PDA

View Full Version : Why coke? WHY??

SodaAddict
12-18-2005, 11:47 AM
I am a soda freak. I come here all the time, as I recently found a really cheap soda called Ritz for .33 cents, that wasn't reviewed on this site. I looked everywhere. it didnt even come up on google! Its like when I bought that brand of stuff in lousiana that didn't exist. The company was made! The site didn't exist! It was called Rocket and Rolly.

You guys are great. I didnt even know this place had a forum. Do you have alot members?

I'm only 17, and I do wish I was old enough to be back in the 70's

Yes,I heard coca cola switched from the real sugar to corn syrup because of it being cheaper. Its always about money, isn't it?

Doesn't this alter the taste? I swear when I go down to mexico the cane sugar ones with the glass bottles taste better!

Didn't they loose customers over this?

I'm also upset they changed the bottles from glass to plastic and now rip people off. You get like a 12 oz bottle or less (glass) about 4 of them, for the 'low low price' of 4 dollars.

Yet you can go to mexico (I used to live like an hour away) and get a huge 20 oz+ glass bottle, with no corn syrup, for only 40 cents!

DJ HawaiianShirt
12-18-2005, 11:58 AM
I think that the only customers Coke lost with the switch to high fructose corn syrup were the reviewers at BevNET.

SEV ;)

SodaAddict
12-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Are you saying the taste change was so subtle? It seems like a big change to me, isn't it a whole different type of a sugar?

Ive worked in fast food before and basically its all the flavoring in a syrup pouch. It sucks if the stuff gets on you, or your clothes..

DJ HawaiianShirt
12-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Sure, it affects the taste dramatically, and especially the way it goes down. But is that enough to deter Coke fans? Probably not. Is it enough to deter BevNET? Well... just read reviews of as many Coke products as you can and tell me.

SEV smile.gif

SodaAddict
12-18-2005, 12:22 PM
That's another thing. I used to prefer coke, but now i prefer pepsi. My dad says he prefres coke and pepsi tastes flat, i guess it does at times, but it also seems more crisp and less surgary. I actually surprised myself.

At school when I bought my 2 24 oz bottles of pepsi, my 2 20 oz bottles of coke, and my 2 water bottles for the 4 hour day, I always drank the coke. So I tried the pepsi, and i couldnt believe how good it tasted. But even pepsi used high frystose corn syrup

Now to my point: Why do they hate coke so much? I do enjoy vanilla coke, and cherry coke. Did they like the oringial before the corn syrup?

By the way thanks you're a huge help

sodablog
12-18-2005, 01:18 PM
The bulk of sodas in America use HFCS. I personally prefer sodas sweetened with Cane Sugar, but there are no easily available (stocked on grocery shelves) sodas with Cane Sugar that taste better than those sweetened with HFCS, IMO. Farming (and corn) in the US is subsidized by the government, and thus cheaper to use HFCS.

On the issue of glasses v. plastic - it's cheaper to use plastic. Plastic doesn't break nearly as often as glass does either, so it makes sense for companies to go with plastic or aluminum.

RunWithDaLilGuy
12-18-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by SodaAddict:
Are you saying the taste change was so subtle? It seems like a big change to me, isn't it a whole different type of a sugar?

Ive worked in fast food before and basically its all the flavoring in a syrup pouch. It sucks if the stuff gets on you, or your clothes.. it's not subtle...but people are resigned to change.

also, formulas are changed all the time, subtly. it's no joke that bud light changed their formula. major brewers change the formulas of their beers all the time to reflect changes in the tastes of consumers.

consumers didn't notice the difference. coke's a coke. sucks, don't it?>

ramonazo
12-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by SnappleElementsVenom:
I think that the only customers Coke lost with the switch to high fructose corn syrup were the reviewers at BevNET.

SEV ;) Good one! :D

Mr Zabe
12-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Funny how we take for granted how abundant soda pop is in the US. The US has the most vast food and drink supply as compared to any other county in the world.

Think about how many places and choices we have to satisfy our liquid addictions. Yes a Coke is a Coke and Pepsi is a Pepsi yet we have the absolute ease to get one when and where we please.

Really we live like royalty in the US.

jmyjunk
12-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by SodaAddict:

Yes,I heard coca cola switched from the real sugar to corn syrup because of it being cheaper. Its always about money, isn't it?
Well, Coke and Pepsi have been doing this for years. The only time when you can be certain you are getting cane sugared coke or pepsi, is when they producue their Kosher for Passsover Coke/Pepsi.

SodaAddict
12-18-2005, 09:12 PM
What is kosher?

Mr Zabe
12-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Try doing a Google search.
Kosher is a set of Jewish dietary laws that religious Jewish people follow.

Marc
12-26-2005, 01:51 PM
In germany all sodas are still made with normal sugar. I love it. I dont like the artificial taste of coke in america. Though ur guys┬┤ pepsi is way better

Softdrinker
12-26-2005, 02:12 PM
I didnt know Coke switched from sugar to the other. I dont drink Coke...or any other cola...very much. Every once in a while.

Of the 2 I think I prefer Coke over Pepsi but neither are even on my list of favorite soft drinks.

And what are my favorites you ask?... smile.gif

Original Fresca
New flavor Frescas
7up Plus
Canada Dry ginger ale
Sprite Berry Clear(wish they hadnt of discontinued it)
IBC Root Beer
Barqs Creme Soda
Schweppes ginger ale

Mike