PDA

View Full Version : has coke zero been abandoned in the US?

popologist
06-23-2006, 01:35 PM
according to a lot of online internet articles, coke zero is a huge success everywhere (australia, uk, etc) ... and, yet, after its initial launch... i've barely seen any promotion at all in the US (no commercials, no ads, no billboards).

so what's the deal?

is coke afraid of its own success? that coke zero will cannibalize diet and classic's sales?

i just don't understand.

Mr Zabe
06-23-2006, 01:54 PM
IMO
Coke Zero has done well despite itself and it's poor marketing. The Chicago market supports Coke Zero on "grass roots" level. Those core drinkers support it but it does not appear Coca Cola seeks to build it into a thriving brand. Why...I'm not sure other than poor brand management.

[ 06-23-2006, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
06-23-2006, 02:31 PM
here, coke zero is as popular as water! it was put on all coke machines along with vault a couple of months ago, and it sells well in stores, i mean, i got a 24 pack of it yesterday, and it was the last one, and all the 12 packs were gone... that has happened to me a few times before too, despite cokes lack of advertising after the initial bump...

NRGSLLR
06-23-2006, 06:28 PM
How many different ways can you make Diet Coke? Coke Zero / Diet Coke / Diet Coke with Splenda, Kind of confusing. Coke might be afraid of losing their core Diet Coke consumer and their brand rank as the number 1 diet soft drink if they convert DC drinkers to Zero drinkers. Brand Rank plays a part in contract negotitaions for next year.

golee1
06-23-2006, 09:29 PM
Despite the advertising problems, it sells well here. We're required to have it on all our displays, as well as in all vending machines (just like Vault).

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-23-2006, 09:40 PM
i haven't seen much in the way of coke adverts recently. no real campaign since a couple months after the launch of vault. i'm sure they'll have something sizzling. meanwhile, a lot of their marketing money is probably invested in the world cup.

but seriously, let's not ask silly questions like, "is coke abandoning this successful product?" when i've heard nothing but good things. i've seen no date problems (still see that from time to time with vault, bcvc) etc... that would make me think that it is going away.

both zero and vault are now in 24pk cans flats/suitcases in michigan.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
06-23-2006, 09:40 PM
Coca-Cola and Coca-Cola Light/Diet Coke will be always the ones with more advertising than other products or their versions... but IMO the lack of advertising doesn't mean that the product is abandoned... there's lapses where Coca-Cola gives high promotion to a product and there's another lapses where Coke gives a break to the advertising of a certain product...

And talking about promotion... it's really weird that Coca-Cola Light and Diet Coke are highly promoted during the FIFA World Cup games in Germany, in all the games of this week I just saw Coca-Cola Light and Diet Coke billboards in the soccer fields... it's the first time I see Coca-Cola Light/Diet Coke billboards in the 28 years of Coca-Cola sponsorship with FIFA Soccer World Cup...

[ 06-26-2006, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

pepsidew
06-23-2006, 10:01 PM
as far as i can tell coke zero sells very well for coke where i live

SURGE
06-24-2006, 12:33 AM
Yeah not advertising is not abandoining- when did you see the last Barqs or Mello Yello ad?

I do agree though that this brand has been a winner despite the lame intro campaign and customer confusion with DC w/ Splenda. Like I've said before- Coke is not gonna push this one unless DC starts losing share to Diet Pepsi (right now the opposite is happening)

popologist
06-24-2006, 08:15 AM
well, it's frustrating because coke zero is so much better than diet coke, AND... half of the time the 12 packs of zero are sold out at ALL THREE supermarkets in my neighborhood. if i don't get to the store early in the week (when the coke truck comes), i may not be able to find any!!!

and it makes me mad! ;)

fusion
06-24-2006, 08:55 PM
I wish they'd put it in 24 packs around here, I'm sure it would do really well.

Mr Zabe
06-24-2006, 11:12 PM
I saw cases of Coke Zero today at our infamous Woodman's. I had to do a double take. LOL When will the bottlers come out with cubes for instead of cases? The cubes (Pepsi,CS) look pretty cool when they build their displays.

[ 06-24-2006, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

bigrich
06-25-2006, 12:12 AM
MAC used to run Cubes when they were in business. I always prefered the Cubes so I would by alot of MAC product instead on CCE. I wonder if any of the smaller bottlers run cubes? Maybe Chesterman or Atlantic?

[ 06-24-2006, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

XLS_04
06-26-2006, 03:25 AM
As far as what I was told by someone that works at Coca-Cola in my area Coke Zero is doing "moderate" at best, it is doing better than C2 but it is not a big hit.

Don't be suprised if you see Coke Zero re-released with new packaging and a new sweetner.

It is not the lowest selling cola from Coca-Cola but it is in the bottom 5.

There were plans to introduce a caffeine free Coke zero but those plans were put on hold late last year and the idea is still on hiatus.

Coke Blak, C2, TaB, and Caffeine Free Coke currently share the rankings of the 5 least sold colas by the Coca-Cola company in New England as of right now.

Chad.
06-26-2006, 05:20 AM
last i heard was that zero was selling as well as cherry coke that was about six weeks ago, around the time it was being put into the target fountains, were i actually find it to taste the most like coke classic

popologist
06-26-2006, 07:39 AM
i'm not sure of the hard numbers, but it seems clear that zero isn't the huge success in the US that it is in Australian (where it already has a 7% market share).

and, like others have already said on this board, i think it's because coke is afraid of canibalizing diet coke's sales too much.

as for a re-formulation and relaunch... that may be a good idea (in the US), so long as it doesn't ruin the taste. however, if they could sweeten it with splenda & ace-k and make it taste about the same, it would probably help its sales. and, then, people would understand HOW it's different from diet coke. (of course, DC w/ splenda would have to be discontinued).

Originally posted by XLS_04:
As far as what I was told by someone that works at Coca-Cola in my area Coke Zero is doing "moderate" at best, it is doing better than C2 but it is not a big hit.

Don't be suprised if you see Coke Zero re-released with new packaging and a new sweetner.

It is not the lowest selling cola from Coca-Cola but it is in the bottom 5.

There were plans to introduce a caffeine free Coke zero but those plans were put on hold late last year and the idea is still on hiatus.

Coke Blak, C2, TaB, and Caffeine Free Coke currently share the rankings of the 5 least sold colas by the Coca-Cola company in New England as of right now.

[ 06-26-2006, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: popologist ]

SURGE
06-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Popularity of CZ really varies. It is doing really well in urban areas while it is not doing so well in the more rural parts. Caffine Free Coke is a top-10 brand but shares a similar fate.

billygtexas
06-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Coke Zero is still being treated like a specality brand here in the Southwest. Classic & Diet Coke always gets the biggest push and shelf space. At least unlike C2 you can get Zero in Bottles.

I dont know if a reformulation with Splenda would help Zero sell unless Coke can make it taste even more like Coke Classic. If it does, great. But every cola I have tried with Splenda just makes it tastes watered down (Diet 7up, Pepsi One, Diet Rite).

Coke needs give Zero a huge push again, but this time with a more mainstream campaign targeted to everyone, not just teenagers and young adults.

If I was running coke.inc I'd completly discontinue the ancient Diet Coke formulation and replace every flavor variation with Zero. Zero's is a superior product in every way. It's a shame its not getting the support it needs to make it a huge success. Someone at Coke wake up!

[ 06-27-2006, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

fusion
06-27-2006, 07:08 PM
The core Diet Coke drinks are too loyal to Diet Coke.

Diet Coke will soon become the #2 soft drink in the US behind Coke Classic (surpassing Pepsi). It would be foolish to abandon your #2 soda.

the saint
06-27-2006, 07:13 PM
I have not tried zero nor do I have any intentions of doing so. I see that it sells well in my neck of the woods, however to switch away from diet cokes formula would be a BAD move on cokes part. Sure they could make all the flavor varients of DC to mate with zero and the uproar would not be as great. Taking away DC as it is would most likely drive away more customers than it brought in. Just my 2 cents.

On another note think of all the "diet coke=diet choke" posts we would get to read similar to the dt dew=dt doodoo threads. :D

popologist
06-28-2006, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
The core Diet Coke drinks are too loyal to Diet Coke.

Diet Coke will soon become the #2 soft drink in the US behind Coke Classic (surpassing Pepsi). It would be foolish to abandon your #2 soda. i guess you're right. but, still, coke is pushing coke zero in other countries, and it's doing great.

SURGE
06-28-2006, 05:10 AM
Its all about taking share from the other guy not canabalizing your other brands and diluding your advertising effect.

popologist
06-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by SURGE:
Its all about taking share from the other guy not canabalizing your other brands and diluding your advertising effect. i suppose it was a tricky risk from the beginning. and i'm still not exactly sure why they did it. i mean, clearly, a second sugar-free product from coke is likely to take a bigger bite out of classic and diet coke (than pepsi)... since they are both #1 in their category.

still, i suppose it's paid off. diet coke still managed to grow its share (slightly) last year, while diet pepsi slipped a bit... and pepsi one is practically extinct.

also, diet coke with splenda was also adding to the competition.

i guess my frustration comes from my opinion (and many others) that coke zero tastes much better than diet coke, and, that... at times, coke zero is not suffiently stocked... and i have to go from store to store to find it.

all i ask is that coke don't take zero away. i love the stuff.

NRGSLLR
06-29-2006, 05:01 PM
I just hope Coke remebers what happened in the late 80's with NEW Coke / Coke II. They still haven't recovered, IMO that is why Pepsi took such a huge market share lead in convenience channel.

SURGE
06-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Clearly CZ is the better product to nearly anybody who is not already a loyal diet drinker. I would venture to guess that Coke has been more willing to push Zero in countries where the Diet Coke mob is less numerious. Still it is doing well and Coke is really kicking ass in the diet cola category so I predict we will be seeing more and more Zero.

cokepa
07-01-2006, 10:31 AM
I am seeing Coke Zero being pushed a little more now than it was previously. More advertising, getting it in every account... No I don't think it is being abandoned.

fusion
07-01-2006, 11:56 PM
Coke Consolidated is also producing Coke Zero in 16.9oz 6 packs.

popologist
07-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
Coke Consolidated is also producing Coke Zero in 16.9oz 6 packs. that's good to hear. so it's expanding.

i think coke's tactic with coke zero is to make it visible and available everywhere, but... to not "push" it... so that it doesn't eat away at diet coke's dominance.

in other words, say a customer who's new to sugar-free soda (because of health or calorie concerns) goes to the supermarket... they'll probably try diet coke or diet pepsi first, and if they don't like those (which is very possible), they may try coke zero next.

so, coke doesn't really lose a former diet coke drinker, but they gain a new coke zero.

this strategy will keep diet coke gaining on regular pepsi, and keep coke zero gaining as well. perhaps that's why coke is using the traditional "white" labeling (in the US) for coke zero, so consumers will know that it's a diet cola... without advertising it as such.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
07-08-2006, 01:20 AM
Coca-Cola Zero it hasn't been abandoned at all... specially in Cannes

------------------------------------------

COCA-COLA®, COCA-COLA ZERO® ADS WIN AWARDS AT CANNES FESTIVAL

July 07, 2006 edition

Coca-Cola and Coca-Cola Zero commercials from the United States, the United Kingdom and Argentina won awards at the 53rd Annual Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival.

The following spots took home "Bronze Lion" honors in the Non-Alcoholic Beverage – Film category:

"Round the Fire"
Brand: Coca-Cola

"What Goes Around"
Brand: Coca-Cola

"Tow Truck"
Brand: Coca-Cola Zero

"Accident"
Brand: Coca-Cola Zero

The prestigious Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival is the only annual gathering of the world's advertising, creative, direct marketing, interactive, film, radio, media, sales promotion and marketing communities.

Each year, approximately 8,000 industry figures from 75 countries gather in Cannes, France to share best practices, attend cutting-edge seminars and network with colleagues. During the festival week, participants absorb more than 22,000 ads in eight categories: film, press, outdoor, interactive, radio, media, direct marketing and sales promotion.

The Coca-Cola Company and its partner agencies previously received Cannes Lion awards in 1969, 1980, 2001 and 2004

--------------------------------------

and while in UK...

------------------------------------------
U.K. DAILY GIVES COCA-COLA ZERO® ITS"STAR CHOICE" AWARD

July 07, 2006 edition

The Daily Star in London gave Coca-Cola Zero its "Star Choice" award in a taste test of diet beverages published June 28 on a Diet & Fitness page.

Coca-Cola Zero, one of 13 nonalcoholic diet beverages the publication’s staff sampled and reviewed, received the paper’s highest score. The paper wrote that Coca-Cola Zero "is going to be a surefire hit this summer."

Coca-Cola Great Britain began rolling out Coca-Cola Zero to select shops and supermarkets in mid June. It will be available in a growing number of locations throughout the summer.

Coca-Cola Zero is the first new trademark Coca-Cola product launched in 22 years in the Great Britain, where Coca-Cola® and Diet Coke® also are available.

---------------------------------------------
Source: The Coca-Cola Company (http://www2.coca-cola.com/ourcompany/whatsnew.html)

MATHA531
07-08-2006, 02:36 AM
"Coca-Cola Zero is the first new trademark Coca-Cola product launched in 22 years in the Great Britain, where Coca-Cola® and Diet Coke® also are available."

I might have to challenge that statement...coca cola vanilla, diet coca cola vanilla, diet coca cola lemon, diet coca cola slime, coca cola slime, coca cola cherry, diet coca cola cherry have all been rolled out the last several years and I consider them new coca cola products.

DietCokeEnthusiast
07-08-2006, 06:51 AM
I'm spending the summer in Scotland and I picked up a 6 pack of Coke Zero (I adore the black label!) and it seems to taste better here than it does back home. Is there any reason for that?

Ram0n C0keah0lic
07-09-2006, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by MATHA531:
I might have to challenge that statement...coca cola vanilla, diet coca cola vanilla, diet coca cola lemon, diet coca cola slime, coca cola slime, coca cola cherry, diet coca cola cherry have all been rolled out the last several years and I consider them new coca cola products. Good Point!

CCE Girlie
07-12-2006, 10:45 PM
I think Southwest Canners still produces it.

popologist
07-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Ramón Cokeaholic:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MATHA531:
I might have to challenge that statement...coca cola vanilla, diet coca cola vanilla, diet coca cola lemon, diet coca cola slime, coca cola slime, coca cola cherry, diet coca cola cherry have all been rolled out the last several years and I consider them new coca cola products. Good Point! </font>[/QUOTE]according to an article i read, coke doesn't consider cherry coke or vanilla coke (etc) new brands... just "flavored" versions of an existing brand.

from what i understand, coke is going to go forward with a "triad" of brands: coke (classic), diet coke and coke zero. each having its own "formula" and flavor extensions, etc.

Ron Albanese
07-13-2006, 07:56 PM
It does seem that CZ is a little under promoted, and as such no one I know really likes it. Personally, I LOVE it - it actually beats my fondness for C2!

Now, what about PIBB ZERO?

I liked that, too ...

XLS_04
07-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Pibb Zero is still around, the thing about Pibb is it was never a national brand.

Ron Albanese
07-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Not to sidetrack us here, but was Pibb EVER national, like back in the '70s?

popologist
07-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Ron Albanese:
It does seem that CZ is a little under promoted, and as such no one I know really likes it. Personally, I LOVE it - it actually beats my fondness for C2! coke zero is spreading slowly, but steadily, like an independent film with good word-of-mouth. it will be awhile before it reaches blockbuster numbers in the US, but... it will get there... someday.

for now, it's kind of the "cool" soda. not quite "underground"... but sort of.

XLS_04
07-17-2006, 01:54 AM
Pibb was never a national brand, however there were some states that carry it and no longer do, and vice versa.

Pibb never was a national brand though.

popologist
07-17-2006, 08:52 AM
coke bottlers probably make a lot of money selling dr pepper. and probably wouldn't be allowed to sell a competing product (i.e., pibb). and, so, coke bottlers would probably rather sell the high-selling pepper, than the unknown pibb.

but i'm just guessing on that. i have no idea.

it seems like coke/pepsi would want to have a competing product with dr pepper. after all, it holds 5% of the soda market... uncontested.

David J.
07-27-2006, 01:38 AM
I noticed that a LOT of the Diet Coke ads, well attract the younger croud and they would be perfect for Coke Zero, which I am asuming is going after the younger croud, no?

popologist
07-27-2006, 02:22 PM
well i just read an article about how coke zero is going to get "pushed to its full potential" in the UK and Europe.

but... why aren't they pushing it in the USA... their biggest market?

it has to be because diet coke is closing in on pepsi. but, even so, why introduce a great product and then not promote it? it's a little frustrating.

mjb1124
07-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Honestly, if I were Coke, I would push Coke Zero much more aggressively. I'd have advertising for it all over, and put it in fountains and vending machines everywhere. Also, I'd cut down considerably on advertisement for Diet Coke, which I think sells itself because people just drink it out of habit. With more aggressive advertisement, the new diet drinkers would all flock towards Coke Zero, and the more casual Diet Coke drinkers would probably eventually switch over as well.

[ 07-27-2006, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: mikibacsi1124 ]

XLS_04
07-28-2006, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by mikibacsi1124:
Honestly, if I were Coke, I would push Coke Zero much more aggressively. I'd have advertising for it all over, and put it in fountains and vending machines everywhere. they already did and still do that.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
07-28-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by David J,:
I noticed that a LOT of the Diet Coke ads, well attract the younger croud and they would be perfect for Coke Zero, which I am asuming is going after the younger croud, no? I don't think so... there's still many ads that attract adult people (with the exception of the skaters ad), for example the Adrien Brody ad, the new "Light it up" campaign, the partnership with the Academy Awards, etc....

popologist
07-28-2006, 02:19 PM
i think coke REALLY wants diet coke to unseat pepsi as the #2 soda. and, if current trends continue, it will only be a few more years.

until then, i think coke zero is on its own. i mean, coke will put it out there... make it available... but it's counting on good word-of-mouth and new dieters to pad its market share.

it's probably a smart business strategy, since coke zero's gain is probably diet coke's loss; but it's a little frustrating to those of us who KNOW that zero tastes so much better than diet coke. ;)

fusion
07-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Coke Zero is meant to go after people who used to drink Classic.. different audience than a hardcore Diet Coke drinker, really.

chris916
08-01-2006, 04:10 AM
The last few times i've been to Target (a large Greatland Target too), they have had NO coke zero, not even a shelf tag for it, which has me worried. They used to have a space for it in the 12 packs, a few rows for 2 liters and some on the coke endcaps, now not a trace.

what's even weirder is that same target is the only place besides costco ( i think) i can find zero in the fountain, and I get one everytime I go even though it tastes funny to me.

Also the Raley's (grocery store) by my house has zero on indefinite sale I guess you could call it. when coke products are on sale, the 12 packs of zero are too, the next weeek when it is pepsi's turn, coke zero 12 packs (and ONLY CZ) are STILL on sale. While that's good for me now, I'm not so sure if it's good in the long run.

CZ cannot die.

[ 08-01-2006, 03:14 AM: Message edited by: chris916 ]

mjb1124
08-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by chris916:
what's even weirder is that same target is the only place besides costco ( i think) i can find zero in the fountain, and I get one everytime I go even though it tastes funny to me.Yeah, I also thought the Coke Zero that I got from a Target fountain a few weeks ago tasted funny. Are they using saccharin in the fountain formula or something?

fusion
08-01-2006, 08:54 PM
We now have coupons for consumers to conduct their own taste test.

Buy 1 20oz of Coke Classic, get 1 20oz of Coke Zero for free.

(or you could mix them and make your own C2!)

Ram0n C0keah0lic
08-01-2006, 11:28 PM
The new Coca-Cola Zero ads are now available at announce.coca-cola.com

http://announce.coca-cola.com/coke_zero-jan06/index.html

popologist
08-02-2006, 02:25 PM
let me be perfectly clear... if coke zero is discontinued, i will NOT go back to diet coke. they'll lose a customer. and i drink A LOT of the stuff. :mad:

[ 08-02-2006, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: popologist ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
08-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Popologist... Coke Zero released a new campaign: Enjoy Coke-ness, so I don't think Coke Zero will be discontinued...

But... why do you say it?... there's lack of Coke Zero in NY? :confused:

[ 08-02-2006, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

popologist
08-04-2006, 06:43 PM
i can't always find it.

i mean, it's around. i guess they just sell out frequently. smile.gif

XLS_04
08-05-2006, 02:43 AM
Well first I would suggest you STOP buying your beverages at Wal-Mart. A supermarket or gas station has better selections.

Secondly, if they still make C2 then I doubt they would get rid of Coke zero that quickly.

DMC
08-07-2006, 03:16 PM
hell no it hasn't been abandoned in the us. we just got our T3 newsletter the other day, and through the months of september through december, we are basically going to have a re-launch program for coke zero with all kinds of special promo's. coke zero isn't going anywhere. coca-cola is convinced it will take off, and while it still doesn't sell well, i've noticed a sell increase in the product over the last 6 months.

also, look for new 24 pack designs here anytime. they're like the new coke 12 pack designs, except on a 24 pack. and i know all areas are different, as we have cube 24's and other's have suitcases, but rumblings are going around the coke may be done with cube 24's. i guess we'll find out soon enough.

popologist
08-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by DMC:
hell no it hasn't been abandoned in the us. we just got our T3 newsletter the other day, and through the months of september through december, we are basically going to have a re-launch program for coke zero with all kinds of special promo's. coke zero isn't going anywhere. coca-cola is convinced it will take off, and while it still doesn't sell well, i've noticed a sell increase in the product over the last 6 months.

also, look for new 24 pack designs here anytime. they're like the new coke 12 pack designs, except on a 24 pack. and i know all areas are different, as we have cube 24's and other's have suitcases, but rumblings are going around the coke may be done with cube 24's. i guess we'll find out soon enough. i hope this is true. they NEED to re-launch this great soda!!! smile.gif

DMC
08-07-2006, 07:46 PM
yes, it's true. like i said, it's in the trimester 3 sales sheet. it's a main priority. i go back to work tomorrow, i'll get more info on it. we're going to be promoting the 20's for a lower price, free coke zero 2 liters with purchase of zero 12-packs, walmarts will be running promo's for 12's for $2.50 or 2 for $5.00, ....things of that nature.

popologist
08-09-2006, 12:02 AM
yes, it's true. like i said, it's in the trimester 3 sales sheet. it's a main priority. i go back to work tomorrow, i'll get more info on it. we're going to be promoting the 20's for a lower price, free coke zero 2 liters with purchase of zero 12-packs, walmarts will be running promo's for 12's for $2.50 or 2 for $5.00, ....things of that nature. thanks for the head's up.

coke zero seems to be on fire everywhere it's introduced... except in the US.

they need to fix that. smile.gif

popologist
08-09-2006, 12:16 AM
also, i think coke should give up on just trying to target coke zero at males. they should aim it at everyone with good taste! ;)

David J.
08-09-2006, 01:12 AM
I think it should be brought to McD's.

I mean they are starting to get all health consecous, so why not?

billygtexas
08-09-2006, 05:20 AM
Getting Coke Zero in McDonalds or any national fast food chain would be a huge boost to it's image.

I think Coke will slowly phase out Diet Coke over the next couple of years as Zero becomes more popular. It happened to Tab in the early 80's when Diet Coke was introduced. It could happen again as more Diet Coke drinkers find out that Zero tastes better and make the switch.

fusion
08-09-2006, 10:44 AM

also, look for new 24 pack designs here anytime. they're like the new coke 12 pack designs, except on a 24 pack. and i know all areas are different, as we have cube 24's and other's have suitcases, but rumblings are going around the coke may be done with cube 24's. i guess we'll find out soon enough. I've seen the new designs for the slab/suitecase 24 packs - in a grocery chain ad (they got artwork early, apparently). Our 24 packs are still the old logos, even the fresh stuff. And Sprite/Sprite Zero 24 packs are their new logos, respectively (but not the "big can" graphics). Makes you wonder why they'd change them again so soon, but then again, they did that with the 12 packs.

And, speaking of Coke Zero, it is mandatory on every display we build. Coke is monitoring Neisen reports and such (they send people into the stores who scan every display in the store, and then the different companies by the data).

We also have a lot of coupons in the stores.. Buy 2 12 packs, get a free 2L of Coke Zero, and make you own taste test - free Coke Zero 20oz when you buy a Coke Classic 20oz.

popologist
08-09-2006, 02:16 PM
i don't think that encouraging people to have their own taste tests is necessarily good for coke zero.

i mean, it's good, but... next to the real thing, the difference is going to be more noticeable. besides, most people switch to diet soda out of necessity (for health reasons or to lose weight, etc). most aren't going to switch "just for the taste."

instead, i think it'd be smarter just to post people in the supermarkets, and, whenever they see someone with diet pepsi in their basket, hand them a coupon for a free 1.5 liter of coke zero.

popologist
08-10-2006, 03:02 PM
i just read this article that says that coke zero has 13% of overall market share in australia and 60% of the diet market! THAT'S ASTOUNDING!

here's the link:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/business/from-zero-to-60-in-seven-months/2006/08/10/1154803030267.html

billygtexas
08-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by popologist:
i just read this article that says that coke zero has 13% of overall market share in australia and 60% of the diet market! THAT'S ASTOUNDING!
(copied from Wikpedia) "In Australia, the company created a controversial front group to promote the product, a campaign of outdoor graffitti and online spamming (which promoted a fake blog), was created by Coca-Cola and designed to appeal to its target audience."

Those kinds of tatics would have backfired in the USA, but it did the trick there.

I wonder what kind of competition Zero has? The article mentions Diet Coke, but is there Diet Pepsi..RC?

[ 08-10-2006, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

popologist
08-11-2006, 08:31 AM
as far as i know, diet coke is sold in australia; but, according to the numbers in that article, coke zero has already passed it (since it has 60% diet market share).

also, i believe pepsi's sugar-free offering in australia is "pepsi max"... which coke zero has also trounced in under 7 months.

and, as for that "quote" from wikipedia... well, i did battle with that guy on that article in the spring. he seems to be an anti-coke guy, and is blowing the whole thing out of proportion. i mean, clearly, if there was such a "scandal", coke zero wouldn't be so popular.

just my two cents.