PDA

View Full Version : Trip report 2004

drpep
05-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Wasn't going to post on this board but I guess I have no choice.
Nothing exciting on the way down to Florida.
With the help of Cheer-wined I was able to find a store in Salisbury, NC that had Kickapoo Joy Juice and Bubble Up in 20oz plastic. Salisbury is a good place to find Longneck glass. Try the BP off the four lane, first south bound exit . It is across from the Harley dealer. Peach Nehi in longnecks here. Do Yahoo Yellow page search for Spee-dee mart and find the one on 402 Park Ave. Cheer-wined sent me here. Only store I found Cool Moon. Also had Cool Mountain products and Crush flavors.
Concord, NC turned up 8 oz Coca-Cola 600 bottles. With the Coca-cola 600 next week there were a lot of Coke displays and giant inflatable Coke cans outside of gas stations. Found a Jeff Gordon Pepsi fountain cup at a Gate mini mart.
The day before I found Red Fusion in a vending machine in Hagerstown, MD (outside Ollies) and Strawberry Twist (may have been Twizzler) Slurpees in 7-11 in Woodstock, Va.
Roanoke Va is still the only place I can find Diet Dr Pepper in fountains and also find plastic Dr Pepper fountain cups.
Sometime along I-81 in Va Red Fusion disappeared, never to be seen again on the trip. I did find a 4 foot double sided Red Fusion 2 liter rack in a Food Country USA supermarket in Max Meadows, VA but it was filled with Dr Pepper.
Also at Food Country USA I found a new Dr Pepper copy. Valu (time?) Dr Ahhh.
Once into Georgia and on down to Florida Pepsi could be found in fridge packs ( or whatever their version is called)
Also in Florida I found 12 packs of Welch's Fruit Punch and Strawberry.
Found Briars Orange Creme and Root Beer in 1 liter glass bottles at World Market in Charlotte, NC. They also have Hanks, Cool Mtn and Jones Green Apple. Also Boylans.
The Bojangles on Rt 74 near Indian Gap, NC has Patio Cherry on fountain.
In Wadesboro, NC I found Hires Root Beer in 20oz plastic, Dr Enuf, Red Rock Ginger ALe in glass and RR Strawberry in plastic (2liter and 20). This at the 66 Fast Shop.
No Mello Yello flavors including Afterglo and no Fanta Blue.

drpep
05-23-2004, 08:54 PM
Publix in Ft Lauderdale has Barqs Cream Soda in Diet and Reg in 2 liters.

drpep
05-23-2004, 09:55 PM
Whoops, spoke to soon on the Red Fusion. Found a 12 pack at the Texaco Longhorn Deli my wife sent me to for food. There were 2 in the cooler. Did not check date. The 12 pack had the rounded corners found on Arbarta Coke products. There was also a Pepsi display with one 12 pack of Vanilla Pepsi in the same style 12 pack.
Dr Pepper is a Pepsi product in Broward County.

teamtitan512
05-23-2004, 10:11 PM
Dr pepperman, did you go in the Kmart next to the Ollie's? They always have Red Fusion 12 packs in stock.

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-24-2004, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by dr pepperman:
Wasn't going to post on this board but I guess I have no choice.just curious, but what's that mean?

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-24-2004, 02:08 AM
nm dpman, apparently the STS forums are down. sad day.

Shatter
05-24-2004, 03:46 AM
Does anyone know when the STS forums are going to be back up?

Cheer-Wined and I have traded a few sodas, and I managed to get some of the sodas you've found.

Kickapoo Joy Juice - Not as good as glass longnecks. It had almost no carbonation, and just tasted 'off'.

Cool Moon - It tasted a little too generic. It doesn't really stand out against all the other citrus sodas.

Dr. Enuf - I really liked this one. It's a lemon lime flavor with a kick of vitamin power. I wish it were bottled nearby, i'd drink it all the time.

Fanta Blue - I haven't tried it yet, i've been waiting for a vacation week to drink a lot of the sodas i've traded with people. I kind of wanted them to be special. But my boss won't let me off work anytime soon, so i'm drinking them little by little. I'm going to have to break down and drink this one soon.

fusion
05-24-2004, 07:24 PM
I had somewhat of a road trip last week, basically a whirlwind tour of North Carolina.

In Durham, picked up 20oz Diet Mello Yello. Durham Coke (code AF) also still produces 10oz deli glass Coke/Sprite/Diet.

I also had help from Cheerwined. Stopped at Carolina Beverage in Concord in search of Nehi longnecks, but they had none. I did score a cool retro Cheerwine shirt, though.

Ate at the What-a-burger there.. great stuff. Sundrop on tap.

Found Nehi grape longnecks at the BP station right off the highway. Coke double fridgepacks and Cheerwine 6pk retro glass at the Super Wally.

Took the scenic route from there.. went through Rockingham -- found Orange & Peach Nehi in longnecks.

Spotted an Aberdeen Coke truck.. stopped at some non-descript c-store.. apparently they source everything from CCBCC. Nothing exciting.

Bojangles in Rocky Mount -- Cheerwine on tap.

Williamston NC. Pepsi Minges. found Sunkist Peach, Strawberry, Pineapple (plus orange, of course). They also still carry 7-Up.

Manteo NC (Roanoke Island). Stopped at a small local grocery store, found Nehi Grape 2L -- from RC Chicago. Also saw old shelf tags for other RCC products, like 2L Old Towne.

Oh, and on the way down, stopped in Emporia VA, lots of Sundrop there. South Hill VA Farmer's Foods -- Kickapoo 2L (produced by Paul's in New Castle, PA), but no Cherry RC.

On the way back, stopped at Mr. Fuel in Carmel Church VA. Tons of Faygo -- 24oz, 3L, 12pk cans. All the fuze flavors, even a fuze aluminum energy drink. Everfresh 18oz PET (I assume this replaces 16oz glass?)

Northern Neck Ginger Ale reg/diet in Fredericksburg, at Food Lion. Fridgepacks produced by MAC.

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-24-2004, 08:44 PM
in michigan, we have nestea 2L produced by TB and they come in different style crates. anyone know where TB is?

fusion
05-24-2004, 09:47 PM
TB is Twinsburg, Ohio. They use a crate like PBG does. It's the Castle crate, from Rehrig Pacific.

I've never been there, but it has to be a huge facility. They produce all the major packages -- 1L, 2L, 16.9oz, and fridgepacks. They also have a Dasani line -- we sometimes get 16.9oz 6pk and 12pk from them.

The facility is practically in Abarta's Cleveland territory.. and it serves most of the Eastern Great Lakes division, except the 3 sales centers that were former Capitol (now Mid-Atlantic) divison sales centers.. they still get product from Mid-Atlantic production facilities. And some of the old Herbco facilities in NE Pennsylvania get their stuff from the NY division facilities.

Cheer-wined
05-24-2004, 11:00 PM
dp, if you are returning by I-95 ... there are some places in eastern NC where I found MY afterglow about a month ago. at the I-95/I-40 interesection near Benson, there was a c-store that still had 1 facing. i don't remember exactly which store, i checked 2 or 3. afterglow has practically disappeared from my area, so I was surprised to see a few stray bottles down east.

Cheer-wined
05-24-2004, 11:06 PM
Roanoke Va is still the only place I can find Diet Dr Pepper in fountains and also find plastic Dr Pepper fountain cups.
I don't know about the cups, but IIRC DP West Jefferson also has diet DP in some of their fountain setups.

mello yello
05-27-2004, 06:33 PM
i just went on a road trip from philly down the eastern shore, through the outerbanks, then swung inland across north carolina, and all the way to nashville, before heading back north on I-81.
i found afterglow in tennessee on my way to nashville on I-40, just after crossing into the central time zone. then i found it again at a c-store in downtown nashville. aside from that saw no mello yello flavors during the trip, but mello yello many places.

drpep
05-28-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Cheer-wined:
dp, if you are returning by I-95 ... there are some places in eastern NC where I found MY afterglow about a month ago. at the I-95/I-40 interesection near Benson, there was a c-store that still had 1 facing. i don't remember exactly which store, i checked 2 or 3. afterglow has practically disappeared from my area, so I was surprised to see a few stray bottles down east. Big wreck there Friday. Both lanes closed from morning until 4pm according to radio. Missed it because I went to Sanford.

drpep
05-28-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
I had somewhat of a road trip last week, basically a whirlwind tour of North Carolina.

In Durham, picked up 20oz Diet Mello Yello. Durham Coke (code AF) also still produces 10oz deli glass Coke/Sprite/Diet.

I also had help from Cheerwined. Stopped at Carolina Beverage in Concord in search of Nehi longnecks, but they had none. I did score a cool retro Cheerwine shirt, though.

Ate at the What-a-burger there.. great stuff. Sundrop on tap.

Found Nehi grape longnecks at the BP station right off the highway. Coke double fridgepacks and Cheerwine 6pk retro glass at the Super Wally.

Williamston NC. Pepsi Minges.

Oh, and on the way down, stopped in Emporia VA, lots of Sundrop there. South Hill VA Farmer's Foods -- Kickapoo 2L (produced by Paul's in New Castle, PA), but no Cherry RC.

Was in Durham today but did not find MY Diet (was'nt looking fot it)
I grabbed the retro Cheewined shirt also.
Stopped at Farmer's Foods, saw what you did.
What are Pepsi Minges? Is this a misspelling?
Nehi longnecks should have been easy to find.
I saw a Cheerwine 6 pack in the display case at the Cheerwine dist and was wondering where I could find them.

[ 05-28-2004, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]

drpep
05-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Whoops, spoke to soon on the Red Fusion. Found a 12 pack at the Texaco Longhorn Deli my wife sent me to for food. There were 2 in the cooler. Did not check date. The 12 pack had the rounded corners found on Arbarta Coke products. There was also a Pepsi display with one 12 pack of Vanilla Pepsi in the same style 12 pack.
Dr Pepper is a Pepsi product in Broward County. Found two 2 liter bottles in a Walgreen in Cooper City FL. Code was 8/03

fusion
05-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Pepsi Minges is a family owned Pepsi business. I believe they also go by the name Pepsi Greenville?

drpep
05-29-2004, 08:17 PM
Some 7-11's along I-95 have Fanta Orange Cream in their fountains.

Shatter
05-30-2004, 12:58 AM
It's not Fanta Orange, but Orange Cream Soda? Weird! I wonder if it's any good.

drpep
05-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Yup, Orange Cream. Seen mostly in Florida but I did see it at a 7-11 off I-95 near the Quantico Marine base.

drpep
05-30-2004, 10:24 PM
Return trip home was great as I had been directed to Sanford, NC for Dr Pepper 8oz glass bottles. picked up a case plus a 6 pack of Sanford Coke produced glass Coke.
Other stuff found:
Peach Fanta in several gas stations along 1-95 between Flornce, SC and Lumberton, NC.
Peach Nehi in glass at the Exxon of I-95 exit 164 Florence. Also other West Jefferson glass there.
Gatorade Xtreme at most 7-11 fountains.
Switch on sale at Ukrops for 50 cents a bottle save 79 cents. Must be clearing it out.
That was about it.
Did not find any Welchs Grape or Sunkist Orange in glass longnecks this year.
Took a different route back so I did not see any Sundrop deli bottles.
This years haul
12 pack cans Coke Coca-Cola 600 20 years.
2 12 packs of Pepsi with a Jeff Gordon diecast car offer.
1 20oz bottle Bubble Up
2 20oz bottles Kickapoo Joy Juice
Several 16oz plastic Sundrop and Sundrop Cherry bottles for my Dad.
7 cans Cool Moon.
1 8oz Coke bottle Daytona Beach Bike week 2004.
6 pack of Coke 8oz Coca Cola 600 bottles.
6 pack Coke 8oz 75 years of Mickey Mouse. Not painted on but wrapped.
1 case 8oz Dr Pepper glass.
12 pack Cheerwine cans for friends.
6 pack Value Time Dr Ahh!
4 pack Boylans Cane Soda.
1/2 dozen Mtn Dew cans with racing ads on them
2 12 pack Dr Pepper Spiderman cans.
From West Jefferson , less than I thought I bought.
5 RC
2 Grape Nehi
5 Cheerwine
2 7UP
3 Sundrop
1 Nehi Peach

teamtitan512
05-31-2004, 01:17 AM
7-11 near Quantico? Fanta Orange Creme? I'll believe it when I see it. I kinda wanted to go down I-95 to Richmond, might have to take a look...and taste, at that.

fusion
05-31-2004, 09:30 PM
Carolina Beverages had Welch's grape in stock. Though you would have had to buy it by the case.

I don't recall seeing any deli Sundrop in my travels, either. Peach Nehi longnecks were also in the Rockingham area.

drpep
05-31-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by teamtitan512:
7-11 near Quantico? Fanta Orange Creme? I'll believe it when I see it. I kinda wanted to go down I-95 to Richmond, might have to take a look...and taste, at that. The one where I found Fanta is off exit 152, Dumfries. You get off and head south on Rt 1 for a short distance and turn left past the Harley dealer. You can also get to the Fanta 7-11 from exit 150 buy heading towards the Marine base but turning left, north, at the light and keep going about 1-2 miles. It will be on your left. Across the street is a grocery store that caters to Hispanics. Used to be a Great Valu now its something like Grande. They had Mexican and Central American Coke products (but not actual Coke) when I was there in 2003. They did have Mexican Coke about 4-5 years ago when the store was called Bonus.
If you get to Richmond be sure to check out a Ukrops if you have not seen one. There are also 7-11's in the Richmond area and several places off 95

drpep
05-31-2004, 10:37 PM
The Sundrop deli bottles seemed to bee found mostly in the Wilson/Rocky Mount area. There is a Sundrop bottler in Rocky Mount.

Cheer-wined
06-01-2004, 12:05 AM
These responses are not necessarily in order so bear with me...

Sundrop/Canada Dry of Rocky Mount is the only bottler in NC to make Sundrop in deli bottles. Just regular, no diet etc. Their territory goes down I-95 from the VA state line to Wilson Co.

Big Springs in Huntsville makes regular and diet in deli bottles - you can find them in southern central TN also.

Yes Pepsi Minges is aka Pepsi Greenville. The Minges' are an old family bottler, one of the first Mountain Dew bottlers also. They're the main reason MD is strong down east.

The Cheerwine 6-packs are in Wal-Marts and upper end grocers (around here that would be Harris-Teeter or Lowes.)

WJ has been 6-packing other brands as well, at the plant I saw A&W, Nehi and RC. The cartons were marked Dr Pepper West Jefferson so it must be made exclusively for them. I don't know where they're being distributed, though. All our local longnecks come in by the case.

[ 05-31-2004, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Cheer-wined ]

Willbev
06-01-2004, 09:50 AM
There is a Nehi carton also.

drpep
06-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Also found Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi in a fountain at Sheetz in Roanoke. Caffeine Free Coke in a fountain somewhere also.

teamtitan512
06-03-2004, 02:41 AM
CF Diet Pepsi is usually in Sheetz fountains.

They usually have 2 nozzles for Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, CF Diet Pepsi, Wild Cherry Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Dr Pepper, Sierra Mist, Fruitworks Fruit Punch (the labels aren't Tropicana yet here), some have had Pepsi One, Code Red, Slice Orange, Mug Root Beer, Hawaiian Punch, and Lipton Brisk.

They all have Coke and Diet Coke now in their stores. I wish they'd just switch to Coke. Coke fountain products sell better, period. They could get Pepper rights anyway, or just start pumping out Pibb. Pibb doesn't present much of a problem to McDonald's here.

sandwalker
06-30-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by fusion:

What is the address for Carolina Beverage in Concord? I'm driving by there later this week and will stop by. I just can't find an address for it anywhere.

fusion
06-30-2004, 07:11 PM
Here's the directions Cheerwined sent to me:

From 85 South, take Jake Alexander Blvd (Exit #75). Make a left at the end of the ramp, and pass under 85. Go up a little, and you'll see an Arby's on your right. Take the right after that. You'll see Carolina Beverage in front of you. Park in the back, and enter by the big Cheerwine sign. Alice at the front desk will help you.

---

They have a case full of neat stuff, like pens, shirts, and such. You can also buy soda by the case from them.

[ 06-30-2004, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

vamoose27
07-31-2004, 02:48 AM
just found this looking for proof of the existance of peach fanta... (which i'm told is sold around Greenville, SC in Ingles and Haywood Mall's Street Corner)
Last month I was in Spain and all they have is Lemon (limon) and Orange (naranja) Fanta, however Orange Fanta on tap is everywhere and tastes like the god of all things Fanta. Another really great soft drink I found was Shweeppes sodas. Orange was very good and unlike any orange sodas i've had. I also had a citrus Shweeppes (I think a grapefruit like thing.) that was alright - great when mixed with the orange though.