PDA

View Full Version : Legalities

Falcosa
07-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Good Morning,

Hi, I'm very new to this stuff. I have a question regarding the legalities that arise from mixing two products that are already on the market. Is it illegal to mix two beverages (For example: coke and mountain dew) and then slap on a label of your own? How do I go about finding if a company has a patent on the ingredients? Is there a government website with this information?

Thanks

NRGSLLR
07-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Look at the link below your question. wwww.bevlaw.com they could probably answer your question

CStoreCatMan
07-07-2006, 02:49 PM
I think if you used your own cola and citrus soda instead of actual brand names like Coke and Dew you'd be fine. But I don't see how one could possibly pour Coca-Cola Classic and Mountain Dew into a new package and resell it...that can't be legal. You're right to say the ingredients probably aren't protected...but you can be sure the forumulas are!

shadowlp06
07-08-2006, 02:47 AM
I am not in the legal business but the previous post is right. You couldn't take a Coke and Mountain Dew and bottle it as your own. The formulas are most likely protected as well as the name. Thats why knock offs like Sam's Choice, Big K, etc have cheesy names. What would your product be called Mt. Coke? DewCoke? could have some catchy slogans if you could...haha. :D