spartanburg. I know it's a haul, but at least it's in the same state for Swifty. Of course you can order RC from Sundropbottling in Pulaski, TN and you will receive West Jefferson glass longnecks sweetened with cane sugar smile.gif

dahojo
04-13-2006, 10:44 PM
RC Draft is creamery than RC. So say like chocolate or vanilla.

Android
04-14-2006, 09:50 PM
WJ RC is good - wish I had taken the time to visit the plant and buy a case when I was through there a couple of years ago, but I just settled for a handfull of bottles from a C-store instead.

RC Draft was different, I'd put it that way. Definately a "thicker" taste to me. I think I still have an unopened bottle around somewhere.

RC Edge, I liked it when it was around, I used to drink it when I'd find it - about the only place I ever saw it was at 7-11 Stores.

-Andy

Lepke
05-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Looking back I’m wondering what killed RC in the marketplace?
Was it the cola wars? I think it was declining before that.
They were a contender and a good soda.
Diet rite was the very first diet soda on the market, if I’m not mistaken.
Cadbury Schweppes bought them out after they fell from grace. So while every beverage CS touches turns to crap I don’t think they are to blame.

So why did this soda lose so miserably to coke and Pepsi?

I believe the American consumer deserves a third player on the cola shelf.

Android
05-01-2006, 05:44 PM
I agree, but it's a matter of Cad/Schwps not wanting to or thinking it's work promoting it nationally, plus the local bottlers involvement varies a lot from place to place.

I remember the 7up/RC bottler in Colorado, not sure if it was Full Service back in the late 80's, try to compete with the deep cut price wars that Pepsi/Coke would have at that time. I remember 88 cent six pack promotions at local grocery stores. And I remember buying a lot of RC that way!! However I don't think a lot of the bottlers that carry RC were/are able to do this sort of thing. That, plus buy the shelf space and end-displays and other marketing things that the big boys always do.

-Andy

Lepke
05-01-2006, 06:25 PM
I still don’t get it.
Back in the 70’s RC was huge.
It would seem to me that the management of the company back in the 80’s long before the sale later to CS was incompetent. They really screwed up a good thing.
They basically killed the brand. Whether it was due to something they did or did not do I still haven’t figured out.

7 up was also very big back in the day. Now they are nothing.
When people order a 7 and 7 in a bar they get sprite. They used to get 7 up. The un-cola.

In the end it’s been bad for the consumer.

fusion
05-01-2006, 06:37 PM
So why hasn't Cadbury been more aggressive with RC? When I am in Wal-Mart, people act like it's some retro brand that has suddenly reappeared. And then they laugh.

This brand needs credibility.

Lepke
05-01-2006, 06:47 PM
A local pizzeria has RC on tap. I was talking to the young girl behind the counter who told me that the other young kids think it’s so cool.
They never saw it before.
They have a Pepsi box and a lot of customers complain that they don’t have coke. She told me that she tells them to try RC and now lots of the customers buy it.

CS didn’t kill the brand it was all but dead before they bought it. But they are doing nothing to resurrect it.

Then again SC really doesn’t do anything to promote any of their beverages. At least not in America.

Cheer-wined
05-01-2006, 07:13 PM
even if CS isn't going to spend the money on RC to compete directly with coke or pepsi, they could at least do SOMETHING. a national ad campaign, a sports sponsorship, etc. Heck, rerun old "Me & My RC" commercials if you can't think of something new. Silence doesn't sell.

drpep
05-01-2006, 08:53 PM
RC co-sponsored a car with K-mart in Nascar in the late 90's and they supported Little League baseball until last year or so, and maybe still do. The Nascar sponsorship was the last time I saw any type of national promotion for RC.
Most places where there is a large Cadbury Schweppes display I see lots of Sunkist, A&W, 7-UP, Country Time and Diet Rite. There may be a small stack of RC buried in the display, if it is there at all. In the northwest part of Pennsylvania I do see a lot of RC in stores and promoted equally with the rest of the CS lineup.
Maybe they should advertise in video game or skate magazines, try and get teens to buy it.

Mr Zabe
05-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Back in the mid 70's, I would have choosen RC over Pepsi. Coke was still my first choice. RC was so good back then,it must be the HFCS formula as when I now drink RC cans/bottles it just does not taste the way I remembered it from my youth.

IMO if RC was changed back to cane sugar it would have a joyous rebirth. smile.gif

[ 05-01-2006, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

01GTB
05-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Put it in bottles with cane sugar (WJ style) and put a coupon for a free 6-pack in the newspaper. They will come.

Lepke
05-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by 01GTB:
Put it in bottles with cane sugar (WJ style) and put a coupon for a free 6-pack in the newspaper. They will come. Never happen. Cadbury Schweppes only takes from the brands they acquire they never put anything in.

I don’t think they ever wanted RC anyway they got it when they bought Triarc and never intended to go up against coke and Pepsi with RC.

The website www.rccola.com (http://www.rccola.com) is even down. That’s how much these bastards care about the brand.

Other then Cadbury chocolate bars that are made by Hershey I buy nothing from them.
They never have good sales around here. They suck.

Me and My RC - Cola Ad early 1970s (http://www3.youtube.com/watch?v=aCz-ihR2nus&search=1970s)

http://static.flickr.com/46/129901081_b11a07ab2a.jpg?v=0

Android
05-01-2006, 09:55 PM
I thought the RC website was http://www.drinkrc.com/ - not that that link is working right now either...

-Andy

[ 05-01-2006, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Android ]

Lepke
05-01-2006, 09:58 PM
I like the old commercial it brings back memories.
And I like kosher for Passover Pepsi.

Mr Zabe
05-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Ok..I like rinsed ice and A List soda pop.
I like TV shows with 3 minute commercials for
drink refills and donations. LOL

[ 05-01-2006, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Lepke
05-01-2006, 10:10 PM
It really does make a big difference.
People think I’m crazy for doing that.
My wife and friends make fun of me.
Only my 18-year-old nephew gets it. I turned him on to rinsing the ice when he was 14 and he has been doing it even since.

Mr Zabe
05-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Lepke.
Let them think what they want. LOL
Rinsed ice make so much of a difference. I so enjoy the way soda pop tastes drinking it this way. smile.gif

****I made a mistake with not using Lepke's name.
I apologize to drpep and Lepke for this happening. Your both good board mates.****

[ 05-02-2006, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

billygtexas
05-02-2006, 02:59 AM
Too bad Cadbury Schweppes won't spin off RC to Cott, they would instantly make it a challenger again, maybe even replace Sam's Cola in Wal-Mart (like they did with Grapette/Orangette). A soda with the rep and taste of RC for 50 cents a bottle would be a sales winner.

Diet RC is a disapointment and always has been. It didnt taste good with apsertame and doesnt taste any better with sucrose. It's about as good as any cheap store brand diet cola. Before C-S took over, RC's old cash cow for the diet cola market was Diet Rite, and I guess C-S continues to make Diet RC taste worse to keep DR on top.

[ 05-02-2006, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

thechamp76
05-13-2006, 05:11 PM
I think the reason cs doesn't do anything with RC is simple.

They do a majority of their Dr Pepper business with Coke and Pepsi bottlers.

If they started to promote RC, I think they would see Pepsi and Coke bottlers burying Dr Pepper on the shelf and doing whatever the could to make cs pay.

Mr Zabe
05-13-2006, 06:09 PM
My two cents.

From a strictly business point of view, if the Coke or Pepsi bottlers thought RC could be a "Cash Cow",they would push it. Profit is profit regardless of which lable is sprayed on a can or bottle. IMO

SamC
05-14-2006, 08:22 AM
The big hit to RC was first the price wars between the Big Two, and then the conversion of the industry from returnable bottles, which made it possible for even tiny chains to have their own store brands. RC always was choice for the price conscious buyer, and that market is now taken over by Sam's Choice, Big K, Chek, etc.

First with KO bottlers in the 70s and then with PEP bottlers in the 90s, the Big Two ended their relationships with 7UP. Eventually the same thing will happen to Dr Pepper and then CS will be left with very little.

fusion
05-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Dr Pepper is still a growing brand, 7up has been on the decline for quite some time now (hence the seemingly constant reformulation and repackaging of the brand.. and the "plus" extension).

I don't see anyone willingly dropping Dr Pepper at this point in time, though I could see Cadbury taking it back and giving it to the soon to be fully owned DPSUBG. Having a top ten brand leading their portfolio would help them in areas where they are weak.

There are still a few PEP bottlers with 7Up.. but I think that is coming to an end.. I remember a post stating that Buffalo Rock is starting to sell Sierra Mist in some of their territory.

Cheer-wined
05-15-2006, 10:32 PM
I think that bottlers like Buffalo Rock are choosing to switch because Sierra Mist is established now and outselling 7Up. Big bottlers like BR, I would agree they will switch sooner. Smaller ones where 7Up is strong locally will probably hang on for a while.
That's a big difference from when Sierra Mist was introduced and Pepsi had to convince or push bottlers into dropping 7Up.

But back to the topic of what killed RC - for me there's one answer, and his name was Victor Posner.

David J.
05-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Haven't seen or had RC in years, but it was pretty good. I liked it better than Coke and Pepsi, but it was only sold at dollar stores, along with Hires Root Beer, and the OLD jolt cola.

Now I think RC could go in to resturants and do well, just have to make a really good ofter, like selling the product for real cheap or something, although something better.

Say, aren't all Wendy's now selling Coke? Mine still have Pepsi and I swore they had a contract or something. Or is it up to the franchisee?

fusion
05-18-2006, 08:40 PM
I just looked at the Buffalo Rock website, and there is no mention of 7Up anymore. Just Sierra Mist.

Cheer-wined
05-18-2006, 11:42 PM
Yep, I think Buffalo Rock dropped it around February or March of this year.

Last December I was in KY, and Pepsi in Corbin still had 7Up.

I remember a couple of years back, Pepsi in Charlottesville had 7up in deli bottles. I wonder if they still carry it?