PDA

View Full Version : Almond Cola

assclown
08-14-2002, 04:42 PM
Color me stupid, but a cola with distinct almond notes might be damned tasty. Coke doesn't have the testicles to take such a risk, but RC or one of the other also-rans might benefit from such an experiment.

gus with the big willy
08-18-2002, 09:12 PM
Kroger has a private label walnut cola.

Shatter
08-19-2002, 01:29 PM
Really? I've worked for Kroger for 16 years and i've never seen it. What's it called and where does it say it's bottled?

All of our store's Big K drinks are bottled in Irving, TX. You know when you're getting close to the plant, because the trees are all dead..... there's always vultures circling the building..... plus there's that big dark cloud hanging over it 24 hours a day..... did I mention the deep evil spectral voice saying 'Leave this place' when you enter the parking lot? Actually, i've only driven past the place, don't really know much about it. The thing is, I see the way Kroger stores are run, and therefore I don't trust anything made by the company. With management this bad, they can't manufacture anything good. That's just me, I guess.

gus with the big willy
08-20-2002, 11:06 AM
:D smile.gif :D smile.gif :D smile.gif :D smile.gif

assclown
08-20-2002, 05:04 PM
I hate Kroger. Andronicos and Trader Joes rock the Assclown house.

House!

Ron Swedelson
08-21-2002, 12:01 AM
I don't like trader Joes, just not my type of place. One of the biggest chains to piss of a dist., they usually want an all or nothing, direct thing. I don't like shopping there, and Andronicos doesnt carry Bawls, but I do like their stores...great beer section. Andronicos said KMX is their second best selling caffinated drink, and they don't want to look at Bawls anytime soon.

assclown
09-23-2002, 02:28 PM
Nobody goes to TJ's for the sodas. I go to Yum for that.

Technocratic
10-04-2002, 12:57 AM
FYI.. there is a cream soda.. Tommyknockers.. that has an Almond Creme flaver.. and it happens to be my favorite soda! I've only seen it in Harris Teeter supermarket in Florence SC... I live in Asheville NC, so whenever I get to Florence I buy all they have!

although I can get Herbal Dr. Enuf (my #2 favorite) right down the street so that helps smile.gif

Ron Swedelson
10-04-2002, 12:51 PM
Tommy Knockers tastes like it has metal inside it. I think you read the ingredients wrong. Its Aluminum Cola.

yumsoda
10-04-2002, 01:12 PM
We just some Dr. Enuf in and the gang and I had some fun doing an energy drink tasting.

I gotta admit I like the Dr. Enuf better than I had expected and the bottle is very fun. It'll be in good company with the other energy drinks.

In case anyone's interested, the favorites of the tasting were Bawls, Lolli's Cherry Pop and AfriCola. (And the tasting helped me re-set SodaLand :D )

(An aside to AssClown: thanks for the kind words. We'll keep on trying to do good by our Customers. tongue.gif )

fusion
10-04-2002, 10:29 PM
I have seen Tommyknocker's at Le Mart Du K. $2.19 for a 4pk.. 5 or so flavors.

xJABBERWOCKx
10-08-2002, 11:48 AM
Well, there was that "Nutz" beverage line that was sadly discontinued (or maybe not; i never actually tried it).
The cafe Medici in Hyde Park, Chicago makes a mean ice cream float with Almond soda. I love it.
And of course, there are those italian syrups you can buy to add to seltzer. they have almond and many other flavors.

Windmill
10-08-2002, 05:15 PM
I like Tommyknocker's Almond Cream. Kind of like drinking an angel food cake. Reminds me of Jones Cream Soda. Bought it at Super Target in Birmingham, AL.

assclown
10-30-2002, 05:14 PM
Almond is an excellent soda flavor. Maybe I should make my own...

gus with the big willy
07-07-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by gus with the big willy:
Kroger has a private label walnut cola.Hey Shatter it was a JOKE!!!!

steveu
07-07-2003, 06:37 PM
wow, you took almost 11 months to reply to shatter

gus with the big willy
07-08-2003, 12:32 PM
No not almost 11 months to reply. I just brought this up because yesterday he made reference to this post in another topic.

Shatter
07-08-2003, 11:58 PM
Huh. I just assumed you were telling the truth. I can imagine Kroger making something like that. Since Texas has such a large hispanic population, our local Big K plant used to make a lot of hispanic-style drinks, like Tamarind. Something like that wouldn't sell anywhere else in the country. If Kroger's other plants made other strange flavors, it wouldn't suprise me at all.

USF SPAMMER 3
07-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Almond would be a weird flavour for a soda.

BottleBoss
07-11-2005, 08:51 AM
Has anyone seen Rock Creek Almond Smash around anymore?

Hacksaw
07-11-2005, 09:48 PM
I had some Coke with Torani Orgeat mixed in. It was great! I saw that recipe in a Non-Alcoholic drink book.

treetoptom
06-19-2006, 10:14 AM
BottleBoss - This is late to the conversation, but I bought a 2L bottle of Suburban (not Rock Creek, which bottled Cherry Smash) Almond Smash at the MARS grocery store on US 40 West in Ellicott City. They had it and the Suburban Golden Ginger Ale for 99 cents/bottle. I've also seen the Suburban brand of sodas at other MARS stores and at Walgreens in Baltimore County. They are bottled by one of the local Pepsico bottlers. I have the bottle icing down here at work and I'm going to treat my co-workers to a "blast from the past" once it gets chilly.

[ 06-19-2006, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: treetoptom ]

treetoptom
06-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Glad to report the Almond Smash was just as good as the bottles of my youth. Very tart cherry taste with a distinctly smooth almond finish. Still a quality, refreshing drink for only 99 cents a bottle. Four stars out of five.

Cheer-wined
07-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Someone brought me these from a trip to Bethesda MD - the Suburban was bought at the local Mars supermarket. It has been 30 years since I've tried almond smash - I used to find it in the Tidewater VA area during summer vacations. Still tastes good, like Cheerwine with less carbonation and a hint of almond.
The Rock Creek kola was pretty good too, even for a cheap brand. Haven't tried the cherry smash yet.
http://home.triad.rr.com/coolmoon/MD_sodas.jpg

pitch_spice
07-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Perhaps you may be interested in buying some of that almond syrup that coffeehouses use with their drinks?

the saint
07-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Is the rock creek a CS brand? It appears to be a CS bottle.

treetoptom
07-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Good eye. Rock Creek is a Canada Dry Potomac product.