PDA

View Full Version : Diet Rite Zero

jmyjunk
07-08-2005, 06:37 PM
just saw a 12 pack today at King Soopers in Boulder.

It's the splenda versionof Diet Rite. Has anyone tried it yet?
The packagning is a kind of lame, blue, and it has 0 carbs, 0 calories, 0 blah, blah blah.

I'm not a fan of splenda, so I'll probably give it a miss.

jmyjunk
07-08-2005, 06:39 PM
So... Another Zero thread!
Sorry!!

Mr Zabe
07-08-2005, 06:46 PM
Diet Rite with Slenda has been on the market for close to two years? Diet Rite was the firt soda pop (please correct me if I am wrong) brand to use Splenda.

I brought a 12 pk of Diet Right when it came out.
I did not finish the first can and the other 11 cans were donated to the trash. LOL

jmyjunk
07-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Ok, I've never been a diet rite fan either! How ever, the 12 pack looks new, and they are calling it Zero. I've been looking on line for it with no luck.
Yup, their getting on the Zero bandwagon too.

Mr Zabe
07-08-2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the heads up.
I used to dig Diet Right before they messed with it. They had a nice selection of flavors. Now just the sight of Diet Right gets me feeling ill.

So now Diet Right is in the Zero business. LOL

[ 07-08-2005, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

The Interpreter
07-08-2005, 08:42 PM
I will be most interested in seeing the reaction, and I think there WILL be one, from Coca-Cola's lawyers...

Android
07-08-2005, 10:01 PM
I saw the new packaging in Fort Collins a couple of days ago, but I guess I didn't see the name of it the way you did. I noticed it had new graphics, plus the "0 Carbs, 0 Caffiene, 0 calories" stuff, but must have missed where the product was called Diet Rite Zero. Diet RC and Diet Rite I think both switched to Splenda about the same time, and they were the first major soft drinks to do so. Too bad neither of them taste very good to me.

andy

Robot
07-08-2005, 10:56 PM
saw the new packaging too, and it looked really weird, and also odd they went with ZERO , considering Coca Cola's been using that with their beverages..

i enjoy diet RC and diet rite cola alot, in fact for a while I was heavily addicted to the diet rite cola.. for some reason i stopped drinking it, but may pick some up again, it has no caffeine nor any sodium, and still tastes good IMO..

riot
07-09-2005, 03:50 AM
i see that the 'zero phenomeno' is spreading... (evil laugh)

the saint
07-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Actually Diet Rite has had the "zero carbs, zero sodium, zero calories" on their packaging for at least 15 years. Only now has the wording been displayed more prominatly than before. As far as a reaction form cocacolas lawyers, Does coke "own" the word zero? I personally have been using the word zero well for 35 years does this mean coke is going to sue me also? what about the people generations ago who came up with the idea of starting the numerical system with zero, are the lawyers for coke going to sue their families??

Robot
07-10-2005, 02:00 PM
I am sure using ZERO in connection with a diet cola could be copyrighted/patented/something in some way, whether or not it held up in court, is another thing..

and using the word zero yourself, and having one diet cola named "COLANAME ZERO" and then other cola doing the same thing, are two different things.

the saint
07-10-2005, 03:01 PM
The same thing happened a long time ago when coke tried to sue pepsi over the use of the word COLA, they did not win then and I am sure they would NOT win this time if in fact they tried to bring any legal action. but as I said diet rite has been using the word "zero" on their packaging for at least 15 years so maybe they should sue coke..

Robot
07-10-2005, 03:29 PM
actually in copyright law I dont think the usage of ZERO to describe nutritional content on packaging versus "zero" being part of a name would be anything similar... but i could be wrong.

the saint
07-10-2005, 04:03 PM
I do not believe the name was changed to "diet rite zero" the zero is still being used to describe the carbs calories and sodium. die hard coke people think that the name was changed to copy their sodas newest venture because afterall coke does do everything first don't they?

Robot
07-10-2005, 06:05 PM
no, the name has definately been changed, along with the entire look and logo..

its "diet rite zero" and then it says cola smaller nearby

Look In The Tunk
07-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by the saint:
because afterall coke does do everything first don't they? And Wal Mart will follow and Wegmans (we don't have wegmans here, but my friends tell me that they copy every new soda)

the saint
07-11-2005, 08:46 AM
Doesn't seem to say anything about a name change on their website. I would think that they would mention that they are going to/ have already change(d) their name.
I am full aware of the graphic change on their packaging. Pepsi recently added the word "si'" to some of their packaging, but that doesn't mean that the name of the product is now "Pepsi Si'".

The Truth
07-11-2005, 10:39 AM
DIET RITE ZERO IT IS. Was planned before coke zero was announced. Had to get rid of old packaging.

jmyjunk
07-11-2005, 11:22 AM
I just double checked at the store yesterday. It is called Diet Rite Pure Zero. It was only on the cardboard 12 pack, and not the cans as of yet(if at all)

XLS_04
07-12-2005, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by The Truth:
DIET RITE ZERO IT IS. Was planned before coke zero was announced. Had to get rid of old packaging. why did they HAVE to get rid of old packaging?

the saint
07-12-2005, 08:35 AM
I don't see it as the name was changed. It is a description of the product. The packaging says
Diet Rite
Pure Zero
cola. I see it as a description that it is a "pure zero" cola same as "low calorie" or "low fat" or "No trans fat" "no sugar added" that you see on alot of other items. Just because the words are on there doesn't mean that the name has changed

jmyjunk
07-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by the saint:
I don't see it as the name was changed. It is a description of the product. The packaging says
Diet Rite
Pure Zero
cola. I see it as a description that it is a "pure zero" cola same as "low calorie" or "low fat" or "No trans fat" "no sugar added" that you see on alot of other items. Just because the words are on there doesn't mean that the name has changed But to average joe six pack, who see Diet Rite Pure Zero on the store shelves, it looks like a name change. I though it was a name change when I walked passed it. Its Marketing.

Look In The Tunk
07-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Here's my photos of the new packaging:

http://photos22.flickr.com/26009110_6ab0055b07_o.jpg

http://photos21.flickr.com/26009111_306ce1819b_o.jpg

Feh, I liked the old logo better.

XLS_04
07-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the pics this logo is not bad but the previous logo is better, wonder why they changed it only after 2-3 years?

ramonazo
07-15-2005, 12:31 AM
I've just looked the available flavors of Diet Rite on the website. Golden Peach, Tangerine, White Grape, Red Raspberry and Kiwi Strawberry flavors look tasty.. isn't it?

[ 07-15-2005, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

Look In The Tunk
07-15-2005, 12:38 AM
My mom used to practically force me to drink the white grape flavor growing up. It was nasty. (apparently I didn't love diet coke as I do now, and I guess diet a&w wasn't plentiful back then)

I think I had kiwi once a few years ago, and it was bad too.

I drink diet colas (diet rite, diet coke, diet a&w) not diet fake fruit flavored soda junk. That's a good description for the other Diet Rite flavors.

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-15-2005, 08:08 AM
Interesting you should mention it, Anita...

Diet Rite white grape was all that was around in the house when I was a kid, so I forced myself to drink it.

I'm pretty sure that if I tried it today, the emotional response would prevent me from finishing it.

SEV

Mr Zabe
07-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Funny,
I was forced fed TAB as a kid because it was the first diet soft drink and my Mom was wanted to cut calories.

I took a taste of TAB several years ago and nearly made a donation to my domestic sewer hole.
It tasted (even with reformulation) like a "Cybil" like torchering gone bad.

[ 07-15-2005, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

billygtexas
07-16-2005, 04:53 PM
The old logo was fine - unless sales are slumping Diet Rite doesnt need a logo change. I tried several Diet Rites last year, and I thought they all tasted watered down, almost like flavored water except carbonated.

Thats one thing I have noticed about all of Cadbury-Schweppes diet sodas with Splenda. If they are using Splenda they are not using much. They didnt do Diet 7UP any favors by switching to Splenda, now it really does taste like Alka-Selzer!

Or Splenda & Carbonated Water = bland taste.

The only diet soda I could stand in the 70's pre-apsertame days was Diet Dr. Pepper. The saccharin mixed with the classic DP flavorings gave the drink a nice "bite" and mixed out the aftertaste. I still drink it now though the taste with Sucralose/Ace-K blend isnt as bitter.

Now I'm wondering if Cadbury-Schweppes plan to go all-Splenda with Diet Dr. Pepper. RC and 7Up have it now, so I bet its in the plans.

[ 07-16-2005, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

Mr Zabe
07-16-2005, 06:01 PM
I pray that they leave Diet Dr Pepper alone.
Diet Dr Pepper in my view is perhaps the best tasting pre-splenda diet pops ever. No other diet soda pop has ever been produced that just about tastes as good or better than it sugar big brother. :D

Coke04
07-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Ugh. I like DC w/ Splenda, but Diet Rite has the WORST Splenda aftertaste ever.

ryaxnb
07-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Diet Rite sucks. It has no caffeine or sodium so it tastes bad.

ecliptic
07-26-2005, 01:32 AM
Splenda needs sodium to cut its taste. Diet Rite is has none. I recommend all Splenda companies to use higher ammounts of sodium.

Want your Diet Rite to taste good? Eat some salty pork rinds or potato chips with it. smile.gif

[ 07-26-2005, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: ecliptic ]

BottleBoss
08-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Is it still nasty tasting?

RunWithDaLilGuy
08-02-2005, 10:23 AM
diet rite still same old packaging here.