PDA

View Full Version : should diet coke add ace-k?

popologist
04-14-2006, 12:05 PM
i know that diet coke is the best-selling diet cola, and that millions and millions of people absolutely love it, but... it still has that bitter after taste which a lot of the new diet sodas no longer have... because of ace-k.

should diet coke switch to an aspartame/ace-k blend? and... if they did... would they have to put stickers on the cans/bottles to announce the change? or could they do it without mentioning it?

after drinking the ace-k and splenda sodas, i really find it difficult to drink diet coke any more.

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-14-2006, 03:58 PM
At least at this point, that would be suicide for Coke.

That's why Coke Zero and Pepsi One aren't incredibly successful, because diet fundamentalists are hooked on aspertame.

mjb1124
04-14-2006, 04:05 PM
I don't see why they couldn't add ace-K in order to mask some of the aftertaste without changing the flavor or sweetness level. I had some UK Diet Coke (with ace-K) on a flight from Europe, and it pretty much tasted like a slightly less bitter version of the US formula. But, I suppose the diehards would raise hell just because of the mere fact that they were tinkering with the formula.

[ 04-14-2006, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: mikibacsi1124 ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Yes, they could change the sweetener to ace-K and casual drinkers would like the change.

But the Diet Coke drinkers that drink several bottles/cans a day would not. Changing the sweetener would completely change the taste of the drink, no matter what kind of chemical magic they could cook up to hide the lack of aspertame.

Look around the board, look at the backlash that has been made by the old Diet Mt Dew fans. It's because they changed the sweetener.

The old Diet Dew's fanbase is miniscule compared to that of Diet Coke. The backlash would be enormous.

I think it will happen eventually, but I have no clue how they'll do it.

Maybe Coke can change the formula once per year by adding a slight amount of ace-K each year to be barely noticeable. In 20 years, the formula could be fully coverted. It's just crazy enough to work.

popologist
04-14-2006, 07:48 PM
thanks guys. but would they have to announce that they're adding ace-k... even if slowly?

mjb1124
04-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by DJ HawaiianShirt:
Maybe Coke can change the formula once per year by adding a slight amount of ace-K each year to be barely noticeable. In 20 years, the formula could be fully coverted. It's just crazy enough to work. [/QB]Isn't that what they kinda did while transitioning from saccharin to aspartame in the 80s? And from sugar to HFCS for that matter?

Originally posted by popologist:
thanks guys. but would they have to announce that they're adding ace-k... even if slowly? They added ace-K to Diet Sprite, Fresca, and some other sodas a few years ago without any fanfare. I had been drinking Diet Sprite regularly around that time and I didn't notice any difference until I gazed at the ingredient label one day.

popologist
04-14-2006, 09:26 PM
people WILL notice the difference in diet coke though. also, keep in mind, diet coke sells almost as much as pepsi, so... changing the formula (even if it's just the sweetener) could tick a lot of people off.

honestly, after the whole "new coke" fiasco, coca-cola is afraid to change the diet coke formula at all. though they did change it to add nutra-sweet. so, maybe, someday they will.

SURGE
04-15-2006, 03:50 AM
I agree it would be suicide at this point- they are better offering Splenda and other versions. If any of these alternative versions take off then they could try and incorpereate the two. But at his point Diet Coke's formula is as likely to change as TaB's. Though the slow transition idea is a good one I feel ace-k will be insignificant in 5-10 years. Sweeteners have just been progressing so quickly recently.

XLS_04
04-15-2006, 04:35 AM
I honestly think there are too many and most people are confused with all these sweeteners and fancy names so they are staying with what they know best.

I honestly do not hear anyone (the general public) talk about Ace-K, the only stuff that people do seem to talk about the past few years is Splenda as a sugar substitute.

Doug
04-16-2006, 12:53 AM
If it's not broke, don't fix it!

ColaFan
04-16-2006, 03:53 AM
No one would notice. In the fountain kiosks, (like at places at McDonalds), they add saccharin. No one ever complains about that. I dont think they will change their formula, I do think you will see more sweetener blends in the future. DIfferent sku's.

ColaFan
04-16-2006, 03:56 AM
BTW... ace K by itself tastes terrible. I mean really terrible. It's not a true sweetener, it's a sweetener modifier. It needs to be used in conjunction with another sweetener.

popologist
04-16-2006, 08:45 AM
i suppose that's how coke looks at it. after all, diet coke is almost the #2 drink these days... and growing. so, i guess it'd be kind of dumb to "fix" it.

i guess what will be interesting is to see if all of these diet cokes can survive... say, ten years down the road.

for now, it looks like diet coke is its flagship diet cola, since it's has more shelf space and is at restaurants and soda fountains.

and, then, for now, coke zero and diet coke with splenda are sort of "cult" or "niche" drinks. whether they grow beyond that will probably depend on future growth.

Originally posted by Doug:
If it's not broke, don't fix it!

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by ColaFan:
BTW... ace K by itself tastes terrible. I mean really terrible. It's not a true sweetener, it's a sweetener modifier. It needs to be used in conjunction with another sweetener. Yes, let's clarify: whenever we say "ace-k", we really mean aspertame and ace-k, which supposedly cancel out most of each other's aftertaste.

popologist
05-03-2006, 03:31 PM
i bought a bottle of diet coke at work today (because they don't have coke zero in the vending machine yet) and... ugh! that stuff is terrible! i think even diet pepsi and pepsi one taste better.

coke really needs to update the formula (with ace-k)... because it really is that bad... and coke zero is making it look bad.

PS--the metallic silver label looks awesome though! hmm. maybe they want the label to look how the soda tastes... metallic. ha ha ha!

[ 05-03-2006, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: popologist ]

No Soda
05-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Both Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi in Canada have Ace-K in addition to aspartame. So, if you drink a Canadian Diet Coke, you're drinking Coke Zero. Myself, I prefer Diet to Zero...thought I'd like a soda with two sweeteners, but that wasn't the case.

DrPepper86
05-03-2006, 09:53 PM
^ I have to agree Diet Coke is pretty nasty,Coke Zero is much better!!!!!

popologist
05-04-2006, 12:32 AM
i was reading an article about "new Coke" on wikipedia recently, and it said that Coke could've... should've... changed the taste of Old Coke without telling everyone.

so, i guess they could do it with Diet Coke as well. and, technically, they wouldn't really be changing the taste... just "adusting the sweeteners" a little.

popologist
05-04-2006, 12:34 AM
oh really? i didn't know this.

can i order canadian diet coke online? i'd be curious to try it.

from what i've read, european diet coke also uses ace-k and is considered better tasting than american diet coke.

but i just think that, after the new coke fiasco, coca-cola is afraid to tinker with the huge success of diet coke.

Originally posted by No Soda:
Both Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi in Canada have Ace-K in addition to aspartame. So, if you drink a Canadian Diet Coke, you're drinking Coke Zero. Myself, I prefer Diet to Zero...thought I'd like a soda with two sweeteners, but that wasn't the case.

Zap
05-04-2006, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by popologist:

from what i've read, european diet coke also uses ace-k and is considered better tasting than american diet coke.

but i just think that, after the new coke fiasco, coca-cola is afraid to tinker with the huge success of diet coke.
Why in the world does Coke sell the absolute worst products in their home country? I've been watching this thread as an outside observer (regular soda for me) but both the standard (for certain, see the KP thread!) and diet versions of Coke are worse than their outside-the-country counterparts, or so the majority seems to say. It all comes down to the bottom dollar, and Coke is doing fine as-is, so they could care less providing a better product, or so it seems.

DJ HawaiianShirt
05-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Zap:
Why in the world does Coke sell the absolute worst products in their home country? Don't forget American Fanta as compared to Fanta EVERYWHERE ELSE!!! :mad:

:D

Mr Zabe
05-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Sad but true...American Fanta is just so so. :rolleyes:

Zap
05-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Ugh.... how could I forget that over zealously colored shadow of a soda? :rolleyes:

The Fanta I've had from Ireland was insanely good (had real orange juice in it and I got it at Jungle Jim's). The Mexican Fanta isn't the same, but still a million times better than the American version. My sister and her friends drink Fanta all the time, so I got her some Mexican ones (which she said were much much better!)

popologist
05-05-2006, 12:09 AM
maybe americans like their food and soda bland. LOL.