PDA

View Full Version : Preaching the Word

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-04-2006, 01:21 PM
This summer I'm working at a Safeway as a cashier.

Being able to survey people's purchases, I often comment on their soda choices. When days are slow and no one's around, I often ask Diet Coke purchasers if they've tried Coke Zero, and of course they never have, what with Coke's horrible marketing of it. The public still has no idea what Coke Zero is or how its different.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody else has done any drink preaching of their own? All the time I'll try to get others to try other products that I think they'd like. Anyone?

popologist
07-04-2006, 01:31 PM
if someone asks me what coke zero is, i usually say, "it's like diet coke, but tastes better."

i guess that's the one thing that coca-cola can't say in its ads. ;)

as for your un-scientific polling... well, my experience has been the same. a lot of people have never heard of coke zero, or, if they have, they think it's the one with splenda in it.

i'm of the suspicion now that coca-cola wants people to think that.

Mr Zabe
07-04-2006, 02:00 PM
DJHS,
It must be a soda pop freak thing because I chat with people in the soda pop isle all the time. I usually approach them when they are selecting Gatorade.(Note,the Woodman's sports drink section is adjancent to the soda pop section.) I say, "gee have you tried the new Rain flavors?" Then if they are receptive I will comment on the soda pop in their cart.

I ask them questions that are related to a brand or a sweetner that they have selected. Most times we just chat sometimes, I offer a recommendation. It's interesting to hear their opinions.

I always ask the soda pop Big Three route man/women what they drink. It's a good opening question. LOL

[ 07-04-2006, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

the saint
07-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:

I always ask the soda pop Big Three route man/women what they drink. It's a good opening question. LOL You're one of THOSE people??

[ 07-04-2006, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: the saint ]

fusion
07-04-2006, 10:23 PM
I am generally annoyed by cashiers who feel the need to comment on my purchases.

Mr Zabe
07-04-2006, 10:33 PM
I agree. I'm even more annoyed when they start a conversation with the bag person and then check out my stuff is super slow motion. LOL I have had the notion to lean over and yell "Get your A$s in gear and put the pedal to the medal". LOL

[ 07-04-2006, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

popologist
07-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
I am generally annoyed by cashiers who feel the need to comment on my purchases. me too! especially when they ask the obvious question, "is that good?"

well, obviously, if i'm buying it, i must think so! ;)

01GTB
07-05-2006, 12:49 AM
I don't mind small talk about a product when a cashier or bagger asks about something or makes a comment on it. But they better know what they are getting themselves into. I may not shut up about it :D

Mr Zabe
07-05-2006, 12:52 AM
So instead of a low talker (Seinfeld joke) your a long talker? LMAO

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-05-2006, 01:02 AM
Hey fusion, yeah I don't comment on people's purchases often, because I understand how it can be annoying. As with Zabe, I keep my comments for the laid back and receptive customers.

shadowlp06
07-06-2006, 04:36 AM
I had a cashier last night at Albertson's comment on my purchase of 4 pints of Ben and Jerry's ice cream, when I got to the register she said, "Ice Cream run," and I said, "Well my g/f couldn't decide on her flavor, so I just picked up her two and me two," and she was like "sure, uh huh" and then proceeded to name off every flavor I purchased...

Mind your own business lady!

wonkapete
07-06-2006, 03:49 PM
When I visit a new town, I'll find their grocery and see what they have that I don't have at home. Then, I always buy EVERYTHING I don't have. Sometimes its an entire cart full; $50-$60 worth of nothing but soda. I always get the 'you must be thirsty'... or 'these must be on sale'... everytime..

popologist
07-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by shadowlp06:
I had a cashier last night at Albertson's comment on my purchase of 4 pints of Ben and Jerry's ice cream, when I got to the register she said, "Ice Cream run," and I said, "Well my g/f couldn't decide on her flavor, so I just picked up her two and me two," and she was like "sure, uh huh" and then proceeded to name off every flavor I purchased...

Mind your own business lady! omg! i would've been so annoyed by that.

i know they're just trying to be friendly, but... i like to get my stuff and get out. maybe if there was less small talk going on, the line would move faster! ;)

hbg
07-07-2006, 12:26 AM
self checkout

shadowlp06
07-07-2006, 03:42 AM
Albertson's here doesn't have self checkouts...but then I buy all that ice cream at 3.59, and the next day Smith's has it on sale for 1.50

Dr. Galaga
07-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by shadowlp06:

Mind your own business lady! Good thing it was only ice cream you were buying and not... :eek: :D

Mr Zabe
07-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Energy drinks???? LMAO
Reminded me of when Hulk Hogan was trying to buy his daughter those stringy thingys. LOL

popologist
07-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Galaga:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by shadowlp06:

Mind your own business lady! Good thing it was only ice cream you were buying and not... :eek: :D </font>[/QUOTE];)

rackitup
07-08-2006, 02:09 PM
I worked 4 Pepsi when Pepsi 1 came out,

Albertsons had cubes on sale, a lady put 2 cubes of 1 in her cart, so I decided I would get her feedback of the product, I said "so U like Pepsi 1", she instantly feigned disbelief by the look on her face at my question, at that moment I asked myself why I was bothering the poor customer,LOL, she then stated "no I hate that stuff", I said by the looks of the contents of her cart "some 1 sure likes it", she said "S#!T I put it in my cart by mistake, thanks".

After that episode I always made sure the customer was friendly B 4 I would ask them a beverage related question,LOL.