PDA

View Full Version : The Fanta Phenomenon

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-23-2005, 03:19 PM
Any soda fan who has been overseas can tell you that non-American Fanta is absolutely wonderful. Check BevNET's review if you haven't.

Fanta is sold in almost every country in the world(or at least every country where any Coke product is sold), and it sells well it seems, else it wouldn't have such a widespread distribution.

Even other flavors of Fanta are sold(depending on where you are), and having tried about a half dozen of them, I can tell you they're great.

So why do you think the United States is stuck with these disgusting Fanta iterations and not the brilliant overseas formulations?

I can't imagine that Americans' tastebuds are much different than anybody else's. I can't see why Coke thinks that they wouldn't do well here.

Does anybody know the history of this subject? Were the Euro/Int'l formulas ever marketed here?

Are American fruit sodas(save a few) doomed for mediocrity?

rc4me
06-23-2005, 06:03 PM
Don't know what to think. I thought they stopped selling Fanta stateside. I used to drink it as a kid (orange/grape) were passable but without trying the foreign versions it's hard to say. I do know they've re-introduced it with tv ads but I've yet to see it in the stores. I'll try it when I do.

Hacksaw
06-23-2005, 09:37 PM
I see your point. Fanta Orange has been downgraded from what it used to be. Euro Fanta Orange is good. I miss their Red Cream Soda. Their Root Beer was so-so; I've found better.

I do see all 4 basic Fanta flavors around here in the normal markets.

So, if CCE wants to surrender market share to Thomas Kemper, Hank's, IBC, Stewart's, Boylan's, and others due to have a lower quality product, so be it.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-24-2005, 09:09 AM
Yes, I'm talking about the new, re-released flavors. There are 4: Orange, Grape, Strawberry, and Pineapple. All of them are a disgrace, except for orange, which is average at best.

Hollow Man
06-24-2005, 11:09 AM
The Fanta Orange is at least better than their Minute Maid Orange, which always had an off taste to me. Fanta Orange pales next to my favorite, Sunkist.

-HM

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-24-2005, 01:03 PM
I agree. Sunkist has been among the best for a long time.

boodoo
06-24-2005, 01:37 PM
About a million years ago I worked for a Coke bottler who bottled Fanta as well. I absolutely loved the orange and grape. But the junk they roll out now is a far cry from the old stuff.

Mr Zabe
06-24-2005, 01:54 PM
boodoo,
I too remember that orange and grape Fanta were very tasty when they first came out. Fanta grape gave Nehi a run for the money. Those were the days two good grapes soda pops to drink. Now a days I really dig Welches Grape.

[ 06-24-2005, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

mjb1124
06-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Well, I'll be in Hungary during August, so I'll get to have the good Fanta stuff. Last time, I was there, they had Orange, Lemon, Lime, and Wild Berry flavors, all of which were excellent. Since then, they've apparently added Grape and Elderberry flavors. Unfortunately, I think they may have dropped Lime, which would be too bad because that was my favorite. But nevertheless, I'm looking forward to having Euro-Fanta again.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-24-2005, 04:37 PM
In France, I had the Lemon and liked it so much that I brought a liter bottle home with me.

They also had a berry flavor and a blood orange flavor. Both were great.

Edit: There we go, I found it. The lemon was called "Citron Frappé" and the blood orange is called "Madness".

I also remember having "Greenz", which is a mixture of sour apple, melon, and lime.

They also have "Citron Vert"(lime), and "Free Framboise"(grapefruit with raspberry).

[ 06-24-2005, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: SnappleElementsVenom ]

Hacksaw
06-24-2005, 07:28 PM
I still drink the US Fanta Strawberry & Pineapple.

The best grape now is Gray's, & the best orange is Baumeister, more like Euro Fanta Orange.

ramonazo
06-26-2005, 01:30 AM
While in U.S. there's a great variety of Fanta Flavors to choose, here in Aguascalientes we have only the Orange and Strawberry flavors... Peach, Tangerine, Lemon and Orange-Chamoy were dumped.

Only Pachuca and Cuautla have more flavors: Pineapple, Tamarindo and Sangria.

[ 06-27-2005, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

da987
06-26-2005, 03:45 PM
I have just received a copy of the 2005 Coca-Cola Annual Report.
Very interesting to read that Fanta Light (Diet Fanta) has been re-named Fanta Free in Sweden & Finland. It's called Fanta Z here in England.
Mexico has introduced Fanta Naranja Chamoy, which features the taste of Mexican sweet chili.
Australia introduced Fanta Spider,which combined the fruity taste of Fanta, with the flavour of ice cream as a limited edition, it was so popular that it sold out 6 weeks earlier than expected.
Germany introduced Fanta Citrell, which is a mid calorie soda, but has no details of what the flavour was.
Australia also got Sprie Recharge, China got Sprite Icy Mint, and South Africa got Fruitopia.

ramonazo
06-27-2005, 12:52 AM
True, but what they don't say in their Annual Report is that Fanta Naranja Chamoy was discontinued at the beginning of 2005...

BTW, What do you think of this Fanta logo?, this logo is used in France, India, Brazil, Chile, Colombia (as Crush), Switzerland and Mexico.

http://www.coca-cola-shop.ch/public/verkaufen/logos/fanta/logo_fanta_orange_190.jpg

[ 06-27-2005, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-27-2005, 01:16 PM
A better logo for a better product.

rc4me
06-27-2005, 05:30 PM
My Favorite Grape is : Nehi (Crush is 2nd)
Orange = Nehi (again Crush is 2nd)

da987
06-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Ithink the logo is pretty cool

MISTICman
06-29-2005, 02:54 PM
I LOVE the pineapple, hate the peach and orange, but moderately like the grape and strawberry. Around here, pineapple is ONLY sold in 20 oz. bottles. I was shocked to see 2L in DC, but wish they had 12pks. for me to bring home. I LOVED the (blue)berry they had for a limited time in Danville. It was the best flavor of them all.

USF SPAMMER 1
07-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Americans love low grade crap. Look at their love of swill like Olive Garden and McDonalds. People in the states are getting what they want and probably deserve.