PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call

dr pepperman
04-27-2001, 07:51 PM
I stole this idea from another board. Tell everyone about yourself. Name, location, age, job, favorite/nonfavorite sodas, whatever you want to share.
My name is Brian. I live in Corning, NY 36yrs, work in the grocery business and as my screen name shows like anything to do with Dr Pepper, and anything that combines soda and Nascar or other forms of auto racing.

------------------
PEPPER UP AT 10,2 and 4.
I am not affiliated with any beverage company!!!
Frosty Man, Frosty.

[This message has been edited by dr pepperman (edited 04-27-2001).]

sodasommelier
04-28-2001, 02:23 AM
OK... my name is Danny, 36 years old; have a huge collection of bottle caps and consequently always have loved bottled beverages. I live in Palos Verdes which is a suburb of Los Angeles, California. I am involved in the beverage industry because when I started nobody else was pushing bottled sodas; hence the name of my business Real Soda In Real Bottles. The reason I push what I sell is that I sell everything I like and fight against the junk I don't like. So I'm somewhat controversial with the apparatchiks and propagandists and megacompanies but that's how it goes when you set your own course...

------------------
Always remember... Don't follow the can drinkers to the chicken bone recycling bin!

SamC
04-29-2001, 09:29 AM
Real name is formed out of username. Live right on the Ohio River, about 2 1/2 hours SE of Columbus, on the WV side. Mid-30s. Government paper-pusher, not involved in soda industry, except as a stock holder. Family was in the grocery business when I was a kid, got my love for the stuff back then.

Honestly like Coca-Cola. Dispise Pepsi. Dispise people who say they are the same even more.

Collect genuine Coca-Cola and Coke flavors ad material, not the made for retail stuff currently produced, but genuine ad favors from previous generations. Also collect Coke in bottles from all over the world.

Like NASCAR.

Ron Swedelson
04-30-2001, 02:03 AM
My screen name is my real name. Many people asked why I used my real name. Simple answer, I never have and never will hide behind anything. So when I say things, people know exactly who it is comming from. I am 21 years old. Ive been in the sales game since June 15 1998. I love being a salesman (difference between sales and order taking. Coke, pepsi, bud, red bull, etc. order takers)I live in beautiful San Ramon California. I love the small companies. Im currently a manager for Jones Soda Company. Ironic if you know of my old posts. Had a falling out, but my love for the product kept me in the sales game. I love battling with Danny cause he knows whats going on in the bev. world, we just go head to head over Jones products. I love selling, but my sales day will come to an end within the next few years as I leave to become a San Francisco Police Officer. Only thing I love more than sales, is the law. Another reason I can't stay in sales. I hate the Sales-Whores. The guys who change jobs every 9 months for the better pay or the new product. I couldnt look in the mirror if I did that to my self. Its all about doing what you believe in no matter how hard it may be.

boodoo
04-30-2001, 10:20 AM
Kind of nice to see how the blanks get filled in.

My name is Dale, I am 42 and live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I have been in the beverage business since I was 17. I started loading trucks after school at the local (and locally owned) Coca-Cola Bottling Company. I have worked as both a supplier and distributor of many different non-alcoholic beverages. I have a premium beverage sales and distribution company in what we call the "metroplex".

My true joy in life is my family. We view life as a journey of adventures.

"The credit in life goes not to the critic who stands on the sideline and points where the strong stumble but rather the credit in life goes to the man who is actually in the arena. Who's face may get marred by sweat and dust, who knows great enthusiasm and great devotion and learns to spend himself in a worthy cause. Who at best, if he wins, will know the thrill of high achievement and if he fails at least fails while daring greatly. So that in life his place will never be with those very cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat".

surgefeedtherush
04-30-2001, 12:54 PM
Hi,
My real name is Avery Lund. I'm 16 and attend a highschool in the city I live in, St. Paul Minnesota.I love biking, snowboarding, hard/alt. rock, I don't work for a bev. company (yet). I really dislike Pepsi. I would really like to finda a job working for a local indie bottler or even Coke. My love is Surge, but i also adore, Jolt, Afri-Cola, Pure Cane Coke, Citra, Kick, Rc and RC Edge, Jones Green Apple, A&W Rootbeer, I enjoy everything to do with beverages and am seeking work in that field. I also enjoy Radio both in production and as an on air personality. I play with the St. Paul Honors Orchestra and enjoy it tremendously.I enjoy talking and learning about everything. I hate being insulted by ads or companies in general just becouse I'm a teen. Pepsi does lots of that.

-Avery

FitzgeraldHead
04-30-2001, 06:04 PM
My real name is Chuck Heeren, not Fitzgerald; I get that question all of the time. I am also 16, and also hate the discrimination of teens. Now, as I grow older, I have more respect and it hasn't been much of a problem. I attend Brookwood Hish School and I'm in the drumline their. I'm a captain of the bass drums. I also like guitar, biking, and hiking. I would love to try other stuff like skiing and snow/ice biking, but that brings up my next point. I live in the Atlanta Metropolitan Area and am a Gwinnettian. I love different beverages, not the normal Coke and Pepsi, but if I must, I will still drink them, well, at least Coke. I prefer RC, Nehi flavors, Upper 10, Sun Drop, Frostie flavors, and of course Cheerwine. As far as my future, I am interested in activism, meteorology, and beverages. I also love the cities of Sioux Falls, SD, Atlanta, GA, and Minneapolis, MN. I would love to see Chicago. As far as music, I listen to just about anything, except country. I may be a Southerner, but I'm no hard core country folk. That's about all i can muster up at the moment.

FitzgeraldHead
04-30-2001, 06:06 PM
ouch, i probably should have proofread

jerryinmich
05-01-2001, 10:06 AM
OK, here goes. I live in northern Michigan and am a sales manager for a Beer, Wine and Soda distributor. Been in the business for about 25 years (I'm 45). Have been at my current employer for about 15 years. My primary responsibility is Wine, but all our managers are involved with all the products we carry. Having been in the beverage business my whole adult life, I guess you can say I'm hooked. I really enjoy this board and find it to be usefull to get everybodys opinion. Even though I don't always agree with the opinions here, I think everybodys posts are valuable. I'm glad to see some younger members here who one day hope to be in this business and will add some fresh thinking that we need. Also like to see all the posts from those that are not in this business, you add alot to this forum. I guess I'm doomed to the fact that wherever I go, first thing I do is check out the beverage isle....

blair
05-01-2001, 02:34 PM
My name is Blair Matthews, and I'm from Kitchener, Ontario (Canada). I'm 27 years old, a college journalism graduate, and I now publish a soda collecting newsletter called Soda Pop Dreams (www.sodapopdreams.org). The newsletter has been around for just over 3 years and has subscribers in 48 of 50 US states and 6 Canadian provinces.

I'm also a collector of: 8 oz. Coca-Cola bottles, anything related to The Pop Shoppe, and also test market soda cans/bottles. My favorite cans are Hubba-Bubba, OK soda, and the plastic Coca-Cola cans from a while back.

I love tracing the history of old beverage companies, as well as watching how the beverage industry is changing today for the future.

dr pepperman
05-01-2001, 04:19 PM
Jerryinmich, your last sentence sounds like me. Being in the grocery business,the first or second thing I do in a new town is check out the local supermarkets. The first aisle I head to is the Beverage one.

------------------
PEPPER UP AT 10,2 and 4.
Frosty Man, Frosty.

sodasommelier
05-02-2001, 01:59 AM
Yeah... I do the same! When I landed in Frankfurt and got my new Volkswagen Van in 1986 I asked while leaving the driveway "Wo gibt's hier ein Getränkehaus??"! And then one of the things I love to do (wherever there are still deposit bottles) is to buy cases of Coke and return the empties in neighboring countries with different languages. It took balls to return Turkish Coke bottles when buying Greek Coke!!! But I took some Turkish Pepsi back on the plane and returned the empties on a trip to Mexico... that was alot of fun!

------------------
Always remember... Don't follow the can drinkers to the chicken bone recycling bin!

Sodalover
05-02-2001, 02:22 AM
Its bitter sweet to walk into stores in the bay area. Im always drawn to the beverage isle of every new store and every store I go into. Buts its almost always disapointing. Always the same, Coke, Pepsi, Red Bull, Sobe, Gatoraid, Snapple. And thats basicaly a door for each item and giving each sku like 10 facings. Were the hell is the variaty. Probably right there with my spelling, some place in hell that no one will ever be able to find. There is just no real distributor out here in the Bay Area that carries or will take chances on these great beverages and get them into stores. The closest, and I believe its a sub of your Danny, Blue Dog Dist. They come down to one store in the East Bay with Bawls (always a good buy) afri-cola, Big Red, and some others. But that is it. God, if I had the cash flow, the things I could do with a distributor out here in the Bay Area. Muhahahaha (sorry, evil laugh) The one good thing out here, and it may be over priced, but its damn good. Is Virgils Root Beer, **** it cost me about $5 at Andronicos market, but god is that good Root Beer.

dr pepperman
05-02-2001, 12:10 PM
Talk about lack of variety, I wanted to try differrent orange sodas yesterday and all I could find in my town were the big boys and store brand, no Jones (other flavors though) Cool Mountian, Hanks,etc. Boring! Oh, I found Stewarts but I did not want Orange Cream. Not even the great almighty Wegmans http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/frown.gif had the bottled stuff.

PhillyCoke
05-06-2001, 09:05 PM
I'm Gary.. been at this game for almost 4.5 years now. Started with the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of New York (later CCE NY), then moved onto Philadelphia Coca-Cola (hence the screen name).

Known generally as the best merchandiser (if I only didn't come in late so much, blame the insomnia!). Love resetting aisles, coolers, and the like. (Just spent 8 hours over 2 days last week resetting a 24 foot section, a breeze cooler, and two single door coolers). Strip and clean is what we call it. Love making the other guy look bad (not too hard when he does it so well himself, especially the Canada Dry bottler here).

Have too much knowledge for my lowly merchandiser position. http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/smile.gif

I take road trips just to check out the beverage aisles. Love sampling new products, and checking out creative displays, POS, shelf space, brand availability, and so on. Always on the lookout for new ideas.

I prefer the flavor sodas, not too big on the colas or the lemon-limes.

Don't collect much, usually coca-cola related t-shirts (so I have something to wear while working) and hats.

zito
05-06-2001, 10:00 PM
z

dr pepperman
05-06-2001, 10:06 PM
PhillyCoke, another guy who sounds like me. Checking the beverage aisle and trying the new items. Resetting aisles though, yuck.
Try doing a 12 ft section of baby food. http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/frown.gif
Or a 12ft Jello section. How about 12ft of pain cold and flu? You got it lucky with the large 2liters and 12 packs.

------------------
PEPPER UP AT 10,2 and 4.
Frosty Man, Frosty.

[This message has been edited by dr pepperman (edited 05-06-2001).]

sodasommelier
05-08-2001, 02:07 AM
MMMM... I'd recommend the Vanilla Custard Pudding; next best thing to FLAN. And you never know when Bill Cosby might stop by the Jello section. But 12 feet of cold and flu medicine? Man, I knew it gets cold in upstate NY but 12 feet? Wow, I guess we've got it good here in CA (but then again we get really thirsty and need to drink lots of soda [and water for the shishi people])!

------------------

Sodalover
05-08-2001, 02:15 AM
try workin 8 years of 7-eleven. Reseting a candy aisle gots you all beat. Ive reset cooler doors, whole coolers, baby food, candy, cigaretts, chemicals (good thing one of the chemical bottles had a leak in it and got me all light headed so I couldnt do any more work that day) house hold items, chips, you name it in the store, Ive done it. Reseting coolers and shelf to make my items fit now is my specialty. When I got guys who say there is no room, I laugh and go make room. Its really a learned art to properly reset area to were they still look good, and serve your perpouse as well.

PhillyCoke
05-09-2001, 01:23 AM
I worked for Grand Union last summer, so I am intimately familar with the HBA section (I was the only one in the department).

Resetting is also a specialty of mine, especially when cutting in new items. I have practically reset a whole 24 foor water section to squeeze in 2-3 facings of my product, and still maintain the overall look of the section before the reset.

Some stores are very picky about facings and such, others maintain sections so poorly that any type of reset is actually a big improvement as to what is already there.

And I once almost passed out from using muratic acid in an enclosed area.. is that close enough to your story, sodalover? http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/smile.gif

JACK
05-09-2001, 10:53 AM
Jack

I have been involved in the beverage business for almost 18 years and have worked in most areas of the business. I started as a bottler worked as a route driver, pre sales and key accounts. Moved to a parent (franchise) company and have been there almost 14 years. I have been involved in both the bottle and can as well as fountain areas.

I enjoy the beverage aisle and the fountain area. I agree competition for shelf space is unbelievable...I once saw the Coke Reset guy challenge the RC set guy to a fight over (3) 2 liter facings. I spent a summber resetting 7-Elevens....nuff said. With the franchise company I have worked with bottlers resetting many coolers and shelves. The average consumer doesnt realize how much work goes into playing with their purchasing psyche.

B/C shelf space is competitive but the fountain area is more cut throat. Either you are in or you are out. Parent companies paying exclusively offers that penalize retailers for carrying your brands. The retailer makes all the money....realize they make an 80% profit on every fountain drink. That 32oz. drink you had at McD's and cost $1.39 .....the operator has about $0.30 in it..Bottlers make no money at fountain and franchise companies do not do alot better...

OK...I'll stop ..

I collect any type of Dr Pepper or 7Up dealer loaders..not much into Coke or Pepsi.

Chefdavis
05-09-2001, 01:52 PM
Just wanted to clarify a bit. Generally there is a 90% or BETTER margin on fountain drinks. That 90% margin doesn't even include the big boys like McDonald's/ 7-11; it is the Mom & Pop operations that use bag in box for their syrups

PeaceKitty
05-09-2001, 02:27 PM
I'm a 19 year Dr Pepper freak, a native to the burning hills of California. I'm not related to the soda business in any way, i just had nothing better to do than drool endlessly over Dr Pepper. I'm, in theory, going to college and majoring in "computer science"

I've been reading, on and off, the bevnet.com board for about, gah, 4 years now. How time flys. I don't really have any sort of collection, just some random Dr Pepper things. I enjoy making "fanart" of Dr Pepper-related things. You can find my endless babbling about Dr Pepper on one of Bevnet's biggest, and oldest, message board posts.

------------------
We're all here because we're not all there.

Sodalover
05-09-2001, 07:11 PM
90% profit may come from the soda fountain, but remember, the store also has to pay for the cups. Thats what they charge for. Thats why when you just grab a cup with some ice, many stores will still charge you the .96 for the 32 oz cup. And when you are a franchise store, cups are even more cause you cant just go to Costco and buy any generic cups, you need your store cups. But even with the extra 8-.15 cents per cup, fountain still remains about the highest profit spot for a store.

Chefdavis
05-10-2001, 02:09 AM
Sodalover, I am including the cost of a 20 oz plastic cup. Now I do not the cost 'durable' plastic cup or 'theme' cup, but a 20 oz logo cup from solo cost me less than 4 cents a cup

Chefdavis
05-10-2001, 02:15 AM
BTW My name is Scott. I have worked in the food and beverage business for 10 years. As my username suggests I started in the back of the house and have recently moved to the front of the house in a retail setting. I do have a small addiction to sodas in glass bottles. My favorites include Sun Crest, Dr Pepper, Henry Weinhard Root Beer, Frostie (best with sugar, but I will take CS), Moxie, and Stewart's will do in a pinch.

Sodalover
05-10-2001, 03:02 AM
big gulp cup = .075 cents per cup. Add in CO2 and syrup and water and cost is not aout 15-.20 cents. But thats still an awsome profit after you charge a dollar for it.

sodasommelier
05-11-2001, 02:12 AM
Ah, Sodalover... that explains Red Bull. That thimble can is really just a ritzy Big Gulp Cup!! http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/smile.gif

------------------

Hacksaw
05-12-2001, 06:53 PM
My real name is Mike, in San Jose, 42, an Unemployed Electronic Tech, & I like to try different sodas. I've sent my Root Beer reviews to Anthony's page, but comment on other here. I want to keep trying other Fanta flavors, but CCE won't trans-ship, & the soda warehouses have a limited stock of Fanta products. I used to like the Grapette, Nehi, & Patio flavors.

I've also noticed the same thing about Sodas in San Jose; Coke, Pepsi, Sobe, Snapple, Sprite, Slice, Dr. Pepper, and then slimmmm picking after that. I do see Stewarts getting bigger, the awful tasting Jones, some Hires & IBC, & a little bit of Jarritos around here.

sodasommelier
05-12-2001, 08:49 PM
Hacksaw, pop into a Draeger's, Mollie Stone's or Oakville Grocery; you'll be pleasantly surprised...

------------------

Sodalover
05-16-2001, 08:16 PM
Dreagers is the place to go if you want some variaty...Virgils Root Beer is awsome, evenat over $2 a bottle it is worth your money. Tons of variety, top notch store. Hey and you can even find your awful Jones in there too.

sodasommelier
05-17-2001, 02:21 AM
Hey man if you like Virgil's you can honestly be called a Sodalover in my book. Even Webvan up there (not here in LA) has some good stuff...

------------------

bwtucker
05-21-2001, 12:50 AM
My name is Bobby, 29 years old, i live in Sparta, TN a town of about 4600 people. Its about mid way between Nashville and Knoxville. I work in a machine shop. I didn't have any interest in sodas at all until last year when NuGrape disapeared from here. As a kid Dr Pepper was my favorite. At some point i got introduced to NuGrape and that became my fave. When i travel now i also like to go and look at the beverages and see what i can't find here.

boodoo
09-18-2001, 08:13 PM
Let's see if 96 has a pair.

09-19-2001, 02:24 AM
ooooh how cunning of you boodoo....why do you care who i am???? ive registered, what else do need to know???? no way i'd put any personel info on the web...ever...what with all you weirdos out there that are just angry about beverages of all things...no thanx..

sodasommelier
09-19-2001, 03:25 AM
Yeah boodoo.... if he were to reveal his true identity he'd have to wear dark glasses on his next visit to Deli Delights! http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/eek.gif

------------------

09-19-2001, 03:13 PM
what are you talking about...deli delights???? not a clue

boodoo
09-20-2001, 07:35 PM
Just what I thought.

sodasommelier
09-21-2001, 03:21 AM
Supposedly it's some place in Detroit that used to be a happening place til they started selling Jones. I'm not surprised if you haven't heard of it; I've never been there myself.

------------------

sodasommelier
09-22-2001, 07:19 PM
Now someone writes me and says it's in East Lansing... let's see.... in Jonestalk that would be just east of the capitOl!

Anyway boodoo... I don't think we'll be hearing from our fiend soon as he's probably so busy delivering the Jooce to the thriving customer base! Yeah, I hope they don't have a best-before-date on that stuph!

------------------

boodoo
09-23-2001, 10:03 PM
Right on SS. If they did have a "best before" date it would have to be pre-production.

sodasommelier
09-24-2001, 10:56 PM
Right, boodoo... quite simply, they could print "Best Recycled Without Even Opening"!

------------------

The_Doomite
11-16-2001, 05:25 PM
OK, here goes...
My real name is Tony, and I live in Aztec, New Mexico. I was born in Harlingen, Texas in July, 1979, hence my lifelong love for Big Red soda. I'm currently a substitute teacher. I've always liked to try new and different beverages. Really, anything that's new, different, or unusual, whether it's food or drink, is appealing to me. I'm a very curious person. Unfortunately, I don't really live in an area where you can find a lot of interesting beverages. Fortunately, I have www dot ******* dot com for my beverage cravings. And sometimes, I get lucky and find some intersting stuff around my area. I like cream sodas, spicier/sweeter ginger ales, and flavored sodas the best. Root beer isn't bad, either. OK, enough about me. The Doomite Is Out!

------------------
The Doomite's top 3 Beverages: 1. Jones Cream Soda, 2. Big Red Soda, and 3. Henry Weinhard's Root Beer!

boilermaker
11-20-2001, 10:12 AM
Steve's my real name. Graduated from Purdue University, hence "boilermaker" (I'm always suprised when it's not taken). I work for (at least we call it) a "full-service marketing company." Really, we're a food broker on steroids (in-house sales, marketing, advertising, test kitchens with chefs, etc.). Recently moved to the Dallas-Fort Worth area from CA (was working in the field), and into the marketing department.

I found this board while doing some research on sparkling water - I drink lots of it, and Ozarka discontinued their line (3 cases of the 1L per week). Now, my employer may be interested in getting into the business.

Like to try new sodas, although Dr. Pepper and Orange Crush have always been favorites, and a Japanese orange drink called Pokka.

Ron Swedelson
11-20-2001, 01:19 PM
I know the company is called Pokka. They make many different things. Fruit Ole, Jamacan Gold, opps, I shouldnt go on and scare you like that. Put it this way, what I have seen out of Pokka. They are producs only meant for the asian market. You put it in the general trade, and your just loosing money.

karks88
11-20-2001, 02:08 PM
My name is Eric, I'm 24 and work as a web designer. My favorite brands are Surge, Citra, Coke Classic, RC, Sierra Mist & Sprite. I've always had an interest in beverages, particularly soft drinks.

boilermaker
11-21-2001, 11:31 AM
Pokka is an interesting drink (I don't know the product name, I've always called it Pokka). Sometimes find it in the asian section of the supermakets (buried in dust).

Sometimes Japanese doesn't translate well to the American market (packaging and palates).

mrshasta
11-27-2001, 10:48 PM
Raymond Aikens, 41, work for Shasta Beverage Inc. but spend the majority of my day developing Faygo, VooDoo Rain and Everfresh Juice in the West sans SoCal. 14 years with Shasta. Prior to that I was 12 years in the grocery business.
If you visit faygo.com and visit Pop Finder and click on a western state it sends me an email. If you distribute or sell Faygo in the west, say hi.

sodasommelier
11-28-2001, 01:43 AM
Hey Raymond! I distribute / sell Faygo in the West; got a truckload on Monday and have already sold over 50 cases (16oz glass) to our waiting list. I also tasted it for the first time. I think Black Raspberry is the best; Red Pop a close second. I think Red Pop will sell best of all. I also like the design on the bottles; too early to see what the customers in general think but we have high hopes! http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/smile.gif

------------------

mrshasta
11-28-2001, 01:52 AM
Danny-email me your business name, address and phone number. I can add it to my mail order sources.
Let's talk sometime. I'll send you my phone number via email.

dr pepperman
11-28-2001, 11:25 AM
I find the Black Raspberry to be the best also.

------------------
PEPPER UP AT 10,2 and 4.
I am not affiliated with any beverage company!!

epnuzguy
11-30-2001, 12:18 AM
My name is Mark, I'm 44 years old, and I don't work in the beverage industry. I work in TV news (keep the snide remarks to yourself!)

The soda I seem to drink most often is Pepsi, but I don't mind Coke either. Dr. Pepper (the kind made in Dublin, TX!), Mr. Pibb, and Delaware Punch rank as some of my all time favorites. I grew up with Wink, Dad's and Frosty, and lived on Birley's Orange Soda when my dad was stationed in Japan in the early 60's.

I stumbled on to this website quite by accident, and love checking in from time to time to read the boards. And my thanks to the Soda Sommelier for the tip on Delaware Punch. I was in Dallas a few weeks ago and grabbed a six pack of that and a six pack of the Dublin Dr. Pepper...

boodoo
11-30-2001, 09:14 AM
Welcome to the board epnuzguy! Is it true in the news biz that "if it bleeds it leads"? (Sorry, I couldn't help myself).

sodasommelier
11-30-2001, 10:24 AM
Hey epnuzguy, glad you got to taste some of those great drinks! Don't knock the news; I've been interviewed on various news stations and it has helped my business immensely as people not only search for all of those drinks and are happy to finally find a source but they also think it's cool to see someone form a business from collecting bottle caps. One time Channel 9 here in L.A. did a story on me and aired it July 4th (because of the nostalgic American brands I have), and I was bartending at my brother's party. We had the big screen TV on in the background and at least 50 people were there. I switched the channel to 9, and gradually people started noticing that it was the news and said "Hey, who switched it to the news?". Then the story started and the whole room got silent; they pointed and said "that's you!". That was such a blast! Needless to say, after the story, most everybody, even if they'd been just drinking alcohol at that point, came over and asked if I had any of those sodas in the ice chest!! Of course I did.

------------------

epnuzguy
12-03-2001, 02:34 PM
Boodoo...I think SS could answer that question better than I, since he lives in a major market where freeway chases count as breaking news. One soda that came to mind after my posting was Shasta's Wild Raspberry Soda...boy do I miss that one!

DRPEPPERMANTX
12-03-2001, 07:46 PM
real name- unknown
I am a 25 year old Account manager for----Dr Pepper Bottling Company of Texas. I have been with this company for 5 yrs now. Loving every minute of it. There are no soda wars here. Just Dr Pepper and the rest follow behind. As you can see, I am proud of my job. BIG RED is my drink of choice. Pepsi as far as a beverage, is my least favorite. CCE as a company, is by far my least favorite.

sodasommelier
12-03-2001, 10:30 PM
Hey DrpeppermanTx... certainly the Big Red in your state is an excellent product when in glass. I do have a bone to pick with the company after having done a stellar job of promoting Big Red longnecks to expatriate Texans and newcomers alike; some plastic and can Big Red distributors are trying to strongman the product from us and we've been shipping substitutes to our customers in protest. How about sending us some of yours!! http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/smile.gif P.S. I've got a really racy 'letter to the editor' which I may be willing to send to epnuzguy for print should the folks in Waco not be a bit more interested in helping me obtain and market their products.

------------------

ResQ Rob
01-23-2002, 06:32 PM
My name is Rob, Im 23, and work in Finance for Hewlett Packard. I am into cycling, snowboarding, running, hip hop and the "techno" scene if you will. I've been intreagued by the energy drink market, both as an athlete, and as fellow BevNet member Jimtml puts it.."only rave kids drink it/buy it, a group totally taken in by contemporary marketing gambits, kids are dumb, so is Red Bull." I guess I fall into that category!
Somthing about watching people suck down straight Red Bulls (no vodka) at $5 a pop back to back to back till wee hours of the morning, tells me they are onto somthing. Let the wheels turn!

My favorite soda?...How about an apple fritter and an ice cold glass of vitamin D!

boodoo
01-24-2002, 01:24 PM
Read three posts back. Looks like the worm has turned for DPMAN-TX!!!!

JMcC
01-24-2002, 09:16 PM
Hi everyone.

My name is Julian - live in Sydney Australia. I'm a financial analyst with a fund manager down here and I look at consumer goods companies. Soft drinks are a big piece of that. my interest in the Board is to read the posts and make contact with people who work in this industry.
I'm really interested in the separation between bottlers and "brand-owning" companies. The whole idea is that Coke and Pepsi in particular get to farm out the ugly bit of their business - bottling and distn., while they sit back and collect big returns on capital from owning the brand and screwing those same bottlers. That's all fine, but they lose some control over the distribution of their own product and this can backfire in a couple of ways.
1. You get disputes over funding, new products etc like Coke and CCE have been enduring over the last couple of years.
2. You let your own distribution channels handle competitors' products - eg Dr Pepper is owned by UK company Cadbury Schweppes, as is 7-Up.
3. You cannot let the bottlers go broke, so you can't totally screw them, therefore your returns from owning the brand should go down through time (as they probably are at Coke, even though that's hidden in their earnings by strange "funding agreements").

Anyway, sorry for the rant. THat's my interest in the Board and I really enjoy it.

Would enjoy talking/emailing anyone in the industry who wants to talk about this sort of stuff - especially DrPeppermanTX - I think that Cadbury could make some money in the States. The market seems to think that the company will get squashed by its big-ass rivals, but I think that Dr Pepper in particular is such a good brand that they cannot be eliminated from the bottling systems. Also, I think that the bottlers themselves cannot afford to give up the volumes they get from outside their own brand empires - eg CCE relies on Cadbury brands fro 9% of its volume (if it tried to do without that 9%, they would be in serious trouble).

All the best from Down Under - JMcC :cool:

drpep
10-23-2002, 11:05 PM
Just bringing this up.

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-24-2002, 03:00 AM
i'm tom - 20 - michigan state university sophomore - i drink beer, but i like pop too, alot, i kinda have a gut i need to get rid of - let's see - i just got dumped by my girlfriend - i work at a miller/coors/heineken/corona/etc... beer distributor in repack... - i am studying advertising/marketing/construction management - i've worked at a little store a block from my house and that's how i got infatuated with the pop and beer - i did the orders for all of them starting when i was 14, used to piss off hotshot salesmen because i wouldn't give snapple elements or some other crap a try - i was waaaaaaay behind on energy drinks but who cares, i thought they'd die in a year. i was fifteen when i kicked out my first redbull salesman - anyway, that's me in a nutshell. i like u2, radiohead, mahjong, euchre, beer (harp lager is newest fav, i love molson canadian) the detroit redwings and so on and so forth...

that's me...

as soon as i get around to it, i'll be changing my name shortly, i'm changing all my names on forums and isps, it's jus ttime ya know...

- tom

BottleBoss
10-24-2002, 09:48 AM
Hello,
BottleBoss is really Mark from Maryland. 30 years old, work in the automotive industry. German cars. I have liked soda in glass bottles since I was a little kid but could never find them until the last few years. When I do, I stock up! Have a few cases of everything I can get my hands on in my basement. Waiting for a good chance to get more. I love soda but actually collect vinyl L.P. records from the 1960's up till current. All Rock and Roll. I have somewhere around a thousand of them now. (If you think soda in glass bottles can be hard to find, try finding record player needles!) I also refinish antique furniture. Thats me. Bye.

steveu
10-24-2002, 07:43 PM
As you probably guessed, first name is Steve, last initial is "U." I'm 40 yrs. old and grew up in East Lansing, Mich. (but went to another small college in Mich.). Later lived in Atlanta area for 15 years; now live in Huntsville, Ala. ... which seems to have a pretty good bev. selection.

I'm not in the industry, just sort of becoming a soda conissiuer (sp?), in my own mind, that is... I'm a sports journalist, actually.

I like mostly cola and Pepper-type drinks, esp. with meals, but will try and drink almost anything otherwise. Drink Coke/Pepsi pretty equally, but prefer stuff like Mr. Green, PibbXtra, Red Fusion, Josta (all-time fave., discontinued) and other kinda weird stuff.

Bad habit: I sometimes just go for the cheapest stuff, helping keep the Kroger brands in business.

assclown
10-27-2002, 11:30 AM
I am the assclown.

drpep
01-21-2004, 10:55 PM
Been awhile since we've done this.

Shatter
01-22-2004, 01:51 AM
This site's gotten kind of slow lately. I haven't seen a lot of these old-timers here in a while. I myself haven't been visiting the boards lately, but then I haven't drank very much soda lately. I'm cutting back.

I'm Steve, 35, I live in Grand Prairie, Texas, and my current favorite soda will still be Pepsi Blue. My favorite soda that's no longer with us would be New York Seltzer Cola and Berry. Runners-up would be Crystal Pepsi and Cherry Cola Slice.

Xtrem
01-22-2004, 07:36 AM
Real name is Javier Castro, Live in Santiago Spain, 32 years old.

I like most fizzy drinks but I have to say that my favourite is probably Granini Peach Juice. I really liked 7UP until they changed the taste.

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-22-2004, 10:24 AM
damn right dpman, where are the regulars?

looks like i didn't make my promise on the name-change...

Boris
01-22-2004, 04:54 PM
Hmm, I joined in 2003 so I missed this the first time it went around...

Real name...Cory Hall, but everyone really does call me Boris. At the moment I am a senior in Lower Quebec City HS. I live here in the winter/school year with my mother. And in the summer I drive down and stay with my dad in Richmond Virginia. I got accepted into James Madison University in Harrisonburg VA and I will be living there during session next year. I have never really been and still am not a fanatic soda addict. I mean I was brought up around soda with no limitations, I just never drank it. I still am not a fan of Coke or Pepsi, But if I had to pick one it would have to be coke. I got interested in soda last year when I came across this website and pop-soda dot com. I became interested in higher quality carbonated beverages such as Boylans,AJ Stephans, Henry Weinhard, etc. I soon bought my own carbonating equipment and started my own experimentation. I soon made Tea Time, which is my carbonated version of tea. I also made Irish Monk which is Lemon Lime with melon. I came up with the idea before I found out about MY Melon, and once I got some MY Melon I am glad my version didn't turn out that bad. Mine is more like Squirt with a little more lime. I travel at least every summer and enjoy the quality tastes of other countrys who use cane sugar. I really like France,Argentina,Germany(SPEZZI!), and most of all Poland,Estonia,Ukraine,and Russia. Eastern europe has some of the most varied tastes I have ever seen.

FitzgeraldHead
01-23-2004, 06:47 PM
I'll do an update, just because I feel like it. I'm a freshman at Georgia Tech, and am majoring in meteorology. Still as interested as ever in beverages, but I found a love for a second board, the Weather Channel Board. Besides, I am A LOT more knowledgable there. I do check this board about once a day though.

Hacksaw
01-24-2004, 04:50 PM
I'll also do an update. I'm out of Electronics/Hi tech since so many companies feel that laying off customers (hint: workers!) in favor of going offshore (mostly India & some Taiwan, China, & Singapore) is the way to go for profit. Funny, they said that same thing about Japan in the 1980's, & Mexico in the 1990's.

I still haunt the Outdoor Siren Board (they also just had their version of a roll call). Some of this also ties into severe weather, but San Jose is pretty safe from severe weather. I am also a Jim Croce & Petula Clark music fan.

Shatter: Yes, I also miss that New York Seltzer Cola & Berry, as well as Crystal Pepsi.

Now that Beverages & More carry a BUNCH of sodas, my favorites changed: Boylan has the best overall line up IMHO. Their Orange & Root Beer are great. Cost Plus also has a decent variety of sodas.

Frostie also has a good line of sodas.

[ 01-24-2004, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Hacksaw ]

drpep
01-24-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Hacksaw:

I still haunt the Outdoor Siren Board My city is surrounded by small towns that call volunteer firemen to the firehouse with an outdoor siren. I'll have to check it out :D :D .

Just kidding smile.gif

golee1
01-24-2004, 08:23 PM
Well I guess I'll give this a try... My real name is Patrick, I'm 19 and I live in Staunton VA. Umm...my dad worked for Central Coca-Cola for 29 years, 20 years in Staunton (8 as manager), and 9 in Charlottesville as manager. So obviously I grew up in a Coke household...we never had anything but Coke products at home, and if we went to a restaurant that served Pepsi we either had to drink Dr. Pepper or water. Right now I'm going to Blue Ridge Community College and I'm also working at Staunton Central Coca-Cola as a warehouse loader. Pay's not great, hours aren't great, but hey it's a job. It's weird to see how things have changed in the past 10-15 years. Of course, there isn't anything in glass anymore, with the exception of the 8 ounce one-way bottles. Returnable bottles are a thing of the past, and the delicious Crass flavors that Central used to produce are gone too. Central shut down the production line in Staunton 4 or 5 years ago, leaving Hagerstown as their sole production center. Plus, with the fact that the company is currently for sale, I would guess more changes are on the way. Nothing's gone through yet though, although some potential buyers were taking a tour the week before last.

redcremesoda
03-26-2004, 12:45 PM
I saw this "roll call" post and figured I'd add to it as a new member.

I'm 34 and I live in Hanover Park IL. I'm not in "the business", I'm just a fan. I discovered this site while looking for info on where to find glass bottled sodas in Chicago and I'm specifically looking for any on the BevNet list that I've never tried. I've found a few at Cost Plus in Schaumburg recently - they carry some flavors of Boylan's, Hank's, Jones, Briar's, Jeff's New York Egg Cream and Tommyknockers.

As you can see, my preferred beverage is Red Creme Soda. Many thanks to Barq's for carrying the Red Creme Soda torch (as far as I know, they're the only ones in mass distribution) and the local Jewel grocery stores that are finally carrying it in Chicagoland! Apparently, it has existed for years, but not up in Chicago. I just discovered it in May while in Ohio (Cedar Point trip), then found it locally a few weeks later smile.gif

To me, it tastes just like Fanta Red Cream Soda did, probably because they're both owned by Coca-Cola. Is that true?

Anyway, other favorites are Faygo Rock n Rye & Redpop (from my college days in Michigan) and I just ordered some Dublin DP. Can't wait to try it :D

Looking forward to the discussions. This board is the best!

toby1
03-26-2004, 05:22 PM
Missed this one when I reg. back in 2003. Glad its been rekindled.
Here Goes.

My name is Marvin, Im 33 and currently live in Boston Ma. (go Sox) although Im originally from Atl. Ga.
I am working as an Account/Distributor Manager for a Beer Importer/Wholesaler. It is a very diverse position to which I truly enjoy.
Ive been in the beverage/retail industry since 1985 when I worked for a grocery chain called SuperValu, little did I know at that time I would still be in the BIZ and doing very well for my wife and myself. Ive had many of pitstops along the way, water, coffee, RB, soda, even ran a bar/club in Buckhead Ga for 4 years.
When Im not selling Beer, I enjoy spending time with my wife, Dog (Toby, hince the screen name) and friends. We love to travel, we love the water (lived in Key West for a while) but most of all I love making money!

Nice to meet everyone and I truly enjoy sharing facts, ideas, opinions, beliefs, storys, issues, and yes even disbeliefs.

the saint
03-26-2004, 06:43 PM
I can't believe that i missed it to since I have been here since it went the first time.
I am 33 and have worked in the soda business for ( dang it has been a long time) almost 14 years now. I worked at an indi house for many years then went to Pepsi. I live in Norman OK about 4 blocks from the university. Didn't put my name on here due to the fact that my boss frequents this board and he is always telling me what people say ( sometimes the post he gripes about are mine) so therefore I aint telling him that I log on everyday to read and sometimes post.
For some unknown reason I am a fan of the New Orleans Saints hence the name. I know they stink but one of these days....who am I kidding they stink

Hacksaw
05-30-2005, 11:29 PM
Anyone else want to (re)introduce themselves?

Look In The Tunk
05-31-2005, 12:01 AM
Me in outline form (because I love outlines too much)

-Anita Rose
-21 1/2 years old (my birthday is June 20th)
-I quit my job at The Fresh Market in March and now I'm slowly trying to get back into school.
-My favorite drinks are Diet Coke With Lemon, Orange Slice, Diet Coke Cherry, Fresca, Faygo Candy Apple, sugar free redbull (I just drink it b/c I like the taste of it), Cafe Americanos from Starbucks, that blue Nehi that used to be around, and Pibb Xtra.
-My favorite tv shows are The Daily Show With Jon Stewart, Cheap Seats, South Park, and old episodes of The Critic, and The Simpsons.
-I enjoy researching dead retail.