PDA

View Full Version : My Canada Trip

jmyjunk
06-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Just got back from a week in BC, and wanted to share my soda experiences.

Coca-Cola Classic/Classique- I don't know if it is my taste buds, but the Canadian version is slightly sweeter, and fizzier than it's US counterpart (which taste a bit watery compared to the Canadian Version)

Coca Cola with Lime/Coca Cola a la Lime-
Not good at all. There is a slight formulation difference between this, and its US counterpart. The soda itself is ok, but I could not detect the lime taste, do to the over sweetness of the drink. Again, this soda was very fizzy.

Crush Lime- YIKES! this soda is neon green, and it taste like pure syrup, I could not finish the whole bottle.

Sprite- The same thing, no difference. Except the packaging has the new graphics.

All the cans and bottles now have the Canadian nutrition label. Which looks almost identical to the US one, except it is also in French.
However, unlike the US version, which blends in to the product (e.g. Coke nutrition label is white on red) The Canadian label is White on Black, no matter the color of the product. Thus all new cans that have this.

[ 06-24-2005, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: jmyjunk ]

PSOmasterX77
06-25-2005, 07:49 PM
I love canadian mountain dew:citrus smooth <3

ramonazo
06-26-2005, 12:21 AM
My brother brought me when he traveled to Canada two 20 oz. bottles of Vanilla Coke, and I tried one of them, It tastes much better than the U.S. Vanilla Coke, and actually was the first Vanilla Coke that I ever tried. And the other bottle I'm keeping it in my closet.

TaB
06-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Classic is MUCH better in Quebec. Real sugar. smile.gif

Mr Zabe
06-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Just one of my goofy thoughts.

Has Coca Cola ever test marked a Classic Coke Premium soda pop. Classic Coke made with pure sugar cain. (Since they changed to HFCS.)

I would gladly pay a nice premium of say $6.00 for a 6 pk of 16oz bottles. What ever the size and amount; just to have fresh Coke as it was meant to be. I bet it would fly off the shelves.

I think Coke under estimates the refined taste buds of it customers.

[ 06-27-2005, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

jmyjunk
06-27-2005, 07:57 PM
I agree!

I just finished by last 2 liter of K for P Coca Cola, and I miss it.
I would glady pay extra for Coke Classic with cane sugar I could by at the supermarket.
Almost forgot, I tried C-Plus in a 591ml bottle, one of the better Orange Soda's out there!

SamC
06-27-2005, 08:48 PM
BTW, I was messing around on CCE's website, looking at their service territory map.

Who has the northern parts of Manatoba and Sasketchewan, and the three Canadian territories?

Seems like an awfully small population area to have its own bottler.

Same w/ Alaska.

fusion
06-28-2005, 12:16 AM
Well, I know you didn't ask, but I can tell you that the area around Red Deer, Alberta is controlled by Red Deer Bottling.

http://www.reddeerbottling.com/

I wish they would update their site, though...

CCE may sell to a small local distributor in some areas. They've done it before.

There aren't really a lot of towns that far north, anyway. Thompson would be the biggest in northern Manitoba.

ramonazo
06-28-2005, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
Alberta is controlled by Red Deer Bottling.

http://www.reddeerbottling.com/

I wish they would update their site, though...

You're right!, In the Promotions section there's still the ad of a promotion called "real in 2004", and in the Products section they show products that are no longer available like Mad River.

SPLASTiK
06-29-2005, 11:28 PM
Yeah, the coke is slightly different up here. Maybe due to not using Corn Syrup?
Where in BC did you go? I'm from vancouver.

I like Crush Lime tongue.gif

Some things to try on your next visit:

7up. Tastes different and I think better than the US version.

Go to Super-Valu or Canadian Superstore and pick up some President's Choice Green Apple Soda. I think it's better than Jones Soda's. They also have a Lime Cola (and have for a few years) which is ok.

If you went to Van...
The Super-Valu on 1st and Commercial sells Boylan's line of cane sugar sodas if you can't find them where you're at.

Also on Commercial Drive a block away there's a meat smoking place which imports drinks from Europe and sells European Fanta. I can't remember which flavours, yellow and blue colored...

Also look out in convience stores for local "Brand X" soda. It's kind of weird tasting but if you're into weird drinks...

jmyjunk
06-30-2005, 02:16 PM
I spent half my trip in Vancouver, the other half in Whislter.
I ment to try 7up. I noticed that the graphics are way different than here in the States. Thanks for the tips. My company's head office is in Van. so I'll be going up often.
I did try the Mountain Dew Energy drink as well. Though I did not notice any noticable effects.

PSOmasterX77
06-30-2005, 04:53 PM
The Mountain Dew Energy is basically just the same as our mountain dew with a little guarana in there so that caffiene could be added.

juniorjin
07-06-2005, 12:17 AM
I totally agree with you on the fact that the American Coke With Lime tastes 100 times better than the Canadian one. The CDN version tastes to gassy and doesn't have the kick of lime that the American version does.
The 7-up splash is still available in 2L so you should try some the next time you're up. Only while the syrup lasts.
mountain dew citrus smooth is being discontinued for the md energy.

by the time you're up again we should also have 'crush green apple' to try.

SPLASTiK
07-09-2005, 02:09 AM
Crush Green Apple??? When is this coming out?

Oh yeah, try 7up Citrus Splash as well. It's pretty good, too bad it's being discontinued.

SPLASTiK
07-09-2005, 05:44 PM
Oh yeah, that meat shop I was telling you about, they have Fanta imported from Yugoslavia: Lemon, Orange, "Exotic" and some blue flavour with a foreign name.