PDA

View Full Version : Workplace Root Beer Showdown Round 2 Results

treetoptom
06-30-2006, 01:07 PM
The results are in on Round 2 of the workplace Root Beer Showdown. Ten of us sampled 12 different brews this time around. Based on the number of ballots that the root beers appeared on and their highest ranking (one point for appearing on the ballot and an additional point for each #1 ranking), there was a clear-cut winner with Abita coming out on top with eight of ten ballots and four #1 rankings, followed closely by A&W (seven of 10 ballots and three #1 rankings) and Stewart’s which got no #1 votes but eight second or third place votes. Kind of surprising that a microbrew would win out over the big mass-market seller:

THE BEST:

Brand (No. of top 3 ballots; #1 rankings; No. of points; Highest rank)

Abita (8; 4; 12; 1)
A&W (7; 3; 10; 1)
Stewart’s (8; -; 8; 2)
IBC (4; 1; 5; 1)
Mug (2; 1; 3; 1)
Hank’s (1; 1; 2; 1)

There was a clear-cut winner for worst, with Tommyknockers Root Beer Float coming in on eight of ten ballots and five #12 rankings followed by a tie between Jones (six of ten ballots and one last place vote) and Boylan (four of ten ballots and three last place votes). Kind of surprised that Jones in bottles did so poorly, I’ve had Jones Root Beer in cans that I thought was pretty decent. Maybe it was a bad batch:

THE WORST

Brand (No. of bottom 3 ballots; #12 rankings; No. of points; Lowest rank)

Tommyknocker (10; 5; 15; 12)
Jone’s (6; 1; 7; 12)
Boylan (4; 3; 7; 12)
Tom’s (6; -; 6; 11)
Hank’s (1; 1; 2; 12)
Abita (1; -; 1; 11)
Chowning’s (1; -; 1; 11)
Mug (1; -; 1; 10)
IBC (1; -; 1; 10)
Point Premium (1; -; 1; 10)

I know we said we would put Barq's in the showdown, but when we went looking for it at the last minute at 7-11 (the largest store within walking distance in our small town), there was none to be found and nobody felt like driving to Food Lion.

Next up: Root Beer Showdown Finals will pit Round 1 winner Frostie (12 points) up against Round 2 winner Abita (12 points). After that, Grape Soda.

[ 06-30-2006, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: treetoptom ]

SURGE
06-30-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm surprised Mug didnt do worse. Its horrible flavorless dirt water which should have been replaced years ago. Its so low in the taste department I hardly would call it a root beer.

CStoreCatMan
06-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by SURGE:
I'm surprised Mug didnt do worse. Its horrible flavorless dirt water which should have been replaced years ago. Its so low in the taste department I hardly would call it a root beer. Mug isn't a bad root beer considering its made by one of the Big 3 beverage giants. Actually it won a best taste award from American Culinary ChefsBest 2006...whatever that is!! :D There are worse root beers out there (Barq's)..cough.

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-01-2006, 12:57 AM
You've got Food Lions that far north?

treetoptom
07-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Food Lion has a store in Upper Marlboro (where we work) but also in Howard, Montgomery and Baltimore Counties as well.

fusion
07-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Food Lion has four locations in Pennsylvania, and in most parts (though sparsely in some areas) of Maryland.

There are four locations in the area I work in - Harford & Cecil Counties (east of Baltimore). None in northern Delaware, but a fair amount in the south.

sirslash
07-20-2006, 03:42 PM
man barqs is my favorite root beer followed by A&W

boylans is garbage, i prefer Goose island