PDA

View Full Version : World Market sodas

Shatter
06-03-2004, 09:29 PM
Went to World Market today. Found Hansen's Orangeade, which looks interesting. Also bought a bottle of Briar's Red Birch Beer, in the jumbo glass bottle. They also have 4-packs of Cool Mountain now, in Strawberry, Creme, Black Cherry, and Orange. But not my favorite flavor in their line, Watermelon. :( They had quite a bit of Boylan's there, but a lot of it was diet flavors only. They bottle a great Black Cherry, but World Market only had Diet left, and loads of it.

Also picked up some Jolt Cola Energy Rush! mints. I really went there to find some Japanese muskmelon hard candies, but they didn't have them on this trip. Bummer.

What's the selection like at other World Markets? Are they all standard, or do they mix it up a little, change it up from store to store?

BottleBoss
06-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Last time I was at Cost Plus they had Jeffs Egg Cream sodas- chocolate, vanilla, and orange cream. They also had Ginger people ginger beer. This was about 2 months ago. As a whole selection was not real good.

drpep
06-04-2004, 08:29 PM
The one and only time I was in one last month near Charlotte they had Jones in Green Apple(only Jones flavor) a good variety of Boylans, including Cane Cola, plus several sizes of Briars Root Beer and Orange Cream. I think they may have had Afri Cola also.

[ 06-04-2004, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]

fusion
06-04-2004, 08:37 PM
Trader Joe's also carries Boylans now. I buy a cold cane cola for the trip home every time I shop there (which is usually once every 2-3 months).

glassbottlesrule
06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Any Afri you can find snap it up. The supplies have all but dried up. I talked to danny(SS) about it and he said they are temporily out and are in neg. with africoal germany to bring it back. Serious bummer.

drpep
06-04-2004, 09:40 PM
I have a bottle I bought at a coffe shop in Rochester, NY several months ago. I should try it soon.

Cheer-wined
06-05-2004, 12:22 AM
Jungle Jim's had a big supply of Afri-Cola last week. I think I hit them at a good time 'cause all the soda shelves were stocked up.

Our local World Market usually has Afri-Cola, Sprecher, Moxie, Boylan's, Jones, Briar's, Hank's, Ginger People, Tommyknocker.

Shatter
06-05-2004, 01:55 AM
Those are two other soda lines i've seen in World Market, Tommyknocker and Jones. I've got no interest in Jones, and I only like Tommyknocker's Almond Creme Soda. Their root beer is horrifying.

Windmill
06-13-2004, 11:19 PM
Montgomery, Al - Cool Mountain, Boylans, Hank's, Bulldog, Jeff's, Briar's, Tommyknocker

DPDude
06-15-2004, 01:13 AM
World Market in San Antonio, TX: Boylan's soda's (except non-diet black cherry), Cool Mountain (recent addition), Briar's, Hank's, Tommyknocker's, Bulldog and Jones. World Market has recently choked back on the variety that they carry. Six to seven months ago I was able to find all of the Moxie flavors, most of the Sprecher sodas, Afri-Cola and several Frostie flavors but those have since been dropped by the local stores. A buddy of mine questioned the manager about it and was told that World Market would soon only carry Jones and one or two other lines and thats it. Not sure how accurate this prediction will be but it might be worth stocking up on your favorite flavors in the near future.

redcremesoda
06-22-2004, 05:05 PM
Same goes for the Chicago area World Markets. I've seen Briar's, Hank's, Tommyknockers, Cool Mountain, Afri-Cola (though not recently) and Boylan's.

Shatter
06-22-2004, 11:57 PM
What gets me is that they carry Abita Beer, in all their different varieties, but they don't carry Abita Root Beer. That really sucks.

fusion
06-23-2004, 12:38 AM
The reasons why I went out of my way to go to Cost Plus was for the Sprecher, Bundaberg, Frostie, and Afri.

The whole thing just sucks.

[ 06-23-2004, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: fusion ]

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-23-2004, 10:23 PM
they suck poop

sodasommelier
07-24-2004, 10:11 PM
They switch buyers about once a year and the people they hire don't know a thing about sodas; don't know what is good or bad and don't know why they sell what they have or why they should continue or discontinue anything. They also have a tendency to try to buy direct from manufacturers and have as a result gotten alot of dogs like LOCO which they've squeezed out of their stores over more than three years! Also at the store level they do not rotate level properly or order it timely so they are either way overstocked or don't have squat. Behind the scenes they order sporadically and fine their suppliers if the product at the quantity prescribed isn't at their price at the predetermined arrival date. All of this protocall and still they have old product or no product in some stores and a ton of unwanted product in the other. Also they don't know which flavors they should or should not buy; basically they are a big organization with alot of money and not alot of expertise. It's too bad because they have locations all over and they could be a great conduit of interesting drinks if they knew what they were doing...

What you should do is find a local entrepreneur with a cool store in your town and have them bring in mixed pallets (or in the case of real getgoers, a mixed container) from Real Soda. Just watch their success and conveniently, you'll have a place where you can stock up on all you like whenever you want it. There are about 45 people across the country who have done this; I notice many of them mentioned on BevBoard posts. Way to go...

tallflip
07-27-2004, 12:25 AM
i used to work for them for many years. at about the time i left is when they started carrying different sodas. when i was there they only carried a few items such as virgil's root beer, winchester root beer and some ginger beers. at one time i was in charge of buying wine from vendors. we were only allowed to order items that were approved by corporate. i hated this because there were lots of things i tried to get but just could'nt. i've noticed what you have said and you are right, they just don't know what they are doing. i believe they are just trying to carry some sodas to compete with 'beverages and more' which is their competitor for wines in northern california.

Shatter
07-27-2004, 01:59 AM
I remember Winchester Root Beer. It had a stronger, less sweet taste than regular root beers. It came in a giant glass bottle if I recall, kind of like Briar's Root Beer sized bottles.

fusion
10-19-2004, 10:59 PM
We have one opening soon in Delaware. I hope they are carrying some decent brands in there by then.

fusion
11-29-2004, 08:21 PM
I finally made it into the CP that opened a few weeks ago up here.

Here's what I found:

Jones
Briar's (4pks and the larger bottles)
Bulldog RB
Ginger People ginger beer
Boylan's
Hank's
Jeff's

overall, a very disappointing selection. Just a small endcap and 4 feet in the aisle.

Trader Joe's (in the strip mall next to the big-box center that houses CP) also eliminated their cold beverage section, in favor of holiday items like hams and the like. Ugh. Not a good beverage day at all.