PDA

View Full Version : Mexi pepsi is pulled from online stores!!!

SplitLevelP
06-25-2004, 11:36 PM
It seem the last time i got my mexican pepsi shipped in on the 23rd of June 2004 may be the last time if pepsi has there way.Leading online bev stores like pop the soda shop and soda king have pulled the plug on 12 oz and 16.9 oz bomber size mexican pepsi due to threats of legal action from pepsi.

This is a real shame since the trafficing is not truly going to hurt local sales since there is of course no plan to offer this longneck glass option in any local areas of the usa. The only places i knew that had this as a option and could be seen as a market blitz against the local bottler would have been south east Iowa or Memphis ,MO. I don't even think they run 16 oz eight packs any more.

Let me know if any of you know of any online company taking a stand and keeping product online and in stock.The group opinion to this story will be something I look forward to seeing on here as well since most of you that drink Pepsi prefer it this way like I do.If i hear of any change to this or about legal action hitting a court of law I will keep it posted.

bigrich
06-26-2004, 12:30 AM
Mexican Pepsi can readily be found in many Mexican groceries in both sizes. It does not compete anywhere because Lewiston shut down their 10oz line, Davenport shut down their 12oz line, and Memphis has shutdown their 16oz line. Uno's Pizza bought 10,000 12oz bottles from AD Huesing (Davenport) that were not recycled. They had the bottles filled in Memphis and glued into crates for display in their restaurants. That was not enough for all their restauarants and bought Memphis's remaining 16oz stock. Memphis still bottles 10oz and did aquire Lewiston's 10oz bottles. They do not sell them in any retail establishment and you must trade bottles. It will not be long before they shut down too.

chrisj
06-26-2004, 01:28 PM
I assume that these are returnable bottles.

bigrich
06-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Mexican bottles are not returable in the US because just getting them back to Mexico is more than the deposit. Memphis, MO does 10oz returnables but not for much longer. You must trade bottles for a refill at the bottler.

No Soda
06-30-2004, 10:45 PM
Just had a Mexican Pepsi from a Mexican grocery in Port Chester, NY. It's a shame the American bottlers don't try to join 'em instead of beat 'em by re-establishing refillable lines. I feel that there are enough soft drink consumers who, if given the choice, would make this effort worthwhile.

bigrich
07-01-2004, 01:52 AM
What I am seeing here is Mexican product showing up in local stores like Shell Gas for $1.09.

BottleBoss
07-01-2004, 09:21 AM
Speaking of Mexican drinks I picked up a few bottles of Mexican Orange Crush in refillable bottles last friday. The bottles are very similar to the throw away ones you can buy here in the U.S.. Soda taste- not all that great, kind of weak actually.

sodasommelier
07-24-2004, 10:56 PM
The reality is that the Pepsi lawyers pressure and threaten all of the onliners etc but cannot seem to come up with any explanation as to why the customs still lets it cross the border (and not in small amounts). However, I think that the customer base of the onliners is not much of a financial force against the power of Pepsi. Maybe what everyone can do is to avoid buying Pepsi in any package at all; avoid buying food in restaurants owned by Pepsi, and find some sort of glass-bottled cola that does not make you feel like you're supporting people who want to deprive you of what you want and deserve as an American citizen. Shame on anyone who exerts pressure to take away the choice of the American people. At the end of the day, if this were anything of consequence financially, they could just bottle it on their own; after all they own the brand. By threatening, strongarming, and depriving people they are acting like the Soviets used to act.. shame shame shame!