PDA

View Full Version : An Epic Soda Quest

treetoptom
06-26-2006, 10:54 AM
I went on an epic quest for Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray soda yesterday. I used to be able to find it locally, but it has become very scarce over the last few years. We went up to Pikesville, MD, which has a large Jewish population figuring we could find it there at a large kosher supermarket. They didn't have it, but the Pikesville Safeway had one six-pack left. While we were there, we also visited a Russian Jewish Deli where we were the only non-Russians in the place (where I found some Russian Orange Fanta amidst about 1,000 different kinds of Kvas) and a Latino market where I found some Mexican pops including Orange Crush and Guatemalan Salvavidas Uva in long neck returnables. I brought in a bottle of Mexi Crush and a bottle of good ol’ American Crush to see if me and two of my work buddies could tell the difference in a blind taste test.

Work saw how much fun our monthly taste-tests have been and have asked bluredoasis and myself to host a soda tasting party for one of our Cultural Initiative meetings. We have decided to expose folks to different sodas in four categories. So far we have:

International/Ethnic – D&G Ginger Beer, Jarritos Tamarind, Cel-Ray, Russian Fanta

Nostalgic – Orange Crush, Hire’s Root Beer, Yoo-Hoo, Squirt

Regional – PA Dutch Birch Beer, Cheerwine, Suburban Almond Smash

Diet (as requested by the ladies) – PA Dutch, Diet Rite Tangerine/Red Raspberry/Black Cherry, Jones Watermelon (mid-calorie). I hope to find diet Orange Crush, which is scarce.

I’m sure we’ll add several others, as well. It’ll be interesting to see if we can get some converts.

bluredoasis
07-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Help

In Maryland (Metro-Area)
Looking for Nehi Grape (hard to find)
& Boylans Birch Beer

thanks..

Ram0n C0keah0lic
07-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Jarritos tamarindo... so recommendable...

fusion
07-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Boylans, try Cost Plus World Market.

Germantown - Milestone Shopping Center (355 @ 27)
Rockville - Mid-Pike Plaza (355 @ Montrose)

or, Trader Joe's

Gaithersburg - Montgomery Village Plaza (behind Lakeforest Mall).
Rockville - Federal Plaza (355 @ Montrose)

Nehi Grape... good luck on that. The closest distributor I have found is H&H Distributing from Urbanna, VA. They have longnecks from Dr Pepper West Jefferson.

their number is 804-758-4115. They deliver up 17 and 301 in eastern Virginia.. not sure how far west they go, or where they deliver the Nehi to. I always find it at the Buy Rite in Warsaw.

What about that.. Sutton Place/Balducci's place?

bluredoasis
07-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks Fusion

bluredoasis
07-20-2006, 01:28 PM
Another Quest: in the Virginia and Maryland area
RC with Cane
China Cola
&
Afro Cola

Thanks..

fusion
07-20-2006, 02:38 PM
H&H also carries the cane RC.

Afri-Cola is not in the US anymore. One of our fellow board members used to be the importer.. but apparently the Afri-Cola company isn't exporting it to the US now.

No idea about the China cola.

bluredoasis
07-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks again Fusion, I went to Buy Rite in Warsaw this past Saturday and found the last 2 Nehi Grape Sodas they had, also found a Cane A&W Root Beer, gooood and Welches Strawberry, which I have never seen in my area.
Thanks a million again..