PDA

View Full Version : coke zero matches cherry coke sales

popologist
04-12-2006, 05:48 AM
according to this article, coke zero has a 0.8% market share.

http://brandweek.com/bw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001657126&imw=Y

is that good?

i mean, on its face, it doesn't seem that great; but, when you consider that cherry coke is in restaurants, and soda fountains and vending machines, then... i'd say coke zero is doing pretty well, considering it's mostly found in supermarkets.

anyway, i'm mostly encouraged that coke is behind the product, which means i won't have to go back to diet coke.

Mr Zabe
04-12-2006, 06:03 AM
I beleive Coke Zero is getting close to it's first year anniversary from it's national roll out?

I would think Coca Cola would be very encouraged with a 0.8% market share for it's new brand Coke Zero. Coke Zero is proving that in spite of it's marketing campaign, it's quality has attracted and maintained a growing loyal following.

popologist
04-12-2006, 07:16 AM
it will be one year in july (though i really didn't find it until closer to august).

and, i agree, the "taste" is what has made this product a success... not those silly ads. it's like one of those small movies that catches fire by good word-of-mouth.

still, without real estate in restaurants and soda fountains, it will be difficult for CZ to crack the top 10.

even if mcdonald's put aside one nozzle for zero, that could possibly double its market share (though i'm just guessing).

Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
I beleive Coke Zero is getting close to it's first year anniversary from it's national roll out?

I would think Coca Cola would be very encouraged with a 0.8% market share for it's new brand Coke Zero. Coke Zero is proving that in spite of it's marketing campaign, it's quality has attracted and maintained a growing loyal following.

pepsidew
04-12-2006, 08:44 AM
around here coke zero doesn't seem to sell at all...for sure it doesnt sell as much as cherry coke

Mr Zabe
04-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Here in the north Chicago suburbs, Coke Zero is selling rather well. I see increased facings and multiple fridge packs flying off the shelf.

[ 04-12-2006, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

popologist
04-12-2006, 09:14 AM
where do you live?

i'm guessing that coke zero sells better in metropolitan areas, where diet coke outsells coke classic (like NYC)... just because you have more single people and gays... who tend to drink more diet soda.

i just passed the soda machine at work, and there are four slots for diet coke and three for coke classic. surely they could replace one of those with coke zero... just for me. ;)

Originally posted by pepsidew:
around here coke zero doesn't seem to sell at all...for sure it doesnt sell as much as cherry coke

Mr Zabe
04-12-2006, 09:42 AM
I live in a general area known as the North Shore of Chicago. It a large suburban area north of the city. I live at the south west edge of the North Shore area, Mount Prospect,IL.

This broad area is a big time diet Coke/diet Pepsi market. Where I live is a fairly mixed variety of cultures. Bottle water and sports drinks do very well here. LOL People around here do love their diet drinks.

[ 04-12-2006, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

popologist
04-12-2006, 12:15 PM
same here, zabe.

coke zero fridge packs sell out at the big grocery by my apt every week. i don't know why they don't stock more of it. if i don't get there by mid-week... it's gone.

at another local grocery, they actually had more zero than diet coke. i was surprised to see that.

billygtexas
04-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Zero sells very well here in E. Texas. My local Wal-Mart and Brookshiers always have trouble keeping it in stock.

Despite that stupid "everybody chill" roll-out campaign Zero has found its niche and sales will keep growing as more people try it and Coke keeps it on the shelf. I think its a great product and I hope in a few years Zero takes a big bite out of Diet Coke sales.

SURGE
04-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Zero has really blow me away. Before launch I was wondering why- after C2, DC w/ Splenda, and the various DC flavors I thought there was just too much diet in Coke's lineup. But Zero (and to a lesser extent splenda DC) have really done well.

From what I hear 20oz isnt stellar but its hot as hell in fridgepacks. Makes alot of sence to me.

popologist
04-12-2006, 11:05 PM
i almost NEVER buy coke zero in 20 oz bottles. i buy it in fridgepacks and 1.5 liter. and i stock up when i find it, because, for some reason, coke isn't keeping enough of it stocked (at least in NYC).

i think it tastes sooooo much better than diet coke, that i would be really bummed (p*ssed even), if it were ever discontinued.

let's hope that doesn't happen.

i think coke needs to put it in some strategic vending machines. you know, offer zero instead of diet... at least for a month or so, so people are kind of forced to try it. then, after that, they can bring back diet coke, but leave a slot for coke zero.

[ 04-12-2006, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: popologist ]

XLS_04
04-13-2006, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by pepsidew:
around here coke zero doesn't seem to sell at all...for sure it doesnt sell as much as cherry coke same here in RI.

popologist
04-13-2006, 03:56 AM
like i said, similar to diet coke, zero is more of a city drink.

not to say that they don't drink diet coke in the suburbs. obviously, they do. but, in big cities, diet coke is chosen over coke classic.

my point is, zero is likely to do better where there are a lot of singles, metrosexuals and gays.

Originally posted by XLS_04:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by pepsidew:
around here coke zero doesn't seem to sell at all...for sure it doesnt sell as much as cherry coke same here in RI. </font>[/QUOTE]

XLS_04
04-14-2006, 12:12 AM
Coke zero might be doing well but I don't think it will replace diet Coke's sales.

it seems like a teenage/young adult type drink from the graphic scheme and ads.

diet Coke actually had a higher market share in its first year.

Finally, I also noticed users that joined bevnet when Coke zero came out and posted topics and topics and topics about Coke zero and then suddenly vanished from posting stuff within a week or two after it was released. That leads me to believe it was insiders that worked in the marketing department of one of the big 3 companies to create a hype and free publicity.

popologist
04-14-2006, 07:16 AM
i don't think that it will replace diet coke. but i'm almost certain that in a blind taste test, that zero would clobber diet.

also, the early buzz for zero was probably just because it was new. it's inevitable that it's going to die down eventually.

all i know is that stores near me continue to run out.

and, finally, the reason diet coke sold more its first year is simple... there really wasn't any competition... and coke put diet coke EVERYWHERE (restaurants, soda fountains, etc). that's not the case for coke zero, which is predominantly in supermarkets.

also, today, diet coke drinkers are as hard core as coke or pepsi drinkers, so it would take a lot to get them to switch to a new drink. my guess is that coke zero is picking up new drinkers and people who never really liked diet coke or diet pepsi. and i think (hope) its market share will continue to grow.

what i'm curious to know is whether coke zero has stolen more sales from diet coke or diet pepsi.

[ 04-14-2006, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: popologist ]

Mr Zabe
04-14-2006, 07:54 AM
My guess is diet coke.

Most and not all diet Pepsi drinkers would not cross over and try/buy a coke product. Call it soda pop brand brain washing at it's best. LOL IMO

SURGE
04-15-2006, 02:44 AM
Coke published something at a few months after
launch that said it took 50% of its share out of Diet Pepsi and Pepsi One and about 45% from Diet Coke- it is very targetted at Diet Pepsi drinkers especially since CZ is to classic what DPepsi is to Pepsi. But obviously one of the reasons Coke Zero fountouns are rare is becouse w/ DC there is really no point.

popologist
04-15-2006, 06:13 AM
it's possible that that's true, when you consider that diet coke's market share edged up (slightly) last year, and diet pepsi's slid.

also, keep in mind that a lot of pepsi drinkers prefer diet coke... and maybe that's because diet coke is based on the "new coke" formula that tastes more like pepsi.

so, therefore, coke zero is attracting diet drinkers who prefer coke classic.

Originally posted by SURGE:
Coke published something at a few months after
launch that said it took 50% of its share out of Diet Pepsi and Pepsi One and about 45% from Diet Coke- it is very targetted at Diet Pepsi drinkers especially since CZ is to classic what DPepsi is to Pepsi. But obviously one of the reasons Coke Zero fountouns are rare is becouse w/ DC there is really no point.

SamC
04-15-2006, 10:56 AM
In my area (CCBCC) they just launched Zero in 6 packs of 16.9 oz bottles. Only the Real Thing, diet, CF, CF diet, Sprite, and Diet Sprite have been selling in 16.9s.

This is evidence of the popularity of the drink.

Zero is what Coke should have done in 83.

popologist
04-15-2006, 03:15 PM
that's encouraging (for CZ lovers).

and, you're right, it is a little odd that coca-cola's flagship diet beverage isn't based on the coke classic formula.

of course, nobody really knew that until coke zero was released and we were told that diet coke was based on the "new coke" formula all along.

either way, it's hard to argue with success. diet coke drinkers are just as avid as coke classic and pepsi drinkers.

coke zero has a kind of "cult" following right now... but, in my opinion, it truly is a superior diet cola. but, the only way it will ever catch up with diet coke is if it's sold in fast food fountains.

Originally posted by SamC:
In my area (CCBCC) they just launched Zero in 6 packs of 16.9 oz bottles. Only the Real Thing, diet, CF, CF diet, Sprite, and Diet Sprite have been selling in 16.9s.

This is evidence of the popularity of the drink.

Zero is what Coke should have done in 83.

mjb1124
04-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by popologist:
of course, nobody really knew that until coke zero was released and we were told that diet coke was based on the "new coke" formula all along.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Actually, it's been a known fact (at least among soda diehards) for quite some time.

popologist
04-15-2006, 05:59 PM
well i didn't know. and the average person probably STILL doesn't know. that's what i meant.

the ads just kind of suggest it by saying "real cola taste."