PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Tariff

POP
07-04-2005, 03:51 AM
People, what is the deal?
Is this why all soft drinks are made with HFCS?

What geographic location provides the cheapest sugar?

I apologize if my questions don't make any sense.

SamC
07-04-2005, 07:17 AM
If you are saying that the USA has a very high sugar tariff (tax paid by an importer) then that is very correct. Because of it, sugar trades in the USA at amounts far above the world price.

If there was no tariff, then the relative price of sugar and HFCS would be different. Sugar would be unbelievably cheep.

People who support the sugar tariff would also point out that the USA would then have no domestic sugar producers, because the tariff equalizes the production costs between the USA and third world places where life is cheep and labor is paid cents per month, and the USA would have millions of tons of corn with no one wanting to buy it.

USF SPAMMER 1
07-04-2005, 10:23 PM
It's "cheap," not "cheep."

Obviously they are not teaching spelling or grammar in school anymore...

POP
07-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks for shedding some light on the subject Sam.

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Hey Franz/Kreef,

Go to a grammar enthusiasts board.

Sam's post was may more intelligent than yours.

Mr Zabe
07-05-2005, 12:40 PM
SEV
Well said. I second your post.

Hacksaw
07-05-2005, 02:59 PM
It's not just the sugar Tariffs.

It's also the subsidies for corn growers. Yes, you, the Taxpayer, are paying money to corn growers. The corn Lobby has a lot of power in the US. NAFTA notwithstanding, the US has caused ruin in Mexico's agriculture due to subsidies, it's cheaper to buy US grown products in Mexico than their own.

So much for "free trade".

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-05-2005, 03:11 PM
It's true.

Latin American farmers who would otherwise thrive by trading with the US(that includes sugar cane farms in the Caribbean) are shut out by enormous subsidies to American farmers.