PDA

View Full Version : What is the Big Idea?

jblaviback
06-24-2005, 04:03 PM
I don't understand why people are so desperate to try Vault? They drive out to different states or they buy some off ebay just to try it. The reason I say this is because isn't it almost for sure going to be mass produced and available everywhere eventually in the next year?
Just a thought I had to get out there.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Why do people flood to the theatres at midnight on the first day of a movie?

Much like film buffs, we're beverage freaks, and we live for seeing that one new beverage on the shelves that we haven't tried yet.

I'm definitely looking for Vault, since my state is supposedly one of the trial states, but I definitely won't pay high prices for it off eBay.

I don't think there's word that it's DEFINITELY gonna be mass-produced, so I think that's why people are trying to get it while they can.

Although Surge had lukewarm sales during its run, a massive community of Surge fans emerged out of nowhere once it was discontinued. And from what I hear on savesurge.org, Vault is effectively Surge reincarnated. And while I wasn't a huge Surge fan, that very much excites me.

So just like anything, people can be irrationally passionate about something, which can result in desperate measures, like roadtrips or shelled-out cash for the stuff. ;)

Mr Zabe
06-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Us soda pop addicts are like hopeless romantics.
Hopeless romantics live to love. Us soda pop addicts live to drink more and more satisfying soda pops. The quest is half the fun.

mjb1124
06-24-2005, 04:53 PM
I do think that driving to different states is a bit extreme, but hey, more power to them.

I'm actually seriously considering ordering some Vault - it sounds great, and I'm always one who likes to try new sodas ASAP.

jblaviback
06-24-2005, 05:21 PM
I see your point with liking to try new sodas because I do as well. I guess I just wouldn't drive 400 miles to get the new pop but for some people like Zabe said the Journey is half the fun of it.

karks88
06-24-2005, 06:04 PM
I know it sounds nuts, but we over at SaveSURGE.org have been waiting for the moment when we would get to taste our favorite soda again. Some of us having been waiting a few years! So when Vault came out, we had to find out if it was the real deal. And I'm thrilled that the taste is right on with SURGE smile.gif

Look In The Tunk
06-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Well, most people just make an entire road trip out of it to find the soda. I have a friend who goes to dead malls and former Howard Johnsons restaurants on his way to get the soda.

I'm insanely jealous of him....

ithastabeshasta
06-24-2005, 07:15 PM
I purchased a 12 pack of Vault off of ebay recently and paid a whopping $11 including shipping. I don't think paying under $1 a can is overpaying, but I must admit I was quite disappointed in the taste of it, sort of watered down surge I was told by a coca cola representative that it was suppose to taste closer to Mountain Dew. But I was not a huge Surge fan to begin with. It is not uncommon for me to plan our families vacation around soda bottling companies (mostly ones that still produce returnable bottles) and we have driven all over this country stopping in a lot of grocery stores to pick up soda, nothing is better than seeing the checkout persons face when you pull up to the cash register with a cart full of soda.

Hacksaw
06-24-2005, 07:24 PM
Yes, it's like a new movie or a new book for some of us. I paid $3.90 for a six pack of Fanta Pineapple when it came out for the first time.

And I felt it was worth every penny!

Yes, there have been some other sodas that were NOT worth it, though. :eek:

wonkapete
06-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Yep, I'm with you Shasta! Recently, on one of my trips, I stopped at the checkout with nothing but soda. $68.56 worth. The checkout person was perplexed. The people behind me were asking if it was on sale.. people just don't understand. I always buy ANYTHING that I can't get at home.. no matter how much there is. It's fun... not to mention I can point out a can in my collection, tell ya where I got it.. on what vacation. It's kinda like a sovenior of the trip...

The Truth
06-27-2005, 05:22 PM
Great can collection WP.

I tried Vault this weekend, heavy like Surge.

Not to bad with food. I liked the lighter taste of dNL better.

jmyjunk
06-27-2005, 09:06 PM
It's a hobby, a passion.
I went to Iceland only because there was a hard Rock Cafe there, and I wanted a shirt a pin. But I got a full experince out of the trip.

I have traveled hundreds of mile to have a Jack in the Box taco. On a whim, I drove 2 hours to Cheyanne WY for Hardees (only did it once though ;)

I most certainly understand people's excitement when a new soda comes out and they want to try it, right then and there.

I am always willing to pack up the car and head out of town for something as little as a sugared/flavored water.

ithastabeshasta
06-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by jmyjunk:

I have traveled hundreds of mile to have a Jack in the Box taco. On a whim, I drove 2 hours to Cheyanne WY for Hardees (only did it once though ;)

One of the big reasons I fly to vegas every year is to go to Fat Burger and In n Out burger.

Mr Zabe
06-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Gee, I do not feel so weird.
I used to drive just about an hour for a bag of White Castle Hamburgers. I have driven to the south side of Chicago(very rough part) for Harold's Chicken. I have taken two hour road trips from UofI Champaign,IL to the North Shore of Chicago for some of Puchies Hot Dogs (original ownership some 22 years ago).

My point is that if I have a major craving, it's only a matter of money and time to make it happen. I so can relate to you guys.

Robot
06-28-2005, 12:40 AM
mr zabe

dont forget to hit "johnnies beef" out on north ave in melrose park or whatever town that is, just west of chicago

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Fanta Pineapple?

No comment.

jmyjunk
06-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Gee, I do not feel so weird.
I used to drive just about an hour for a bag of White Castle Hamburgers. I have driven to the south side of Chicago(very rough part) for Harold's Chicken. I have taken two hour road trips from UofI Champaign,IL to the North Shore of Chicago for some of Puchies Hot Dogs (original ownership some 22 years ago).

My point is that if I have a major craving, it's only a matter of money and time to make it happen. I so can relate to you guys. gosh, growing up in St Louis, we didn't need to drive out of town for anything. St louis had, and still has, White Castle, Jack in the Box, Steak n'Shake, Del Taco, Hardees etc. If you like thin crust pizza, Imo's pizzaria was the place. And of course toasted ravoli. And you could wash it all down with our local soda...Vess.
But alas, here in Colorado, we don't have many of the smaller chains.

[ 06-28-2005, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: jmyjunk ]

Hollow Man
06-29-2005, 04:12 PM
Went to school at Wash U. Hands down Dr. Schnee is the best name for a pop. EVAR.

Imo's pizza is the most bizarre food ever created.

-HM

jmyjunk
06-30-2005, 06:04 PM
I am probably one of the only St Louis natives who hates Imo's pizza. Half the reason pizza is so good is the crust and Imo's reminds me of eating cardboard.

Whistle Orange and Pina Colada flavor were my favorite Vess flavors.

[ 06-30-2005, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: jmyjunk ]

bigrich
06-30-2005, 11:36 PM
Safeway Supermarkets in Indianapolis sells Vess in many flavors as their store brand. Most of their flavors are pretty tasty.

[ 06-30-2005, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

USF SPAMMER 1
07-04-2005, 11:34 PM
I would drive 200 miles for a piece of sweet tail or a kind word for a stranger, but I think going on a long road trip for a soda is a little...Star Trek conventiony for moi.

USF SPAMMER 3
07-06-2005, 01:15 AM
I hate Vault for trying to replace Surge.