PDA

View Full Version : Steap or Switch, opinions requested

New Guy
08-12-2003, 07:54 AM
I am requesting anybody's opinion on these two beverages. Which has legs?

drpep
08-12-2003, 12:15 PM
Never had Steap, the idea of tea does not thrill me. Had the Switch. Did not care too much for it. It WAS NOT a bad product, I just did not like the strong flavor.

fusion
08-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Steap makes a good root beer, but the key lime didn't taste that well. The flavor really clashes with the green tea flavor. I haven't had any of the other flavors.

It is clearly labeled organic, micro-brewed, and no preservatives.

The Switch flavors I've had were all pretty good, except the lemonade. Didn't like it.

They are two totally different products, I really couldn't make a comparison between the two.

They are both very unique ideas, in their own right, in my opinion. Why not sell both?

Boris
08-12-2003, 08:02 PM
The Switch is good, Except for the lemonade. I love the cranberry ginger... The trick is to drink half a gallon of water then drink one cranberry ginger, You will piss in less then 10 minutes and you will piss for more then a minute.

But I havn't had steap. But I have used a cola flavour to extinguish the after taste of plain carbonated sweet tea. It works nicely in a good mix.

[ 08-27-2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Boris
08-13-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by dr pepperman:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Boris:
The Switch is good, Except for the lemonade. I love the cranberry ginger... The trick is to drink half a gallon of water then drink one cranberry ginger, You will piss in less then 10 minutes and you will piss for more then a minute.

What does the cranberry ginger have to do with it? Seems like a 1/2 gallon of anything would cause that.</font>[/QUOTE]You don't know that doctors prescribe you to drink lots of cranberry juice when you have a bladder infection. It speeds up your system, Thus cleaning the kidneys and bladder. But also making you have to piss, Bad.

Boris
08-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by dr pepperman:
Yea I know what cranberry juice does for the bladder and kidney but if you drink a 1/2 gallon of anything you gonna whiz long and hard.Well I have done personal studies (I know its sick and freaky) That have determined, I can hold half a gallon of liquid for more then 5 hours, Averaged out 6 hours, is how long it takes after drinking a half a gallon of liquid. I drink any amount of liquid and/or just the cranberry ginger and I have to go withen 10 minutes.

KanKing
08-15-2003, 06:48 PM
AAAHhhhhh, This thread has become very interesting! With all this wonderful talk of urinating and so forth I just had to add my 2 cents! I happen to like all of the Switch flavors but I think they over do it with the grape juice sweetener. The lemonade I like very much. BUT, it has a strong grape taste to it. As for running tests on my self to see how much I can drink, and hold it all in without making water, well, I can honestly say I had NEVER considered trying THAT before!

Boris
08-15-2003, 08:17 PM
KanKing, You crack me up...I still don't know why. But hey, What do you expect from a 17 year old in the middle of summer? I did do some other "tests". One of my hypothosis's was called "Drink a Forty, Piss a Forty" Which ended in failure.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/151257/IM000962.JPG
12oz of water/H20

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/151257/IM000965.JPG
6oz returned.

Boris
08-15-2003, 08:19 PM
And this is also interesting, I took a entire bottle of red food colouring and mixed it with 12 oz water and drank it.

Result
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/151257/IM000968.JPG

Edit: And if you care to know, This is what 1 bottle of Russian Beer returned.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/318197/IM000967.JPG

[ 08-15-2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

the saint
08-15-2003, 11:43 PM
hey guy you seriously have way too much time on your hands..or maybe way too much time with your hand on your..well never mind

Boris
08-27-2003, 09:16 PM
I just got back from north eastern philly, Where I was born, To find out that is where Steap is made...I find it rather weird that I was born and lived in the town The Steap is located (New Town(Near Bristol)) and I now I live 5 miles away from The Switch. But I tried Steap Cola and Root Beer, My god, It is so bad. Tastes like they add kava to the cola which makes it horrible....

sodasommelier
08-30-2003, 01:47 PM
I think the actual drinks (STEAP and THE SWITCH) are drinkable; not excellent and not bad. The problem is that they're priced outrageously and they are sweet but sold as 'healthy' when they're really not healthy any more than alot of other things which taste better and are cheaper.

I think both of these companies are the same style; Northeast guerilla marketers on some mixture of stimulants trying to convince everyone to buy as much as possible before they have the time to think about what they're doing; then go around and rake in tons of investors' money and shave off as much as possible before the companies fold. I cannot say that either of these is taking this path but they both look like they are, from my perspective smile.gif And what do I know, being here on the West Coast...

newage
09-05-2003, 12:59 AM
And so what is your "skilled" list of natural beverages?...based on the ingredient listing of both brands, they seem quite natural to me...organic cane juice and/or natural fruit juice is as natural as you can get...so, please don't even try to talk about natural when nothing in your warehouse is as natural as either of these brands. And if I am not mistaken, the Steap brand even has the USDA Organic seal on it..though I don't think the Switch bottle has one...so, if that is your position, drink up on all that HFCS, aspartame and ace-k sweetened drinks and let your body do the talking years from now.

Boris
09-05-2003, 06:08 AM
^^ I think one of three things.

1: He works at The Steap
2: He is fat and pissed off
3: He is a moronic arsewhore with no sense of taste.

Guess what one I think... ;)

Also, I dont drink asparatame or ace-k only pure cane and on occasion, HFCS.

Edit: Spelling of cane sugar was incorrect.

[ 09-05-2003, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: Boris ]

BottleBoss
09-05-2003, 05:24 PM
It is true that The Switch drinks are expensive. We pay twice as much for a case of The Switch as we do for a case of Boylans. We buy by the case from a place in D.C. But, You can't expect every one to sell to you at a low price so you can make more when you turn it around and try to sell it at a high price. They need to make good money to. I don't sell sodas but I do know a little about mark up because I resell auto parts to customers whos cars we are working on here at the Auto Shop. And no, I don't buy into all that natural crap those companies spout. It's SODA, it's not good for you! But we drink it because we love it! Consequently, Tea is really bad for you. But people drink it because they love it.

Boris
09-08-2003, 09:15 PM
I was just going through some old files and I decided to look up the switch's trademark, To see if it expired so I could buy it then sue them for millions. But it was still paid for, (damn) But I found this.

Owner (APPLICANT) Switch Beverage Company FORMERLY Knew Jewce Beverages, Inc. CORPORATION VIRGINIA 13434 Carters Creek Court Chesterfield VIRGINIA 23838

They used to be known as knew jewce....

wsipp
09-23-2003, 09:35 AM
Straight up, I work for The Switch. I am always surprised when we get compared to Steap like we do. The Switch is 100% juice that is 100% carbonated. Steap is a Green Tea Soda. The Switch is sweetened with fruit juice, Steap is sweetened with cane sugar. The only thing that is really similar is that we use a similar if not identical bottle and both use a clear pressure sensitive label.

As for the east coast guerrilla marketing style, listed below, thanks! That is essentially what beverage companies do when they can't afford to advertise like beverage companies owned by Coke, Pepsi, and Cadbury.

Also, I can't speak for the guys at Steap, but i can speak for The Switch. We are in no rush to sell the company. We simply want to have enough money to sell, market, and distribute our products to distributors, retailers, and consumers. It is a very expensive proposition today.

I hope you like The Switch (I hope you like Steap too--those guys work hard). We have 10 flavors and hopefully you will find a few that you like. Look for three new flavors in March.

Tsoda
09-25-2003, 12:16 PM
Well said Wsipp....the Switch product is a good one. We at Steap Green Tea Soda are proud to be good industry friends with the Switch team and actually work hard at supporting their mission as they do ours. In the end, there is plenty of room for all of us to co-exist and achieve our goal, that being to provide this world with healthy CSD alternatives one bottle at a time.

No need to "switch", just drink both and get "steap'd" with healthier choices ;) .

fusion
01-20-2004, 08:35 PM
I came across something I hadn't seen before today -- Izze sparkling juices. I found them at Harry and David. They have four flavors: pear, lemon, blackberry, and grapefruit. I bought a cold pear and tried it.. It's really good. I also bought a lemon to chill and try later.

Izze Beverage Company (http://www.izzeco.com). The major investors are beer guys (one of the Stroh family), a capital investment guy, and some from Nantucket Nectars and Celestial Seasonings.

boodoo
01-21-2004, 08:48 AM
IZZE has been in the DFW area for several months now. I have seen it in 7-11 and Whole Foods (what a pair!) and we distribute it to Albertson's. Movement is very slow.