PDA

View Full Version : Red Fusion troubles?

drpep
08-21-2003, 09:32 PM
Red Fusion is showing up in Fridge packs but I can not seem to find 2 liters. Wally had none and the only ones my store had were outback with X's on the caps because they were outdated. Whats strange is Dr Pepper 2 liters are showing up in stores with Red Fusion caps.

fusion
08-21-2003, 09:49 PM
Well, the diet version never did appear.. So I am starting to believe that Red Fusion may soon disappear.. Especially since (as has been noted in other areas), Pepsi just doesn't take care of DP like Coke tends to.

drpep
08-21-2003, 09:54 PM
This is Red Fusion from Coke. They did do Fridge packs (sorry "Cool packs" or whatever) so they must plan on keeping for awhile

RunWithDaLilGuy
08-21-2003, 11:23 PM
i've seen a number of dr pep (reg) with red fusion caps. maybe it's some cross over promotional type thing?

teamtitan512
08-22-2003, 03:57 PM
The problem w/Red Fusion is Pepsi and Coke bottlers neglected it for a long period of time last year because of their own introductions of Pepsi Blue and Vanilla Coke.

That's why I think Red Fusion is hurting in many regions, because it missed the initial promotional blitz, and most places never really got any from the Pepsi or Coke bottlers. I don't think it's doing well at all anywhere though, I think people really think Dr Pepper should be untouched and just be the way it is, because it's not really like anything else. That's why extending DP seems to me like maybe a mistake.

Pepsi overall does a rotten job w/Dr Pepper. It's easier here to find Sierra Mist in most places than Dr Pepper in cans or bottles of any sort. Coke and DPSU bottlers do a better job at making Dr Pepper look like a primary brand. Pepsi treats it like 7Up, a basic afterthought.

drpep
08-31-2003, 10:58 PM
And now the 12 pack facings in some stores are empty.

fusion
09-01-2003, 03:54 PM
Heavy couponing around these parts.. Saw a DP sale, 2/$3.99 on "cool pack" Pepper, Diet, CF Diet, Red Fusion. Plus, coupons on the packages, buy two and get a free Red Fusion.

XLS_03
09-01-2003, 04:47 PM
I still have not seen it in cans here yet.

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-02-2003, 10:29 PM
red fusion's still around in these parts but coke has been using red fusion caps on dr pepper here. i think the last time i saw red fusion in 20oz it was outdated. same problems coke has with ruby red squirt, it's a unique taste but in these days and times, there's so many things out there people are just over saturized.

teamtitan512
09-03-2003, 05:10 PM
Maybe some problems are some Pepsi bottlers didn't release it until March of 2003. That's the first I've seen of it here, and it's almost gone what little was here. There are more 2L slots in displays here for Sierra Mist than the entire Dr Pepper line (regular, diet, Red Fusion). Pepsi simply wants to lose it I think, and I hope they do.

SURGE
09-08-2003, 12:54 PM
They prolly just got to many caps and arnt selling enough RF. Too bad that stuff deserved to do well.

teamtitan512
09-08-2003, 07:14 PM
What's interesting is around here recently, PBG has seemed to quit putting Dr Pepper in coolers, and filled a lot of that space w/Red Fusion. I've been seeing it here in a decent amount for the first time.

SURGE
09-09-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by teamtitan512:
PBG has seemed to quit putting Dr Pepper in coolers, and filled a lot of that space w/Red Fusion.Wait you mean Pepsi is pushing a DPSU product!?! SHOCKING! Nah seriously though Pepsi does a bad job with RF as well as DP though none were as bad as the did with 7up.

teamtitan512
09-09-2003, 06:45 PM
Yes. We're also seeing football promo 20 oz. bottles here for reg. DP. Thing is I think they've been forced to expand Dr Pepper here. Mr. Green has been here a few times, they had a whole cooler of it at Giant Eagle here once, so I've been figuring PBG's been threatened to promote the brand here or lose it.

mjb1124
09-10-2003, 12:50 AM
Red Fusion is very prominent in the NYC area, widely availible in fridge packs and 20 oz. and 2-liter bottles. We haven't gotten the diet version...is it out anywhere? I haven't noticed whether DP has RF caps...I'll have to check. I personally am not a big RF fan, mainly just because it tastes too much like DP. I'd like to see the caffeine free versions come here (and everywhere for that matter).

Terry K
09-10-2003, 03:33 PM
I can say this much: DPSU has put a mandate on its bottlers (all bottlers, not just PBG) to start pushing DP again.

There's been a LOT of concern among the DPSU folks that with the launch of all the new products, DPSU has gotten lost in the fray.

Although DPSU is making gains with dnL, the same can't be said for Dr Pepper as a whole.

DPSU has told its bottlers that they need to push DP or risk losing it. I keep saying this and its worth repeating: Dr Pepper doesn't sell itself. If a bottler doesn't push a product hard enough, it will die.

And in the case of PBG bringing Green into a Pepper market, that is grounds for DPSU to revoke the franchise immediately. (I know ABC has raised that issue with DPSU in a couple of situations already)

I wouldn't write off Red Fusion quite yet. Its a good idea, just hasn't been pushed as much as it needs to be.

JACK
09-10-2003, 03:51 PM
You are on target with most of your post. DPSU should revoke franchises when bottlers dont perform or if that constantly dont uphold the standards of the frachise or transship.

fusion
09-23-2003, 05:24 PM
Dr Pepper 16.9oz 6pks spotted today with Red Fusion caps. Production code RC (Rochester NY).

teamtitan512
09-23-2003, 05:48 PM
Fusion...do you know the CCE code CN? Saw this on a 20 oz. Vanilla Coke bottle this weekend in Pittsburgh.

Red Fusion seems somewhat prevalent in Pittsburgh, where CCE has continually pushed DP, Diet DP, and RF. Found Cool Packs, 20 oz., and 2 liters in almost every place I looked. Mello Yello also seems to be expanding a great deal in and around Pittsburgh.

I think PBG should have had DP removed here for the fact that Mr. Green did appear in Giant Eagle here, and has appeared somewhere else, as I've seen people carrying 20 oz. Greens around, not sure where they got them, I do know other than to the west into WV, You can't buy Green anywhere near here, Pepsi has DP until you get to the east or south, where RC Winchester has DP. I never saw Green in that area. Since then, they've been carrying it a little better, probably because they were going to pull it, but saw there was no alternative as Central can't do DP w/all the Pibb they do, and letting Valley Beverage here do it would kill the brand, even though product coming from Winchester wouldn't be hard at all. It would just vanish everywhere like 7Up has.

bigrich
09-23-2003, 07:33 PM
(CN) = Cincinnati, OH

Tim Kelly
09-23-2003, 07:36 PM
We still got it here on Long Island! Come and get it!

fusion
09-23-2003, 07:43 PM
It could have been a situation like Pepsi in Central Virginia.. where Blue Ridge sells Sierra Mist. Maybe Valley or someone else picked up Mr. Green. Who knows.

XLS_03
09-24-2003, 05:25 PM
Red Fusion is still here too. That may or may not be here in the next few years though.

teamtitan512
09-24-2003, 08:33 PM
Nope positive it wasn't Valley. Reason being...the Mr. Green was in a Pepsi cooler. That cooler had Mr. green and something else in it, I think Lipton Brisk Lemonade, which was new here at the time. PBG should have lost it here.

Robot
09-24-2003, 08:59 PM
This stuff should be in trouble.. tried a 20 oz today, havent had it since it first launched.. and thought it was horrible.. theres no reason anyone would prefer this to regular Dr. Pepper, nor anything else on the shelf.

it really is serving a niche that doesnt exist.

"hmm, i really like dr. pepper, but i dont want it, i want something almost exaclty like it, but make it a little worse."

XLS_03
09-24-2003, 11:11 PM
I'm not a fan of Dr. Pepper but if this fails I think they should try something else new and not just stop there.

DJ Brian
10-07-2003, 03:11 AM
The problem with Fusion also is that not one bottler can make it taste the way it should, consistently. Well, that and other things.

All across NY state in Coke territories AND New England (CCE AND Coke of Northern New England), I dare you to find a drop of the stuff. I found one. At a Mobil south of Plattsburgh. The bottler code NH, angle bottle. Expired JAN 10, 03. Come on people!!!

I used to be mad that Pepsi scrapped up the DP Franchise in the Albany market, but thank God they did. Aside from PBG Latham plant which makes GOD AWFUL HORRIBLE PRODUCTS, Glens Falls Cicero NY Clinton's Ditch imports Red Fusion in ALL forms. Their DP has also improved considerably.

Coke originally blitzed RF everywhere they had DP when it first hit, now it's all vanished. Coke, first you fired Mr Pibb and stole his name making me Xtra mad, and now you are shoving DPRF in the trash?

I can't wait for DP to hand DP over to Cro-Pak. They took 7up and are carrying their once small-operation big time in Upstate NY. I can only imagine them getting even stronger with DP.

(anyone in New England know where I can buy a Cro-Pak DP?)

drpep
10-07-2003, 11:59 AM
I saw our Coke rep last week and asked him about Red Fusion. He told me the stock in the warehouse was dumped because it was out dated and more should be in. Nothing yet but Fridge packs have been around in some stores.

DJ Brian
10-07-2003, 11:22 PM
that's a bunch of garbage, I don't believe it. CCE is lying. Last I knew at least NYC CCE had it in cool 12's. But, Coke of Northern New England ?? Same as CCE in new york state, not one drop. They were selling Philadelphia 2 liters at one time! You can't find any now, just at some of the Mobil gas stations and it expired Last January.... ugh... like I said, thank God pepsi here started selling it and it hasn't disappeared [yet :( anyway].

teamtitan512
10-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Here Pepsi's done a rotten job as usual, here we never saw Red Fusion until March 2003, and then around the first of September, it disappeared and hasn't been seen since. We only have DP and Diet DP, and very little of it. The fact that there was some Mr. green around here last year Dr Pepper should have been pulled from here. I wish it would have, Dr Pepper sells well w/no marketing, poor placement, and barely any shelf space here. Moving it to third-tier would generate tons of market for Valley Beverage, and would make them either understand they need to expand, or sell to RC Winchester or ABC.

drpep
10-08-2003, 09:23 PM
20 oz back in stores.

DJ Brian
10-09-2003, 01:31 AM
Like Terry said, the bottlers that have DP assume it's a gift from God and that they'll rake in the money. Of course coke and pepsi want to sell their own brand of spicy cherry sometimes, and the rest of the time, assume DP sells itself. Terry said it best "DR PEPPER DOES NOT SELL ITSELF". They don't want to spend THEIR money on someone else's product. Little do they know the S is about to hit the fan from DP corporate :-D hehe

Willbev
10-09-2003, 12:11 PM
Come on man tell us more!!

DJ Brian
10-10-2003, 05:11 AM
this just came out... first real public awareness that DP is aware of the problem:

Report from Just Drinks (http://www.just-drinks.com/news_detail.asp?art=20977)

fusion
10-10-2003, 09:30 PM
DP needs to accelerate the merging of its' bottlers and move their brands to these companies. That way, they will be sure of where their loyalty lies. With a diverse group of brands such as Snapple, Nantucket, Mistic, RC, A&W, Sunkist, DP, 7UP, etc, etc.. any bottler with some $$ and those strong brands should be able to reasonably succeed in this country.

Most DPSU bottlers in my area really miss the boat with vending and fountain. that's where the real money is.

sundrop
11-09-2003, 06:32 PM
A Pepsi merchandiser told me recently that red fusion is gone as soon as they run through their remaining inventory and from what I here pepsi vanilla is also being dropped by some bottlers at the first of the year.

teamtitan512
11-09-2003, 11:04 PM
PepsiAmericas didn't have any Red Fusion in the areas I saw. I only saw it in the areas where CCE controlled DP where I was yesterday.

Terry K
11-10-2003, 04:25 AM
I haven't been in a Coke area Grocer in a while, but I recall seeing RF on the shelves there.

In my market, where Pepsi has DP/RF, they're pushing it suddenly. They've got it on the shelves, in 20 oz, 2 litre, and 12 packs, and its starting to move.

I've seen it in some Pepsi Americas areas (I saw it in Missouri last year around Kansas City)

teamtitan512
11-10-2003, 11:01 PM
It's gone from around Steubenville, OH and Weirton, WV. I never knew this, but apparently the top part of Northern WV is PepsiAmericas w/DP instead of PBG w/CCE having DP.

For Pibb fans in the Pittsburgh area, take a drive to Weirton and Steubenville, it's in the Krogers there in 12 packs, 1 store had Fridge Packs, the other having old style ones. Found it interesting to see those there.

DJ Brian
11-12-2003, 12:00 AM
For Pibb fans in the Pittsburgh areaYou almost had me.. you mean "Pibb Xcrament" fans ;)

teamtitan512
11-12-2003, 09:23 PM
Sorry Brian...Pibb Xtra :(

For anyone that wants Pibb Xtra, come to my town (see below). You'll find it anywhere here, in 20 oz., 2L, and 12 pack. We've had more of it since it became Pibb Xtra then when it was Mr. Pibb.

fusion
11-13-2003, 11:50 PM
I've always called it Pibb. Us soda guys tend to shorten all the names of stuff.

Pibb, Pepper, Ale, Remix, Caff-Diet, Caff-Classic, and so on.

ben
03-23-2004, 04:10 AM
i like PIBB EXTRA i wish they had it here