PDA

View Full Version : what if coke changed formula again...

popologist
12-19-2005, 06:57 AM
ok. hear me out. ;)

what if coke classic went back on sugar?

the change would definitely get lots of media attention, and, i think, it would be 100% POSITIVE, since they're reformulating to a "superior" ingredient.

of course, coke would have to charge a bit more for the product (i'm not quite sure what the margins would be), but... doing so would re-establish coke as the "premier" (or high-end) cola, and would renew A LOT of interest in the brand.

basically, coke would be putting the "classic" back in coca-cola.

i suppose, they could also keep the HFCS version and call it something else, like... "coca-cola cousin"... LOL! but that might defeat the whole purpose.

anyway... would adding sugar (and, most likely, increasing the price) be suicide for their market share and stock price, or could this be a change that could only reap rewards?

[ 12-19-2005, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: popologist ]

Android
12-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Doubt it will happen on any large scale unless the US dropped the import restrictions and tarriffs on foreign sugar, which won't happen because the price collapse that would ensue, would probably put anyone producing sugar in the US out of business in short order.

The number of consumers that would seriously "care" about such a change aren't numerous enough for it be worth Coke's - or Pepsi's effort to make such a change. To most of us here, yeah it would be a big deal, but if general consumerdom were clamoring loudly for this, it would be done. But a lot of people don't give a *bleetp*. They've probably got years of contracts on their supply HFCS lined up as it is.

The growing amount of stories about how bad HFCS can be for some people may, in time, change some consumers' attitudes regarding this though. Time will tell.

And, remember, for those who want real sugar in their Coke or Pepsi, it is produced, in limited markets once a year for to be Kosher certified during Passover. Do a search on this site for "Kosher" and you'll find more info about it.

-Andy

popologist
12-22-2005, 04:57 AM
you're probably right. this will never happen. :(

01GTB
12-25-2005, 03:54 AM
A lot of the current Coca-Cola drinkers of today have never had a cane sugar-sweetened anything, probably think what they are drinking has sugar, and could care less if you tried to explain it to them. I'd be willing to say 99% of 15-25 year-olds would look at you with a blank stare if you told them about how much better cane sugar drinks tasted than HFCS drinks :D And that is the real shame of it. Wall Street and people who could care less drive this market :(