PDA

View Full Version : New Coke Chill TV Add (Hill part two)

Mr Zabe
06-29-2005, 11:50 PM
I just saw the full version of the new Coke Chill commercial. Totally outstanding!!!!!! I was so amazed. I nearly had tears in my eyes. Coke really hit the nerve of young and old Coke drinkers. This add is a must see.

Thanks you Coca Cola, you did good.

itS JUSt SOdA dUdE
06-30-2005, 12:01 AM
it's a cool commercial, but...

doesn't say anything about what zero is.

i score it a big zero. LOL

Mr Zabe
06-30-2005, 12:26 AM
I see your point.

My thought is that Coca Cola is saying,
"Hey our family of soda pops" is more than just
one kind, it is a unified family".

A unified family that wants to catch the attention of new and old coke drinkers. I do not think Coca Cola wants to promote one soda pop in particular.

ramonazo
06-30-2005, 12:39 AM
I take back of the statement I made in my Chilltop topic, I said that it was going to be the "NEW COKE" of the Coke Commercials, but I was wrong, I saw the advertisement in www.cocacolazero.com (http://www.cocacolazero.com) and it's great!, the advertising agency who made it knew perfectly how to adapt the "Hilltop" commercial to appeal the young people. And how they adapt the scene to the slogan: "Everybody Chill": you can see all the people in the commercial of course chilling out, It's Cool!

Also there's the "Hilltop" commercial in the CCZero site to watch it and remember it.

[ 06-30-2005, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

XLS_04
06-30-2005, 02:15 AM
not a bad ad but not really original.

itS JUSt SOdA dUdE
06-30-2005, 08:26 AM
it's a "feel good" ad. but, again, it says NOTHING about coke zero.

a more boring, but informational ad, would be a simple ad called "light side" that simply shows zero along side coke's other diet drinks.

or, better yet, two people discussing "what it is." like a boyfriend and girlfriend, or something like that. it could be "cute" AND informative.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-30-2005, 09:12 AM
I agree with several comments in this thread.

Coke needs to stop trying to blatantly grab a demographic and start concentrating on explaining what Coke Zero is about.

And saying "Coke Zero is the hip, new, light cola for young people." is not good enough, either.

Instead of relying on nostalgia and a cool, familial image, they need to start advertising THEIR PRODUCTS.

For example, they need to show a bottle of a product and explain what it is, what it tastes like, why it's special. I don't think that a bunch of people on some roof of a building holding bottles up in the air with no mention of the product suffices.

itS JUSt SOdA dUdE
06-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by SnappleElementsVenom:
I agree with several comments in this thread.

Coke needs to stop trying to blatantly grab a demographic and start concentrating on explaining what Coke Zero is about.

And saying "Coke Zero is the hip, new, light cola for young people." is not good enough, either.

Instead of relying on nostalgia and a cool, familial image, they need to start advertising THEIR PRODUCTS.

For example, they need to show a bottle of a product and explain what it is, what it tastes like, why it's special. I don't think that a bunch of people on some roof of a building holding bottles up in the air with no mention of the product suffices. i agree completely. 99.9% of people aren't soda geeks, and have NO IDEA what coke zero is. word-of-mouth is good... but it can't do the job of mass marketing. :mad:

itS JUSt SOdA dUdE
06-30-2005, 10:25 AM
even C2 ads were better (more informative), and we see how far that went.

if zero fails, it's totally coke's fault. it's a superior product that simply needs to be tried.

Tannerman
06-30-2005, 05:26 PM
In today's Chicago Sun-Times, the business/advertising columist reviewed the "Chilltop" commercial... gave it an F.

Full article (http://www.suntimes.com/output/lazare/cst-fin-lew30.html)

jmyjunk
06-30-2005, 06:22 PM
Just watched it on the web site. What Poo!

One, It doesn't explain to me that Coke Zero is a diet soft drink!
Two. The "Remix" of the song. Please, the original song is nice(though a bit campy), and its what people remember when they think of Coca Cola.
Three- I am not certain what demographic they are trying to reach here. 18-30? perhaps. I though Zero was trying to reach the younger male segment that really doesn't go for diet drinks.

Well I just fall in the upper part of that range, and I am at an age now where I drink diet soda more than regular. I can tell you, the add does not speak to me.

I give the add an F.
I give the product an A+

Coke better get it right, or Zero will be Zero soon.

[ 06-30-2005, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: jmyjunk ]

ramonazo
07-01-2005, 01:55 AM
BTW, Check the Coca-Cola Mexican ads in the "Galeria" section, some of them are really funny!, well, actually some of them were made in Argentina, but they were released in Mexico.

http://www.coca-cola.com.mx/galeria.jsp

[ 07-01-2005, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

riot
07-01-2005, 02:06 AM
that kind of commercial is ok for an established brand like coca-cola classic, but not for a new entry.

they only show the zero bottle a couple times, and for an instant, and tell us nothing about what it is.

zero will flop if coke doesn't get it's act together on this one.

ramonazo
07-01-2005, 02:28 AM
Hey!, Now that I remember, there was already a second version of "Hilltop" before "Chilltop", I remember seeing it in a TV show dedicated to advertising, "Hilltop Reunion" appeared during the "Can't beat the real thing" campaign in 1990: the ad begins with the "head girl" (the one that sings first) in the 70's ad, with her daughter sitting in the Hill, telling her what happened here, and suddenly all the members of the original 70's cast appears with their sons while they're singing the "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" mixed with the "Can't beat the real thing" jingle lyrics, and of course with the Coke bottles of their respective country. This Ad was released during the Super Bowl

Do you remember this ad, guys?

[ 07-01-2005, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

Mr Zabe
07-01-2005, 05:38 AM
I do remember that super bowl with that commercial.
It was ok. It just seem too corny even for a sappy pop commercial. I don't recall if it was the fact that it was so much like the original or the fact that it was like reading the first chapter of good mystery yet already knowing the plot lines and who killed who.

Chill hill felt fresh. If felt like all generations of coke drinkers could hang together. Did anyone notice the similarities to the Chill Hill commercial and the last gig the Beatles did on the roof top?

It felt like more than just a creative coincidence. That blew my mind. That was what really got me, IMO that roof top shot at the end was like connecting the Coke generations. If you think about the baby boomer's on up it does appear that this add had very deep symbolic themes and done with a great deal of thought.

[ 07-01-2005, 04:43 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

riot
07-01-2005, 06:24 AM
i'm guessing that most people didn't realize it had so much "meaning" and "depth."

i sure didn't.

and, i doubt, after seeing that commercial, they had any more of an idea what coke zero was, either.

so, maybe it's a great ad, that flops.

Mr Zabe
07-01-2005, 07:55 AM
LOL
Riot,most advertising print,radio and TV "play"
at obvious and sub obvious themes to sell products.

Even those beer adds showing very attractive ladies meeting hot studly men are designed with differen themes.

I took a few college courses that covered subjects related to this stuff. It is truly amazing the amount of thought that goes in to making a print add and the like.

[ 07-01-2005, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]