PDA

View Full Version : Has soda effected your health?

SodaAddict
12-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Well I just graduated high school. I have trouble making friends and girlfriends. i was born 3 months premature, 1 lb 15 oz. When I was 14, I became addictd to an online game. I spent all day on it, and eat in my romo, etc, and did not exciser. This caused me to gain weight. ALot.

MainlY I gained weight because i drank too much soda. And I have sever depression which doesnt help

Recently my sleep schedule has been off. I only eat one meal a day or less (Because the time I wake up) and I've gone from 201 lbs to 194 in less than a week apparently.

So has soda effected your health? I'm not like most fat people I don't gorge food or anything, I can control myself but I don't excerise

Im a soda addict. I've finally found my niche with other soda addicts. I love you guys smile.gif

drpep
12-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Soda is only a small part of your problem fella.

SodaAddict
12-18-2005, 10:51 PM
what else is? not excerising?

RunWithDaLilGuy
12-19-2005, 12:16 AM
you should leave

SodaAddict
12-19-2005, 12:32 AM
I should leave..that doesn't make any sense.

ramonazo
12-19-2005, 01:37 AM
Do some walking man on the street man, I enjoy walking... (well, sometimes I drink one or two sodas on the journey :D ), but follow my advice, take a little of your time to walk!... Like the Ad Council recent commercials say... Take little steps to get healthy.

And well... soda IMO affects if you drink a lot soda, for example if you drink soda in the breakfast, in the lunch and in the dinner...everyday, although I hope you don't do that, it's a problem, maybe one soda in a day is not a big problem, but drinking 2 liters in a day maybe this is a big problem...

Although my family advices me to stop drinking sodas, well... I can't control my soda habit, but I do 20 min. in the treadmill in the morning everyday. Do some walking, you'll feel good and you'll have fun!

[ 12-19-2005, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

SodaAddict
12-19-2005, 01:42 AM
Yeah it's a big problem. one soda a day ? no way . i used to break 2 24 oz bottles to school, and more than that.

Mr Nethead
12-19-2005, 04:37 AM
I know what it's like to be addicted to soda. Drinking water helps. Water has no calories and takes up space in your stomach.

Also, if it's available in your area, you might try vitaminwater. It's not exactly low-cal; 150 calories per 20 ounce bottle. Still, that's about half the calories of some soda. And of course, there is the benefit of all those vitamins.

Soda is great. But you've got to save some calories for food, dude.

Mr Zabe
12-19-2005, 05:37 AM
Do you smoke,do you drink booze,do eat mostly fast food,do you drive like a maniac????

If no to these questions then, drink your sodas,learn how to enjoy a good glass of seltzer water or some no cal soda pop,walk faster to the washroom (little joke LOL) and most likely you will loose a few pounds. Drinking soda pop requires a game plan. Enjoy but try to so in moderation. Yes, there will be bad days where you will drink more than you should but on average keep moderation in mind and drink low cal drinks as much as you can tolerate.

[ 12-19-2005, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

pitch_spice
12-19-2005, 06:04 AM
i'm just glad i have high metabolism

sodablog
12-19-2005, 11:09 AM
I agree with Ramón Coca-Colero, get out of your room and walk around. Besides that, I usually knock out a 12 pack of 12 oz cans in 3 days, so I drink Pepsi One almost exclusively. The only times I drink other sodas (w/ calories) is if I find a new soda and want to try it.

Take your favourite non-diet soda and rank 1-10 how much you like it (A). Take your favourite diet soda and determine it's score (B).

Calorieking.com has a 12 oz can of regular Pepsi having 166 calories. 1 lb of fat is 3,500 calories. So, assuming you're maintaining your weight by eating what you do now, you'll gain 1 lb per ~21 cans of Pepsi or you'll lose 1 lb for every 21 cans of Pepsi you remove from your diet. If the cost of not getting those 166 calories is too high (you judge A-B to equal a utility more than 166 calories) then drink up. If not, choose the diet variety.

ramonazo
12-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Well... In a world where we are surrounded by food temptations it's not easy to resist... I remember when I went to U.S. in last new years eve, me and my family ate in fast food restaurants like Whataburger or Pizza Hut, we ate until getting full in the continental breakfast in the hotel we stayed, and those delicious snacks and cakes, and... OMG! those Little Debbie fudge brownies and oatmeal creme pies! and of course that great variety of sodas and drinks, with that great and tasty food variety in U.S. that you can't find in another place... who can resist?

[ 12-19-2005, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

SodaAddict
12-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Yeah I agree completly ramon. It's hard. I never used to be this way, it all started when I got addicted to an onlie game (maybe puberty?) beacuse I am 17

No, I don't smoke. Yes, I eat out way too often. But otherwise, no.

My parents are also heavy drinkers, but I probably drink more.

Of all three of us, we probably go through a 1 liter pepsi in as little as a day, usually 2 days.

I never knew there was a calorieranking site, thats cool. Recently I went down from 201 lbs to 194

greg
12-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Soda addict,
On the label of every can or bottle of soda is a nutritional statemnent. It usually list the amount of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats in your drink. Sometimes even sodium is listed. Stay away from sodas that have high amounts of sugars (carbohydrates) in them. This is what is helping to fuel your weight gain. BY eliciting an insulin response it makes your body more efficient at storing fat. The more fat you have the more insulin that is secreted everytime you drink a soda. Combined with eating out alot you have put yourself at a disadvantage.
The good news is that you recognize you have a problem and you are willing to try and find answers to them.
There are many sites out there that can help you learn to eat a more healhthy diet. By that I don't mean carrots and lettuce all day. There are plenty of good tasting foods that you can use to reach your goals.
Furthermore, By eating only one time a day that is also slowing down your metabolism as well as being unhealthy. Try eating 6-7 small meals throughout the day. By doing this you will keep your metabolism high because your body will be able to digest the food more efficiently as well as be able to use it more effeciently.
Stay away from sodas and starchy foods late at night or within 3 hours of bedtime. I gaurantee you you will see a difference real quick if you follow half of this advice.
Good luck!

SodaAddict
12-19-2005, 04:39 PM
How small of meals?

Thanks

DJ HawaiianShirt
12-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Cutting your soda intake by at least some is one of the quickest ways to lower your calorie intake, which causes you to gain weight.

Two 24oz a day? That's 600 calories or so, and up to 800 with some of the sweeter sodas. That's almost half the daily recommended calorie allowance for the average person. Cutting that down, to say, a can or so a day is a great start.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news. But all of us here on the board are just like you, we have to watch how much we drink, or else we gain weight. Unless you're the evil kind of person with the high metabolism that allows you to eat and drink whatever you want.

SEV smile.gif

Nick Laugher
12-19-2005, 05:50 PM
I was addicted to energy drinks for a while, i was going on like 5 a day for a while...expensive habit.

ramonazo
12-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by SnappleElementsVenom:
Two 24oz a day? That's 600 calories or so, and up to 800 with some of the sweeter sodas. That's almost half the daily recommended calorie allowance for the average person. Cutting that down, to say, a can or so a day is a great start.SEV is right... last saturday I drank one 24 oz. Coke and I got full, It's amazing that you could drink two 24 oz. bottles of soda or more everyday!

[ 12-19-2005, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

yankees26mlb
12-19-2005, 06:05 PM
try going outside. and drink less soda.

fizzbizz
12-19-2005, 06:08 PM
kinda hard to take this guy seriously. I agree with Drpep and Run.

Mr Zabe
12-19-2005, 06:08 PM
My friend try searching Google. Put a little energy into it. If you can figure out how to use a message board you can figure out how to search
for the information you need.

That or find a message board where diet and weight loss are discussed. It appears you need
some extra guidance that we may not be able to give you.

My advice is to get off the couch and join a health club or walk outside. In activity in general is what keep those pounds on. Ease back on food. You know what you need to eat. Your a smart guy. Carrots instead of chips. Drink water.
Cut back soda pop two 1 sugar soda pop a day.

Hey, stop wondering and do. Take a small action step. Do it today. Keep your goal on you mind.
When you want a soda pop or a cookie, take a moment, drink some water and take a deep breath.
Now you can make the choice....eat to eat or feel feelings and take care of yourself.

Emotional eating is what most of us suffer from.
It's ok to feel pain and stress. Eat health and drink water.

You can do it. smile.gif

[ 12-19-2005, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

pepsidew
12-19-2005, 06:10 PM
try to drink juice and water instead of soda - i know it may not be very exciting but there are alot of really good juices out there - maybe try walking a few miles to a grocery store and reward yourself with some juice. good luck.

greg
12-19-2005, 06:29 PM
The small meals should be something like this.
Dinner
4oz chicken breast,
1/2 cup Broccolli
1/4 Brown Rice.

Breakfast- Try Oatmeal, not the instant in the packets, too much sugar. Use the kind in the tub. Oatmeal will fill you up and keep your insulin levels low.

Lunch- Turkey Breast Sandwich
Low fat chips
Diet Soda.

A great way to get your meals in is to buy Meal Replacements. Drinks that come in a packet that you mix with water or milk depending on your goals.These have all the macronurients you need to keep your body in a state of metabolism while proving you with the protein/ carbohydrate/fat ratios.

xJABBERWOCKx
12-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Juice has as many, or more, calories than soda, although it is more wholesome. Try going vegan or vegetarian, or at least cutting out some animal products from your diet. Watch the pounds melt off. And walking, as everyone else says, is good advice of course.

I drink a lot of Mountain Dew...sometimes it makes me extremely hyper, so I guess all the bouncing off the walls burns off the calories.

the saint
12-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Instead of sitting on your keister typing on a message board, get up and do something like leave...now

DJ HawaiianShirt
12-19-2005, 10:42 PM
I don't want to echo what everyone's saying with a post, but I want to emphasize, like everyone else has, how great walking is for a first and easy step.

SEV smile.gif

SodaAddict
12-20-2005, 03:05 AM
Thanks everyone, you people are very helpful! I am so happy I found a soda forum. I never knew they existed

The 4 oz chicken instead of turkey or maybe another lean meat would work. I did take food/nutrition class in high school a few years ago. But I forgot most of it

I think I will begin to walk, it's not that hard. I should walk while i can; its cool outside. Today it was around 75, which is very cool for arizona. In summer it is a blistering 115 degrees +, I just cannot stand to walk in that heat. I want to move, hehe.

I don't know how I can drink so much soda. but I never drink water, only sodsa. Maybe thats why? I guess it takes practice. DRinking too much too often.