PDA

View Full Version : C2 vs. Edge

SURGE
06-12-2004, 05:39 PM
After finding C2 and Edge at a local gas station yesterday I decided to buy a few of each and have a "taste off". Both are avalible in 20oz, C2 is also avalible in 8 packs (fridge packs) and Pepsi in unpackaged 6 packs which are very rare around here. To my surprise they are both fairly good representations of their full calorie companions. Granted they are not flawless. I found C2 to contain a bit of an aspertame aftertaste. Edge on the other hand lacked the bite of the regular. As a whole I think people who like Coke will prefer C2 and those who drink Pepsi will enjoy Edge. How they will fare in the future is to be seen but I think more use of alternative sweeteners such as splenda could have lowered the calorie count further with little eddect on taste. I really wish Coke would drop the aspartame.

These are my observations I'm interested in what others think.

drpep
06-12-2004, 08:37 PM
This is how I would describe the 2 also. I'm drinking a Pepsi Edge now and it results in tremendous burps.

XLS_04
06-12-2004, 10:59 PM
Pepsi Edge I give a 4.5 out of 5 for taste.
Coke C2 I give a 4.3 out of 5 for taste.
I agree C2 has a bit of a aspertame (NutraSweet) after taste to it.

The graphics/logo's on both products are nice.
Pepsi and Coke could have used different names though from the one's they chose.

fusion
06-13-2004, 12:11 AM
I am finding an inconsistency in taste for C2. I had a 20oz produced by Silver Spring (SS) today, and I did taste the aspartame aftertaste. I hadn't noticed it in cans from Baltimore (BT) or 20oz from Nacogdoches (NT).

We are running the 8pks at $2.99 pretty much everywhere at this point.

drpep
06-13-2004, 09:58 PM
Edge is the better of the two. Also C2's prices suck. No wonder Coke is using 8 and 18 packs, makes it harder for the consumer to figure out they are paying more.

mjb1124
06-14-2004, 07:50 PM
Edge all the way!

bigrich
06-14-2004, 08:46 PM
C2 is here in Indy, PepsiAmericas has not released Edge here yet. I won't even try one because I don't need to. It looks like CCE is producing the 8-Packs cans here (HO) and 18-Packs in Cincinnati (CN).

DPDude
06-15-2004, 02:06 AM
Pepsi hasn't released Edge in south Texas yet but Coke was on the ball by releasing C2 last week. I tried a bottle over the weekend and was able to finish it, which I can't usually do with straight diet sodas. To me it has that Fresca effect where it tastes good for the first two or three seconds and then hits you with that diet taste. I couldn't see myself drinking this stuff on a regular basis but a bottle or can every now and then mihgt not hurt.

teamtitan512
06-15-2004, 02:44 AM
I didn't try it, but Coke has done a good job getting C2 out here. The cheapest I've seen is $2.79 for an 8 pack at a Wegman's. Most stores were $2.89-$2.99, one Safeway I saw was $3.29. The prices are terrible.

One Kmart I saw had 6 packs of Edge, but it was far and in between. I didn't try either for taste, but what I'm seeing is the initial demand is horribly low. Wal-Mart here got a whole pallet of 8 packs, and in a day, about 5 sold. No joke.

Fusion, do you know where code PB is? I think for some reason that's where our C2 8 packs are coming from. 20 oz. are coming from HG as they should.

fusion
06-15-2004, 03:53 AM
I've never seen PB before.

The only P codes I can think of are PH (Philadelphia.. bottle line) and PT, which is Portales NM (Southwest Canners).

I assume the cans just say a member of CCB (or maybe CCE).

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-15-2004, 12:22 PM
PR - portage, indiana.

in michigan, we've gotten it from DT and GR, detroit and grand rapids. it seems that both facilities are capable of 18pks and 8pks. both are running 20oz pet too

chrisok
06-15-2004, 02:33 PM
C2 hit the shelves in Oklahoma City yesterday. It wasn't nearly as sweet as the promotional bottle I tried, but it did have less aftertaste. 20 oz. bottles are selling for around 99 cents. 8 pack cans are selling for around 2.19.

Psycho Hillbilly
06-15-2004, 03:19 PM
I bought an Edge yesterday for 50 cents at a local Albertsons in Dallas, while C2 was 1.09. I preferred the C2, but I'm more of a Coke drinker anyway.

I'm not a diet fan at all, and neither were as bad as I thought they were going to be. But neither was as good as I'd hoped. Both had a bit of an aftertaste upon first sip, but it went away as I drank more.

I don't think I'd buy either on a regular basis. When I can't have regular soda, water is my next choice.

[ 06-15-2004, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Psycho Hillbilly ]

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-15-2004, 05:37 PM
in michigan, c2 is priced at 3.19 for 8pks and 1.19 for 20oz. PLUS DEPOSIT.

Coke04
06-15-2004, 10:53 PM
I don't think your average person is going to look at the different prices of C2 and go, "Oh, that's 5-15 cents more per can! I'll pass!"

fusion
06-15-2004, 11:01 PM
By the way they are snapping up the 8oz 6pk cans at $1.99 (which works out to be $5.97 for the same amount of soda as in a 12pk of 12oz cans), I'd say you are right.

Same with the new PET fridgepacks. We are selling a ton of them at $3.99-$4.99. I've never seen a package sell like that at such a high price per ounce.

fusion
06-16-2004, 04:01 AM
To avoid any confusion, I wasn't referring to C2 in that last post.. that was about Coke/Sprite/Diet Coke in 8oz cans and PET fridgepacks.

I don't think a $2.99 price point is going to deter anyone who becomes a loyal C2 drinker.

[ 06-16-2004, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: fusion ]

Irishpepsi04
06-16-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
By the way they are snapping up the 8oz 6pk cans at $1.99 (which works out to be $5.97 for the same amount of soda as in a 12pk of 12oz cans), I'd say you are right.

Same with the new PET fridgepacks. We are selling a ton of them at $3.99-$4.99. I've never seen a package sell like that at such a high price per ounce. Hi fusion. Been a while. Could the high price per ounce be due to low demand for 8-oz cans or just a new market? Does prices go down when the new products stablize? Brian

fusion
06-16-2004, 05:56 PM
8oz are actually selling a lot more than you'd think. $1.99 is a reasonable price, I've seen them really not sell at 2/$5 (they ended up at the dollar store because they just sat in the warehouse).

Prices actually seem to go up after the initial launch, but then with ad activity, they fluctuate a good bit. I don't see them raising the price on the 8oz, though.

Also, we do a lot of coupons when something first comes out, but they expire after 3-5 months.

[ 06-16-2004, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

Lepke
06-16-2004, 10:25 PM
Tried a Pepsi edge today. I’m a hard-core Pepsi drinker and nothing else will do.
In my opinion Pepsi edge taste like half Pepsi and half diet Pepsi. I did not like it and wont drink it again. I think they should have taken out half the sugar as they did and left out the sucralose. Just Pepsi with half the sugar or in this case corn syrup might work. I remember back in the 70’s they introduced the first incarnation of Pepsi lite it was half the sugar and a twist of lemon without artificial sweetener. It was good.

No Soda
06-16-2004, 10:35 PM
Why the higher price and smaller 8 packs? Are the sweeteners more expensive??

fusion
06-17-2004, 01:26 AM
They are trying to position it as a premium product. The company feels they can charge more for it. But if they put it in 12pks and 2L, people would expect it to cost the same as the rest of the 12pks. So, to get around that, they used 8pks.

fixman88
06-17-2004, 02:16 AM
I first tried Coke C2 last weekend and I actually like it (the little bit of aftertaste isn't that noticable to me). I think it's a pretty good comparison to the original (which suprised me), and it's really refreshing when I'm hot (regular soft drinks give me a stomachache (too much sugar) when I get hot (which is almost every day; where I work doesn't have air conditioning.) Pepsi Edge, on the other hand, tastes too sweet, and lacks the bite the original has.

Coke04
06-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Question-- anyone know when these will be available in 2 liter?

fusion
06-17-2004, 08:56 PM
No 2 liter for C2. I've heard rumblings of a 1.5 liter, but I haven't seen anything official on that. I've seen some advance pricing for Edge, they are due to have 2 liter and 12 pack, priced the same as the rest of the Pepsi line. I figure they're going to ride out the 20oz and 6 pack can intro for as long as they can.

drpep
06-17-2004, 09:29 PM
Coke can not have C2 in 2 liter. Doing that would show the consumer they are being screwed on price when they compare C2's price to Coke Classic's price.

Android
06-17-2004, 11:26 PM
Didn't know C2 was out. Was on a long road trip recently and at one point saw Edge on display at a C-store and thought I'd try it. I didn't really care for it, I think I'd rather drink Diet Pepsi than Edge.

But I do wonder how it would taste if they had blended the sucralose with cane sugar instead of corn syrup...

andy

XLS_04
06-18-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
No 2 liter for C2. I've heard rumblings of a 1.5 liter, That is very stupid not having a 2 liter bottle! I also hear from people that have the 1.5 liter bottles in their area that they are a rip off and would rather have th 2 liter bottle. "aparently Coke is test marketing all their products in that size so there are no 2 liters there".

billygtexas
06-18-2004, 08:04 AM
I tried both Pepsi Edge and Coke C2 when I was in Oklahoma this weekend. I usually drink Diet Pepsi, Diet Dr Pepper and Diet Sunkist (which is excellent, why isnt there a review here?) and decided to give both a try. I thought Coke C2 tasted bland and watered down with a strange aftertaste simular to Diet Coke after I drank it. Pepsi Edge's taste was stronger, sweeter and got my vote between the two.

Still, I think these half-diet colas are just "fad colas" to quickly cash in on the Adkins craze and unless they promote the hell out of them or discount prices they'll never catch on. Regular cola drinkers wont like the weaker taste, and dieters will think 45-50 calories is way too much and go back to diet sodas. I wish Coke and Pepsi could get the calorie count down to 20-30 and get rid of most or all of the sodium.

BTW Does anyone know if RC or Dr. Pepper is coming out with a simular mid-diet cola? Just curious!

[ 06-18-2004, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

PhillySteve
06-18-2004, 11:24 AM
I don't see RC doing a mid-cal because of their relatively small market share. Plus their diet sodas (Diet RC, Diet Rite) are already among the best out there.

Dr Pepper was toying with the idea of a mid-cal cherry-vailla flavor. Has anyone heard anything lately if it's a go?

7up Plus isn't truly a mid-cal, but it is sweetened primarily with splenda and gets some sugar and calories from fruit juice.

SURGE
06-19-2004, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by dr pepperman:
Edge is the better of the two. Also C2's prices suck. No wonder Coke is using 8 and 18 packs, makes it harder for the consumer to figure out they are paying more. I wouldnt bash Coke too quickly. Around here the C2 8 packs are 2.19 while the Edge 6 packs are 1.99. So on a per can basis the C2 is a nibble cheaper. Either way does anybody know why the high price? Im assuming is just to make it seem more "premium" since the ingredients are nothing special. Eiher way I expect both prices to come down soon.

PhillySteve
06-19-2004, 02:00 PM
I wouldnt bash Coke too quickly. Around here the C2 8 packs are 2.19 while the Edge 6 packs are 1.99. So on a per can basis the C2 is a nibble cheaper. Either way does anybody know why the high price? Im assuming is just to make it seem more "premium" since the ingredients are nothing special. Eiher way I expect both prices to come down soon. The thing is, Pepsi already has plans to release Edge in 2L and 12-packs and the pricing will be the same as the rest of their line.

Coke doesn't have any plans on releasing C2 in traditional sizes (other than 20oz which isn't a "take home" package.) They're only in 8 and 18-packs which the latter are 6.99 around here (a 12-pack at that pricing would be 4.66!). Instead of 2L they are planning 1.5L which is also priced higher per ounce than other packages.

mjb1124
06-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by PhillySteve:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> I wouldnt bash Coke too quickly. Around here the C2 8 packs are 2.19 while the Edge 6 packs are 1.99. So on a per can basis the C2 is a nibble cheaper. Either way does anybody know why the high price? Im assuming is just to make it seem more "premium" since the ingredients are nothing special. Eiher way I expect both prices to come down soon. The thing is, Pepsi already has plans to release Edge in 2L and 12-packs and the pricing will be the same as the rest of their line.

Coke doesn't have any plans on releasing C2 in traditional sizes (other than 20oz which isn't a "take home" package.) They're only in 8 and 18-packs which the latter are 6.99 around here (a 12-pack at that pricing would be 4.66!). Instead of 2L they are planning 1.5L which is also priced higher per ounce than other packages. </font>[/QUOTE]Well, in NYC, Coke has put everything into 1.5L bottles and they seem to be replacing the 2L bottles. So I guess in order for C2 to be more expensive than the other Coke products in my area, Coke would have to put it in 1.25 and/or 1.75 liter bottles.

chrisok
06-20-2004, 02:30 AM
I very well could be wrong, but it seems to me that the higher prices for C2 appears to be a regional thing. Around here (Oklahoma Ciry), C2 is around 2.29 for an 8-pack and 18 packs are going for around 4.79. At Wal Mart, 8 packs are 2.18 and 18 packs are 4.68. Compared to 3.49 for 12 packs of regular Coke products, C2 is actually priced lower per can than regular products. I spoke with a Coke rep this evening, and he said that there weren't any plans to raise the price later on either. I also found it interesting that the folks at Great Plains Coke apparently don't have very high expectations for C2.

Coke04
06-20-2004, 10:39 PM
Yeah-- it must depend on where you look. C2 is only 3 cents more per can than Edge in most stores around me.

teamtitan512
06-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Here it's not expectations that look dim, it's sales. Food Lion here has a whole pallet of 8packs of C2 on sale for $2.50 each (regular will be $2.99), and about 5 sold in an entire day. This store is the only food store in that town, and hopes look far worse elsewhere.

I saw 18 packs of C2 for $5.48 which is insane...and that was a Wal-Mart, and from CCE Mid-Atlantic. Interesting Great Plains Coke would be cheaper than them, don't you think?

I've said it before on this, and since I'm always anti-Pepsi it seems, it might surprise some, but I think Edge is the only one w/even a fighting chance.

teamtitan512
06-20-2004, 11:22 PM
BTW, Fusion, I'm an idiot. My eyes slipped to the code for the day it was bottled. It was actually code LP, for Coke Northern New England.

Either way, it doesn't look like anyone here can sell it so far. The free Pepsi Edge 20 oz. in USA Today might help stimulate sales for it.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-21-2004, 01:18 AM
i've been talkin to some cce merchers around lansing, mich and they say it's selling, but not selling as fast as everyone thought it would. dum, dum dum dum daaaaaaaah

fusion
06-21-2004, 01:26 AM
20oz sales are picking up. I have 4 slots in 2 coolers allocated to C2 in Wal-Mart, and they are about half-empty every day. Not too bad for a non-core brand.

Today was also sampling at Wal-Mart. 500 cans were given away at regular stores, I figure 1000 or more at supers.

It's definately off to a slow start. A lot slower than Vanilla, which was our last big product launch. I just don't think they built up enough hype pre-launch this time.

Energydude
06-21-2004, 02:08 AM
Ummmm.. Fusion... the hype is not the problem the product is! It simply does not make sense.

If I want sugar I drink it and do not care.

If I don't want sugar I don't want any.... not less .... none!!!!

Who is going to buy this stuff long term?

Make the core product better and quit messing around!

Here is a hint....... USE REAL SUGAR!!!

It will make your product better!!!

We all know it..... so do it!

Cokeologist
06-21-2004, 08:41 AM
C2 is available in 13.2oz PET bottles in convenience stores in Charlotte.

Coke04
06-21-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Energydude:
Ummmm.. Fusion... the hype is not the problem the product is! It simply does not make sense.

If I want sugar I drink it and do not care.

If I don't want sugar I don't want any.... not less .... none!!!!

Who is going to buy this stuff long term?

Make the core product better and quit messing around!

Here is a hint....... USE REAL SUGAR!!!

It will make your product better!!!

We all know it..... so do it! I would buy it long term. Like I've said before-- regular colas have a lot of calories, and I don't like the taste of diet.

XLS_04
06-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Sadly C2 is only Coke and diet Coke mixed together. It would have been better if they made a seperate formula like diet coke and regular coke but they did not.

Pepsi Edge tastes a little better because it does not have that diet aftertaste.

XLS_04
06-21-2004, 09:31 PM
Another thing I wanted to mention was that I think Pepsi does a better job with their diet colas.

mjb1124
06-21-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by XLS_04:
Another thing I wanted to mention was that I think Pepsi does a better job with their diet colas. I agree that Pepsi does a better job than Coke with their diet sodas, as does DPSU.

Coke04
06-21-2004, 11:27 PM
Have you ever actually tried mixing Coke and Diet at a fountain? It tastes like Diet Coke with a spoonful of sugar. C2 is good, and I like it better than Edge.

mjb1124
06-21-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Coke04:
Have you ever actually tried mixing Coke and Diet at a fountain? It tastes like Diet Coke with a spoonful of sugar. C2 is good, and I like it better than Edge. Actually, I do it at Subway all the time. I agree with your description of the taste, but I like it.

teamtitan512
06-22-2004, 12:34 AM
Here in Central territory, I'd be shocked if it makes it to the end of the year. It doesn't sell in 8 packs or 20 oz. at all, at Wal-Mart, Martin's, or Food Lion.

Wal-Mart has a pallet of it, and about 5 8 packs have been taken off it in a 3 day period LOL.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-22-2004, 10:58 AM
it really isn't selling at all, is it? i thought it would

bigrich
06-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Hey Teamtitan in Central Territory does MAC do cans for C2. I was in Kokomo Coke Territory the other day and they buy from MAC. All their C2 came from CCE (HO) or (CN). I'm thinking MAC may not even want to mess with it.

teamtitan512
06-22-2004, 06:55 PM
Nope. They are coming from Londonderry, NH (code LP) Coke Northern New England here. I don't think MAC is bothering, or they are waiting to see how it sells.

If Cumberland is an indicator of all Central territory, it might be as shortlived as Fanta was here.

bigrich
06-22-2004, 07:42 PM
I noticed today in Indianapolis C2 multipacks are gone in some Kroger stores. There is not a chance it has sold out. Other stores I visited have barely had a dent put in their initial supply.

[ 06-22-2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

Fufu-Leth
06-22-2004, 08:02 PM
Hm... Our Hy-Vee [Smiliar to Krogers] sold out of C2... but we havn't even got Edge here yet....

teamtitan512
06-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Wal-Mart here quit selling C2 8 packs already, and Food Lion might as well, considering the 2 for $5 sale has knocked about 5 off the pallet, no joke.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-22-2004, 09:39 PM
there's no ads
there's no telling what c2 is on the package
what is it, it's red and from coke. i think the packaging is a blundr

fusion
06-22-2004, 10:57 PM
I have seen lots of ads.

2/$5 at Food Lion, 3/$8 at Acme (Albertson's), $2.99 at Giant-Carlisle, 2/$5 at Super Fresh (A&P)

18pks 2/$10 at ShopRite, $5.99 at Acme.

Wal-Mart had sampling this past weekend. We gave away 500 cans per store (we only have 3 discount stores in our area, no supers. Though one is in the conversion process and another will be relocating in a year or so).

teamtitan512
06-23-2004, 01:14 AM
Report from Bedford, PA:

This store is not selling C2 at all. The cooler was just stocked, and C2 was nowhere to be found in it. NO 8 packs either. I was going to check Giant Eagle and Weis there, but both were closed (and it was 10:00!). Bedford's a dippy little place anyway, I'm amazed the Wal-Mart was even open until midnight.

fusion
06-23-2004, 01:36 AM
Bedford is Central territory, correct?

golee1
06-23-2004, 02:24 AM
here in Staunton VA (Central territory), all Food Lions were sent a full pallet of C2 8-packs, and most are now sending them back with only 10-20 cases gone. 20 ounce seem to be selling decent, at least at the Wal-Marts.

ColaFan
06-23-2004, 02:34 AM
I see lots of info on how the C2 is selling.... how is Pepsi Edge doing ????

bigrich
06-23-2004, 02:42 AM
A Pepsi Americas Rep. said they are having a hard time getting Edge authorized in most accounts.

[ 06-23-2004, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

Coke04
06-23-2004, 07:54 PM
What does that mean, bigrich?

bigrich
06-23-2004, 11:39 PM
He said chains like some c-stores and supermarkets have authorization lists. If it is not on the list or added to the list (approved) it can't be brought in. I work for Dollar General and we stock Pepsi products. Pepsi Edge is not authorized. If he brings it in they won't pay the bill. He said they also have a problem with Pepsi One in some accounts including ours.

XLS_04
06-24-2004, 12:27 AM
Pepsi One is harder to find now in New England.

I have noticed Pepsi Edge not being available in alot of places still too, I have not seen any displays for Pepsi Edge here yet either.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-24-2004, 01:17 AM
the only displays pepsi is doing in michigan is with sixpack cans, so far the only package edge is in. well, that and 20oz

Coke04
06-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by bigrich:
He said chains like some c-stores and supermarkets have authorization lists. If it is not on the list or added to the list (approved) it can't be brought in. I work for Dollar General and we stock Pepsi products. Pepsi Edge is not authorized. If he brings it in they won't pay the bill. He said they also have a problem with Pepsi One in some accounts including ours. Okay, thanks.

fusion
06-24-2004, 09:23 PM
And if it's not on the list, then it's not in the computer system, so it won't scan at the register or the back door. Some stores can manually add items, but the corporate people don't like them to do that.

teamtitan512
06-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Bedford is Central. Bedford, Fulton, Franklin, Adams, York, and part of Cumberland is Central's PA territory.