PDA

View Full Version : Coke Blak

greg
04-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Just went to the Publix Grocery Store here in Weston, Fl and I found Coke Blak stacked 2 1/2 cases high next to the Beverage aisle. No pricing, no POP/POS, nothing. I picked up and bought it. 4-8oz bottles for $6.59.

I don't know what makes this product so valuable because its taste was just alright to me. It tatsed like a flat Coke with a syrupy/coffee taste.

Mr Zabe
04-12-2006, 02:41 PM
So much for those stellar roll outs of the past. LOL (Said with rich sarcasm.)

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-12-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm definitely ok with paying nigh 5 dollars for a 4pack of this stuff, but over $6.50 is ridiculous.

DJHS

greg
04-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by DJ HawaiianShirt:
I'm definitely ok with paying nigh 5 dollars for a 4pack of this stuff, but over $6.50 is ridiculous.

DJHS I figured around $4 since there was no pricing or POP up. When the cashier scanned it and it said $6.59 both me and the guy I was with looked at each other immediately with our mouths wide open!

Mr Zabe
04-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Not to be a smart arse....WHAT A JOKE!
$6.59... not from my wallet. LOL

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-12-2006, 05:09 PM
OMG! too expensive! :eek: ... greg... my mouth is wide open too!

DMC
04-12-2006, 05:13 PM
we're selling the 4-packs for $4.98 everywhere, except Wal-Mart, which are price pointed to $3.98.

greg
04-12-2006, 05:21 PM
I had to try it because it is such a new product from Coke that is not one of the same ole run of the mill drinks that the big guys keep copying from each other and just adding lime, lemon, cherry, vanilla, etc.

I guess us folks down here in S Florida are just dumb enough to pay $6.59.....LOL

I've got 3 bottles left in the fridge here at work so i can give a better review tomorrow when it's nice and cold.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by DMC:
we're selling the 4-packs for $4.98 everywhere, except Wal-Mart, which are price pointed to $3.98. $3.98 looks a more reasonable price smile.gif

But no matter what's the price... I would buy it if I were in U.S. just to try it! :D

[ 04-12-2006, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

fixman88
04-12-2006, 09:31 PM
I found some at my local Albertson's today. It cost me $4.99 for a 4-pack but I figured I'd try it once. Turns out to be pretty good! It has a rich coffee taste with a sweet finish. I was worried about the Aspartame Aftertaste based on what I read here, but it didn't have one. It seems to have a normal level of carbonation in it as far as I can tell. Aspartame and Ace-K are listed as the last 2 ingredients, so they must be present in very small amounts only. Coffee Extract is listed right after Natural Flavors, and I believe it; It gave me an energy boost while I was still drinking it! $4.99 is a bit steep for 4 of them, so I hope they lower the price some. I would have to guess that they are trying to compete directly with Frappucino, but I don't that would be wise or for that matter necessary, since they are in different categories. I hope it becomes a hit; I was pleasantly suprised by it!

popologist
04-12-2006, 11:10 PM
coke is crazy if they think regular people are going to pay that amount for coke with coffee in it.

they're delusional.

Doug
04-13-2006, 12:45 AM
This product is destined to fail unless Coke gets the retailers to price it around 2.99 or so for a 4 pack

Theta Sigma
04-13-2006, 01:24 AM
LOL, I saw it for $6.99 a four-pack today!

I bought a cold single for $1.80, and loved it. The only thing I could possibly find fault with is that it's a bit more black that I prefer cofee to be. (I like my coffee light)

Then again, this is Coke Blak. :D

It would be better as a 20oz though.

Harris freeman
04-13-2006, 01:42 PM
8 years ago there was a brand called "Borgnine" coffee soda in a glass 12oz and it tasted pretty good but failed in the long run.In my opinion people want a Coke or a coffee but not a blend.If people like it than the price will be no issue.

videoman
04-14-2006, 02:24 AM
Coke apparently had a Coke BlaK "event" yesterday in Times Square. One of the guys from X-Entertainment went to check it out:

With the speed and efficiency of a top secret spy organization, Coke's team of magicians emptied an unmarked truck containing no less than FOUR HUNDRED TRILLION bottles of Coke BlaK, which were then poured into no less than FOUR HUNDRED MILLION big giant tubs filled with ice. Their goal: Get as many pedestrians to drink the holy drink as possible. Nobody turns down a free sample, and only an idiot would turn down a free sample that came in a glass bottle with a Coke logo on it. This was going to be hot, and after cursing out the elevator for taking too long using such horrible words that I'm almost going to feel like I have to apologize to it tomorrow, I arrived. I arrived, I looked up, and I shouted to God: "Yo big man, you behind this?" More info and pics at the website:

http://x-entertainment.com/updates/entries/archives/00000760.html

popologist
04-14-2006, 07:27 AM
so the glass bottles make it cost twice as much as it should?!?

and, even if it's tasty, most people just won't pay that much for coca-cola.

i mean, i might. and some of you might. but most people won't. "$7 for coca-cola? no way." and then they'll pick-up some cherry coke instead.

Mr Zabe
04-14-2006, 07:47 AM
LOL
A very popular morning talk radio show I try to catch once and awhile, The Don Wade and Roma show had a live Coke Blac taste test with some of their staff this morning. Don and his wife Roma are big time coffee drinkers. Don is a Coke drinker and Roma being born and raised in Texas loves Dr Pepper.

Oh my goodness was their test and comments ever so funny. By the way Don and Roma are pretty close to being in their late 50's. LOL They both did not like it at all. For 5 minutes or so poor Coke Blac got some sour Chicago radio press. LOL
Actually no one on their staff was digging it. LOL

This is going to be one memorable roll out summer. LOL I saw that Coke passed out free bottles of Blac somewhere in lower Manhattan the other day. I wounder if Chicago will get the same promotion?

[ 04-14-2006, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

NoVA Alex
04-14-2006, 11:41 AM
I'd give it a shot if I could only find it in a one-pack... ;)

popologist
04-14-2006, 12:04 PM
prediction: coke blak will be history in a year.

unless... they lower the price to regular soda, scrap the glass bottles, and sell it in fridepacks and 20 oz.

you heard it here first.

LordJezo
04-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Here is my review on it..

http://www.78west.com/wordpress/?p=52

(shameless plug.. I know)

About the cost, I don't think they are going for the soda market with this drink, by the price and the size of the bottle it looks like an entry into the energy drink category, a 4 pack of Red Bull costs about the same, but you are right when you say people will look at it, see that it's Coke, and just buy something cheaper.

But think, this could herald in the return of Pepsi Kona! I sort of miss that stuff.

mjb1124
04-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Tried this stuff today. It's a pretty strange taste, but I kinda like it. It's certainly better than Pepsi Holiday Spice, another odd flavor mix. I do think the coffee flavor could stand to be a little more natural-tasting, but the coffee/cola combo actually works pretty well for me. I wouldn't drink this all the time, but I could see myself having this once in a while.

[ 04-14-2006, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: mikibacsi1124 ]

jmyjunk
04-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by popologist:

unless... they lower the price to regular soda, scrap the glass bottles, and sell it in fridepacks and 20 oz.

you heard it here first. Yikes, would you drink it out of a 12oz can?

I think they are going for an another market here.

killjimmy
04-14-2006, 05:37 PM
I agree with dropping the bottles, or at least the prices on them. I think without one of those two options this product will be gone pretty soon. I like it though.

Mr Zabe
04-14-2006, 08:12 PM
I just brought a few bottles of Coke Blac.
I have seen TV and magazine adds of the bottle; I was not expecting to see such a small dainty bottle. LOL I picked up two bottles for $1.59 each.

I will try them latter. My first impression is that the price alone will sink this brand faster than wet mud. LOLOLOLOLOL

Review to follow soon or later. LOL

[ 04-14-2006, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

upinarms
04-14-2006, 08:22 PM
The huge gripe I have with it is that its way too expensive. I really don't see how they justify the $1.99-$2.29 price when 1) its 8 oz 2) it has coffee in it, not some high test herbal energy ingredients designed by a team of scientists.

Don't get me wrong, coffee isn't dirt cheap anymore but its fairly abundant and inexpensive so I just don't understand the pricing of it. Sure, I wouldn't expect it to be as cheap as a basic 8 oz glass Coke, but at least in the same ballpark, ya know?

I gotta admit, it tastes pretty good. First bottle I had I wasn't that impressed but Its been growing on me a lot lately. The flavor is very well balanced, it doesn't have too much coffee to make it offensive and it doesn't have too little to make to excessively bland.

It starts with the familar Coke bite but, doesn't quite manage to capture the crisp essence of a 8 oz bottle. It has more of that medicore 2 liter taste. However the Cola aspect of it is very short-lived and immediately a rush of black coffee arrives. Now, I do like coffee a bit, but definately not black. The flavor of it is very much like black java but the sweetness of the Coca Cola masks whatever bitterness there is pretty well - while creating a new taste altogether.

The finish has a little bite though - that acidic coffee taste with the sharp bubbly cola as well. It isn't unpleasant but it does remind you exactly what type of beverage you are drinking. All in all, much better than the other "coffee colas" I so vaguely remember from years ago. Those were all truly bad. Its pretty impessive Coke balanced it out so well.

The bottle design is very edgy, too. Taking the familiar slim glass design and giving it a new, darker, chic persona. Almost like Coke's evil twin or something. Its color scheme is very matte, but the background design stands at you like fireworks or an open flame. Its very catchy.

Vault is doing very well out here, if Blak starts to move that would be two solid products out of them this year. That would put some heat on Pepsi whose seen failing sales here with the sluggish Life Waters and dying MDX. Plus, that will at least make up for the pitiful mistake of TAB Energy.

So I wouldn't be surpised if it starts to pick up around here and move a little bit. I'm sure some clever advertising would help. I think its got a good shot. At least, more so than TAB Energy.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by popologist:

you heard it here first. If the price of an 8 oz. bottle is high... just imagine the price of a 20 oz. bottle... wow!

Mr Zabe
04-14-2006, 09:49 PM
Now I know store level POP varies form store to store ect. This evening ( this was Coke Blac's first hot sale's add.) I saw one of the poorest quality presentation of a new brand roll outs ever.

A stack of 7 cases high of Coke Blac bottles shoved in the back side of a cooler perpendicular to a post. Just a store sign no nothing to announce the roll out. It looked like the boxes slid of a small pallet with no merchandising. The only cold single bottles were hidden in a large cooler next to the diet Snapple.

I'm starting to wonder just what the heck Coca Cola is doing. IMO if I were not hip to this industry, there is no way I would even try this new brand. It saddens me to see the local Coca Cola bottler let this happen in one of the area's busiest grocery stores. :(

Mountain Dew and Pepsi had all kinds of cool POP and well designed displays. Pepsi had their game on for sure.

[ 04-14-2006, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-15-2006, 12:39 AM
One question... has Coca-Cola released any commercial of Coke Blak after the release of it?(different from the POParazzi commercial)

Lepke
04-15-2006, 12:44 AM
It’s almost $5.00 for a 4 pack here. While I like double shot and enjoy an espresso from time to time and I will have a cup of coffee in the morning. I will be dipped in shyte before I pay 5 bucks for 4 bottles of coffee coke. I don’t like coffee that much.

Mr Zabe
04-15-2006, 09:09 AM
In all my years of trying new Big Three Soda Pops,
Coke Blac has to be the most disappointing carbonated beverage I have ever tasted.

Coke Blac tastes like overly carbonated, too artificially sweet Coke Zero with fine ground remnants of day old coffee. Simply said I found this "Coffee/Soda Pop" beverage to be one of the most hideous swills I have ever tasted.

Yes, I did try Coke Blac with an open mind. Yes I drank it ice cold. Yes the 8oz bottle looks pretty sexy. Yes, $5.99 for this quality of drink is an absolute insult to all lovers of the Big Three Mass Market beverage drinkers.

NO....not in this life time will my two seasoned soda pop/beverage loving lips ever grace a bottle of Coke Blac again.

As Gomer Pyle used to say.."Shame,Shame,Shame". :(

[ 04-15-2006, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Lepke
04-15-2006, 09:45 AM
I believe coke has no intention of this product succeeding. It’s like I’ve said before this is just one more marketing extension.
It’s the best marketing dollars they could spend. It keeps people talking about their brand, secures more shelf space for the coke name and gets free media coverage.
And not only that but they get some money from sales to help pay for this marketing campaign.
It’s win /win for coke even when the product fails they will get the media coverage free of charge.

Coke has been on the market over 100 years. There is really not much to talk about any more. So they create something to talk about.

And coke is not the only company to find people to pay for their marketing.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Here's the reaction of a girl who tried Coke Blak...

Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGlagnl3xDM)

[ 04-19-2006, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

Mr Zabe
04-19-2006, 03:15 PM
MrR
I take it the laughter was NOT due to pleasure but of all out shock and pain?
<Said in jest. ;) >

[ 04-19-2006, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

CStoreCatMan
04-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
In all my years of trying new Big Three Soda Pops,
Coke Blac has to be the most disappointing carbonated beverage I have ever tasted.

Simply said I found this "Coffee/Soda Pop" beverage to be one of the most hideous swills I have ever tasted.

NO....not in this life time will my two seasoned soda pop/beverage loving lips ever grace a bottle of Coke Blac again.

As Gomer Pyle used to say.."Shame,Shame,Shame". :( Mr Z - you crack me up! "hideous swills" LMAO!! Do you remember my review of Blak from about a month or two ago? I told ya so!! smile.gif

Mr Zabe
04-19-2006, 04:38 PM
You just jogged my memory. smile.gif I sould have taken your advice. I brought two bottles. The first one a I drank a few ounces of. I'm waiting to ceremoniously pour the second one down Cold Hole of the Throne when Coca Cola ends production of said swill.

CStoreCatMan
04-19-2006, 04:56 PM
I read an article about Coke's new CEO - Neville Isdell. He talks about all kinds of stuff but had this to say about Coca-Cola Blak...

"Coke Blak is also re-energizing brand Coca-Cola and modernizing it. It is part of the revival of the brand and yet still based on the core. ... We think it deserves a premium price (about $1.99 per 8-ounce bottle). ... We will have brands out there which are high-revenue, high-margin but not necessarily high-volume. ... That is a different mind-set than where we have been before."

I understand they don't expect this to be high volume (duh) but to say one bottle of Blak DESERVES a $1.99 price point?? Hmm...

Mr Zabe
04-19-2006, 05:11 PM
If you read what CEO - Neville Isdell said,he makes absolutely no sense! You roll out a crappy extension to revitalize your core brand? That just is illogical at best.

If he thinks Coke Blac will be a high voulme beverage making above average profits, and it works out that way; I will shave off all my body hair and spend the night in a leech infested tank at sea world. LOL :cool:

[ 04-19-2006, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Doug
04-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by CStoreCatMan:
I read an article about Coke's new CEO - Neville Isdell. He talks about all kinds of stuff but had this to say about Coca-Cola Blak...

"Coke Blak is also re-energizing brand Coca-Cola and modernizing it. It is part of the revival of the brand and yet still based on the core. ... We think it deserves a premium price (about $1.99 per 8-ounce bottle). ... We will have brands out there which are high-revenue, high-margin but not necessarily high-volume. ... That is a different mind-set than where we have been before."

I understand they don't expect this to be high volume (duh) but to say one bottle of Blak DESERVES a $1.99 price point?? Hmm... 1.99 for the 4 pack and I might consider buying it regularly

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-20-2006, 10:26 AM
MrR
I take it the laughter was NOT due to pleasure but of all out shock and pain?
<Said in jest. ;) > LOL... :D ... IMO the reaction was like someone after licking a very sour lime...

[ 04-20-2006, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

fusion
04-20-2006, 11:08 AM
I think the packaging is a great idea - I honestly would be surprised if some packaging industry group doesn't give it an award this year.

But the price is what is going to kill it. In my opinion, it should be no more than $3.99 for a 4pk, and $1.25-$1.50 for a single bottle.

People are buying it, though. I think we've sold six cases or so in the WM that I normally do.. and it's not really in a suburban area, which would seem to be the target audience to me.

Unless it does well, I can see it being forgotten when Godiva RTD rolls out.

[ 04-20-2006, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: fusion ]

Mr Zabe
04-20-2006, 11:44 AM
I agree with you.
I have a weird feeling that Coca Cola had this type of marketing scheme planned out for Godiva.

Coke Blac has created a certain kind of mystery,one that does get out the Coke brand. Coca cola knew that Coke Blac was going to tank here in the US. But look at all the noise it has created (negative and positive) and curios interest.

Like I said before, Godiva has an awesome brand recognition for premium quality chocolate candy. I feel that the American public is now ready for a sinful,super high quality,reward milk based product. In short Godiva will be every thing the public thought Coke Blac was going to be.

It's like playing bad cop/good cop with new beverage roll out. Now would in not be amazing if Coca Cola rolled out Godiva 4pks at $3.99 with $0.89 singles for roll out specials. Do you see where I'm going with this.

Bad cop = Coke Blac 4 pk rolled out at $5.99
Good cop = Coke Godiva 4pk rolls out at $3.99

It's like throwing a few hunks of fish to attract a few big sharks to start feeding near a shark cage.

Spartan Dan
04-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Was there ever a Chocolate Coke?

Mr Zabe
04-20-2006, 12:02 PM
No to my knowledge.
I'm sure our fellow Coca Cola historians will have more info.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Chocolate Coke....as far as I know...Coca-Cola haven't released a Chocolate Cola before... :confused:

Wow...seeing that Coke Blak is not good in taste and also in sales... this probably will stuck the expansion of the product. I think that this product will only stay in U.S. and France... period.

BTW, maybe some of you have seen it... but I accidentally erased the link, but here you go again... here's a consumer report of KOTV Channel 6 Tulsa,OK about Coca-Cola Blak, in this report, reporter Rick Wells receives a Coke Blak press kit with media material and two 8 oz. bottles, so he gives to the Channel 6 staff some Coke Blak to try... how do they reacted to the taste?... check the video:

Coke Blak Report (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtlvfEVeI_M)

[ 04-20-2006, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

pepsidew
04-23-2006, 11:16 AM
picked up a bottle of coke blak today at a gas station...have you ever heard the saying "if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all"

so yeah i got some coke blak today

Mr Zabe
04-23-2006, 11:22 AM
LMAO

Bevorama
04-23-2006, 10:01 PM
I tried it. I don't like coffee, so I knew I wouldn't particularly like it (I just had to try it because it was new). And, true enough, it tasted like crap.

I just don't understand...if they think people will pay $1.99 for this coke product, why can't they roll out "Coke with real sugar"? It will be more expensive too (probably not even $1.99 per bottle)...and will actually taste good!!!

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Bevorama:
I tried it. I don't like coffee, so I knew I wouldn't particularly like it (I just had to try it because it was new). And, true enough, it tasted like crap.

I just don't understand...if they think people will pay $1.99 for this coke product, why can't they roll out "Coke with real sugar"? It will be more expensive too (probably not even $1.99 per bottle)...and will actually taste good!!! That would make way too much sense. It will never happen.

mr jones
04-23-2006, 10:58 PM
We need to Photoshop a bottle to read "Coke Blech"...

Mr Zabe
04-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Now that's funny! LMAO

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by mr jones:
We need to Photoshop a bottle to read "Coke Blech"... Have you seen the video of the KOTV report I posted before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtlvfEVeI_M

Reporter Rick Wells mentioned the same thing :D

[ 04-24-2006, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

Doug
04-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Well today I met the first person I know that LOVES Coke Blak-my stepsister...Now, she worked at Starbucks for about 4 years and she's in her mid-20s. That's the crowd that I think Coke is trying to reach with this drink. THe mid-20s woman who will hang out at Starbucks and pay 8 bucks for a cup of coffee

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-24-2006, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by mr jones:
We need to Photoshop a bottle to read "Coke Blech"... thou asketh, thou reciveth... a midnight photoshopping! its not that good, because i am tired... but its something... here ya go:

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/8817/cocacolablech0ie.th.jpg (http://img162.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cocacolablech0ie.jpg)
(click on the thumbnail for a larger image)

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-24-2006, 06:29 AM
I actually really like Coke Blak. And I respect Coke for marketing an "out there" product.

But the price is really ridiculous. Sure, putting it in glass gives it alot more class, like a coffee cola perhaps should, but it really puts it out of reach for most consumers, especially since, as BevNET always says, soda sales are repeat sales. But how bad is it that I, someone who likes Coke Blak, will only buy a couple of them before they're discontinued because they're so expensive?

That's another point. I really don't expect this product to last very much past summer, if that.

Mr Zabe
04-24-2006, 08:38 AM
DJHS
Granted I do not like Coke Blac,I do appreciate those that do. I mean not many people enjoy seltzer water the way I do. LOL I also think Coca Cola has made a major mess of marketing Coke Blac. I have already spoken my peace on this subject. I'm just offering some moral support.

[ 04-24-2006, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Yes Zabe, I'm surprised you don't like it, especially since you liked the flavored colas like BCVC. Do you like Dr Pepper Berries and Cream?

And I don't know HOW you can drink seltzer by itself...

You should be like me and try to make your own soda syrup to mix with it. smile.gif

Spartan Dan
04-24-2006, 10:40 AM
I'll have to try the coke blac.

what's it taste like?

Mr Zabe
04-24-2006, 11:08 AM
IMO Coke Blac tastes like Coke Zero with day old coffee grinds. LOL That's just my fickle taste buds. LOL

DJHS...DPBC is wonderful. It is everything I had been wanting for a long time. I reviewed it in the Dr Pepper Berries and Cream thread. I gave it 9.5 out of 10.

IMO....Seltzer water is like an engine burn for a jumbo jet. The cold rush of pure carbonation with no taste is intoxicating. For sure it is an acquired taste. IMO...drinking seltzer water is my base line for evaluating other flavored soda pops carbonation levels. The other thing is that seltzer water does an incredible job of calming my stomach after(drunken an hour or so after a meal) a filling meal. And finally, nothing beats a pure seltzer water belch. I have been know to rattle a window or two. LOL NOT

[ 04-24-2006, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

RoyalTech
04-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Hm... Chocolate coke.. Well why not i love chocolate malt beer..

jmyjunk
04-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Coca cola knew that Coke Blac was going to tank here in the US.Why would they go to all the trouble if they knew it was going to tank?
The problem with Coke Blak is 3 fold.
One, it is not a soda. Period. It is an cola coffee infusion. (try drinking in 2 quick gulps, it can't be done! ;) ) So put it where Starbucks and other coffee drinks are located. heck, put it near the coffee isle, near the real deal, as a point of display purchase. I have yet to see this. There is a display with Tab Energy, Vault etc. But no mention of what Coke Blak is. Why they have made it a mystery identity is kind of confusing. At least put on the bottle...somewhere...that it is coffee coke.

Two. Taste, why oh why cut it with an artificial sweetener? Yes, there is a mild bitter after taste. The product taste is good, but it is a sipping beverage, (again, why this is not a soda)
This is an already an "out there" beverage, they really need to put as much sugar into it. Full sugar in the formula would of made this product an out of the park home run.

Three. Price. Currently, I am seeing sale price for it at ~4.29. But MSRP is nearly $6.00. :eek: At that price, people will shy away from 4 bottles. Yes, things like Starbucks frappacino is as much, but it is a better beverage. These should be sold for at least a dollar a bottle.

It all a grand experiment, and I hope Coke does well, but I just don't see it happening.

[ 04-24-2006, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: jmyjunk ]

Mr Zabe
04-24-2006, 07:12 PM
LOL
We are in agreement as I pretty much have made the same points as you have. It does seem to amaze me that we (pretty much as a board) have been able to under stand the glaring weaknesses of the US Coke Blac marketing plan.

One would think that Coca Cola from all levels of management (product development to CEO) would have a better understanding of the dynamics of the US beverage market. I guess that's why I made that sarcastic remark about Coca Cola Blac "tanking". smile.gif

[ 04-24-2006, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Zap
04-25-2006, 03:56 AM
I was intrigued when I first heard about the product, but very disappointed to see any sort of artificial sweetener present, to the point of not even bothering to try it. I think real sugar would have put this product in a much better position to succeed , but the "blended" concept vs doing a sugar and a light version (or even HFCS and light) makes about as much sense as C2, which tanked even before Pepsi Edge did.

Mr Zabe
04-25-2006, 07:10 AM
Well said Zap. smile.gif

DGibb
04-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by RoyalTech:
Hm... Chocolate coke.. Well why not i love chocolate malt beer.. Well, chocolate and chocolate malted barley are worlds apart, good sir. Chocolate malt is made by taking the malted barley (basis for beer along with hops, yeast, and water) and roasting it so it gets dark. It makes it carmelized, bringing out the sugars and adding a slightly nutty flavor that roasted coffee has.

And, though I love it also, and I would more than likely love Chocolate Coke, they are not in my mind comparable.

By the way, have none of you ever been to a soda fountain? We have a Cheeburger Cheeburger here in Livonia, MI that mixes pop with syrups similar to the way soda jerks did back in the day, and they will add vanilla, cherry, chocolate, or whatever other flavor you want to any of the beverages they have. I have tried their version of ChocoCoke and it is delicious. Then again, their Vanilla Coke was worlds better than the bottled stuff.

Mr Zabe
04-25-2006, 11:31 AM
I have had only a handful of the original old time soda drinks. When I was a kid, I remember having a few fountain Cherry Cokes,Chocolate Phosphates, and Vanilla Cokes. As I have shared on a previous thread, my parents grew up savoring soda fountain drinks. They have many found memories of having their favorite drinks.

If coffee can make an incredible come back to the point of popular mass consumption, just maybe soda fountain drinks might have a chance of coming back. It would be nice to go to McDonald's type restaurant and get a "real" soda fountain Cherry Coke with your double cheese burger value meal. YUM (Could you tell lunch is on my mind.LOL)

[ 04-25-2006, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-25-2006, 12:48 PM
here we have a couple of places that will do that... steak and shake and dennys will do it for 25 cents, and the food place in Target has a few pumps of flavor for free

iowacity
04-25-2006, 06:38 PM
2 for $1 here in Iowa City. I am a big coffee drinker, and I kind of liked the drink (at least at 50¢ per bottle), but I think this product will fail miserably. The masses are NOT going to drink it. I probably wouldn't drink it regularly if I had to pay over $1 per bottle for it.

Mr Zabe
04-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Just to be fair,I was going to toss out the other bottle I brought last week. Most of you know that I did not enjoy it. So after reading some feedback this morning I decided to try sipping the remaining bottle very slowly as if I was
tasting wine. I took it real slow,I let it foam in my mouth...the who nine yards of tasting on a more exact level.

Even after all that effort, I still threw out over half the bottle and vowed never again shall I torture my taste buds with that swill.LOL The diet like after taste could kill fire ants in their tracks. LOL Like has been said, the mass market will never latch on to this drink.

[ 04-25-2006, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Rollerwings
04-25-2006, 09:10 PM
I guess my hopes of seeing the Coke Blak 3-liter are now crushed. :(

I love coffee and have tried mixing it with cola with mediocre results, but I have tried Blak and I will never go back! I usually despise diet drinks but I can barely taste the Ace-K in Blak. I dunno why it's even there because it's got plenty of HFCS already.

The glass bottle with its fancy plastic skin is cute but like Popologist said, unless this product is made less "prissy" it's going to fail. Most of my fellow black coffee drinkers prefer their beverages simple and even cheap, not in a gussied-up trendy bottle.

[ 04-25-2006, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Rollerwings ]

popologist
04-25-2006, 11:00 PM
i've yet to see blak yet.

Doug
04-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Rollerwings:
I guess my hopes of seeing the Coke Blak 3-liter are now crushed. :(

I love coffee and have tried mixing it with cola with mediocre results, but I have tried Blak and I will never go back! I usually despise diet drinks but I can barely taste the Ace-K in Blak. I dunno why it's even there because it's got plenty of HFCS already.

The glass bottle with its fancy plastic skin is cute but like Popologist said, unless this product is made less "prissy" it's going to fail. Most of my fellow black coffee drinkers prefer their beverages simple and even cheap, not in a gussied-up trendy bottle. I think that's what Coke's going for though, lol...The "gussies" that hang out at Starbucks

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Anybody knows how is Coke Blak doing in France? :confused:

popologist
05-04-2006, 01:19 PM
i finally picked up some blak today, and...

the first sip was...

not awful, not great (and keep in mind that i'm not a coffee drinker), but, then...

as i drank more... i actually came to like it.

personally, though... i think they should just make it without the sugar... i doubt it would effect the taste much... and then calorie counters could drink more of it.

i'll definitely pick up more... and keep some in the fridge as a novelty drink for guests.

i wonder how it'd taste with some bailey's irish cream in it...

Original prankstA
05-06-2006, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by greg:
Just went to the Publix Grocery Store here in Weston, Fl and I found Coke Blak stacked 2 1/2 cases high next to the Beverage aisle. No pricing, no POP/POS, nothing. I picked up and bought it. 4-8oz bottles for $6.59.

I don't know what makes this product so valuable because its taste was just alright to me. It tatsed like a flat Coke with a syrupy/coffee taste. i agree except i don't think it's very good at all, my mom's obsessed with it though

mjb1124
05-06-2006, 01:31 AM
Count me in as another person who likes Coke Blak. The taste is kinda weird, but pleasing. I wish the coffee flavor tasted a little less artificial, but I think the idea of mixing coffee with cola works. Actually, this makes me long for a carbonated, sweetened coffee drink - not a coffee cola, just a coffee soda. Maybe Starbucks, through their partnership with Pepsi, could come out with something like that.

That said, I agree the Coke Blak is overpriced - though I like the idea of having it in glass, and the bottle looks cool.

popologist
05-06-2006, 07:41 AM
the bottle is "beautiful." really. it's very eye-catching and pleasing. coke scores an A+ for design.

the beverage itself isn't bad, and i'd drink it again, as a quick pick-me-up.

but, like others have said, it might be a little better if it had a "creme" taste to it, and/or, maybe no sugar at all.

cokepa
05-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Does anyone have any idea why there is nothing on the bottle about coffee (except for what is buried in the ingredients list)? How is anyone supposed to know what it is by simnply looking at the bottle? And why buy something if you don't know what it is? Seems to be poor marketing to me. Some of the POS I have seen does say something about coffee on it though.

popologist
05-07-2006, 07:58 AM
i was wondering the same thing the other day, cokepa... when i picked up a few bottles. i looked it over and thought, "it doesn't say anything about coffee."

they need to fix that. because if you're not prepared for the bitter taste of coffee... you're going to spit it out and think it's spoiled or something.

they could easily call it "coffee fusion cola" or "cola fused with coffee effervescence" or some fluffy crap like that. ha!

upinarms
05-07-2006, 03:59 PM
http://images.geekazoids.net/lg_blak.jpg

Coke Blah?

I actually kinda like it. Its a decent drink just to relax with and sip slowly. Its definately not refreshing, but nice for an 8 oz pick-me-up.

Mr Zabe
05-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Fist off....outstanding picture of Coke Blah!!!!

For $6 an 8oz 4pk...I can think a few other ways to get a beverage or other wise "pick-me-up".LMAO tongue.gif

[ 05-07-2006, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

cokepa
05-07-2006, 06:14 PM
Blak is selling so well in our area that they are going to soon roll out a flavor extension called Black Cherry Vanilla Lime Coca-Cola Blak Zero! Just kidding, of course.

I agree the bottle design is a winner. It really looks neat. It'll be interesting to see how many people are repeat buyers of Blak because we are likely seeing mostly first-timers right now. However, it is flying off the shelves compared to Tab Energy, which hasn't even generated much first-time interest as far as I can see.

ChrisPC
05-10-2006, 12:19 PM
The first sip was really odd; I think it's the Splenda. It got a lot better, and I really liked it. I'll buy it again.

popologist
05-10-2006, 12:25 PM
i agree.

that first sip catches you off guard. and, then... with each following sip... it gets better and better.

i'll buy it again (if it's around long enough) but this isn't something i'll drink regularly. it's more of something to bring out at a party or as an after dinner drink.

Originally posted by ChrisPC:
The first sip was really odd; I think it's the Splenda. It got a lot better, and I really liked it. I'll buy it again.

Phire
05-10-2006, 09:33 PM
I bought some Blaq today thinking it was an energy drink, all it says on the bottle is "Fusion Drink". When I took my first sip I was caught off guard, it tasted like coffee, but I liked it. The first thing that came in my mind is Starbucks, but it is from Coca-cola. My only complaint is that it comes in a bottle for babies.

jesse m
05-11-2006, 05:38 PM
I just recently bought a case of coke blak, it cost me 4.99$ :eek:

The Hot Coffee Bunny
08-15-2006, 07:45 PM
I tried Coke Blak and loved it. It is what it is! Coke and Coffee. What a wonderful thing. Sugar, coffee and caffiene! It is great for summer.

The Hot Coffee Bunny
08-15-2006, 07:48 PM
I think they should have 2 liters. I would drink it in mass quanities and see what happens!