PDA

View Full Version : So, do you think Vanilla Coke is here to stay?

Nostalgia
08-05-2003, 10:13 PM
I have seen both Vanilla coke and it's diet variation sold in all supermarkets and convienient stores that I have come across since it's release back in early 2002 and public reception of the product seems to be decent enough to warrant Vanilla coke as one of the very few successful beverages introduced in this new millenium, but how long do you think the novelty will last? Personally I thought Vanilla Coke was a good move for the company and I can't wait until Pepsi embarrasses themselves with their upcoming Pepsi Vanilla rip-off.

fusion
08-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Vanilla Coke sales are off over 50% since last year. I attribute a lot of that to the inital placement of the product, not just in repeat sales. Just imagine how many cases it takes just to stock every cooler, shelf, and display for the initial launch.

Pepsi Vanilla should give a little lift to the whole category. But I honestly doubt we'll see Vanilla colas around in ten years.

teamtitan512
08-06-2003, 02:46 AM
I think sales will decrease, but I think this type of drink will stay, because it's a favorite from the past in soda fountains. I think marketing will greatly decrease now, but I think it will fall into a place where Cherry Coke was in a lot of places for years, before this new marketing blitz that's raising it to higher points than ever before.

SURGE
08-06-2003, 03:42 PM
Well VC is off upwards of 50% but that was expected. I still think its a good preformer and Pepsi Vanilla can only help the category even if it looks to be a total rip. I think vanilla is here to stay just like cherry.

steveu
08-08-2003, 09:26 PM
One store I go to had, for a while, a Vanilla Coke syrup dispenser next to the fountain dispenser. There were recommendations to how many squirts to put in with your coke for each size (20,32,44 oz.). I liked it because you could eventually get the syrup just as you wanted it and the taste was better than the regular bottled kind.

Unfortnately, the distributor pulled it, so no more.

The Doomite
08-08-2003, 11:16 PM
I personally hope that Vanilla Coke is here to stay. I've liked it since it first came out last year. Maybe Pepsi Vanilla will drop off, but I think V-Coke is just about the right taste for a good vanilla cola, without mixing your own. I might be a little hasty in passing judgement on Pepsi Vanilla without trying it again, but I still like V-Coke better. And unlike Pepsi Blue, which I'll probably have to stockpile before they quit making it (I still like that stuff!), V-Coke is something that I can just get like a 12 pack or something occasionally. The Doomite Is Out! :eek:

Shatter
08-09-2003, 01:37 AM
You'd better start stockpiling Pepsi Blue right now. My store's Pepsi rep told me it's officially discontinued here. Although that might just mean the local bottler. He told me that there was one store on his route that he hadn't pulled Blue out of and replaced with Pepsi Vanilla yet, so I left work early (I might catch hell for that, but it was worth it) and bought all their remaining 12-packs (which were really, really out of date). I gots to have my Blue. In fact, I think i'll have to change my avatar in memorium.

Nostalgia
08-09-2003, 02:25 AM
I know it might be unfair to judge a person's personality based on what they drink but I have noticed that Pepsi Blue is only popular amongst certain people. I don't know if there is a name for them but let me just say this...

If you're a teenager who wears an upside down backwards visor, 3 foot wide gumby pants, end every sentence with "yo" or "Dawg", describe things you like as "MaD TyT3", drive a Honda Civic and think it's a race car, think 2Fast2Furious is a great movie and spend more than 30 minutes a day watching MTV....then chances are you probably drink Pepsi Blue, afterall it's the "trendy" thing to do.

drpep
08-09-2003, 10:02 PM
I'm 38 years old. What the fudge is MaD TyT3 and how do you pronounce it? :confused: :confused:

Shatter
08-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Actually, i'm a 34 year old nerd. I drink Pepsi Blue because I like the flavor. It's the flavor that counts to me. I didn't pre-judge it because it's made by Pepsi (who some people around here believe is evil incarnate for no other reason than daring to compete with Coke) or that it's colored blue (the same color as glass cleaner, purely coincidental). I drink it because my taste buds tell my brain that it tastes good. End of story.

teamtitan512
08-10-2003, 08:56 PM
Well I'll just keep contributing to Vanilla Coke sales, because if I'm around, you'll find less of it.

Nostalgia
08-11-2003, 02:52 AM
I hate pepsi blue. It changes the color of my poop. As for the person who asked how to pronounce MaD TyT3. Just ask any high school wuss what he thought of the movie The Fast and The Furious and he will tell you...."It's MaD TyT3 YO!"

The Doomite
08-12-2003, 12:30 AM
I'm a 24 year old college student who has never been afraid to be my own person. And I've never been into that whole "pop/rap/skater" thing, in fact I wish the youth of America would wake up and break out of this whole "player/diva princess" phase. Simply put, I like what I think tastes good, and there isn't really anything in the popular media that will influence my tastes. I am going to have to buy a couple 12 packs of Blue whenever I get back to my dorm (I'm at home now) in case its extinction is imminent in the near future. This is why I have the Crystal Pepsi glass as my avatar: I really liked that product when it was around, and I was sad to see it go. There, I've said my piece. The Doomite Is Out! :eek:

mjb1124
09-10-2003, 10:01 PM
I also noticed that Pepsi Blue is mostly drunk by girls in their early teens. However, I honestly don't think anybody drinks any kind of soda to be "cool" or "trendy"...I mean come on, how ridiculous is that? I cringe whenever people insist that young people drink Mountain Dew to be cool...I'm 18 and Mountain Dew has been my favorite drink for years. Why? Because I love the taste...I think it's to die for. I have Dew cravings without warning...and when I'm really thirsty, it's what I tend to go for. I drink Code Red a lot too.

mjb1124
09-10-2003, 10:04 PM
Oh and as for Vanilla Coke, I think it's definetely here to stay. The sales decreases kind of parallel my experience with the product....when VC first came out, I'd drink 1 or 2 a day...now it's more like 1 or 2 a week. It's still one of my favorites though, and I'd hate to see it go. I think it will just get to a point where it will stick at the level that Cherry Coke was before VC came along.

drpep
09-10-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by DewDoer:
I also noticed that Pepsi Blue is mostly drunk by girls in their early teens.You've actually seen someone drink Pepsi Blue :eek: :eek: :eek:

matador
09-19-2003, 06:27 PM
I hope so, I love it

Hacksaw
09-19-2003, 08:19 PM
Yep. I think it will stay around on par with Cherry Coke.