PDA

View Full Version : The Scene from Pittsburgh 6-5-04

teamtitan512
06-07-2004, 01:36 AM
Here's what I saw in the Steel City.

Cool Packs from ABC are everywhere, from code CB (Columbus). I saw 7Up, Diet 7Up, Cherry 7Up, Diet Cherry 7Up, Sunkist, Diet Sunkist, A&W Root Beer, Diet A&W Root Beer, A&W Cream Soda, Canada Dry, Diet Canada Dry, Vernor's, Squirt, Diet Squirt, RC, Diet Rite Cola, Diet Rite White Grape, Diet Rite Red Raspberry.

It seems that Diet Rite Tangerine disappeared, and Diet Rite Kiwi Strawberry came out in its place. I saw it in Cool Packs.

Country Time, Sunny Delight, Big Red and Cherikee Red, being drinks all franchised off for DPSU, were only seen in the old 3x4 rounded packs.

I was hoping to find some Sun Drop in these parts, but I didn't see it anywhere. I wonder if it's disappearing. I'd hope not :(

Also, some brands of DPSU were there, but only in 3x4 rounded packs. These brands looked possibly endangered, which has me worried on dnL. Ruby Red Squirt was the same way.

It looks like ABC is getting a full-scale rollout of Tahitian Treat. I found 20 oz. in some Super Wal-Mart coolers, and found some in 7-11 as well. Good to see a rare drink. Remember....Hawaiian Punch is PBG's in Pittsburgh.

I thought the plug was pulled on Lipton Brisk Lemonade. Guess not, I saw cubes of it at the Wal-Mart Supercenter in Somerset. I did see Tropicana a lot later in the day though.

On the Coke side of things, I saw a lot of MM Grape Medley (which Eastern Great Lakes is big on). There was no second-coming of Fanta, I didn't see it a single place. CCE-EGL now has Diet Seagram's and Diet Barq's, which I can't remember if they had them before or not.

Dr Pepper and Diet Dr Pepper are in Spider-Man Cool Packs all over town. Last time I was there (February) Red Fusion was still around quite heavily. I didn't see a single sign of it anywhere.

Tropical Sprite Remix I found in Fridge Packs at the Kmarts in Latrobe and Uniontown.

I don't know who was distributing it, but I saw 2 liters of Crush, Hires, and Diet Hires at the Giant Eagle in Washington. I also saw some Cott branded stuff, and some Cotton Club 50/50, still in the 3x4 rounded 12 packs.

As usual, Pepsi and PBG had their insane selection of cubes. I'm sorry but Pepsi Twist, Diet Pepsi Twist, Pepsi Vanilla, Diet Pepsi Vanilla, Mug Root Beer, Diet Lipton Brisk, Diet Schweppes Ginger Ale, Mountain Dew Livewire, and a bunch of others really don't need to be in 24 packs. I saw Hawaiian Punch Green Berry Rush in 12 packs, and enough Brisk to make my head spin (it's barely sold in Cumberland).

Pepsi might be heading away from Sierra Mist too. Many of the coolers I saw didn't even have Sierra Mist in them. In a 4-row cooler, you had 1 for Pepsi, 1 for Diet Pepsi, 1 for Mountain Dew, and 1 for Aquafina. Might be the start of the end for a terrible drink.

Anyway, there's everything you wanted to know about Pittsburgh, and probably, a whole bunch you didn't want to, but oh well.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-07-2004, 01:41 AM
pepsi pushes pepsi, diet, md and aquafina. effectively, sierra mist is their no. 5 beverage.

teamtitan512
06-07-2004, 01:54 AM
Just weird seeing no Mist. But then again, I'm used to seeing Dr Pepper in Pepsi coolers, so the outlook is different. Weird to me there was no pushing of Livewire or Tropicana in the coolers, which I've seen down my way.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-07-2004, 09:31 AM
haven't seen as much livewire since the rollout. like it's not as big of a deal this summer.

Willbev
06-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Livewire is for 3 months only this year, I don't thats worth it to alot of bottlers.

Irishpepsi04
06-09-2004, 02:30 AM
In Western Washington: I've seen plenty of different pop. For PBG Pepsi-Cola: Pepsi, diet Pepsi, CF diet Pepsi, Dr Pepper, Sierra Mist, diet Dr Pepper, CF diet Dr Pepper, Mountain Dew (diet, regular, LiveWire, Red Code), MUG and Slice Orange are in 24 packs in many places, except for MUG and Orange Slice which are in very few places in 24-packs. For 36 packs: Pepsi, diet Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Dr Pepper and Sierra Mist. 12 packs of Pepsi products are in almost every brand PBG offers in Western Washington. For Coca-Cola CCE, in 24 packs: Coke Classic, diet Coke, CF diet Coke, Sprite, diet Sprite, Fresca, and a couple others I can't remember. in 12 packs, it's almost on every Coca-Cola product. But TAB still in 6-packs. There's a Spiderman label on Dr Pepper.

For RC/7up/AW products: 12 packs: RC, diet RC, fruit versions of diet Rite, 7up, diet 7up, DnL, Squirt, diet Squirt, Red Ruby Squirt, diet Red Ruby Squirt (it's common around here now than in 2001..may be due to 7up/Sierra Mist thing?), Vernor's, A&W Root Beer, diet A&W root beer, Sunkist, Big Red, green Hawaiian Punch, red Hawaiian Punch, grape Welch's, strawberry Welch's, Orange Crush, diet Orange Crush. diet Orange Crush is the only diet Orange soda I've seen here. Also Crush Orange Light at Walmarts. in 12 packs! Also forgot to add Vanilla Coke in 24 and 12 packs. Vanilla Pepsi in 24 pack and 12 packs. diet versions are in 12 packs.

[ 06-09-2004, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: Irishpepsi04 ]

Robot
06-09-2004, 02:56 AM
how is diet ruby red squirt? never seen that.. though I do think the diet squirt is decent.. i enjoy the regular ruby red squirt, but cant really drink it anymore now that I am 0 calorie or low calorie soda drinker.

teamtitan512
06-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Crush...no Sunkist in Seattle? What's up w/that?

I thought Diet Ruby Red Squirt was gone, ABC had it here for a while after Herbco dumped it off when CCE bought them, but I haven't seen it for almost a year. Of course, that was the last time I was in Indiana (PA, that is). I might have to go up there, they have a better selection than some of the other ABC areas.

fusion
06-09-2004, 07:03 PM
When I was in Herbco territory around Pittston/Poconos before the buyout, I saw diet RR everywhere, and it seemed to be either outdated, or close to it. Same with Sunkist and Barq's 16.9oz 6pks.

They did get a lot of flavors of cubes from MAC, though.. I specifically remember Barq's, which I have never seen in 24pk after that.