PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Mist: 1st signs of death?

teamtitan512
08-24-2003, 07:07 PM
Hagerstown, MD appears to maybe be the first market where Sierra Mist may be saying bye-bye.

Wal-Mart had 20 oz. bottles for .50 and still couldn't sell them. Sheetz in Hagerstown had coupons on the outside of every Pepsi cooler for .35 off a 20 oz. Sierra Mist. They were Pepsi coupons, not Sheetz coupons, so I could go back to Wal-Mart and get 20 oz. of SM for .15. Sad thing is it's still not worth it. Took about 3 years for the brand to appear to be dying here, I give it until 2006 when it's 3 years at least everywhere, and it will be gone.

karks88
08-25-2003, 12:33 PM
Wow, that was quick! I'm honestly surprised, I figured it would do well enough to stick around for a long time.

teamtitan512
08-25-2003, 05:13 PM
Problem here is 3rd tier strength. Dr Pepper and 7UP have been in third-tier there for years, but when Sierra Mist was released, people still knew where to find their 7Up.

Sierra Mist will be strong around Cumberland though, most think 7Up is gone and they wonder where it's gone because of the problem our third-tier bottler has, with 7Up as their staple product now. RC, A&W, Sunkist, and Canada Dry were about all they had before.

LV Eric
08-26-2003, 05:28 PM
Its everywhere in Hawaii.

fusion
08-26-2003, 10:15 PM
not to diss your area, but keep in mind that you live in a super-small market (titan, that is). You'd have to really go to Pittsburgh, Baltimore, or Philadelphia to get a better gage on Sierra Mist.

I used to go to school up in your area, I know it's not the hotbed of excitement. Although it is a strong Pepsi area. Pepsi pretty much owns the whole area until you get closer to Pittsburgh, where CCE has a little more strength. I just don't see Central having a lot of muscle or money to go up against PBG. Maybe Consolidated's Morgantown sales center has a stronger presence in their area.

Speaking of Consolidated.. have they rolled the 12oz/12pk PET soda out anywhere else? I saw a bottle in the recycling bins today here in Delaware, produced in Charlotte. I guess somebody went on vacation and brought it back.

I'm going to be heading down to Virginia for the next few days, and I'm going to see what I can find down there. Definately going to be stopping in Staunton, Lexington, and Virginia Beach.

teamtitan512
08-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Yes, it sure isn't a major metropolitan market, but it's not really as owned by Pepsi as you might think. I'd say Pepsi and Coke are about split even around here locally (maybe slightly biased toward Pepsi in sales and shelf space), and in the areas like Hagerstown where 3rd tier tends to be stronger, I'd say Coke probably has the majority. It also seems the closer you get to DC, the stronger Coke gets (Of course, this probably has to do w/the Central to CCE switch).

Sierra Mist had a serious sitting and expiration problem around Chambersburg, so that region appears to be a maybe dead-Mist zone. If that trend continued to Martinsburg and Winchester, then Pepsi would almost die there, having really no brand to push but Pepsi. The sales center in that region was pushing Pepsi Blue in coolers there like Dr Pepper is everywhere else, about 1/2 of one row was Pepsi Blue everywhere, of course, you see tons of Mug and Slice, and other brands you never see anywhere else much. The I-81 corridor from Chambersburg to Winchester goes through 4 states, around 60 miles, and is a growing area with an already substantial population. I think it would be pretty significant if Sierra Mist is on its way out there, or anywhere for that matter. I've heard similar problems are existing in Philadelphia, and Coke tops Pepsi in Pittsburgh, so Mist may be troubled there as well.

I really don't see my region as a Pepsi stronghold, if you want to see a Pepsi stronghold, go to Central PA, around Somerset, Bedford, and Cambria counties, and you won't see much Coke at all, Bedford is Central, and the other 2 are CCE, and they can't even make much headway there.

Shatter
08-28-2003, 02:12 AM
Sierra Mist is doing okay here. Not good, just okay. But then, Dr Pepper is it's own bottler and distributor here, so 7Up wasn't swapped out here for Sierra Mist. Actually, in the Dallas area, i'm pretty sure that Dr Pepper's sales top Pepsi's, so if things don't look to good for them, Dr Pepper could just buy up the rights to bottle Pepsi's line here and then drop Sierra Mist just for spite... I'm sure that would make a lot of people smile!

JACK
08-28-2003, 02:20 PM
Now that Rumor is VERY hot and heavy.. Turner buys the Pepsi franchise and Dr Pepper lets PBG have more area somewhere else.

Interesting but I dont bet on it with the imminent collapse of 8 BUs into 4...its natural that a PBG BU will be based in Dallas

SURGE
09-08-2003, 01:57 PM
Mist will do fine for awhile, but then its appeal will rub off. Coke and Pepsi ought to be used to this with their me-toos. Unlike VC which I'm sure will stabilize I have no doubt that Mist will die, it just might take 5+ years.

teamtitan512
09-08-2003, 08:10 PM
The .50 Sierra Mist sales are expanding all over Wal-Marts across 4 states now, down I-81 into Chambersburg all the way down to Winchester. It even stretches out into Moorefield. It hasn't hit here yet, but when it does, that's saying the brand is near death in less than a year here. I've seen a few too many .35 off 20 oz. coupons in every C-store to boot.

Sierra Mist's days are numbered, almost as soon as they started in some places.

Terry K
09-09-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by teamtitan512:
The .50 Sierra Mist sales are expanding all over Wal-Marts across 4 states now, down I-81 into Chambersburg all the way down to Winchester. It even stretches out into Moorefield. It hasn't hit here yet, but when it does, that's saying the brand is near death in less than a year here. I've seen a few too many .35 off 20 oz. coupons in every C-store to boot.

Sierra Mist's days are numbered, almost as soon as they started in some places.Bring your pallet jack, you're gonna need it!

mjb1124
09-10-2003, 01:52 AM
Although I haven't really been following sales statistics, it does seem like Sierra Mist has had solid sales in the NYC area and is not going anywhere. Mist has been sold here since it was introduced, and Pepsi continues to bottle 7UP here as well.

JACK
09-10-2003, 09:29 AM
Mist has been sold in the Philadelphia market prior to the 7Up dumping by PBG. I understand at one point that WAWA delisted the brand and Pepsi had to repurchase its space.

5Hole
09-10-2003, 06:34 PM
Sierra Mist is not going anywhere, IMO. Although SM sales in convenience stores leave something to be desired, it is doing better than expected in grocery and other mass accounts. I think these hot sales are more of an attempt at gaining trial and market share as opposed to being a "Bargain Bin" sale.
But I do think that Mr.Green is about to leave the building. All Code Red Dew that I have seen in the last week has had the orange Mr.Green caps, they even have the "Sobe-isms" under the cap.

BeverageAnalyst
09-24-2003, 02:22 PM
We published a 25-page report on Sierra Mist, analyzing the brand's trail, repeat and source of share. If anyone would like a free copy, please email me at kaumil.gajrawala@ubs.com (please indicate your profession in the email).

Thoughts on our work (positive or negative) are always welcome.

XLS_03
09-24-2003, 06:23 PM
This product is not going ANYWHERE. Pepsi pushed ads and displays for this product, etc... It is Pepsi's flagship lemon-lime brand. So don't expect them to pull it anytime soon.

teamtitan512
09-24-2003, 09:40 PM
I don't know if Sierra Mist is bound to stay, I checked the Pittsburgh area, and in Westmoreland County, it's almost gone.

Westmoreland County, which is the main suburban county just to the east of Pittsburgh has a population of around 400,000, and Sierra Mist is gone there. No 20 oz. coolers had it in at all, the space was claimed by Mountain Dew, or Code Red. The only place I saw it was at Wal-Mart in 20 oz. in diet form. Only the Giant Eagle carried it in 2L (only 2 slots for reg. and diet) and 1 slot for 12 packs of just regular.

BTW It's not a good sign when in a large suburban area that less than 1 year after its unveiling, it's failing already. Westmoreland County has had some different bottling issues from immediate Allegheny County, as 7Up was Pepsi's until 2003, whereas in Pittsburgh, it was ABC's. Coke was also different I believe Herbco because there was Sunkist until 2001. They had Dr Pepper which was an oddity for Herbco in Westcentral PA, they never had it, Pepsi did. They also had Evian, as Herbco I believe never switched to Dasani. Now, the Pittsburgh Coke system has taken over Westmoreland County, and availability has been streamlined over that region, with Coke, all its brands, and Dr Pepper.

XLS_03
09-25-2003, 12:05 AM
Try Philly, Pittsburgh is a slow area and stuff. Philly or surrounding areas seem to be the place to find stuff in Pa. Or maybe you just showed up on a day where they were getting rid of alot of stuff to get more new stuff. I will have to look at Sierra Mist sales in that area to be able to tell you. Your saying they didnt have Sierra Mist there until 2003??? Wow they really are slow there.

teamtitan512
09-25-2003, 12:10 AM
No. In most of Pittsburgh, it came right when it was unveiled in 2000, however, in Westmoreland County to the east, and Fayette County to the South, PBG had 7Up until 2003. I've been there the past 2 weeks, and the same goes in that county for Sierra Mist. Figured if it was supposed to have returned during the week and it didn't it was a bad sign.

XLS_03
09-25-2003, 12:20 AM
You might be right then. Although I wouldnt base all your information on a small town because there are towns in every state that have nothing for a selection. Do you know of any other places that were missing popular brands?

teamtitan512
09-25-2003, 07:44 PM
It's not a small town. It's suburban Pittsburgh. A PBG just was stocking a 20 oz. cooler at one store, and there was no Sierra Mist on his dolly, just Pepsi and Mountain Dew stuff.

5Hole
09-25-2003, 09:14 PM
Trust me, you are way off base here. It is most likely that it is just a case of poor execution or production issues. Pepsi is VERY dedicated to this brand.
What would their options be if they got rid of SM?
They are not going to bring back LL Slice, SM kills it in sales. And there is no way that they are going to get the 7up dist again.

Robot
09-25-2003, 09:52 PM
Dont know why this product would die, i see it everywhere, and i think its pretty good. I like it ALOT more than Sprite, and usually get this over 7up if I have the choice.

-Jim

fusion
09-25-2003, 10:00 PM
You should have struck up a conversation with the guy.. I've had the pleasure of talking with various soda vendors throughout the years. Made a few good friendships along the way, too! I once had a really long talk with a CCBCC account rep.. I really like the way they run things down there.

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-26-2003, 12:14 AM
merchandisers are usually lonely and very bored. if you show interest in what we're doing, we can talk for hours.

SURGE
10-15-2003, 02:19 PM
Is it just me or does this stuff reak of store brand. I mean the updated logo is better than the original, but it still sucks bad. Even the horrid American Sprite logo is better and thats circa 1994 right? Anyways of course Pepsi won't kill it, i mean to clarify my previous post, But what will happen is when sales fall like a rock more and more stores will dump it so pretty soon it will be like Mr. Green, one of those brands that Pepsi is embarassed of but still sells just so they can jack some change from Coke and DPSU when the battery acid is on sale.

"Hey Pepsi, Shasta called they want their lemon-lime back"
P.S.
Its nice to be back all, still a bit ill but with my healthy lifestyle its no suprise ;)

[ 10-15-2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: SURGE ]

fusion
10-15-2003, 07:12 PM
From what I've seen, new graphics are in the works for Sprite in the next few months.