PDA

View Full Version : Coke & HFCS

Startup Dude
05-17-2004, 02:02 PM
I been wondering for a while now, how did Coke managed replacing cane sugar with HFCS in the '80s, taste wise? Consumer didn’t notice the difference in taste? Was the ingredient switch done at the same time it introduced 'New Coke'? How did Pepsi manage the switch? Anyone can recall how this was done?

In my opinion, the taste difference between HFCS and cane sugar is quite dramatic.

karks88
05-17-2004, 03:20 PM
I'm definitely not the authority on this but from what I remember Coke of course came out with "New Coke", which had HFCS and at the same time discontinued the "Real Coke" which used cane sugar.

As those of us who were alive at that time will remember, this was a huge deal. Nobody could believe that Coke got rid of their original formula and consumers were angry. So, Coke decides to bring back the "original", but quietly replacing sugar with HFCS. I can't recall how people reacted other than they were happy to see the newly named Coke Classic back. I noticed a difference in the taste and I'm sure a lot of other people did as well.

Since I've been coming to the BevBoard I've heard some people say that maybe Coke had planned this debacle all along so that they could more easily get rid of the cane sugar. I tend to believe that more than the old story of Coke just completely underestimating what the public wanted.

Startup Dude
05-18-2004, 08:51 AM
Thanks karks88. After the fact, we can certainly qualify Coke as marketing geniuses for pulling such a stunt (I think machiavellic is a better description).

How & when did Pepsi introduce HFCS in its beverages?

karks88
05-20-2004, 10:34 AM
You're welcome! As for Pepsi, I'm not sure when/how they made the switch. Anyone have details on that?

Android
05-21-2004, 05:41 AM
Coke started swithing from cane sugar to HFCS before the New Coke fiasco. It was during 1980 that Coke started blending cane sugar with corn syrup and by the time new Coke came around in 1985 I think they had switched all the way over to HFCS. Pepsi started the same process beginning in 1983

andy

Energydude
05-21-2004, 10:20 AM
A sad day. It is one of the few examples I have seen that they know they can make it a better by using better ingredients and don't. HFCS is nutritional garbage and we all know it! Use REAL CANE SUGAR !!!! MAKE YOUR PRODUCT BETTER!!!

It's a shame any time I see a child drink that garbage.