PDA

View Full Version : Fresca dying in Central PA?

karks88
08-31-2003, 04:56 PM
I've been to a Giant and a ShurFine within the last 2 weeks and I've seen but 1 fridgepack of Fresca. The ShurFine I visited today had only a few 2 liter bottles left. Its old 12 pack space was just doubled up with Sprite.

So at this point it looks as if neither Fresca or Mello Yello are sticking around in cans. So Coke currently has no citrus sodas in 12pack/fridgepack form.

I pray for a SURGE revival...

teamtitan512
08-31-2003, 07:41 PM
Being that Mello Yello, and now Fresca have vanished there, I'm starting to wonder if maybe there's some big citrus debut of something coming that no one knows about yet. It wouldn't surprise me, because Citra and Surge are gone, and Fresca just goes along in a few areas. I haven't really noticed if Central here has let it vanish, I'll take a look this week.

fusion
08-31-2003, 10:38 PM
Also keep in mind that we're smack dab in the middle of a holiday. Our warehouse is practically devoid of cans. With 5/$10, 4/$10, and $1.99 sales on 12pks, plus $3.98 and $4.98 sales on 24pks, we're going through a TON of cans. I was in the back warehouse today, and I only saw six pallets of old 3x4 12pks (mostly Fanta), plus 2 or 3 pallets of 24pks. I bet the other warehouse is pretty empty, too. I know they scratched most of the flavors from the weekend orders.. and we haven't seen Pibb in 12pks for about 3 weeks now. Just too much pressure on the production lines.

Heck, Grape Medley and Valencia Light fridge packs didn't show up until almost a month after we transitioned.

teamtitan512
09-03-2003, 05:53 PM
Mid-Atlantic looked like it was having a lot of problems w/stock. Only saw Grape Medley 3x4's and no sign of Valencia Light.

Fanta appears to be vanishing in Mid-Atlantic territory in Northern Virginia. The only trace of it I saw was at a Wal-Mart who has 2 FP's of Strawberry.

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-03-2003, 11:21 PM
"fresca dying" sounds like a great name for a metal band.

fusion
09-03-2003, 11:39 PM
CCE Mid-Atlantic only has two can production facilities.. Baltimore which always runs cans, and Richmond, which runs all packages.

We've gotten cans from Twinsburg OH and Elmsford NY before.. and just this weekend, we got a truckload of Diet Coke fridge packs from Mid-Atlantic canners.

Now that the last summer holiday is over, stock levels should start returning to normal. I think we were scheduled to receive at least six truckloads of cans yesterday. And more probably came today.

karks88
09-06-2003, 02:06 PM
Now it really looks as though Fresca is nevermore in these parts. The 2 liters that were at ShurFine last week have now been replaced by a few rows of Seagram's and the little Fresca sticker in it's old 12 pack spot has been X'd out.

SURGE
09-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Ya know I could honostly see Coke picking up dnL as a citrus brand. Especially based on its early success!

teamtitan512
09-08-2003, 08:18 PM
LOL No chance in hell. dnL is 7Up's ticket to third-tier success, and Coke would never promote an upside down 7Up, they'd be trying to protect Sprite.

Makes me wonder if Etirps is on the way......
What about Tsim Arreis?

karks88
09-16-2003, 11:26 AM
Fusion I believe you were right on Fresca. Giant and Wal Mart are now carrying fridgepacks once again.

fusion
09-16-2003, 12:03 PM
Baltimore production is having a hell of a time keeping up with demand. We finally got Valencia Light FPs back in the other day, after being out for at least 2 weeks. We also had to buy probably 4-5 truckloads of FPs from MAC, and even had some shipped down from Hartford CT (KH). Still no Vanilla or Diet Coke w/Lemon FPs, though.

teamtitan512
09-16-2003, 07:29 PM
While in Pittsburgh this weekend, I found plenty of Mello Yello and Fresca in FP's within stores. Not going anywhere in Eastern Great Lakes territory, either brand.

Hacksaw
09-20-2003, 09:00 PM
Seeing Fresca, Tab, & Citra still in small quantities in San Jose.

karks88
09-22-2003, 10:02 AM
I can report that Fresca is back in the grocery stores, my stories of its death were premature! But, I can now say that Sheetz does not currently have Mello Yello in 20oz. bottles or cans.

[ 09-22-2003, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: karks88 ]

fusion
09-22-2003, 11:04 PM
Mello Yello and Pibb FPs have been out of stock for almost a month now. Not sure what is going on there...

teamtitan512
09-23-2003, 12:11 AM
Weird. Figured for Mello Yello at least they could buy FP's out of Twinsburg. They're all over Pittsburgh, and it seems like since the FP induction, they're growing. I wouldn't be surprised since they're trying to grow the brand in Pittsburgh to see some flavors out of HO, or see TB even start producing Cherry, even Melon or Afterglow.

I guess for Pibb you're speaking for Lancaster, because Harrisburg simply doesn't have it (why I'll never know). Lancaster to me still seems like a Mid-Atlantic territory, and stronger than in Harrisburg, where it seems Pepsi does better.

fusion
09-23-2003, 12:34 AM
Yeah, Lancaster still has that Mid-Atlantic feel to it. They still buy most of their stuff from our production facilities, though I have seem some cans from TB, and some 2 liters from RC (Rochester).

I don't think CCE has any production facilities in Pennsylvania. Most of the old Herbco in the northeastern part (Poconos) is sourced from CCE-NY (KE,KH,KM), while the western part is sourced from TB. I think Harrisburg/Lemoyne still comes out of SS/RM/AX/BT (Mid-Atlantic).

Central in PA buys from MAC, produces in Hagerstown, and also buys from CCE and CCBCC.

I wonder if any Coke bottlers except for ABARTA produce in PA. Doesn't seem like it. Herbco produced PET packages in Pittston before the buyout, and bought cans from MAC. Abarta produces cans and PET in Bethlehem (BH), although I think they buy their 16.9 from CCE in Richmond... maybe CCBCC, too. I wonder if they're going to switch to FPs.

Yeah, I don't quite get why we don't have Mello Yello FPs. We've bought a lot from TB in the past, but mostly 2 liters and Dasani. All of our 16.9oz 12pk Dasani comes from there. And some of our 20oz as well.

teamtitan512
09-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Lancaster still feels like Mid-Atlantic for sure, and CCE doesn't produce anything in PA.

Only ABARTA and Philly Coke do produce anything within the state. You can count the II facility in Washington, PA south of Pittsburgh where Dasani is produced.

I haven't seen it recently, but I remember someone saying they found Citra 12 packs I think w/a Pittsburgh name on them. Either these Citra packs predated Cameron Coke's CCE sellout (happened in 2000 maybe) or there is some form of production still in Pittsburgh, but in very small amounts, since most everything comes out of Twinsburg.

fusion
09-23-2003, 07:06 PM
I did find Citra 12pks in Pgh, but they were from Twinsburg. Abarta cans say something to the effect of "A member of Abarta, Pittsburgh, PA"

I had forgotten about Philadelphia.. They produce 2L/1L/20oz/10oz and Dasani in the city. 16.9 are purchased from KH and RC. Cans are produced in Moorestown NJ (MT). They now produce Tab in FPs, for some dumb reason.

[ 09-23-2003, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

XLS_03
09-24-2003, 06:29 PM
You found Citra?? Probably old bottles re dated. The category for grapefruit soda is not big for kids like it is for adults, thats why Fresca is still here after all these years.

Fanta is not selling well there? That's okay, there flavors are too mainstream anyway. Atleast with Minute Maid there trying all types of stuff for these modern times.

ben
03-24-2004, 12:49 AM
FRESCA is still all over mami