PDA

View Full Version : My Apologies to All Members of This Board

assclown
07-07-2005, 12:45 AM
To All Members of The Bevnet Community:

My name is Duncan and I was once a member of a fraternity on the campus of the University of San Francisco (USF).

Several years ago, when I was Senior at USF, I wrote my senior thesis on internet communities and how they correlate with ones in the real world. I joined several dozen varied message boards and in various ways, I tried to influence how people reacted to each other and to the information presented on these boards by creating disturbances both subtle and extreme.

A significant portion of my research was done here at Bevnet, which was an ideal subject, because of the interesting nature of the topic discussed.

I also enlisted my frat brothers to help me out with the research at the time. They signed up with different screen names and together we tested out different community disruption theories like churning (digging up old threads to confuse the present users of a message board), embedding false information, and indulging in multiple characterizations in order to see how different personalities affect an internet message board.

When I turned in my thesis and graduated from USF, I assumed that my message board adventures would grind to a halt and the frat brothers who had not yet graduated would move on to other things.

Needless to say, I was surprised yesterday when I was told by an old friend that what I started several years ago has been continued to this day in my old frat house. Not only are they screwing around on Bevnet with some of the old screen names (and a few new ones to boot), but they are doing this on a lot of other boards to.

Something I did for school has been morphed and perverted into something I never intended. I had no idea that the people from my old frat would register dozens of screen names for boards like this and insinutate themselves so deeply into your message board communities.

I have asked the overseer of my old frat to make sure the current members stop screwing around on message boards like this, as well as stop passing on this irritating tradition.

I only found out about this last night and didn't revisit this board until a little while ago.

I offer my sincerest apologies for the hassles my old frat has caused you and I promise to do whatever I need to do to make sure this never happens again.

While I know it is frustrating for you kind folk here to be inundated with churlish fools as well as being unsure if even long-held screen names here are actually real, I can assure you of something I learned when I was writing my senior thesis only a few years ago.

Internet communities, like ones in life, change and evolve and are sometimes damaged, but they are almost never completely torn asunder.

Best of luck to you all,

Duncan

Mr Zabe
07-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Have you fully informed Bevnet about this situation? I have to have some real blind faith in what you say,as on the surface it sounds rather unbelievable. Basically you were studying the dynamics of spamming internet groups?

Your story just does not seem believable. Prove me wrong and please clear up the mess your mistake has caused this message board.

Zabe

[ 07-07-2005, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

ramonazo
07-07-2005, 01:50 AM
That explains all those weird posts that appeared this last days!

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-07-2005, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure I buy it.

The explanation is too easy.

I'll believe it when the nonsense stops.

EDIT:

If this story is indeed true, to disrupt vibrant and prospering on.line communities(which don't wholly differ from real communities) is a horrible way to do research.

[ 07-07-2005, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: SnappleElementsVenom ]

BottleBoss
07-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Yea, sure.

RunWithDaLilGuy
07-07-2005, 12:24 PM
this is great. thanks franz, for all you've disrupted. christ

mjb1124
07-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by SnappleElementsVenom:
If this story is indeed true, to disrupt vibrant and prospering on.line communities(which don't wholly differ from real communities) is a horrible way to do research. Well, what else would you expect from frat boys?

boodoo
07-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Obviously these boys need jobs.

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-07-2005, 05:52 PM
No wonder all the spam posts were short, meaningless, poorly-worded, and often mispelled. :rolleyes:

riot
07-07-2005, 05:52 PM
sounds like a lot of bullsh*t to me.

riot
07-08-2005, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by SnappleElementsVenom:
No wonder all the spam posts were short, meaningless, poorly-worded, and often mispelled. :rolleyes: LOL!

i like your 'tude. ;)

assclown
07-09-2005, 11:20 PM
I can understand and respect your skepticism, but I can assure you my school project was a bit more intellectually nourishing than I might have conveyed and I had no intention for the trolling to continue beyond my time at USF.

If I get time, I'll retype my final thesis and post it here if you're interested. In an idiot move, I kept most of my old school papers on a floppy and never backed them up. ;)

I'm also to give the moderator a list of fake screen names I know of and he/she can delete them and all of their posts to hopefully bring things back to normal here.

[ 07-09-2005, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: assclown ]

PSOmasterX77
07-10-2005, 11:04 PM
assclown I think you're just a dumbass trying to be funny. go away.

yankees26mlb
07-11-2005, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by PSOmasterX77:
assclown I think you're just a dumbass trying to be funny. go away. couldnt have said it better myself. His user name describes what he is being

BevNET
07-11-2005, 07:49 AM
That's a stupid nonsense explanation.

No legitimate educational insitution would allow what you are describing.

Christian Prickett
07-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by BevNET:
That's a stupid nonsense explanation.

No legitimate educational institution would allow what you are describing. I agree. This is like calling in a bomb threat to a football game and seeing how many people stay till the end of the game and how many buy the threat and run.

Also isn't what you claim you did the same thing as f'ing up public property? If you did do your project like you said it would have to be approved by a professor. No professor is going to allow you to ruin another person's work (or website) without their permission just for your study.

Yet another lie that is posted on BevNet.

Hollow Man
07-11-2005, 03:27 PM
At least they've finally been banned.

But seriously guys, stop feeding the trolls. You're simply playing into their hands by continuing to reply in their threads. This guy is the definition of troll personified - pretending to be pushing one agenda, but in fact just disguising his intent, causing people to post endless amounts of angry replies.

Yes, I realize I'm feeding it now as well, but it stops here for me.

-HM

mjb1124
07-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by PSOmasterX77:
assclown I think you're just a dumbass trying to be funny. go away. No, he was being an assclown ;)

I'm glad that these characters have been banned. However, I also think that some of the offending threads should be locked or deleted to prevent any more "troll feeding".

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Me too.

Half of the now-active threads are ones started years ago, and I really don't feel like contributing to them.

Let's keep it fresh, people! :cool:

Mr Zabe
07-11-2005, 05:07 PM
I'm doing my Happy Dance.
It's cool to see everyone brain storm on keeping this board fresh and on topic.

Like I said before, I can live with any change or rules to keep this message board the way it should be, a home away from home.

Here is the first round of bevy's to start the evening off. :D