PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Mist Challenge?

mjb1124
07-18-2005, 10:13 PM
I just heard an ad on the radio about the "Sierra Mist Challenge Team". And yes, it's exactly what you were probably thinking - they're going out and performing blind taste-tests that pit Sierra Mist against other lemon-lime sodas (presumably Sprite and 7 Up).

If you ask me, Pepsi is wasting their time with this. I don't think that the results are going to come out in Sierra Mist's favor, and if anything this could prove to be a blow to the brand.

TaB
07-18-2005, 10:16 PM
What about Sundrop?

That's my favourite citrus soda.

Mr Zabe
07-18-2005, 11:05 PM
OMG, what a hoot.

I bet that the product manger and his team have been smoking their lunch or drinking lots of Mad Dog 20/20. What are those clowns thinking, give this test and then pass out a $1 coupon to boost sales? LOL

Hay,Pepsi,why not just make/improve your product. Sierra Mist is right up there in Diet Mount Dew.
I say fix those two and your flock of soda drinkers will appreciated it.

[ 07-18-2005, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

ramonazo
07-19-2005, 12:53 AM
I made the Pepsi Challenge twice, and I choose Coke on both...

In Mexico Pepsi didn't launched the Pepsi Challenge again, the last one was in 1994, and Pepsi showed in their ads the bottle of Coke and the bottle of Pepsi, and obviously Pepsi assumed the triumph saying that exactly the 51.1% of people took the challenge and chose Pepsi. But here in Mexico, differently from U.S., is prohibited to make the comparison between brands in an ad showing the competitor's brand (Coca-Cola in this case), Coca-Cola took advantage of this and sued Pepsi, Coca-Cola won and Pepsi had to pay the equivalent of six minimum wages in Mexico.

And that's why the Pepsi Challenge never happened again here in Mexico...

[ 07-18-2005, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-19-2005, 09:23 AM
Yo TaB, Sun Drop is a caffinated yellow citrus soda, and I doubt one would be able to put it in a clear syrup challenge.(random side note, I noticed on my Sun Drop can that one can has 200 calories in it, as opposed to most which are 120, or even 100. It has significantly more sugar in it.)

They better not let me and Zabe do this challenge, because we'd play dumb and pretend not to be able to tell until we drank all their soda.

SEV

TaB
07-19-2005, 02:50 PM
I know that.

But it beats the pants off the rest of them citrus sodas.

Robot
07-19-2005, 02:51 PM
sierra mist free is actually a really good diet lemon lime..

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Yeah Tab, you're definitely right on that one.

SEV

jmyjunk
07-19-2005, 04:25 PM
7 up is the Grand Daddy of all "lemon lime soft drink" (Lemon Lime is a joke, it neither taste like lemon or lime.)
Sprite is a second, but not as good as 7up. Sierra Mist is alright. Not bad, but nothing like 7up. I argee they are wasting their time.

[ 07-19-2005, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: jmyjunk ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-19-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm a big Survivor fan, and a few seasons ago, Sierra Mist was one of the companies with which Survivor "conveniently" partnered.

So as a reward for one of the physical challenges one week, they got a basket full of Sierra Mist 20oz's. Of course, they were ecstatic, because it wasn't cononuts or corn meal.

I bet it tasted pretty good right then... but otherwise? Not so much. :D

Mr Zabe
07-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Just speaking for myself. If I were on Survivor,lets say week 5, and they gave us a bunch of Sierra Mist as a reward;I would rather drink swamp water.

I tried with an open mind. Cans,2ltr,20oz,16.9oz and fountain,I tried them all. Ice cold with food and not with food, Sierra Mist just does not live up to Slice Lemon Lime,Sprite or 7up.

Sprite and 7up are IMO my two trusted Lemon Lime facsimile soda pops.

[ 07-19-2005, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-20-2005, 09:15 AM
What's kind of funny is that this is the "Sierra Mist" challenge.

But, I have a feeling that if people take a blindfolded taste test of the lemon lime sodas, Sierra Mist won't win...

That's really funny. It's like if Coke always won on the PEPSI Challenge. :D

Sierra Mist is unwittingly funding its own reality check(that their soda isn't very good) and possibly their demise!

SEV

ryaxnb
07-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Sierra Mist is one of my favorite lemon-limes - way better then sprite.

SURGE
07-20-2005, 04:42 PM
I agree with the sentiment on Sierra Missed. See the sig.

jblaviback
07-23-2005, 02:45 PM
I did not do the challenge but my Mom and Sister did , my Mom said she pointed to the one on the left and then the guy took the one on his left and said see it's sierra mist even though my Mom was talking about the other on

fizzbizz
07-23-2005, 02:59 PM
I was told that the Challenge would only be against Sprite. I think all the research says that 7 up will beat Mist so thay don't want to embarrass themselves

Mr Zabe
07-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Too bad your Mom did not have a tiny camera in her eye glasses or blouse. It sure sounds like one of those shell games that con men us to squeeze money out of gullible marks.

What a lame way to hype a bad selling/bad tasting product. :(

BottleBoss
07-24-2005, 01:12 PM
I finally tried this after all these years. I didn't think it was that bad. I would still rather have one of the old standbys though.

DietCokeEnthusiast
07-31-2005, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by SnappleElementsVenom:
I'm a big Survivor fan, and a few seasons ago, Sierra Mist was one of the companies with which Survivor "conveniently" partnered.

So as a reward for one of the physical challenges one week, they got a basket full of Sierra Mist 20oz's. Of course, they were ecstatic, because it wasn't cononuts or corn meal.

I bet it tasted pretty good right then... but otherwise? Not so much. :D Well...in Amazon, they had a refrigerator full of Cokes (I think regular, vanilla, and cherry....but it may have been just Vanilla).

Delicious!

RunWithDaLilGuy
07-31-2005, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by TaB:
What about Sundrop?

That's my favourite citrus soda. Sundrop is considered a "lemonade" based soda. So is Mountain Dew, Mello Yello and any other derivatives.

Sierra Mist, Sprite, Upper 10, Storm etc... are Lemon-Lime sodas...

Squirt, Citra are grapefruit based.

Sundrop couldn't go against Sierra Mist, as they are in different categories of sodas. Apples to oranges...

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-31-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by RunWithDaLilGuy:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TaB:
What about Sundrop?

That's my favourite citrus soda. Sundrop is considered a "lemonade" based soda. So is Mountain Dew, Mello Yello and any other derivatives.

Sierra Mist, Sprite, Upper 10, Storm etc... are Lemon-Lime sodas...

Squirt, Citra are grapefruit based.

Sundrop couldn't go against Sierra Mist, as they are in different categories of sodas. Apples to oranges... </font>[/QUOTE]I do believe I pointed this out earlier in this thread. But I don't mean to take away from your post...

I guess it makes sense that they're "lemonade based". They're definitely heavier than the lemon limes and also caffinated. I've yet to try a lemon lime that lives up to a yellow citrus soda.

SEV

Hacksaw
08-01-2005, 01:22 AM
I like Sprite better. I used to be even better when they used real sugar. Sierra Mist tastes like they added some water to 7up.

Whooppee Lemon-Lime is the king of this flavor IMHO, but they seem to be having some kind of disruption in supply.

Mr Zabe
08-01-2005, 09:18 AM
My final thoughts(said in jest).

What makes Sprite and 7up so much more pleasing to the pallet is the robust taste. Yes, they are sweetened with HFCS but the lemon lime flavors have a distinct presence that sooths ones tastes buds. Sierra Mist tastes like sweetened carbonated water with a mild squeeze of lemon and lime.

[ 08-01-2005, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

mjb1124
08-29-2005, 10:35 PM
Well, they set up the Sierra Mist Challenge on my campus today, and of course I took part in it. I was able to tell Sprite and Mist apart easily just by tasting them, and of course I voted for Sprite. Thankfully, they didn't try to pretend or decieve me into thinking I voted for Mist.

On another note, I gave Sierra Mist Free another try yesterday. Previously I had tried it from a 2-liter bottle and thought it tasted "funny", but now I'm thinking it might have been flat. I think this stuff has a pretty good lemon-lime flavor with little aftertaste. In fact, it's pretty similar to the aspartame/ace-K Diet 7UP formula they had up until recently, and as a result, I have found a replacement for Diet 7UP.

ramonazo
08-29-2005, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by mikibacsi1124:
Well, they set up the Sierra Mist Challenge on my campus today, and of course I took part in it. I was able to tell Sprite and Mist apart easily just by tasting them, and of course I voted for Sprite. Thankfully, they didn't try to pretend or decieve me into thinking I voted for Mist.The same happened to me in the Pepsi Challenge, I tasted both Coke and Pepsi and I quickly gave my vote to Coke, they haven't pretended me to vote for Pepsi, but at the end they dumped the glass of Coke to the trash and gave me the glass of Pepsi as a "thanks for participate"... ugh!

[ 08-29-2005, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

Android
08-30-2005, 01:20 AM
I'll have to do a Diet 7up/Mist Free taste test I guess. Pepsi in Wyoming still carries 7up so Mist is not to be found here, so I'll have to keep an eye open next time I'm in Colorado.
I had been bringing a half liter of diet 7up to work with me every workday, but the other day I ran out of the good old aspartame ones and got into the Splenda ones. ack.

andy

[ 08-30-2005, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: Android ]