PDA

View Full Version : the '05 #'s are in & the winner is...

popologist
04-08-2006, 09:31 AM
cadbury-sweppes...

well, sort of.

overall, for the first time in over a decade, case volume sales were down (slightly) in the US.

according to beverage digest, coca-cola company's market share remained flat at 43.1%. pepsico's slipped to 31.4% (from 31.7 last year). and cadbury's (dr. pepper/7-up) grew to 14.6% (from 14.5).

among top CSD (carbonated soft drinks), coke classic fell to 17.6% (from 17.9). pepsi fell to 11.2% (from 11.5). diet coke grew to 9.8% (up from 9.7). diet pepsi fell to 6.0% (from 6.1). and mountain dew grew to 6.5% (from 6.3).

new entries on the top 10 list were fanta and diet mountain dew.

also, coca-cola would have experienced a loss of market share were it not for new products like coke zero, diet coke with splenda and full throttle.

for the full story and top 10 companies and brands, check out this link:

http://www.beverage-digest.com/pdf/top-10_2006.pdf

popologist
04-08-2006, 09:45 AM
also of note, diet coke continued its quest to overtake pepsi as the #2 soda... in spite of competition from coke zero and diet coke with splenda (which is counted separately from diet coke).

whether it will ever actually happen, though, remains to be seen. eventually, pepsi's (and coke classic's) decline will level out, and diet coke's surge will peak. the question is whether it will happen before diet coke catches up with pepsi.

[ 04-08-2006, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: popologist ]

the saint
04-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Just my opinion but I do not believe that Fanta as a whole should not be in the top ten. If one particular flavor is top ten then so be it, but to take the brand "fanta" as a whole IMO is just crazy since there are like 6 flavors.

popologist
04-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by the saint:
Just my opinion but I do not believe that Fanta as a whole should not be in the top ten. If one particular flavor is top ten then so be it, but to take the brand "fanta" as a whole IMO is just crazy since there are like 6 flavors. does it say that it's counting all the fantas? i wasn't clear on that. but, i agree, each flavor should be counted separately... just like diet coke and caffeine free diet coke are counted separately.

it also says that most of fantas sales come from orange. probably because that's what they sell at restaurants and fountains.

pepsidew
04-08-2006, 12:13 PM
was 7up ever in the top 10? and i wonder how pepsi & coke would fair if all the varities of the two were included like cherry coke and wild cherry pepsi? we'll see if in 2006 mountain dew can keep growing with vault out nationwide. as long as pepsi still rules in other non-carb areas - water, tea, coffee, and gains some ground in energy drinks i think staying flat or small gains in 2006 will be okay

popologist
04-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by pepsidew:
was 7up ever in the top 10? and i wonder how pepsi & coke would fair if all the varities of the two were included like cherry coke and wild cherry pepsi? we'll see if in 2006 mountain dew can keep growing with vault out nationwide. as long as pepsi still rules in other non-carb areas - water, tea, coffee, and gains some ground in energy drinks i think staying flat or small gains in 2006 will be okay 7Up has been in decline for several decades and dropped out of the Top 10 a few years ago.

mountain dew has been surging for years (it overtook sprite and dr pepper several years ago), which is probably why coke is trying so hard to tap into that market. it's inevitable that vault will have some kind of impact (especially if it's sold in fountains/restaurants), but it will be a long time (i expect) before it closes in on Dew.

i was surprised to see diet Mt Dew in the Top 10, as well as Fanta. but, does pepsi even sell an orange drink anymore? if not, it's no wonder fanta is selling so well--no competition.

[ 04-09-2006, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: popologist ]

popologist
04-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by pepsidew:
was 7up ever in the top 10? and i wonder how pepsi & coke would fair if all the varities of the two were included like cherry coke and wild cherry pepsi? we'll see if in 2006 mountain dew can keep growing with vault out nationwide. as long as pepsi still rules in other non-carb areas - water, tea, coffee, and gains some ground in energy drinks i think staying flat or small gains in 2006 will be okay you also made a good point about pepsi's non-carbonated bev business doing very well--that's where the real growth is. and that's why coke is trying to catch up as fast as it can.

keep in mind, the Top Ten listed in the article only includes carbonated drinks/sodas/energy drinks.

SURGE
04-08-2006, 06:00 PM
7UP was in the top ten through 2003- it basically got knocked off after Pepsi went Mist only and 7up went exclusivly 3rd tier- meaning a huge loss of on vending and fountain.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-08-2006, 10:38 PM
If Coca-Cola stays being No. 1 in the sodas market... it's enough for me :D

popologist
04-09-2006, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by SURGE:
7UP was in the top ten through 2003- it basically got knocked off after Pepsi went Mist only and 7up went exclusivly 3rd tier- meaning a huge loss of on vending and fountain. wow! i hadn't realized 7up was in the top 10 upto 2003.

so, i imagine they're still hovering around the top 10, then.

it's still a recognizable, national brand, but... honestly, i can't remember that last time i've seen a 7up commercial... or a dr. pepper commercial. cadbury just seems to be letting the 7up brand die.

popologist
04-09-2006, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Ramón Cokeaholic:
If Coca-Cola stays being No. 1 in the sodas market... it's enough for me :D ramon, i just read an article about how mexico is the hottest soda market in the whole world... averaging 1,500 8 oz. servings per year, per person.

for comparison, it's 89 servings in china, and 14 in pakistan.

for the full story (about india), check out:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_06/b3819080.htm

popologist
04-09-2006, 06:15 AM
coke products international market share was 58% in 2005... which accounts for about 2/3 of its total profits (the US accounting for the other 1/3).

for the full story, check out:
http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/24/markets/spotlight/spotlight_coke/?section=money_topstories

and, to be fair and balanced, here's an article discussing how pepsi is selling more water and energy drinks.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/01/news/companies/pepsi_fortune/index.htm

[ 04-09-2006, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: popologist ]

Mr Zabe
04-09-2006, 06:47 AM
I will make a some what arm chair prediction.
When and if the political climate in Mexico changes for the better,when their economy improves; I would expect the percapa soda pop servings to decline.

MrR please chime in here, in relative terms is it cheaper for the average Mexican to buy a 600 ml of Coke or is it cheaper to buy a bottle of Ceil water or a bottle of juice.

My point is that as people start to earn more money and the economy improves, it has been shown that these people start to think about getting healthier. Now they can afford a healthier meal or a gym membership. Soda pop starts to get consumed less as they drink bottle water and juices.

I think that pretty much has happened here in the States. The soda pop demand has been relatively flat. Water,energy drinks and sport drinks have been in demand. Just a thought. smile.gif

popologist
04-09-2006, 07:26 AM
zabe makes a good point about mexico. those numbers are mind-boggling. what's the per capita average in the US... around 300 servings per year, maybe?

on the other hand, in emerging markets (like india, the middle east, and asia), there is room for lots of growth for coke and pepsi.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Popologist... MrZ... No doubt about it... Our country is the place where we consume more soda, and the reason is that most people and families, specially those who don't have conscience about nutrition, eats their breakfast, lunch and dinner, with 2 liters of Coke, instead of buying a carton of Milk or a bottle of juice or water...

MrZ, a 600 ml bottle of Ciel water is a little more cheaper than a 600 ml Coke (.50 mexican cents or one peso), but a 12 oz. can of juice (355 ml) is around five or six pesos, so people want more, so they buy a Coke...

MrZ... I hope your words would be come true about the improvement of the mexican economy and I really hope it too... but if this man arrives to the government...

http://www.lopez-obrador.com.mx/prueba/lopezbio.jpg

the mexican economy won't improve and we will be all SCREWED! :(

PLEASE MEXICAN FRIENDS...THINK!... DON'T LET THIS CRAZY MAN WIN THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS...

popologist
04-09-2006, 05:19 PM
that's like FIVE servings of coke per day per person.

wow!

forgive my ignorance... but are mexicans overweight? i always pictured them as slim.

Mr Zabe
04-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Just an arm chair guess.
I would say on average Mexicans are not over weight. It takes more effort to do things when cars are very expensive,gas is very expensive,luxeries are expensive (TV's,ect); I would guess that most people have to struggle to get by.

In America we live like Kings. The average middle and lower middle class family can afford fattening food,cable TV and more than one car. IMO we have become a lazy society of hedonistic thrill seekers. We want it now and plenty of it. smile.gif

[ 04-09-2006, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

the saint
04-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:

In America we live like Kings. The average middle and lower middle class family can afford fattening food,cable TV and more than one car. IMO we have become a lazy society of hedonistic thrill seekers. We want it now and plenty of it. smile.gif You mean these things are just luxuries and not neccessities??? :D

[ 04-09-2006, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: the saint ]

popologist
04-09-2006, 07:46 PM
watching cable and driving to the mall is hardly "thrill-seeking"... but... we get your point. ;)

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Just an arm chair guess.
I would say on average Mexicans are not over weight. It takes more effort to do things when cars are very expensive,gas is very expensive,luxeries are expensive (TV's,ect); I would guess that most people have to struggle to get by.Well... some of us are overweight, because as I said, most of the mexicans don't take care of their nutrition

MrZ. you're sooo right, cars are REALLY REALLY expensive, gas is REALLY REALLY expensive, and the gasoline is REALLY REALLY expensive (and will be more expensive if Lopez Obrador (the guy in the photo I posted before) arrives to the presidency of Mexico :( I hope not), although... you won't see a home without TV here, from the poor ones to the rich ones have a TV...to see the soap operas or telenovelas that are so popular between the mexican older women, and the soccer games that watch all the mexicans... specially in the finals...

[ 04-09-2006, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

popologist
04-12-2006, 05:45 AM
here's a recent story about coke's new advertising campaign.

http://brandweek.com/bw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001657126&imw=Y

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the info, popologist!

Wow! an Ice Cream flavor of Fanta... I wonder how it tastes...

BTW... does anyone that watch Univision or Telemundo very frequently know what is the latin
version of the "Coke side of life" slogan?

popologist
04-12-2006, 12:12 PM
i missed the "ice cream flavor" part (i didn't read the whole article). but... yum... that does sound interesting... and somewhat orignal.

Hollow Man
04-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by popologist:
but, does pepsi even sell an orange drink anymore? if not, it's no wonder fanta is selling so well--no competition. Tropicana Twister. And now Slice One in Wal-Mart.

-HM

popologist
04-14-2006, 07:29 AM
i thought slice was cancelled. i guess it's back.

Hollow Man
04-14-2006, 09:00 AM
It seems Wal-Mart convinced them to bring the name back so they could sell a Splenda-rific diet beverage in their stores. I guess we'll see if it takes off enough to make Pepsi want to throw it in other stores.

-HM

the saint
04-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Hollow Man:
It seems Wal-Mart convinced them to bring the name back so they could sell a Splenda-rific diet beverage in their stores. I guess we'll see if it takes off enough to make Pepsi want to throw it in other stores.

-HM From what I have encountered in sales with Slice One that answer would be NO!

David J.
04-14-2006, 10:36 AM
If Vault comes to fountains then it'll be a big seller, but make sure it is in EVERY fountain. I mean, some coke places don't serve mello yello even, and they get hammered for some type of "Mountain Dew" drink.

popologist
04-14-2006, 10:58 AM
david's right. if coke wants vault to succeed, and take a bite out of dew's growing market share, vault needs to go into fountains at major fast food restaurants (mcdonald's, burger king, wendy's, etc). that, in itself, would give vault a point or two in market share.

i think they should also add coke zero.

coke should really push these two products. they taste good and simply need people to try them to get/keep them going.

popologist
04-14-2006, 11:01 AM
walmart has been bullying coke and pepsi lately. walmart pressured coke to create diet coke with splenda and pepsi to create slice with splenda.

dc with splenda almost ruined the roll-out of coke zero (by confusing people). and, if slice with splenda is a flop... then walmart wasted pepsi's money too.

i mean, i don't have a problem with walmart, but... they should let the soda companies do what they do best.

Originally posted by Hollow Man:

-HM

David J.
04-14-2006, 10:12 PM
There's limited space at some of these places, and the burger kings in my city have more juices than soda. What gives?

That and I'm sick of people wanting mountain dew, and it'll be hard to ween people off of our current drink selection.

the saint
04-14-2006, 10:52 PM
wal Mart came to Pepsi wanting Pepsi to create an exclusive fruit flavored drink using splenda. Pepsi counter with the fact that they would do so ONLY if there was displays of both 2 liters and 12 pack in ALL 3000+ stores. Well WalMart agreed but that agreement lasted about as long as it took Pepsi's Brass to walk out the door.

Lepke
04-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Wal-Mart bullies every one. I do my best not to shop there. It’s hard to convince my wife but I think she likes target better.

SURGE
04-15-2006, 02:54 AM
I think putting CZ in fountain is a good idea in theory but its just to similar to DC to be worth a spot on the average low-nozzle fountain. I mean if there are a dozen or so sure- but otherwise there is just nothing in the lineup worth cutting.

popologist
04-15-2006, 06:10 AM
good point. i was thinking, at least, at mcdonald's.

that in itself could add a point or two to CZ's market share... and bring it into the mainstream.

since McD's has lots of nozzles, it shouldn't effect diet coke too much.

Originally posted by SURGE:
I think putting CZ in fountain is a good idea in theory but its just to similar to DC to be worth a spot on the average low-nozzle fountain. I mean if there are a dozen or so sure- but otherwise there is just nothing in the lineup worth cutting.