PDA

View Full Version : something old, something new

fusion
08-14-2003, 10:43 PM
Coke continues to push new products into the marketplace, often without any type of marketing or promotional backing.

A few new things on the horizon:

Swerve -- milk based drinks. First in schools, maybe later in other markets.

Limeade -- already sold in 64oz chilled containers, soon to be produced in 20oz (and maybe other packages).

24oz Powerade -- previously produced in 4 packs, they've decided to dust this one off and sell it in 6 packs, after the recent success of both 24oz CSDs and the various multipacks of Powerade (12oz, 20oz). This will be a very limited time thing, like the recent Matrix and Nitro packages.

Fruitopia's all but gone, but the new Minute Maide flavors (rehashes of old Fruitopia flavors) have received even less attention than Fruitopia did.

Dasani will be converting to Fridge Packs in many markets. CCE Mid-Atlantic should see them very soon. Consolidated led the way on this one.

That's about all I know at the moment.

sundrop
08-15-2003, 12:24 PM
Will CCE start producing pet fridgepacks? I have heard more than one person at CCBCC say that this new package might replace half liters sometime down the road. I believe if this happens CCBCC will also start producing 24oz csd 6 packs.

fusion
08-15-2003, 11:29 PM
I'm not really sure, to be honest. I think it's a wait and see type of thing.. If CCBCC does well with them, I could see some CCE divisions making the switch. .5L would definately become expendable, because you sure don't need 3 PET bottle multipack offerings.

I think the 12 pack PET combines the best of two worlds, the Fridge Pack, and the PET bottle. I know I'd buy them if they were available around here.

teamtitan512
08-16-2003, 04:57 AM
I think CCBCC once again has found another big marketing trick to sell more product in the PET FP. I think if they're priced similar to regular FP's that people will choose PET over aluminum in a lot of cases, I would for the most part. I've never seen how this product sells, there's no sign of them yet in CCBCC's WV division. The FP of cans might be dead if this goes well, and I think it just might. 1/2 liters will be a thing of the past, that's for sure. Fusion, are all bottlers going to be shifting to 24 oz.? That size makes much more sense than the 1/2 liters to me, and Central here has plenty of 1/2 liters.

fusion
08-16-2003, 12:39 PM
I think the jury's still out in regards to 24oz. I've only seen them produced by CCE Mid-Atlantic (Richmond VA) and CCE Tennessee-Alabama (Cleveland TN), but I have seen distribution as far north as Pittsburgh (but only in Sam's Club).

Food Lion has them at $2.50 for the whole summer, maybe the whole year. With .5L at the same prices, it makes sense to buy 24oz.

steveu
08-16-2003, 04:20 PM
I continue to wish they'd go totally national with MY Afterglow.

teamtitan512
08-18-2003, 01:57 AM
I think pushing out Mello Yello nationally (bringing it to Philly and NYC, and some other cities it's not sold, I don't think there's any in Detroit or CA either), and bringing the flavors (Cherry, Melon, Afterglo) along w/Diet nationally. I think it's the logical way to expand the brand, and would give a great alternative to Mountain Dew for customers.

Also, Melon, being completely original compared to anything MD has I think would make it a splash success, because people would try it out of curiousity because they've never seen anything like it before, and then buy it again because they like it (I've seen here most everyone likes it, I've never seen it however to try it, it does sound interesting).

RunWithDaLilGuy
08-18-2003, 09:36 AM
detroit has standard MY.

also has 24oz 6packs PET, for those who thirst big, you know. what a joke. i'm with SS on this, bring back some glass NOW.

karks88
08-18-2003, 12:23 PM
Looks like Mello Yello (in cans) is dead in Central PA, at least in Carlisle. Everbody's converted to Fridge Packs and the only store that had MY, the Carlisle Wal Mart - had none in sight with no empty space on the shelves. Wal Mart continues to carry Fanta orange and grape in the new packaging.

I haven't checked Sheetz to see if 20oz. is still around.

[ 08-18-2003, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: karks88 ]

XLS_03
08-18-2003, 01:00 PM
So they have the 24oz. 6 packs in Detroit too? Regular Mello Yello is available in alot more places then the other Mello Yello flavors.

RunWithDaLilGuy
08-18-2003, 02:06 PM
in coke, diet coke, diet caffeine free coke, sprite and dasani. it's stupid. i hate them.

i do like how pepsi wraps theirs in shrink wrap, it's better than rings and allows for a product to be faced easily.

fusion
08-18-2003, 05:54 PM
We may see a Diet Coke w/ Lime, according to Beverage Digest.. along with Fruitworks being discontinued, and replaced by a Tropicana line (like Coke did with Fruitopia/Minute Maid).

Android
08-18-2003, 06:07 PM
I've never seen Pepsi 24's in plastic shrink wrap before. I wish they would, I don't care for the plastic rings either. The only Pepsi products I've yet seen packaged that way are the 12packs of 1/2 liter "FunRunner" bottles.

andy

fusion
08-18-2003, 09:18 PM
The rings (we call them belly bands) encourage the not so bright members of our society to take it upon themselves to rip a bottle off of a 6 pack.

But why? if the UPC is on the bottle, it's gonna cost you as much as a 6pk. Might as well go to the cooler and get a cold one for a lot less.

Same goes with the baskets they use for 8oz glass Coke.. They used to use these for .5L as well, glad they stopped that practice.

Speaking of .5L, it's interesting to see that ABC uses the wrap-around cardboard for their 6packs.. while Davis (eastern PA 3rd tier) uses the same plastic cones that you see on the 10oz glass 6pks. CCE around here either uses the side handled belly banded packages, or the top-handled belly bands (Rochester produces those.. I think they look a lot better).

Shatter
08-19-2003, 12:40 AM
Around here, Coke stopped using the basket-type containers for their 16.9 oz. 6 packs and switched to wrap around cardboard, because of the reasons you just mentioned, and also people taking bottles out and swapping them for cold 20 oz. bottles at the registers. Or mixing and matching flavors. Pepsi still uses those belly bands here. People usually pull one out of the 6-packs, drink half the bottle, and dump it somewhere. We have problems with that in my store. People just love stealing soda.

teamtitan512
08-19-2003, 02:31 PM
Pepsi bands 24 oz. differently here than they do in Central PA. Our rings go around the middle of the bottler and are thin flexible plastic. In Central PA, they are of a more rigid plastic, and around the top, just below the cap.

American Bottling, who does most 1/2 liters for RC Winchester, wraps them in cardboard.

Why is it most bottlers of product don't produce 1/2 liters? Other than the different size bottles, why are they so limited in production by companies? Only Coke bottlers that produce them are CCE and Consolidated, and they do them all for Central and Philly Coke too, it just doesn't make sense to me.

RC Winchester doesn't do them, American Bottling up here does them, in other areas, Davis does them. They do 24 oz. Mountain Dew and Dr Pepper, so I don't see why odd sized bottles would be weird for them to do in 6 packs.

I saw a billboard for the new 24 oz. Coke bottles near York along I-83, so is Central switching to the 24 oz. bottles?

Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite - Consolidated, code RE (Roanoke), and I've heard Consolidated is switching.

MM Lemonade, Seagram's, Dasani - CCE, code RM (Richmond) and since CCE has switched, it wouldn't surprise me to see the switch.

fusion
08-20-2003, 09:40 PM
The rigid plastic you're referring to is usually called a hi-cone, or just a cone. You mostly see them on 10oz glass, but Davis uses them on .5L as well. Some Pepsi bottling facilities use them for their 24oz, too (though those are a larger cone). Cones are also good for repairing 6 packs when a band gets too stretched to hold in the bottles.

Philadelphia Coke did bottle their own .5L at one time, but I figure it was too much to run those, plus 20oz, plus 2L, plus 10oz, plus the Dasani bottling. So now they buy their .5L from CCE-NE's Hartford CT bottling plant (who also produces a lot of stuff for CCE-NY, since they used to be part of the old Coke New York company before the buyout).

I think the reason that many bottlers don't run their own .5L is because it would require purchasing extra equipment. I've never been on a tour of a bottling plant, but I assume you'd need a banding machine and a packing machine that could put the 6 packs into a crate or box (when Philly made their own .5L, they used boxes.. Davis uses boxes as well). Plus, you'd need a palletizer that could stack these cases.

Initially, the package didn't have a lot of demand. It's now a staple package, but the demand is still much lower than 12pks or 2L. I guess for a lot of the little guys, it's cheaper to just buy from other bottlers.

I'm not sure if Central is doing the 24oz. I haven't been to York in quite a while. Guess it's time for a road trip.

fusion
08-21-2003, 08:57 PM
Ok, something else new to report. I have no idea on where they are going to be selling this new package, and if they are going to keep it as a 6pk, or break them up.

I was in the warehouse today, and we have these new Minute Maid Smooth flavors (I think I mentioned them before). They're in the same type bottle as the 12oz PowerAde 6pk (I've also seen MM Orange and Apple juice in the same package).

There's Smooth Orange, Smooth Strawberry, and Smooth Cherry. They look pretty interesting.. You definately can't see through them, they are pretty thick looking concoctions.

I know Pepsi hasn't done too hot with Dole Smoothies, I wonder if Coke/MM will do any better.

the saint
08-22-2003, 10:29 AM
what??? coke doing something that Pepsi tried before them?? how can this be? According to most everyone on here coke does everything first and Pepsi just imitates them. pretty much no one remembers the fact that coke wasnt the first cola drink..just the one who became the biggest. also before a reply of this Yes I am quite well aware of the fact that coke was in business well before Pepsi.

Android
08-23-2003, 08:37 AM
I've seen the 24 ounce Coke products in (I think it was) Keokuk, Iowa earlier this summer. Then last night I saw that Walmart up in Casper,WY had a few flavors in the 24ounce 6packs as well. I bought one of Sprite. These had some writing on them I'd not seen before.... "It's BIG! For those who thirst for more." The co-op that bottled it was one I'd not noticed before. Chesterman Company, Sioux City Iowa. Here's a scan of the bottle http://members.trainorders.com/android/misc/Sprite24.jpg

RunWithDaLilGuy
08-23-2003, 10:24 AM
in lansing, coke has pulled minute maid orange and grape medley. they will have mello yello fridge packs however, as there are no plans to scrap it.

fusion
08-23-2003, 02:28 PM
Yeah, they just added the words at the top of the bottle within the last month. I guess people were thinking they were 20oz 6 packs or something.. They fit in the same shells, but the bottles are taller.

Terry K
08-23-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Android:
I've seen the 24 ounce Coke products in (I think it was) Keokuk, Iowa earlier this summer. Then last night I saw that Walmart up in Casper,WY had a few flavors in the 24ounce 6packs as well. I bought one of Sprite. These had some writing on them I'd not seen before.... "It's BIG! For those who thirst for more." The co-op that bottled it was one I'd not noticed before. Chesterman Company, Sioux City Iowa. Chesterman is a large indie (not a co-op) that runs out of Sioux City, and they're one of the few who has Diet Pibb. Chesterman also brings you Chippewa water, IIRC.

teamtitan512
08-24-2003, 05:19 PM
Saw billboards for the 24 oz. Coke bottles all over Central's Southern PA territory, but didn't see the bottles anywhere, at Wal-Mart, Kmart, Target, Giant, Weis or Redner's.

fusion
08-25-2003, 06:39 PM
Here's the new smoothies:

http://members.aol.com/dialasong/smooth.jpg

SURGE
09-08-2003, 01:14 PM
I keep hearing rumor of PowerADE cans. Looks like a brand Coke really has a chance to run with if you ask me. As for MY its on the path to insignificance. Still if they were to roll out the new flavors everywhere they would have a chance to score osme against Pepsi especailly with Mellon and Afterglow as was pointed out earlier in this thread.

fusion
09-08-2003, 11:20 PM
Powerade was produced in cans when I first started with the company back in 1997. I'm pretty sure they were only 11.5 ounce cans.

Also, Raize and Psych are produced in brushed aluminum cans with screw tops.

XLS_03
09-09-2003, 01:14 AM
Are you sure PowerAde came out then? Because I remember it debuting around 1990 or so and it was in cans, at the time Gatorade was too. Not sure if it still is though.

fusion
09-09-2003, 12:00 PM
No, no.. I mean that when I first started with the company, it was already made in cans. I don't know before that, I honestly didn't pay a lot of attention to soda.

The big thing I do remember is when I was in college in western Maryland (around teamtitan's area) and driving over to CCBCC territory in WV and getting the "new" 20oz PET bottles.. we had 16oz glass in the area I went to school in.

I think that Powerade/Gatorade work better in a bottle, so it can be resealed, for people on the go.

SURGE
09-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Hey Fusion got any pix of these new flavors I can't seem to find any online!

fusion
09-11-2003, 04:31 PM
Sure do...

http://store4.yimg.com/I/drsoda_1746_614637

http://store4.yimg.com/I/drsoda_1746_623689

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-13-2003, 09:07 PM
pibb xtra's getting cut in the lansing, michigan (mid michigan) market.

interestingly enough, so is minute maid orange fruit soda.

fusion
09-13-2003, 09:31 PM
Latest news is that Coke/CCE are looking into the 1.5 Liter, which is a package you can find in European markets. They are also going to be selling the 13.2oz bottle (I have a picture if anyone's interested) sometime in the next year.

Lastly (as reported in Beverage Digest), Coke is going to introduce Diet Coke with Lime next year.

8oz cans are making somewhat of a comeback (another Halloween promotion is scheduled for this year), and perhaps the 8.4oz thimble can will be elevated from the rare status it's had so far in this country.

bigrich
09-13-2003, 09:48 PM
CCE just switched to fridge-packs here, Indy (HO). They did not drop a single flavor, and I am really glad to still see Pibb Xtra and Fresca. I'll have to check south of Indy and see if they are still canning the Mello flavors.

Terry K
09-14-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by bigrich:
CCE just switched to fridge-packs here, Indy (HO). They did not drop a single flavor, and I am really glad to still see Pibb Xtra and Fresca. I'll have to check south of Indy and see if they are still canning the Mello flavors.HO *ran* MY Melon and Cherry. I have a 12 pk of it (pre-FP) that came from 'em of Melon.

Now for So. Cal to switch...

Terry K
09-14-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
Latest news is that Coke/CCE are looking into the 1.5 Liter, which is a package you can find in European markets. They are also going to be selling the 13.2oz bottle (I have a picture if anyone's interested) sometime in the next year.

Lastly (as reported in Beverage Digest), Coke is going to introduce Diet Coke with Lime next year.

8oz cans are making somewhat of a comeback (another Halloween promotion is scheduled for this year), and perhaps the 8.4oz thimble can will be elevated from the rare status it's had so far in this country.1.5 liter Dasani is already being sold in California, as are the elusive 8.4 ounce cans (which retail for 99 cents at Ralphs)

XLS_03
09-14-2003, 03:16 AM
did you hear anything about the 24oz. 6 packs?

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-14-2003, 12:00 PM

8oz cans are making somewhat of a comeback (another Halloween promotion is scheduled for this year), and perhaps the 8.4oz thimble can will be elevated from the rare status it's had so far in this country.there's been rumors of the 1.5 Liter for years due to the rising costs of the 2 Liter bottle. in michigan, coke charges 11.08 before discounts for a case of 8. what a rip.

sundrop
09-14-2003, 02:13 PM
I have not heard the 1.5ltr mentioned at CCBCC. The 13.2oz PET seem to be doing good in C-stores. I hear we may see futher flavor expansion with them in the near future.

CCBCC is also selling 6pk 8oz cans for Halloween. We will have some different flavors this year. Coke, Vanilla Coke, Sprite Remix, MM Lemonade and MM Pink Lemonade.(Sundrop and Dr Pepper in select markets.) Speaking of 8oz cans I noticed that the Fanta Flavors are in our ordering computers now. I am not sure what CCBCC has planned for them.

DietCokeEnthusiast
09-14-2003, 03:35 PM
Sure do...

http://store4.yimg.com/I/drsoda_1746_614637

http://store4.yimg.com/I/drsoda_1746_623689NOT THAT RAIZE CRAP! That stuff tastes like gerbil food (yes I have eaten that stuff...don't ask, long story)!

teamtitan512
09-14-2003, 08:30 PM
I've seen Vanilla Coke, Sprite, MM Lemonade, MM Pink Lemonade 8 oz. cans here. They are being produced at CV (Cleveland, TN CCE) and only appearing at Target stores within CCE territories.

ABC in attack, has launched 7Up, dnL, A&W, Sunkist 8 oz. 6 packs for the same price in the Pittsburgh area. Weird there is no Canada Dry.

fusion
09-15-2003, 01:39 AM
The Target/8oz thing is probably nationwide.. or at least something that CCE is really pushing, because I know we put them in our Targets as well (we have two in our territory). Supposedly something with Wal-Mart is coming down the pike soon.

As for 1.5L Dasani, we had that for a few years, but most of the stores around this area are phasing out the 1.5L bottle, in private label as well as the branded waters. Washington PA production (II) stopped making Dasani 1.5L in early 2002, and we got rid of the last of it just in time. I remember when we first rolled out Dasani in the NY Division, and the 1.5L bombed big time, and they stopped carrying it pretty quickly. I think that Coke is trending towards smaller bottles and multipacks with Dasani.. hence the 12 pack 16.9oz, the 12oz PET fridge pack, 16.9oz 6 pack, 12oz 6 pack, and so on. We even have a 24 pack 12oz PET package, which is mostly used for full service (vending), but it is also sold at the Commissary in the military base in our territory.

No new news on what CCE has planned for the 24oz 6 pack. Though they seem to be gaining in acceptance, we are selling through a lot more pallets than we previously did (had some date code issues with them early on).

Lastly, I did see ABC 8oz cans all over the place when I was in Ohio. though they were just single cans, A&W/7UP/dnL/Diet Rite/etc.

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-15-2003, 08:49 PM
the single can thing is here in michigan with abc 8oz.

they are keeping 24oz 6packs here, which sucks, because they suck and i hate cce for making them.

8oz 6pk glass price went up a ton. i think you'll see that package phased out in a few years. it costs almost 18 a case in michigan

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-15-2003, 08:51 PM
the single can thing is here in michigan with abc 8oz.

they are keeping 24oz 6packs here, which sucks, because they suck and i hate cce for making them.

8oz 6pk glass price went up a ton. i think you'll see that package phased out in a few years. it costs almost 18 a case in michigan

bigrich
09-16-2003, 10:50 AM
I went to Kokomo IN last weekend, and talked with a Coke route guy. He told me that they are being pushed to push their own products. They are a tiny small independant that makes 2L, 20OZ & Multi Paks, and 8OZ glass. 20OZ six packs are just $2.50 and singles just 50 cents. The 8OZ glass are just $2.99 and come in four flavors. They have complete endcaps of glass in Wal-Mart and Kroger. He said they are thinking about producing a larger glass multi-pak and adding more flavors in the future. They have been told to push these instead of cans from MAC.

teamtitan512
09-16-2003, 06:35 PM
What 4 are being done right now? I figure Coke, Diet Coke, and Sprite but what else?

Good to see a little indie bottler doing a good job at pumping their own product, and doing it the old fashioned way w/glass nonetheless.

I wonder if something will happen similar to Central Coke, since Central does none of their own cans, and they're all shipped from MAC.

fusion
09-16-2003, 08:31 PM
I'm guessing that Central is MAC's biggest customer, so they probably pay less for their cans than the smaller indies, like Kokomo and Northern Neck.

When Central is finally sold, I wouldn't be suprised if it's the final nail in MAC's coffin.. The Herbco sale pretty much killed MAC Zanesville.

I've seen Barq's and Dr Pepper (not Dublin) in 8oz from Coke bottlers, in addition to Coke/Sprite/Diet.

Cost of transporting FPs from Hamburg to Kokomo has most likely increased due to gas prices, etc.. but soda prices haven't increased enough to cover those increases.. so the indies have to make decisions that will keep their profits coming in.

bigrich
09-16-2003, 10:52 PM
Their other flavor is Barq's Rootbeer.

Terry K
09-17-2003, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by bigrich:
I went to Kokomo IN last weekend, and talked with a Coke route guy. He told me that they are being pushed to push their own products. They are a tiny small independant that makes 2L, 20OZ & Multi Paks, and 8OZ glass. 20OZ six packs are just $2.50 and singles just 50 cents. The 8OZ glass are just $2.99 and come in four flavors. They have complete endcaps of glass in Wal-Mart and Kroger. He said they are thinking about producing a larger glass multi-pak and adding more flavors in the future. They have been told to push these instead of cans from MAC.These guys would be a perfect canidate for the new 12 oz PET FP that Consolidated uses. All they'd need is packaging stuff (since the production lines likely can handle it)

Then they could tell MAC where to shove it.

teamtitan512
09-17-2003, 09:02 PM
Exactly. Either that, or sell out to CCE or something. The day of the independent bottler is gone, it's just not profitable anymore.

MAC Zanesville closed because of Herbco, and Central is the only legitimate bottler left buying anything from MAC. MAC is gone when Central's possession goes to Consolidated or CCE (Hoping for Consolidated.... smile.gif )

sundrop
09-29-2003, 03:43 PM
A picture of the PET FP from CCBCC

www.ajc.com/business/content/business/coke/ (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/coke/)

fusion
09-29-2003, 06:51 PM
For those too lazy to click the link...

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/08/93/89/image_189938.jpg