PDA

View Full Version : Does canadian coke or pepsi contain sugar or hfcs?

SplitLevelP
06-25-2006, 06:30 PM
Someone on Sulute to soda board was talking like it has sugar but idk.If anyone knows the composition let me know.Thank you.

Popboy
06-26-2006, 02:48 PM
I happen to have a can in my hand and after Carbonated Water it says... Sugar/Glucose-Fructose.

SplitLevelP
06-27-2006, 04:25 PM
while looking up the gluclose-fructose mix to understand what it is.When it came to the search I found this and I will quote the area that iam not clear on.

Like ordinary corn syrup, the high fructose variety is made from corn starch using enzymes. The production process of HFCS was developed by Japanese researchers in the 1970s. HFCS was rapidly introduced in many processed foods and soda drinks in the US over the period of about 1975–1985, and usage continues to increase as sugar use decreases at a nearly one to one level (Bray, 2004 & U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, Sugar and Sweetener Yearbook series, Tables 50–52.).

By increasing fructose content of corn syrup (glucose), the syrup is more comparable to table sugar (sucrose). This makes it useful to manufacturers as a possible substitute for sugar in soft drinks and other processed foods. Unlike sucrose, "HFCS consists of a mixture of glucose and fructose, which doesn't require an enzymatic step to break it down before absorption in the intestine." (does this mean it's corn syrup with a fancy name?)

Through enzymatic processing, the fructose content of corn syrup can be increased to yield a product with similar properties to table sugar. Common commercial grades of high fructose corn syrup include fructose contents of 42%, 55%, or 90%. The 55% grade is most commonly used in soft drinks and equivalent to caster sugar.

So what does this mean? is it a simple sugar or hfcs.

Zap
06-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Glucose-Fructose syrup is the Canadian wording for HFCS. Glucose Syrup is the equivalent of Corn Syrup on a US label.

The Sugar/ thing appears to be an AND/OR so it could be whichever is cheaper, though I thought I've read that Canada is mainly using HFCS like the US.

Popboy
06-28-2006, 08:50 PM
While looking at many different Soda Pop labels, I noticed all of them have the Sugar/Glucose-Fructose formula. While it might be similiar to HFCS, I highly doubt it's exactly the same formula, since Health Canada does have very strict Food & Drug regulations...

Health Canada is very particular about ingredients being named accurately on food labels, if High Fructose Corn Syrup was used in our sodas, it would have to say so in plain english. HC does not allow the mincing of words under no circumstances...

[ 06-28-2006, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Popboy ]