PDA

View Full Version : Sodas found on a trip to Oklahoma City

The Doomite
06-21-2004, 04:01 AM
Hey y'all,
My sister got married this past Saturday, the 19th, so I took a trip to Oklahoma City to be in her wedding. I went to lunch with the family on Friday. The restaurant we ate at (deli-type place) had a whole cooler full of Cool Mountain sodas, in a bunch of different flavors. I ended up getting a bottle of the Watermelon soda to drink with my soup and sandwich combo. Not quite what I was expecting, but it wasn't bad stuff. Ended up getting four more bottles (kiwi, peach, ginger ale, and mango) that day, to bring back to New Mexico with me. I actually got to eat at the same restaurant today before my flight back, and I bought a bottle of the kiwi flavor this time. Nothing much to write home about here, it was pretty "bland" as far as flavors go, but it was still sweet and drinkable. I'll have word on the other flavors as I try them (they're chilling in my fridge as I type this out).

Also, driving home from the airport in Lubbock, TX this afternoon, I stopped at a convenience store on the way out of town. They had a few bottles of the Barq's Rootbeer Floats (What is it with people using "Z" when they mean "S?!") in the store, so I bought one of those too. Like the Cool Mountain stuff, I'll post my opinion when I taste the Barq's Float (I can't bring myself to misuse the "Z" like that!).

As you can probably guess, I live basically out in the middle of nowhere, so sodas like the ones I desribed here are hard to find! *LOL* I'm just glad I found these; they'll give me something different to try every day for about a working week. The Doomite Is Out! :eek:

Shatter
06-21-2004, 05:57 AM
Too bad you didn't go through Laredo, because they're bottling Dr Pepper made with Imperial Pure Cane Sugar there. They got tired of people bringing in high quality Dr Pepper from Dublin, so instead of clamping down on stores selling it, they decided to give the customers what they wanted, and made it themselves.

The Doomite
06-26-2004, 12:10 AM
Well, all the Cool Mountains that were in my fridge have been consumed, and I have to say that I was largely unimpressed. They didn't necessarily taste bad, it's just that I was expecting a little more flavor. The peach flavor wasn't at all like Big K Peach soda, which I like a lot. However, the mango and ginger ale weren't bad. The ginger ale kinda reminded me of Vernor's Ginger Soda, and the mango had enough flavor to be interesting to me.

As for the Barq's Float, I thought it was very good. It had about the perfect combination of root beer and cream soda flavor. I'd even go so far as to say that it tasted a lot like Henry Weinhard's root beer. Coming from me, that's high praise.

OK, looks like my work is done here. The Doomite Is Out! :eek:

Robot
06-26-2004, 12:29 AM
man, i wish they'd release that barqs floatz everywhere... i really want to try it out sometime...

Colap1mp
08-12-2004, 12:47 PM
I really like C2 because classic has way too much sugar in it and it makes my stomach hurt which sucks because I like the taste of coke. And diet is not an option cause the taste of aspertame is awfull! C2 lets me enjoy a cola without a tummy ache! yay for C2

DietCokeEnthusiast
08-12-2004, 01:09 PM
I ordered a thing of floatZ on a site and I haven't gotten them yet...can't wait till I do smile.gif

Cheer-wined
08-12-2004, 08:58 PM
i agree with the earlier comments about cool mountain. it looks great in those glass bottles but the soda is boring. i've tried 5 or 6 flavors and none was very interesting. but they do look great!

Shatter
08-13-2004, 12:37 AM
I like watermelon sodas, I don't think that there's enough of them. Their Cool Mountain Watermelon Soda is just a little too weak.

justingilmore
08-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Well if you haven't had a chance to get Floatz yet you may not. I talked to a Coke rep about why these things are so hard to find (I live in the Fort Worth, Texas area and only one place around here has them) and he said that due to a problem with the bottle maker the Floatz were being discontinued. Hopefully Coke will find a new supplier because these are some of the best drinks I have tasted.

Shatter
08-31-2004, 02:52 PM
I don't think it's been discontinued from the New Orleans bottler, they probably stopped shipping them in from there because they aren't selling as well as they thought. Floatz was all over South Louisiana, along with Barq's Floatz frozen ice cream cups.

sodasommelier
09-01-2004, 11:24 AM
Come on, Coca-Cola discontinues "because of a problem with the bottle maker"???? What a lame excuse that is. If Coke cannot push its weight around with bottle makers, then how is anyone else in this world going to obtain bottles? Why do they have to hide behind these lies instead of simply admitting that they didn't reach whatever number they decided they needed and that now they're going to drop it and keep their customers from having what they want once again. Now it goes on display at the museum in Atlanta and reverts to their suing anyone who tries to imitate it. My recommendation is that if you really like it, stock up or forever hold your peace!

Just another example of how wonderful it is when a BIG BIG company buys a small 'good' one and makes 'big corporate decisions' which deprive the public of the fruits of peoples' innovations. If this were Barq's Inc it would still be around... and in all cities that sell Barq's if their bottlers want it...