PDA

View Full Version : Key Limes

assclown
08-14-2002, 04:43 PM
Has anybody gotten all soda-like with this perrenial pie favorite?

bigrich
08-14-2002, 10:04 PM
I believe Stewarts had a Key Lime. It was OK.

assclown
08-14-2002, 10:06 PM
I think a key lime / meyer lemon upscale Sprite thing could be dope.

Shatter
08-16-2002, 08:41 PM
Wet Planet's web site says they have a Key Lime Pirate's Keg soda, but the Pirate's Keg web site doesn't list it. I wonder what's going on there.

assclown
08-20-2002, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure Chemosabie!

yumsoda
08-20-2002, 07:58 PM
We have the Stewarts Key Lime soda. Great color. Too bad that it doesn't really taste like my favorite pie.

Meyer Lemon, huh? As much as I love things Meyer Lemon-y, I'm worried that this soda might get beat up by the other sodas for being too Californian. smile.gif

yumsoda
08-20-2002, 07:59 PM
I'll take my Meyer Lemons in Charbay Vodka instead. ;)

assclown
08-21-2002, 07:10 PM
If I ever can afford a house, I'm going to plant a meyer lemon tree, a kaffir lime tree, and an uglifruit grove.

Shatter
08-22-2002, 02:10 AM
Root 66 made a Key Lime soda, but just discontinued it.

sodasommelier
08-23-2002, 12:51 AM
We sell a ton of Pirate's Keg Key Lime! I think it's better than Stewart's and it's cool to get a Key Lime made by a smaller company. And anyway, who historically sailed the Florida Keys most often in the past? Pirates or people named "Stewart"???? :D

Orangeman
08-28-2002, 09:25 AM
SS-
Robert Clemente was a (Pittsburgh) Pirate.
When he was a kid, his father was friendly with a baseball scout named Eduardo, whose second cousin once removed was a fisherman named (you guessed it) Stewart.
So, your argument holds no (bilge) water.
Not incidently, Stewart (the fisherman) used to deliver shrimp to a restaurant in the Dominican Republic where, many years later, Kyra Sedgewick had dinner, and Kyra Sedgewick is married to Kevin Bacon, and this being LA, all stories must have a six-degrees from Kevin Bacon angle.

Orangeman
08-28-2002, 09:27 AM
By the way . . .
Key Lime is one of Stewart's best sellers.
It even outsells some of the more "traditional" flavors!

assclown
08-31-2002, 10:57 PM
A kaffir lime soda could be kicky.

Cocio
09-02-2002, 07:29 PM
Canada Dry has a Lime soda, I don't like it.

Tried Root 66's, you can still get it in Philly, but, it's old and tastes old.

cbltblue
09-02-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Cocio:
Canada Dry has a Lime soda, I don't like it.

Tried Root 66's, you can still get it in Philly, but, it's old and tastes old.Believe it or not, Canada Dry's Island Lime is one of my favorite sodas, but it's getting harder and harder to find. I guess with all of the new flavors coming out from the larger companies, vendors are scrambling for space and I imagine that the slower sellers go first.

GrapeCrush
09-03-2002, 05:28 PM
What in the name of Aunt Jemima is a meyer lemon? How does it compare to a normal lemon? Is it similar to the one that you make limoncello out of in that you can easily eat it?

I have only seen Stewart's key lime, and I think a lemon meringue soda by them as well. Never had either. Personally, I think lemon-lime is a tired combo which I no longer like (and is a particularly nasty variant of Koolaid or Wyler's), but I love Fanta Lemon!!! I'd like to try a lime soda.

[ 09-03-2002, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: GrapeCrush ]

yumsoda
09-03-2002, 10:53 PM
They're 2 very different fruits; in fact, there's some debate as to whether the Meyer lemon is even really a lemon. The way I understand it is....

Classically, Sicilian lemons are used to make yummy limoncello (a whole 'nother section of the BevBoard). Silician lemons are a close cousin to (but with, as GrapeCrush has pointed out, a more palatable taste than) the Eureka lemons we find in our supermarkets.

Meyer lemons were largely ignored for the first 75-100 years here in the States, thought only suitable for yards as ornamental shrubs. Some botanists think that they're really a hybrid between an orange and a lemon that somehow came over from China. They're typically rounder than your standard Eureka's with a smoother, thinner, slightly more orangey skin and a unique flavor. They grew quite well here in California.

Some 25 years ago, the experimental chefs who created "California Cuisine" actually tasted the fruit from these ornamental trees, fell in love with the lemony-orangey flesh and started using them in everything (I'm guilty, too) and now we're seeing some local vodkas (Charbay, Hanger One) infused with Meyer lemons.

Sorry if this is way too much; I'm just trying to be helpful. smile.gif

GrapeCrush
09-05-2002, 11:28 AM
No apology necessary!!! That was a wonderfully complete response. smile.gif I'm now very eager to hunt this fruit out, and try a beverage made from it. :D

Thanks for your response. Geez, I love the internet!!!!! The things ya learn!

BottleBoss
09-05-2002, 12:39 PM
HHhmmmmm, Very stange.
I have never seen a group of people so interested in Key Lime soda! smile.gif This reminds me of all those peach soda posts a few months ago. I have had Stewarts Key Lime- very sweet, but not bad. I loved Root 66 Key Lime- not too sweet, good when we were working outside on a hot day, very refreshing. I must have been the only person who liked it though, as I have heard they stopped making it.

boilermaker
09-09-2002, 11:24 AM
Now, is a key lime only a key lime if grown in the Florida keys? I've noticed Mexican key limes in the local grocery stores lately.

Cocio
09-09-2002, 06:07 PM
If a Key Lime falls off the tree and no one is around...Does it make any noise?

boodoo
09-10-2002, 08:42 PM
Or maybe, just maybe, the tree falls on the key lime! How about that noise?

GrapeCrush
09-11-2002, 08:03 AM
What if a key lime had a humanesque complement of nerves. What would it feel like for it to be juiced? or shaved for its peel?

BottleBoss
09-11-2002, 02:18 PM
I know what happened when the stewarts key lime in the glass bottle fell off the shelf at Wally-Mart. It shattered and made a big ole' mess! (I wasn't there when it happened so I don't know if it made a sound.)

assclown
09-23-2002, 02:20 PM
I would be happy with some key lime syrup so I can burn my own sodas.

T.I.A.
12-04-2002, 11:37 PM
I'm new here, so sorry if it's taboo to post on a thread more than two months after the last post.

The store where I work (in Charlottesville) has always carried Root 66. The Key Lime soda, in my opinion, wasn't too good. A lot of it had to do with our local distributor who I suspect was holding product too long. We frequently got flat sodas from them.... they are no longer in business.

Roadside Beverages has now taken over distribution of their product (at least in our local area) and have introduced several new flavors. They have new grape and orange sodas which are both good, especially the orange. I usually can't tolerate orange sodas, but I liked this. IIRC, they plan to introduce a ginger ale sometime in the future. They did discontinue their Vanilla Creme and Key Lime and while they are not planning on bringing back the Key Lime at this time, they are not ruling out bringing back the Vanilla Creme in some form. All this info is according to our salesman.

I am pleased with the Root 66 Diet Root Beer. It is sweetened with Splenda and while it still tastes diet, the taste is not bad.

We also carry the Stewart's Key Lime, and I love it. I think my account is pretty similar to the BevNet review... creamy start with a tart finish. I just love that first sip.

Dan

Hacksaw
12-08-2002, 11:16 PM
Stewart's Key Lime was kind of weak tasting. I love that Whooppee Lemon-Lime, though, great stuff. Makes other lemon-limes look weak.

rox56
01-26-2003, 02:40 AM
Steap Soda (organic, all natural, green tea soda) is a new product that I just tasted at the SF FFood Show. They had about 6 flavors...Key Lime was one of them. Thought it was excellent! Nice bottles, too!

newage
01-30-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by assclown:
Has anybody gotten all soda-like with this perrenial pie favorite?Tasted that new Steap soda (finally)...the green tea stuff...their key lime was really good

rox56
01-31-2003, 11:33 AM
Am looking for Steap. Where did you find it?

newage
02-04-2003, 11:11 PM
Yeh..found some Steap Soda (found 6 flavors) at this health food store in Ohio called Health Foods Unlimited...great store...that's where I bought the bottle of Key Lime smile.gif

Jon Marc Skink
04-14-2003, 05:53 PM
To me, green tea tastes like water with a green tint in it!

USF SPAMMER 1
07-04-2005, 11:23 PM
You go girl!