PDA

View Full Version : Diet cola + Mentos = ... ?

fusion
06-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Watch the video and see for yourself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNgl6z5Z7k4

Mr Nethead
06-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Wow! LOL. That is cool.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
06-12-2006, 11:20 PM
It's amazing how a mix of Coke and mentos can do that, like a geiser or a volcano... and there's a lot of videos doing that experiment on the internet... specially at Google video

But a video that is becoming really famous here in Mexico... is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90luWQk6-SY

[ 06-12-2006, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
06-12-2006, 11:50 PM
i just did that withmy friend earlier. its cool

popologist
06-12-2006, 11:50 PM
wow!

Cherry7Up
06-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Yea, they demonstrated on the Today show a few months ago. Crazy.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
06-12-2006, 11:56 PM
and if you pour a lil bit out, and drop them in and quickly slap the cap on, then throw it hard cap-first against cement, it will blow off and the bottle will fly off like a rocket. it worked for me, but it flew straight into me, lol

Mr Zabe
06-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Gee what a waste of good soda pop. LOLOLOLOL
That was pretty darn funny!

Cherry7Up
06-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Rob The SURGE Drinker:
and if you pour a lil bit out, and drop them in and quickly slap the cap on, then throw it hard cap-first against cement, it will blow off and the bottle will fly off like a rocket. it worked for me, but it flew straight into me, lol Remember about 10 years ago during a Christmas party, my mother was opening a new bottle of Cherry 7up and she went to take the cap off and it shot off and nearly hit her in the eye. Most hilarious thing...ever.

[ 06-13-2006, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Cherry7Up ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
06-13-2006, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Gee what a waste of good soda pop. LOLOLOLOL
That was pretty darn funny! ehh, i wouldnt call diet coke a GOOD soda... i wouldnt of done it with like coke zero or anything

Originally posted by Cherry7Up:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rob The SURGE Drinker:
and if you pour a lil bit out, and drop them in and quickly slap the cap on, then throw it hard cap-first against cement, it will blow off and the bottle will fly off like a rocket. it worked for me, but it flew straight into me, lol Remember about 10 years ago during a Christmas party, my mother was opening a new bottle of Cherry 7up and the she went to take the cap off and it shot off and nearly hit her in the eye. Most hilarious thing...ever. </font>[/QUOTE]thats why it has a warning label on all DPSU 20oz products here

[ 06-12-2006, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Rob The SURGE Drinker ]

yankees26mlb
06-13-2006, 01:53 AM
it was cool when I first saw this little experiment, but now its kind of overdone. Everyone all over the web is trying it...

Android
06-13-2006, 04:04 AM
I remember having a sugar craving big time one day at work years ago. All I had was Diet Pepsi, and that wasn't good enough. So I thought, well I'll just add some sugar to this....

It didn't quite do what the 2liter bottles do with Mentos, but it did react strongly. All the carbonation went bye-bye and what was left tasted, uhh, not good. I'd have been better off eating the sugar raw.

Oh, about the DPSU warnings on their labels - I've always wondered who must have sued DPSU at some point about caps popping off. Someone must have had to at some point or they'd not be using that disclaimer on them. I'm surprised some gold-digger type hasn't tried to get a Pepsi or Coke product to pop it's lid on them so they can sue for big bucks....

-Andy

drpep
06-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Android:
about the DPSU warnings on their labels - I've always wondered who must have sued DPSU at some point about caps popping off. Someone must have had to at some point or they'd not be using that disclaimer on them. I'm surprised some I can not remember the details but I believe it was the late 70's early 80's and involved a bottle of 7-UP.

popologist
06-17-2006, 07:08 AM
i actually saw this experiment done on a cable news channel this week. they used diet coke and mentos in front of a live audience and... va-voom! it worked just like the video link above.

what causes that to happen, exactly?

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-17-2006, 01:33 PM
i've had dr pepper caps fly off and hit me in the eyebrow before.

i put sour patch kids (the chewy candy you can buy at a movie theater) into a 20oz pet bottle of orange crush and the damn thing slowly erupted, like a hawaiian volcano.

Doug
06-17-2006, 03:38 PM
I suppose baking soda would also do the trick, but that's a nice video

drpep
06-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Any soda will work, we used Faygo today at work.

fusion
08-22-2006, 11:32 PM
So, some guy decided to try the experiment.. IN HIS MOUTH.

warning, kind of gross.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFf-kW1E0Tc

iluvsurge220
09-07-2006, 10:35 PM
It was pretty fun!! I tried it with some of my friends and it was pretty cool. We are gonna have to build a funnel or something to see if we can get it to shoot up higher next time though!!

fusion
09-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Now, an invention to make the geyser shoot even higher, and it also helps to keep you from getting wet.

Geyser Tube at Steve Spangler Science (http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/2072)

Mr Zabe
09-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Does the kit come with eye trauma insurance? LOL
Anyone for playing dual five yard lawn darts. LMAO

Rob The SURGE Drinker
09-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Now, an invention to make the geyser shoot even higher, and it also helps to keep you from getting wet.

Geyser Tube at Steve Spangler Science (http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/2072)
I just saw that on Food TV...