PDA

View Full Version : Frutopia, RIP

SamC
08-18-2003, 10:19 PM
Coke HQ picked a quiet summer weekend to announce that it is dumping the Frutopia line.

IMHO, the failure can be written off to three factors:

- Bad marketing. Snapple was associated with Rush Limbaugh. So, KO, one of the largest corporations in the world, picks this 60s-hippie theme. Right, lots of people make beverage choices based on politics.

- no support. The classic KO theme is to copy a flavor and let the KO marketing machine take it from there. KO copied Snapple, but never did any work with it. Never saw it in KO vending machines, and never saw it in many stores.

- the whole market was a fad. Seen any Snapple lately? The whole market segment was nothing great.

fusion
08-18-2003, 10:46 PM
I think a big part of its' failure was the low juice content. 3% or 5% isn't going to cut it in a school setting. By upping it to 10%, cutting out some of the crap, and presenting it as part of a portfolio including Dasani, Nestea, and Swerve, Coke will have an advantage when it comes to bidding on beverage contracts, and keeping vending machines in schools.

I guess they also realized that kids don't really buy hip juice-type drinks. So they reformulated and repackaged it as Minute Maid, which is a more adult brand.

I really can't see any similarity between Fruitopia and Snapple. Although I did read an AJC article that compared the two. Maybe it's because both came in a 16oz glass bottle, and had fruit-related flavors? I tend to think of Snapple because of their tea, not their juice drinks.

There was a Fruitopia tea line, but it was dumped after Coke/Nestle came out with Nestea. The rest of the lineup has been centered around different juice-type concoctions.

These are the flavors I've seen while working with the company (I may have missed a few, there have been so many):

The Grape Beyond
Fruit Integration *
Raspberry Psychic Lemonade
Peach Out
Cherry Vanilla Groove
Strawberry Passion Awareness *
Kiwiberry Ruckus
Orange Undercurrent
Tangerine Wavelength
Citrus Excursion
Berry Lemonade
Beachside Blast
Peachberry Quencher
Tremendously Tangerine

* only two that survived the whole time I've been with Coke.

According to BevNet (and others), there have been a few others (some were only in Canada):

Lemon Berry Intuition Iced Tea
Pink Lemonade Euphoria
Lemonade Hope & Love
Tropical Consideration
Mind Over Mango
Passionfruit Lemon Infinity
Citrus Bliss
Apple Raspberry Embrace
Apple & Tangerine Dream
Banana Vanilla Rapture
Blackcurrant Babylon

As I mentioned in another thread, Pepsi is killing Fruitworks, and they are also eliminating Brisk Lemonade, though both should be reincarnated with a Tropicana name. Coke will still sell Fruitopia in Canada, though.

karks88
08-19-2003, 09:48 AM
I can't even remember what flavor of Fruitopia I tried when it first came out but it was about the nastiest "fruit" drink I ever had. I think I drank about 2 ounces of it and tossed the rest. I never did try any of the other flavors.

Boris
08-19-2003, 10:12 AM
I remember four years ago in middle school they sold fruitopia. God that stuff was horrible. No one bought it. It was just so fake and artificial.

teamtitan512
08-19-2003, 03:24 PM
I doubt we'll be seeing any SaveFruitopia.com efforts coming anytime soon.

This is one brand no one will be sorry to see die a painful death, and the Minute Maid brand will do well I think, much better at least. The juice line, combined w/the Fruit Soda line which appears to be toppling Fanta, is going to have Minute Maid become maybe the next most important brand line for Coke after itself and Sprite.

the saint
08-19-2003, 05:13 PM
I never had any idea there were that many flavors of fruitopia. I have only seen maybe 6 or 8 in the what 5 years or so since it was launched.
As far as brisk lemonade that will be a brand that I am sure 3 or 4 people in the world will be sorry to see go, between that, pepsi twist and sierra mist I really do not know which I have more outof dates on.
the following is intended for jack only, you can probably look on PBG website for the info on oods if you want to follow up on my statement. once again I did not check the factual numbers when I wrote the statement about ood product.

icedpee
08-19-2003, 08:14 PM
Good riddance.

steveu
08-19-2003, 10:14 PM
Interesting. Fruitopia just went into the fountain at my local Mickey D's.

teamtitan512
08-20-2003, 01:24 AM
Powerade Mountain Blast has gone fountain at McD's here. McD's basically does everything they can in fountain to avoid having a real soda selection. My local ones in Cumberland have the best soda selection for McD's period (Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Barq's, Pibb). For a McD's, that's sadly good.

They are discontinuing Lipton Brisk? Just the Lemonad/Pink Lemonade or the Iced Tea too? Pepsi goes again in just copying Coke in using juice brand names to market lemonade. Pepsi looks more sad every day.

Terry K
08-20-2003, 06:10 AM
The McD's in Missouri have Dr P/Diet DP on tap, and I've seen Fanta in New Mexico (with Powerade Mt Blast)

Uncle Thirsty
08-20-2003, 04:27 PM
Bye, Bye

fusion
08-20-2003, 08:29 PM
Brisk Lemonade/Pink Lemonade are being discontinued, but it sounds like they are imitating Coke, and you'll probably see a Tropicana Lemonade sometime in the near future, along with Tropicana 10% juice 20oz (to replace Fruitworks).

teamtitan512
08-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Of course, how could Pepsi not imitate Coke?

Found all MM flavors today at Martin's, and a stray bottle of Orange Undercurrent. I almost bought it for a souvenir..but I didn't LOL.

Glampire
09-26-2003, 04:04 PM
I know I'm late coming into this thread, but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

I'm sorry to see Frutopia go. I hadn't drinken it in years, but I can recall drinking it as a little girl, along with the also discontinued Crystal Pepsi. So it's starting to feel like the stuff that gives me nostalgia is dying off.

And here's an odd coincidence, I was going through some old video tapes of stuff from tv dating back to 1994, and one of the commericals during a program was for Frutopia. It made me think for a moment about how long it had been since I'd seen and ad like that for the product. I couldn't even remember when the last time was in fact. I suppose hearing about the death of Frutopia explains why. :(

Tim Kelly
09-26-2003, 06:31 PM
The Westfield Mall in Bay Shore, Long Island has two flavors of Fruitopia in their vending machines, but I guess they'll be refilled with some other beverages...

fusion
09-26-2003, 09:41 PM
We've still got about half a pallet of Fruit Integration, plus some cans of some other flavors (which I think just went out of date.. too bad).

The new MM flavors are doing quite well. The MM portfolio is pretty deep. We have:

Lemonade
Pink Lemonade
Fruit Punch
Light Lemonade
Raspberry Lemonade
Berry Kiwi
Tropical Citrus
Limeade
Strawberry Passion

all 20oz, but the first 4 are available in cans, and the first 3 in 2 liters. We've also got Grape Medley, Valencia Orange, and Light Valencia Orange. I think the Fruitopia replacement flavors will eventually be in cans as well.

We never did get the other lights, though (Guava, Mango, etc). I've only seen them in CCBCC territory).

Light Orange and Light Lemonade cans literally fly off the shelves in the stores I work in. It's amazing.

teamtitan512
09-28-2003, 10:25 PM
Guava Citrus and Mango Passion are those lights Consolidated has. I've been trying to locate Light Valencia Orange, and can't do it. You're right...the stuff is popular.

Minute Maid Light Lemonade is around up here in Central territory. I've found it in FP's everywhere.

fusion
09-28-2003, 10:41 PM
I've seen Valencia Light in FPs. We used to have it in 2L, but it didn't sell that well. Philadelphia still has 2L, though.

teamtitan512
09-28-2003, 10:43 PM
All I found in CCE Mid-Atlantic territory was Valencia Orange and Grape Medley.

mjb1124
09-28-2003, 11:34 PM
I personally thought Fruitopia's products ranged from mediocre to nearly undrinkable, and they never sold that well either, but I guess some people like it so for their sake I'm sorry to see it go.

They have launched MM Berry Kiwi and Strawberry Passion here, and of course they also have regular, pink, and Light lemonade here. Haven't seen the raspberry lemonade here, I'd like to see them put that in 20 0z. bottles because they have that in the fountains at my college's dining hall and I love it. I also still see the Cherry Vanilla Frutopia flavor here.

sundrop
09-29-2003, 03:22 PM
CCBCC has these flavors in LT: Mango Passion, Raspberry Passion, Berry Kiwi, Guava Citrus and Lemonade. All of these flavors are in 20oz.
Just Mango, Raspberry and Lemonade come in FPs.

fusion
10-14-2003, 11:52 AM
New Fruitopia flavors available in Canada. And they still use glass bottles!

http://www.reddeerbottling.com/fruit2.jpg

And, check out the funky glass bottles for MM/FA/Nestea

http://www.reddeerbottling.com/fruit1.jpg

Tim Kelly
10-14-2003, 12:49 PM
A movie theater in Manhattan (on 19th Street) had several flavors of Fruitopia, but at $2.99 a bottle, my girlfriend & I shared a large Coke. ;)

Inko
10-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Hey Tim:

If you ever get to the art house Lincoln Plaza Cinema, pick up an Inko's White Tea. Seeing as you're in the city, if you don't like it, I'll personally refund your money!

Best,

Inko

Tim Kelly
10-14-2003, 11:58 PM
Thanks, Inko! I tried that Diet Cola Diet Prism soda this afternoon, and it was so bad I thought I was drinking a yeast infection!
Sorry, folks. That's what came to mind. redface.gif

fusion
01-13-2004, 10:53 PM
Pepsi's rolling out the new Tropicana replacements for Fruitworks. I picked up a Strawberry Melon tonight @ Best Buy. UPC is the same as the old Fruitworks.

teamtitan512
01-14-2004, 06:18 PM
I still don't understand why McD's keeps rolling it out in fountain when it's dead everywhere else. I'd think they'd push the new MM's.

Tropicana's stuff I've seen on commercial, but nowhere to be found in stores yet around here. PBG doesn't push that stuff around here, I've learned that in the area, they have the rights I believe to Hawaiian Punch, but don't put it to buy anywhere. They do in Bedford County right across the border, and I think Bedford's Pepsi comes out of the Cumberland sales center.

ben
03-23-2004, 04:16 AM
FRUITOPIA is avable all over canada in glass boattles and in fountains at every Mcdonalds(i just came back from canada a mounth ago)