PDA

View Full Version : Crackdown on Dublin Dr Pepper



Shatter
09-08-2003, 03:30 AM
My store's Dr Pepper rep told me that his bosses want them to report any store that stocks Dublin Dr Pepper. I guess they're getting annoyed at how much of it there is around here (Thanks to guys like Boodoo!)

He also told me that since Coke is shipping in more 8 oz. canned drinks to this area, Dr Pepper is planning on coming out with their own 8 oz. drinks. He thought Red Fusion would be one, since they've already made them before, when they introduced the flavor.

boodoo
09-08-2003, 10:27 AM
See, this is what happens when the masses have access to great tasting beverages not sold by one of the big three evil corporate giants!

Well the DP sales reps better get ready to write down alot of accounts cause another 18 wheeler is on the way! (I guess we better take the backroads and sneak in during the cover of darkness or big Jim will get us!).

Terry K
09-08-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Shatter:
My store's Dr Pepper rep told me that his bosses want them to report any store that stocks Dublin Dr Pepper. I guess they're getting annoyed at how much of it there is around here (Thanks to guys like Boodoo!)

He also told me that since Coke is shipping in more 8 oz. canned drinks to this area, Dr Pepper is planning on coming out with their own 8 oz. drinks. He thought Red Fusion would be one, since they've already made them before, when they introduced the flavor.I'm surprised (this is Jim Turner's market, IIRC), they don't do the 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' routine.

Coke in So. Cal got irritated with the proliferation of Quality decent tasting mexican coke here they did something quite nice (and admirable!) They import it themselves from Mexico and offer it to accounts in their territory. You heard right, they sell the US and Mexican versions (in glass bottles and *real sugar* as it was intended to be) in a number of accounts in So. Cal.

I have in my hot little hands a 20 oz bottle (500 ml) of Mexican Coke and it retails for actually less than the US version does! Coke won my cola dollar by doing this, whereas Pepsi can't get the concept. They don't want anyone selling Mexican *anything* of theirs in the US. I don't get it.

Why doesn't DPSUBG get wise and do the same thing? They could just contract with Dublin DP, buy the product and distribute it themselves. This would help their DP numbers a LOT and also not make them look like the bad guy!

Or here's a better idea: Run their own darn Dublinish-DP. (Real Sugar must scare these guys!)

karks88
09-09-2003, 09:38 AM
I'm not informed on this subject as you guys but I have to ask, why in the world do they care if people are selling Dublin Dr Pepper? These corporate bigwigs are picking on that tiny little bottler??? Oh yeah, wait, that's what corporations do!

Seriously, I have to wonder what they're so worried about. Dublin sells their stuff online so people anywhere can buy it.

Terry K
09-09-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by karks88:
I'm not informed on this subject as you guys but I have to ask, why in the world do they care if people are selling Dublin Dr Pepper? These corporate bigwigs are picking on that tiny little bottler??? Oh yeah, wait, that's what corporations do!

Seriously, I have to wonder what they're so worried about. Dublin sells their stuff online so people anywhere can buy it.Its very simple: Jim Turner doesn't own it or distribute it. He's not thrilled that someone else is shipping product into his market.

I'd encourage the owners of the stores to inform their customers that DP is being restricted by Jim and Co. (I'd even post his home phone number, but that's just me)

And the customers will backlash against the DP Co. Of Dallas. And backlash they will.

boodoo
09-09-2003, 05:02 PM
No kidding they will. I service two small local c-store chains and several independent retailers who have kicked DP of Texas (big Jim's company) to the curb. One of the owners hasn't bought any products from them since 1999! Rock On.

JACK
09-10-2003, 09:37 AM
DPSUBG of Sherman is one of the worst transshipping offenders in the business. Now when it comes to Dublin, Turner bought the franchise, Dublin did not and should not sell their product out of their franchise without approval / agreement of the local bottler. DPSUBG should consider buying product from Dublin and distributing in their area but EGOs will get in the way of good business.

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-10-2003, 10:19 AM
transshipping?

SURGE
09-10-2003, 01:34 PM
I think it means selling stuff over their district line. Anyways this is BS these big companies never cease to amaze me.

boodoo
09-10-2003, 03:04 PM
Jack, Jack, Jack there you go sounding like a parent company rep again! Whoops!

Terry K
09-10-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by JACK:
DPSUBG of Sherman is one of the worst transshipping offenders in the business. Now when it comes to Dublin, Turner bought the franchise, Dublin did not and should not sell their product out of their franchise without approval / agreement of the local bottler. DPSUBG should consider buying product from Dublin and distributing in their area but EGOs will get in the way of good business.I partially agree with you on this one. However, Dublin is the only DP botter I know of authorised to sell its product directly on the internet. I don't think that any DP bottler has raised a stink about the real deal DP being sold by them online or at one of the online soda shops (although one online store has ceased selling Pepsi because of some political things)

Seriously, though, if Jim is so *@#$#% happy about this, why doesn't he get his friends at DPSU to put a stop to this? Simple. Do you REALLY want to irritate the flagship bottler for your product?

Big Jim seems jealous that he can't run a quality product.

JACK
09-10-2003, 04:47 PM
Parent Company Rep? The franchise system holds the major soft drink business together...right or wrong. DPSUBG complains when it, transshipping - selling your franchised beverages in someone else's franchise -- and constantly looks the other way when their guys are doing it.

Terry K
09-11-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by JACK:
Parent Company Rep? The franchise system holds the major soft drink business together...right or wrong. DPSUBG complains when it, transshipping - selling your franchised beverages in someone else's franchise -- and constantly looks the other way when their guys are doing it.Although I can tell you that several Blue or Red bottlers have enough clout with DPSU that they put a stop to transhipping rather fast.

One bottler went as far as to sue CCE for selling DP in his territory (he's a Pepsi bottler), and another has nasty-gramed ABC and Pepsi for selling in his territory, and they stopped REAL fast.

The transhipping issue is a real threat to the bottlers mainstays, no question there, but, though, if DPSU would just authorise the bottlers to work *with* each other (how do you think Great Plains Coke stays in business?), every one wins.

You may see some trans-shipping (I've seen DP/SU products from Dallas sold in Denver in longnecks, for example), and I don't hear anyone complaining.

Generally speaking, the bigger the bottler, the more they get away with.

sodasommelier
09-13-2003, 02:49 PM
The whole concept of transshipping and franchise infringement dates back to neighboring Coca-Cola bottlers in the 1920's who had the exact same 6oz bottle with their city embossed on the bottom. They'd cross the county line and sell it in another's territory. Hence all the 'transshipping' problems.

Now you have companies who discontinue the good stuff and put it in crappy plastic and say "well you live in my little Soviet Union and Stalin will be at your door if you bring a delicious glass version from another territory". Not the same concept as the 'bad' transshipping, now is it?

I think that Americans should boycott any brand from any bottler that does not provide the product in the form which is being barred as a "transshipped" item. Then the true value of that bottler will be realized. If they are the authorized bottler they can get off their ***** and put it in bottles instead of trying to prevent American consumers from having genuine American products in the bottles that made them what they are today.

Good work boodoo!!

Boris
09-13-2003, 04:45 PM
Although I agree with your point. I dislike your use of Soviet Union Metaphores....I myself stick with the Nazi Germany and Hitler metaphores for things of that nature...

I hate Stalin by the way. He killed my great Uncle and Aunt in the Ukraine.

Android
09-13-2003, 06:52 PM
The only time you ever are "supposed" to see soda product in your region that came from elsewhere is when the bottler itself purchased and resold it themselves. Back when I worked at Pepsi in Colorado, I remember seeing bottler ID's on product I was stocking from Iowa and other places every now and then. Here in Wyoming every now and then I'll see Wis-Pak product, but it's "legal" imports. I remember a story when I worked for Pepsi about a chain of farm stores that purchased several pallets of product for a special they were running, and then that store shipped some of it themselves across the state line to their Cheyenne,WY store. When word about this got to the WY bottler, they were apparantly very irate, because it was on special they got it a lot cheaper than they would have locally. So they made the store pay them, I think for at least the difference in cost, maybe more even.

I also remember when I lived it Fort Collins CO, the local Sam's Club (it might have still been Pace Warehouse then) used to have a sign next to where they sold Pepsi saying something to the effect that Pepsi would not allow more than 10 cases be allowed to cross the state line (we were the closest town to Wyoming and a lot of people would come down from there to shop)

So some bottlers do take transshipping quite seriously.

andy