PDA

View Full Version : Why Haven't...

assclown
07-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Big fast food chains like McDonalds and Burger King developed and branded their own soft drinks? I'm not saying they should boot Coke and their brethren out the door, but I would think a McSoda would be a huge new profit centre for them.

mjb1124
07-10-2005, 03:25 PM
That would be an interesting idea, though I'm hard pressed to think of what kind of flavor they'd come up with. Perhaps it could be through a partership with Coke, much like how Taco Bell has Mountain Dew Baja Blast.

Dr. Galaga
07-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Big chains want products that appeal to mass audiences (products that they know). McJoeBlow soda will not do that.

Mr Zabe
07-10-2005, 04:40 PM
My two cents.

Did you really ever notice (yes you would as you are a fellow soda pop freak) the amount of advertising both on the cups and the walls that the Big Three soda pop companies have in nearly 99.99 percent of the US fast food restaurants?

Did you think that the fast food companies just might get paid an allowance fee so that a high traffic site could promote their products. I would love to hear from an expert in this part of the industry to lay it straight to us. I will go out an a limb that the Big Three soda pop companies would rather sell their products at a loss than to loose a high traffic marketing tool.

I would highly doubt Mc Donalds as a example would want nor see a need to market or sponsor a home brand or line up of soda pops. It just would not make economic sense.

[ 07-10-2005, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

assclown
07-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Think about the synergies if they came up with their own brand, put it in every restaurant, then if it took off reasonably well, then put it in stores?

Mr Zabe
07-10-2005, 09:54 PM
A synergy would be McDonald's having a restaurant kiosk in a major grocery chain. McDonald's selling soda pop to other commercial accounts means that McDonald's would be in a core soda pop business.

Synergetic relationships involve working with each other to meet goals with their partners.
Businesses seek to maximize profits.

[ 07-10-2005, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

SamC
07-10-2005, 11:07 PM
1 - The fast food chains get huge and complex deals from the soda companies. Probably McDonalds is getting the product for pennies.

2 - It is a proven fact that, everything else being equal, a "Coke restaurant" will do better than a "Pepsi restaurant" (this is why BK came running home with its tail between its legs after its Pepsi fling in the 80s), and both will do better than an "RC restaurant" (which is why there aren't any). A "generic restaurant" would do worse still.

3 - These restaurants depend on the soda company for delivery and maintainence of the machines. Doing its their selves would involve a whole new complex divison of their distribution system.