PDA

View Full Version : The new Powerade Option

iluvsurge220
07-15-2005, 12:34 PM
I just found the new powerade option at a grocery store last night in three flavors: Lemon, Strawberry, and Black Cherry. I got a 32 oz for 79 cents, but then I tried the black cherry and I think it tastes just like propel. It was still too sweet for me for a sports drink. Anyone have any comments on it.

Mr Zabe
07-15-2005, 12:41 PM
I have yet to see in Chicago.

I'm going to Woodman's in Wisconsin tomorrow.
They are a big Sport Aid store.I bet they have it.
Thanks for the heads up. If it is on sale for .79 I will buy a nice supply.

[ 07-15-2005, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

ramonazo
07-15-2005, 01:08 PM
75 cents for a bottle of Powerade Option! Wow!, here in Mexico a 600 ml (a little bit more than 20 oz.) bottle of Powerade costs 90 cents or even a buck

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7922/marcas108eh.th.jpg (http://img14.imageshack.us/my.php?image=marcas108eh.jpg)

[ 07-28-2005, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

MLCBevGal
07-21-2005, 12:53 PM
32 oz Option for $.79 -- wow that's cheap! Was it on shelf in your grocery store, or was it in an ice barrel or cooler door? I'm curious to hear if it was shelved with Sports Drinks or specialty waters like Propel and Vitaminwater. From the video that Ramonazo showed us months ago -- it said it was a "sports drink", but actually looked like Gatorade's Propel. Thanks for the update -- I'm on the look out here in Chicago as well.

Darren
07-25-2005, 08:48 PM
I did not like the strawberry, tasted too 'diet'.

iluvsurge220
07-26-2005, 02:37 AM
Well, it was just in a little section next to all the sodas and stuff. Just on the shelves with no propel or any other kind of water around it. It does look alot like propel except the different bottle and logo of course, but it also tasted somewhat like it too. I thought it was sweeter but thats just my opinion.

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-26-2005, 09:02 AM
Squeeze tops suck.

SEV

fusion
07-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Option is still pretty hard to find on a consistent basis, most likely because it hasn't been cut into (or paid to be cut into) the sports drinks or water sections. 32oz is 90¢ at Super Wally here.. 83¢ for 20oz.

I think the lemon flavor is the best of the three. The strawberry is too strong.

14floz
07-27-2005, 05:57 PM
where i live powerade in 32oz is on sale for 2 for a dollar almost every week. if it is not on sale it is 79cents.

RunWithDaLilGuy
07-28-2005, 10:49 AM
thank god. they are just trying to blow away gatorade on price, which is fine, because i don't mind powerade.

gatorade's ahead of powerade on packages, i just saw fridgepack 12oz bottles.

fusion
07-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Were they those kiddie flavors, or the real original Gatorade flavors?

If I remember correctly, Powerade was in 12oz bottles long before Gatorade.

Putting them in fridge packaging is a good idea, imho.. how many bottles were in the package?

Mr Zabe
07-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Powerade is a good value. I used to buy it as fall back if Gatorade was not on sale.
The past year or so I noticed a "nice" price war between the two.

I just started drinking powerade Mountain Blast.
Granted I have no idea what exactly it tastes like,
but it does have a nice light taste.
Here again,it's got a light blue color but no flavor listed on the label.

I still have not seen the new powerade Propel like product.

Lastly McDonald's has Powerade Mountain Blast as a fountain drink.
I must say when poured over some ice,
it is real good for breakfast. Koodo's to McDonald's.

[ 07-28-2005, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

BATBL18
07-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Mountain Blast is suppose to be berry flavored. I have noticed though the Gatorade blue flavors ie: Cool Blue and Frost varieties taste like nothing at all. At least Powerade Mountain Blast has a flavor.

My all time favorite Powerade flavor was Tidal Burst. It was sour, and was teal in color. So good, and I loved drinking it. I want it back!!!!!!!

Ohh, check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerade

ramonazo
07-28-2005, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by BATBL18:
Mountain Blast is suppose to be berry flavored. I have noticed though the Gatorade blue flavors ie: Cool Blue and Frost varieties taste like nothing at all. At least Powerade Mountain Blast has a flavor.
You should try Mexican Powerade Mountain Blast, my favorite! Full Berry flavor!

iluvsurge220
07-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Tidal Burst!?! Wow I've never heard of that one.

Mr Zabe
08-06-2005, 02:08 PM
I just found the new powerade option at a grocery store last night in three flavors: Lemon, Strawberry, and Black Cherry. I got a 32 oz for 79 cents, but then I tried the black cherry and I think it tastes just like propel. It was still too sweet for me for a sports drink. Anyone have any comments on it.
I just got back from Woodmans(Kenosha,WI).
They had all three flavors of Powerade Option.
I just tucked them in the fridge for some deep cooling. I will report back with my review. By the way the 32oz bottle was on sale for 79cents. If I like it next trip I will stock up.

I also saw Diet Rite Zero???? I even saw people buying it. LOL

[ 08-06-2005, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
08-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Yeah Kroger has pallets of this stuff in the front of the store selling for prices that would make one think of a liquidation sale.

I picked up a Strawberry flavor, since I'm a huge fan of anything that has a natural strawberry flavor(meaning very few products).

This stuff is ok, but I was also never a huge fan of the 0 calorie sports drinks anyway(although these have 10 calories I believe). It's extremely sweet, the strawberry flavor is average, and its aftertaste tastes like strawberry shortcake(I'm not lying).

On the side of my bottle, it said "Taste beats Propel Berry" and then underneath it "Among those with a preference". I think that's because most people really don't care about this stuff. The 0 calorie sports drink market is a really weak one, I think. I'm not sure Powerade should have invested in competing with Propel. I guess everybody just hates to see one brand dominating a market segment.

I always thought Powerade was better than Gatorade anyway, even though I like both.

SEV

Mr Zabe
08-07-2005, 08:01 PM
It's funny but I go into moods where Powerade seems like the end all. I really like Mountain Blast (light blue,berry flavor). It has for me the perfect taste.

Then a few weeks later, I gotta have Lemon Lime Gatorade!!!! Not only do I need it, I usually drink a whole 32oz bottle all at once. It just tastes good and makes me feel human.

I like variety and I appreciate the fact that we have many choices.

I do agree that in general the Fitness flavored water market is very weak. On the other hand the bottle water market at least by me is way off the charts.

[ 08-07-2005, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Mr Zabe
08-07-2005, 09:00 PM
I just drank a bottle of Black Cherry Powerade Option. Most of the regulars on this board know that I am a soda pop/sports drink freak.

That in mind, I was completely blown away. The black cherry flavor IMO has to be the most realistic rendition of black cherry I have ever tasted in a sports drink or soda pop.

As I type this message,I have a wonderful rich taste of black cherry lingering in my mouth. I'm just guessing but people who are working out would love this drink. This "after glow" of an after taste is very pleasing.

I like the bottle as it is easy to hold. The bottle has a bigger top.

I can't wait to try the Lemon and strawberry flavors.

This new drink is worth a try. I am very impressed.

[ 08-07-2005, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Mr Zabe
08-11-2005, 01:09 PM
I just had my first 32oz bottle of Poweraid Option Lemon. WOW...the lemon flavor remined me of the original Pepsi Lemon soda pop (Pepsi Light?). I really enjoyed the strong lemon taste. This sports drink is not for the faint of heart. I has a consistent and present taste of lemon that glides though it's water base.

So far with black cherry and lemon tasted, I am so up for trying strawberry. I like this new addition to the Powerade line up.

Mello Yello Luver
08-15-2005, 05:17 AM
Man I remeber the good old days - after every football practice in High School I would buy a Poweraid Mountainblast from the Coke machine in my school. It was so refreshing. It was so cold, it was like drinking Ice. I often Mix Poweraid MB with Coke whenever I go to a McDonalds. Good Stuff!!

Mr Zabe
08-15-2005, 06:31 AM
MYL
I so agree with you. Powerade Mountain Blast is very refreshing from the bottle or a soda fountain. I enjoy getting some from McDonalds too.

Funny, when I was a kid Gatorade Lemon Lime was the only choice. It came in glass bottles. Boy on a hot humid summer day, I would take an ice cold bottle and sit in the shade of a big tree. Chugging down the bottle was the ultimate mind freak. Pleasing to the taste buds and mind blowing to the mind.

[ 08-15-2005, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

iluvsurge220
08-23-2005, 06:25 PM
Hey Zabe when you mentioned the powerade lemon tasting like the original pepsi with lemon you said pepsi light. I think it was called pepsi twist.

Look In The Tunk
08-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by iluvsurge220:
Hey Zabe when you mentioned the powerade lemon tasting like the original pepsi with lemon you said pepsi light. I think it was called pepsi twist. Oh no,he means the kind from the 70's-80's:

1983 can:
http://www.usasoda.com/images/pclight5.JPG

1991 (I guess like Coke II Pepsi Light stayed around in some places)

http://www.usasoda.com/images/pclight10.jpg

Mr Zabe
08-23-2005, 06:46 PM
LCVS
You are right. I meant the first Pepsi lemon soda pop from the 70's and 80's. The lemon flavor was nice and strong, to me it tasted like a lemon was squeezed in the can.

Poweraid Option Lemon has that nice strong lemon taste. Lemon lovers will like if for sure.

Thanks for clarifying my point.

Look In The Tunk
08-23-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm a lemon lover and I didn't like Lemon Powerade Option.

It bugged me that it had HFCS in it too. I mean yeah, I can understand with soda, but with an "exercise drink"?

Does gatorade have HFCS in it? I can't remember.

Mr Zabe
08-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Yes, both G and PO have HFCS in low amounts as a source of carbohydrate. Carbo's in a sports drink are important.

iluvsurge220
08-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Sorry about that mistake. I wasn't born till the later 80's so I don't know of anything from back in the 70's. The only thing I remember is Pepsi Twist. I just didn't know.